Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 14:31   #886
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

A photo of my GT TSI that i took delivery of yesterday. I have an initial ownership review at this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-201306110761.jpg  

chase_nt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 16:06   #887

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
A photo of my GT TSI that i took delivery of yesterday. I have an initial ownership review at this link [/url].
Congratulations chase_nt. I'm word for word in agreement with you. There's volume control on the steering wheel though. Please check.
DSarker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 17:16   #888
BHPian

Quote:
They had just one vehicle in the showroom here and it is the display vehicle. They don't even have a test drive vehicle in the showroom in visakhapatnam. That photo was taken on the day that i booked the display vehicle. I have taken delivery of it yesterday and now they do not have any display vehicle either .
That is not very good. Display vehicles are subject to abuse from potential customers. People getting in and out all the time, playing around with each and every gadget, etc. Personally I'd rather wait for fresh stock than book a display vehicle. Just my 2 cents.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 18:19   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSarker View Post
Congratulations chase_nt. I'm word for word in agreement with you. There's volume control on the steering wheel though. Please check.
Thanks DSarker. I will check that. I haven't had a chance to actually play around with all the gadgets in the vehicle yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
That is not very good. Display vehicles are subject to abuse from potential customers. People getting in and out all the time, playing around with each and every gadget, etc. Personally I'd rather wait for fresh stock than book a display vehicle. Just my 2 cents.
I totally understand your point of view swarnava. I would also wait rather than buy a display vehicle. However i made an exception with the GT because the salesperson said that i need to wait for 3 weeks before a new GT arrives. Besides the VW showroom out here in Visakhapatnam hardly has any customers because it is located on the outskirts of the city and the number of people who are actually interested in such a vehicle from my city are very limited. The sales person also said that they do not have any customers who have evinced interest or booked the GT yet in Visakhapatnam.
chase_nt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 19:44   #890
BHPian

Quote:
I totally understand your point of view swarnava...
Cool then. As long as you are satisfied with it, everything is gud.

And congrats on your new buy!! Enjoy the lovely car. Just one OT suggestion from my side, please get that GT TSI sticker off from the side as soon as you can!!
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 02:54   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Any of the owner here planning to blank it out somehow? It really spoils the look.
Absolutely. I find it appalling that a manufacturer would even resort to sticking some cheap, tacky stickers on the car to differentiate it from other versions of the same model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esma1981 View Post
Although the pairing worked fine and I did make a test call also which was clear enough at the opposite end.
Actually I have to disagree. The voice of the party you are talking to is clear in the car, but the guy on the other end doesn't hear you very well. This is because in their effort to save costs, VW has used a head unit that was meant for LHD cars, where the mic for the Bluetooth is located on the left hand side of the head unit. This is ok, though not ideal, for a LHD car, but for a RHD car it's an utterly idiotic place to have the mic. Tell someone you're talking to, to comment on your voice quality both with your aircon on and then with it off. It gets much better with the aircon in the car off, because the blower is no longer messing with your voice!
kbk_75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 08:04   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Cool then. As long as you are satisfied with it, everything is gud.

And congrats on your new buy!! Enjoy the lovely car. Just one OT suggestion from my side, please get that GT TSI sticker off from the side as soon as you can!!
Thanks buddy. The sticker is definitely gonna have to go as its totally out of place on the vehicle.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:19   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Actually I have to disagree. The voice of the party you are talking to is clear in the car, but the guy on the other end doesn't hear you very well.
Hi kbk_75

The call I received was actually from my mum so I guessed if my mum can hear me clear enough, anyone can I will give it go in all conditions soon and confirm if I have the same issue.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:27   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esma1981 View Post
Hi kbk_75

The call I received was actually from my mum so I guessed if my mum can hear me clear enough, anyone can I will give it go in all conditions soon and confirm if I have the same issue.
Do that. I test cars pretty thoroughly when I test them, so it could be a one-off with that car, but I somehow doubt it. The placement of the mic is poor in the Polo GT's HU.

Get someone to sit in the car and call you. Aircon on, Aircon off. You'll notice the difference. There was no issue in the i20 or the A class, by comparison, because those mics are in the correct position above the driver.
Old 14th June 2013, 13:02   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Absolutely. I find it appalling that a manufacturer would even resort to sticking some cheap, tacky stickers on the car to differentiate it from other versions of the same model.
If its a sticker, then it'll be easier to remove. I just hope for the owners sake it is a sticker and not painted on. That white lettering looks awful and looked like paint when i'd driven by the GTI.
Old 14th June 2013, 23:23   #896
BHPian

Saw a red GT TSi today while coming back home with a MH 46 registration number. The car looked like a regular Polo but once I saw the sticker on the side, I knew what was under the hood. The car was just pristine. Right now, I so want to buy that car!
On a off-topic note, the TSi was right behind me near the Airoli circle. While I was driving sedately, a lady Scooty driver ahead of me just braked so hard that I had to immediately swerve right to avoid hitting her . The guy in the TSi probably had to brake real hard too. With the L sticker on the rear windshield of my car, he probably sent out a few choice expletives at me. I felt real bad about my driving. To top it off, this same lady stops near the signal at Sector-6 and gives me the look!!! The TSi overtook my car at the signal and all I could see was it's tail lights going away from me. Just to set the record straight, if this person is reading this or is a member here, I sincerely apologize to you. It was an accident and by no means was I trying to do anything stupid.
4nd3r50n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 23:37   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post
Just to set the record straight, if this person is reading this or is a member here, I sincerely apologize to you. It was an accident and by no means was I trying to do anything stupid.
Hi 4nd3r50n!

It was not me who was in the red polo GT but this is very noble of you. Wish all car owners in India would have half your etiquette.
esma1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 01:16   #898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvb View Post
Most of the videos of 1.2tsi mated with the 7speed dsg in Youtube have aprox 8 sec 0-100 times.. Wondering why and how is the indian version 11.6 seconds.
I spent a while with the Polo 1.2 GT TSI, and though I didn't get to give it the best run i would have liked, i managed to pull the following 0-100 km/h time:

9.91 seconds in the wet
  • Measured with a dedicated GPS timing device
  • On regular gas (i bet 97 octane would help)
  • Tried both ESP on / off but it was hard to pin-point which was better due to limited number of runs & lack of traction or tyre noise due to the wet
  • The times for all my runs were (from memory) 11.19 sec, 10.20 sec, 9.91 sec, 10.80 sec. So its definitely in the 9-10 sec range.
  • I used "S" mode for the gearbox
  • Using both your feet on the accelerator + brake would just end up disengaging the DSG clutch. This works on a torque converter automatic, but on this DSG it does not. If you do this, you lose time on launch since the clutch will have to re-engage, though maybe there's still a way to make it work, i didn't take this route. What i did was handbrake + accelerator to build up revvs a little and engage the clutch. Don't do this for too long and do NOT press the brake pedal. Then drop the handbrake to launch.
  • It touches hundred in 3rd gear @ ~ 6,000 rpm
Some other points:
  • Do NOT use the hand-brake when stopping in "D" at traffic lights. The car will start to engage the clutch (you'll notice the rear of the car squatting). This will either (a) burn out your clutch and damage your gearbox or (b) cause the car to move forward. Using the foot brake is okay as doing so dis-engages the clutch. For long stops, "P" is best.
  • Given that the car has hill-start-assist, the above issue seems like a bit of an oversight. They should have wired the handbrake to dis-engage the clutch as well (just like the brake pedal does).
  • It will happily down-shift multiple gears when you get on the gas. Example from 7th to 4th.
  • Though the head-unit is more feature rich than the Vento, the sound quality is worse. Assuming the newer RCD 320 HU doesn't lack quality compared to the Vento's RCD 310, the speakers are probably the weakest link here. I'd give it 7.5/10 for SQ. The bass lacked the tight punch.

cya
R

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2013 at 11:55. Reason: PM'ing
Rehaan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 01:34   #899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I spent a while with the Polo 1.2 GT TSI, and though I didn't get to give it the best run i would have liked, i managed to pull the following 0-100 km/h time:

9.91 seconds in the wet
  • Measured with a dedicated GPS timing device
  • On regular gas (i bet 97 octane would help)
  • Tried both ESP on / off but it was hard to pin-point which was better due to limited number of runs & lack of traction or tyre noise due to the wet
  • The times for all my runs were (from memory) 11.19 sec, 10.20 sec, 9.91 sec, 10.80 sec. So its definitely in the 9-10 sec range.
  • Accelerator + braking would disengage the DSG clutch, and you lose time on launch while the clutch re-engages and revs build up. This might be a common problem affecting some of the timing tests run. What you need to do is handbrake + accelerator to build up revvs a little and engage the clutch. Don't do this for too long and do NOT press the brake pedal. Then drop the handbrake to launch.
  • It touches hundred in 3rd gear @ ~ 6,000 rpm
cya
R
Good one! With regular gas and ESP I have managed low 10's based on VCDS logs on an average. I think with slightly better tire compound and 97 octane, sub 10s is possible. In my laura, I have managed mid to high 6 secs and there too, tires prove to be the weakest link with the ASR going bonkers.

Last edited by robimahanta : 17th June 2013 at 01:36.
Old 17th June 2013, 15:24   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSarker View Post
Got delivery of my vehicle..Gonna make a long distance trip soon and hope to uncover more about her. Attaching some pictures taken during and after the delivery. Also of the custom dog tags I got as a keychain.
>>>

Congrats on the GT.
let us have your initial driving experience after your long drive- for the benefit of the fence sitters.

Regards
issigonis

Most Viewed