Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 11:02   #871
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Sorry to hijack a thread suddenly cosidering costs the linea 1.4 turbo seems to be a good alternative except for the non availability of a automatic.this is my 2 cents as I was considering the GT. Good space for 5 adults and luggage, maybe 50k more but you get a lot of features and comfartable car. The service attitude and competence on both VW and fiat are similar .
Old 11th June 2013, 17:46   #872
BHPian

Congrats DSarker on the TSI ! Wish you many many miles of exciting and reliable motoring! Do start the ownership thread too, this is one car we should watch for, as a bell-weather of how the enthusiasts take to turbo-petrols.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 18:01   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Sorry to hijack a thread suddenly cosidering costs the linea 1.4 turbo seems to be a good alternative except for the non availability of a automatic.
I would consider the value addition of the DSG gearbox to be atleast a 1 lakh over a manual transmission.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:40   #874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSarker View Post

"Wiper service mode" is a cover up for a huge design fault where the wiper arms cannot be folded outwards to wipe the windscreen because it is obstructed by the bonnet. It's an irritation to first wipe the windscreen, then use water if necessary, then put it to "service mode" and then repeat the process.
This seems to be a feature rather than fault .
Aerodynamics? The wipers rest below the bonnet level. It's the same on my Laura.

BTW, in the Laura, if you open the bonnet and don't lock it fully, the wipers do not operate. Also, the wipers choose between 2 different rest positions everytime you stop them - to reduce the rubber wear (or to avoid localized wear).
Old 11th June 2013, 20:14   #875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Regarding a lot of different opinions on the DSG, I'd like to add my 2 cents.
- Coasting to a halt is advised to be done in N mode when you know you have to stop. (Met a person who was trained in the Chakan plant who said its always better to get off the D or S mode if you know you are arriving at a set of lights.)
Congratulations on the baby TSi! It is a nice car for city use. I have driven mine in the city for about 500kms till now and I am quite happy with the car. In the highway, I am spoilt by the 1.8TSi and hence find the polo TSi unimpressive.

Regarding the DSG, it is clearly mentioned in the manual that you should engage N only when the car is stationary. Since it has got dry clutch, the lubrication system if inadequate may cause problems in the long run.
I would go with the manual than a trained guy from Chakan.

A lot has been discussed regarding this in european forums. Even towing for long distances may damage the gearbox. Thats why dolly towing (with front wheels up) or a flat bed is recommended for cars with dry clutch 7 speed DSG.
robimahanta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 20:42   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Regarding the DSG, it is clearly mentioned in the manual that you should engage N only when the car is stationary.
I've been used coasting to a halt in N since the last 1.5 years in my ANHC. Will have to get used to breaking the habit on the DSG
Old 11th June 2013, 22:00   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
A lot has been discussed regarding this in european forums. Even towing for long distances may damage the gearbox. Thats why dolly towing (with front wheels up) or a flat bed is recommended for cars with dry clutch 7 speed DSG.
Oh! I learnt a new thing. Are torque converter and CVT gear-boxes wet clutch? I need some education here. Can they be towed normally. On all fours.
Old 11th June 2013, 23:24   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Oh! I learnt a new thing. Are torque converter and CVT gear-boxes wet clutch? I need some education here. Can they be towed normally. On all fours.
I guess all the auto boxes available in India feature a wet clutch save the VW 7 speed DSG (DQ200). I am not sure about the Powershift DCT in the new Ford Fiesta.

After a bit of research, I feel the best thing to do with the 7 speed DSG is to shift to N after stopping completely at a signal to reduce heat build up but taking care not to shift to N whilst the car is in motion. Experts may know better.
Old 12th June 2013, 00:24   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This seems to be a feature rather than fault .
Aerodynamics? The wipers rest below the bonnet level. It's the same on my Laura.

BTW, in the Laura, if you open the bonnet and don't lock it fully, the wipers do not operate. Also, the wipers choose between 2 different rest positions everytime you stop them - to reduce the rubber wear (or to avoid localized wear).
The problem is, if there's already dust on the windshield its quite a chore to first get rid of the dirt, use water if necessary and then do the same once the wipers are up. All our cars are washed/cleaned every day and I can't help but feel the tedium of the person doing the cleaning.
The simplest way to work (speaking from a designer's POV) is shift the motor link under the bonnet line, introduce a bend and just have the service mode lift the blade by an inch or so. Or as Mercedes did with the '99 E220, introduce the hinge slightly later than a conventional blade. Problem solved.

Silly question: Wht on earth didn't VW go with a wet clutch??
Apparently that solves much more than it creates.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th June 2013 at 07:24.
Old 12th June 2013, 03:48   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Silly question: Wht on earth didn't VW go with a wet clutch??
Apparently that solves much more than it creates.
That is because wet clutches are less efficient than dry clutches. Though dry clutches are problematic, they are the advanced technology with superior efficiency and all manufacturers are moving towards dry dual clutch transmissions. Here is a good explanation comparing the wet & dry DSG gearbox.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post54908019
Old 12th June 2013, 10:33   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is, if there's already dust on the windshield its quite a chore to first get rid of the dirt, use water if necessary and then do the same once the wipers are up. All our cars are washed/cleaned every day and I can't help but feel the tedium of the person doing the cleaning.
The simplest way to work (speaking from a designer's POV) is shift the motor link under the bonnet line, introduce a bend and just have the service mode lift the blade by an inch or so. Or as Mercedes did with the '99 E220, introduce the hinge slightly later than a conventional blade. Problem solved.
It's not a big deal really, just lift the rubber momentarily and wipe. I wash my cars myself and this one did not bother me much in last 3 years except for one thing that I miss - I can't use just the spray which I can on other cars to soak the windshield. Check the other feature I mentioned - that reduces the rubber wear.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 11:00   #882

Another doubt: The short while that I've been driving around in the vw, I noticed that the windshield mists very quickly with the AC running. This isn't the case with our Baleno or the Fortuner. Even though the blower is directed away from the windscreen. It got to a point where yesterday, I couldn't see ahead at all and had to stop for a while to let the temperatures outside and inside come to a balance.
Any solutions?
Old 12th June 2013, 13:30   #883
sdh
BHPian

Just saw this on India Today website "Volkswagen recalls 26,000 cars for gearbox problems in Australia". The gearbox in question is seven-speed DQ200 direct-shift gearbox (DSG). The recall is for Golf, Jetta, Polo, Passat and Caddy models manufactured between June 2008 and September 2011. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/v.../1/279684.html

Volkswagen Australia said the mechanical problems did not affect cars currently being produced and sold. So I hope Polo TSI here is also not affected.

Last edited by sdh : 12th June 2013 at 13:33.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:37   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
If this is the car allotted to you, then what is it doing inside the showroom? Shouldn't it be in the stock yard instead? Is it being used as a display vehicle?
They had just one vehicle in the showroom here and it is the display vehicle. They don't even have a test drive vehicle in the showroom in visakhapatnam. That photo was taken on the day that i booked the display vehicle. I have taken delivery of it yesterday and now they do not have any display vehicle either .
Old 12th June 2013, 13:56   #885

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
Just saw this on India Today website "Volkswagen recalls 26,000 cars for gearbox problems in Australia". The gearbox in question is seven-speed DQ200 direct-shift gearbox (DSG). The recall is for Golf, Jetta, Polo, Passat and Caddy models manufactured between June 2008 and September 2011. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/v.../1/279684.html

Volkswagen Australia said the mechanical problems did not affect cars currently being produced and sold. So I hope Polo TSI here is also not affected.
I voiced concerns to the manager at the showroom regarding the dsq200. He said this is the batch which has been optimised for Asia. And also the engine size is smaller than the other vehicles it's employed in therefore the load and heat is lesser.

Unrelated directly to the current conversation, there's no details on any extended warranty yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks