Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:44   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Agreed , there is a strong cost element to it but unfortunately 95 as a specific grade which would be cheaper is not available. I have seen some pumps especially on the old Delhi - Gurgaon road now starting to advertise 95 specifically but nothing in South Delhi area yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironager View Post
The car runs a lot smoother on 97 with better fuel economy but having said that 97 octane is allmost 90 bucks a litre after the latest fuel hike. I use my GT mostly on the weekend therefore as of now im only filling her up with 97and my daily drive is. Skoda laura diesel so im not burning a big hole in my pocket but for people who will use the GT as a daily drive using 97 makes no sense
Old 2nd July 2013, 08:20   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
In the last fill up got around 11.5kmpl, this is bit disappointing considering this was 85% GQ roads at speeds of 90kmph or less.
I've been driving a turbo petrol for well over a year now. I can confirm that a turbo adds no gain to fuel efficiency in a petrol engine. You gain two things in a turbo petrol, lots of torque and power from a much smaller capacity engine. When driven with a steady right foot, you can achieve, possibly exceed the manufacturer claimed fuel efficiency. All of this goes for a toss even in the slightest of stop and go traffic. No highway in our country allows you to hit the free way/express way straight out of your house. Depending on the time you leave/return, you have to deal with traffic and this throws efficiency out of the window. All that light footed highway driving goes for a toss very easily. Please don't try too hard with the fuel efficiency thing in a turbo petrol. Do a dedicated fuel efficiency run to check mileage and don't make it a part of a road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
Is it acceptable to move into triptonic mode and shift down manually to achieve engine braking?
Yes.

I do not own a GT. Having test driven one, the little I know is what I can share. You have the option to switch to Tiptronic or Sport to get engine braking. You have full (almost) control of the gears in Tiptronic. You can go up and come down the gears as you like, just like in a manual. In Sport, the shift points are at normal engine speeds when driven sedately and at 6000rpm when driven with a heavy right foot. Sport will give you more car control and a lot of engine braking but its still the system that is in charge. Sport will in no way aid fuel efficiency too. Tiptronic is better. You have some control of the system and can choose a lower gear if engine braking is required. Else, just shift to a higher gear.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:17   #948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I've been driving a turbo petrol for well over a year now. I can confirm that a turbo adds no gain to fuel efficiency in a petrol engine. You gain two things in a turbo petrol, lots of torque and power from a much smaller capacity engine.
While I do agree with you on the power and torque gains that a turbo brings about, I am not completely in agreement about the the first part of your quoted post.

The primary purpose of the turbo is of course to boost power and torque, but there surely is some fuel efficiency gain also. I don't mean to say that a 1.2L 105 PS TSI would be necessarily more effecient as a 1.2L 70 PS NA engine. But a 1.2L TSI will certainly be more efficient than 1.6L 105 PS NA engine.

Car companies market small turbo charged engines as delivering the power of a large engine, with the fuel economy of a smaller one. What the maker claims or advertises is not always entirely true. For example the turbocharged engine may not be really as powerful as a much larger V6/ V8 engine and it may not be as frugal as a smaller engine as well. But in reality there will some power gains compared to equally sized NA engine and some efficiency gains compared to a larger engine putting out similar power.

I've been driving a turbo petrol for over two years now and I have experienced that when I drive a certain distance keeping the engine in its turbo zone, say in a lower gear, and give throttle input only when the speed drops, you get better overall mileage figures than slotting into higher gears and driving at lower rpms, where the turbo is not spooled up, with constant throttle input.

The key to driving turbo engined cars, is staying in the right gear and understanding the power band characteristics of your car, giving the right amount of throttle, managing the turbo lag etc... It took me a while too.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:45   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
But a 1.2L TSI will certainly be more efficient than 1.6L 105 PS NA engine.
That is left to be seen. I've come from a 1.6l Ford and compared to this naturally aspirated motor, my Fiat isn't any better in terms of efficiency. I think its more sensitive due to the presence of the turbo and that you need to drive within the optimum rpm band which is really difficult to do all the time. Why drop a gear when you have all that torque but then this is not the ideal region of the turbo and that is when it guzzles gas. No such thing in a NA engine. In the city cycle, my turbo petrol car has not managed better efficiency even once over my NA Ford. I feel a NA engine is a lot less sensitive to varying throttle input. I no longer own the Ford but in the time I did, it used to return no less than 9kmpl in the city cycle. My Fiat goes down to under 8kmpl.

The point I was trying to drive was, the gain in efficiency is nowhere in the league of diesels. Petrols are super sensitive to throttle input. In a diesel, the impact to efficiency is nowhere as bad.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:55   #950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That is left to be seen. I've come from a 1.6l Ford and compared to this naturally aspirated motor, my Fiat isn't any better in terms of efficiency. I think its more sensitive due to the presence of the turbo and that you need to drive within the optimum rpm band which is really difficult to do all the time.

The point I was trying to drive was, the gain in efficiency is nowhere in the league of diesels. Petrols are super sensitive to throttle input. In a diesel, the impact to efficiency is nowhere as bad.
My experience comes from owning the 1.8 Toyota Corolla in the past and the 1.8 Laura TSI now.

You are quite right about the city mileage. My Laura has shown no gain in the city. If anything its about 1/2 a km down on an average. But on the highway the efficiency gains are quite evident. At similar speeds the TSI is easily about 15 ~ 20% more efficient. But then again these two engines are completely different in character, just like your ford and the T-jet. Its not a proper apples to apples comparison. I mean if a 160 PS high torque motor gives about the same efficiency as 125 PS NA engine, I'd take that any day.

To all Polo TSI owners, I suggest you wait till you complete about 3~4,000 kms to assess the fuel effeciency. My Laura TSI's mileage really improved after about 5,000 kms. In any case, a city mileage of 10 kmpl with AC is not all. My i10 AT struggles to go past 8 kmpl

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 2nd July 2013 at 11:08.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 07:05   #951
sdh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
I have got to know from reliable sources that each showroom of each dealership in Mumbai has approximately 25 TSI bookings. Number of cars each of them will receive for July is approximately 10 each. Considering that, the wait period seems to be 6 to 8 weeks. Also, the current production at Chakan's Polo assembly line is supposedly all Polo TDIs. Very surprising to me.
I checked with the VW dealer in Whitefield yesterday and he gave me a feeling that they really cannot commit any delivery date. He said "at least" 3 months. Then I asked him when are people who booked cars in the month of May getting their cars, he said not sure, might be delayed. He said no TSI cars are produced after the first batch.

If VW is not producing any TSI at the moment, are they looking for some minimum number of bookings before starting production. What about people who booked in May and early June. Have they received any likely delivery dates.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:17   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
I checked with the VW dealer in Whitefield yesterday and he gave me a feeling that they really cannot commit any delivery date. He said "at least" 3 months. Then I asked him when are people who booked cars in the month of May getting their cars, he said not sure, might be delayed. He said no TSI cars are produced after the first batch.

If VW is not producing any TSI at the moment, are they looking for some minimum number of bookings before starting production. What about people who booked in May and early June. Have they received any likely delivery dates.
They are expecting 12 to 15 cars per dealer for July at least in Bombay. How that is without production is beyond my understanding. Perhaps they have some stock being dished out slowly. Can some BHPians with connects in VW please throw some light on this subject.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:41   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

What you are talking about is the slight delay in the transmission downshifting. It happens in most transmissions, and the DSG is known to hesitate for a second before downshifting. Its just a matter of getting used to. I assume this is your first automatic car?

The other option is to slip the shifter into S just before you want to overtake, that should automatically bring the car down a gear and then move it back to D once you are done.
What you really need is a Sprint Booster!

Best gift a man can make to his car and himself, if available! !

All Drive By Wire acceleration systems come with a lag in time between pedal pressed and cars response. Sprint Booster will cut out the time lag, making your car feel faster and peppier!

If the Polo GT has drive-by-wire, then surely the SB will be available.
Old 7th July 2013, 19:19   #954
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post

All Drive By Wire acceleration systems come with a lag in time between pedal pressed and cars response. Sprint Booster will cut out the time lag, making your car feel faster and peppier!

If the Polo GT has drive-by-wire, then surely the SB will be available.
I know what you are saying, but if a gearbox takes a second or so to downshift even the sprint booster is not going to help much. What the sprint booster helps with is throttle response once you are in gear. BTW not seen you posting for a long time.

Guys I'm getting really tempted to ditch the Accord and pick this up as my daily drive. I want a small car, which I don't have to worry about. But if I do buy it the mods will be as follows, tell me what you think.

1) 205 tyres, possibly on stock or even 16" rims.
2) Paddle shift steering wheel from the Jetta, maybe even a flat bottomed one.
3) Stanley leather interior. I would want red, but don't know how it will go with the beige all over.
4) Petes remap
5) Bilstein shocks and Tarox pads (At a slightly later stage)
6) Replica GTI style projector headlamps with LED DRLs
7) Front arm rest and dead pedal retrofitted
8) Badge delete, everywhere
9) Milltek or Supersprint catback exhaust
10) Blaupunkt Philadelphia (The one made for VW) and transfer the speakers and amps from the Accord.
11) Auto dimming interior mirror, and rain sensor retrofit.

To hell with warranty, do you think it will be a good daily drive? I know it will be much slower than the Accord, but then its not like the other cars at home won't keep me entertained.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 7th July 2013 at 19:20.
Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 19:53   #955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I know what you are saying, but if a gearbox takes a second or so to downshift even the sprint booster is not going to help much. What the sprint booster helps with is throttle response once you are in gear. BTW not seen you posting for a long time.

Guys I'm getting really tempted to ditch the Accord and pick this up as my daily drive. I want a small car, which I don't have to worry about. But if I do buy it the mods will be as follows, tell me what you think.

3) Stanley leather interior. I would want red, but don't know how it will go with the beige all over.
4) Petes remap
10) Blaupunkt Philadelphia (The one made for VW) and transfer the speakers and amps from the Accord.

To hell with warranty, do you think it will be a good daily drive? I know it will be much slower than the Accord, but then its not like the other cars at home won't keep me entertained.
Awesome Akshay! Thats exactly whats in the pipeline for my car. Should happen in a weeks time?
Old 7th July 2013, 19:59   #956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Awesome Akshay! Thats exactly whats in the pipeline for my car. Should happen in a weeks time?
Are you really doing everything I mentioned?

Please start a thread, and document it all. I'll be watching it closely.
Old 7th July 2013, 20:11   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Are you really doing everything I mentioned?

Please start a thread, and document it all. I'll be watching it closely.
Well almost, except for the replica headlamps( I found them a bit too tacky and aftermarket) and the exhaust(which I may get eventually). I already have an ownership thread, will update it soon.
Cruise control, auto headlights maybe as well

Last edited by robimahanta : 7th July 2013 at 20:12.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 21:17   #958
BHPian

Quote:
But if I do buy it the mods will be as follows, tell me what you think.

If you are going to get the 16" rims with low profile tyres than I think you won't really feel need of Bilsteins. The stock shocks in the VWs are really made of higher grade. I am not sure about the Polo but some of the VW cars have suspension from Bilstein and some other reputed brands. Similarly some VW cars have alloys made by brands like Borbet.

Quote:
I am curious to know how much possible is to make those Paddle shifters function properly?

Quote:
Here you have no bar, you can go as far as you want

Quote:
4) Petes remap
Do they have remap for the 1.2 TSI? AFAIK not yet.

Quote:
It depends on your personal liking disliking.

Quote:
If you manage to install a dead-pedal than please do post the details of the process how you got it fitted. I am sure there would be many who are interested to install one in their cars.

Quote:
De-badged Polo really looks cool, especailly without that long 'Volkswagen' titling at the hatch door.

Quote:
Exhaust note of the TSI is really interesting, and a good exhaust system will definitely make it sound more sporty.

Quote:
This depends on your choice.

Quote:
Accord maybe faster than Polo GT but you can't drive the Accord to it's full blast everywhere like how you can drive a car like Polo due to it's small size and confidence inspiring manners. IMO you can extract much from a car like Polo compared to a big sized car like a Accord.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 7th July 2013 at 21:22.
Old 7th July 2013, 23:05   #959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
If you are going to get the 16" rims with low profile tyres than I think you won't really feel need of Bilsteins. The stock shocks in the VWs are really made of higher grade. I am not sure about the Polo but some of the VW cars have suspension from Bilstein and some other reputed brands. Similarly some VW cars have alloys made by brands like Borbet.

Most VAG cars have Bilsteins but they are the most basic ones. Mostly B4 or similar. Upgrading to sportier Bilstein dampers makes a lot of difference.
Polo alloys are made by Borbet as well. Though VW,India charge exhorbitant rates for the stock alloys. Its over 15K plus taxes for the 15 inch stock alloys.

I am curious to know how much possible is to make those Paddle shifters function properly?

Yes, its possible. There are actually two options, either the R-Line steering or the GTI steering.

Polo GT Tsi with GTi wheel working perfectly including the steering controls (the right sided controls on the wheel dont work and you need to change the instrument cluster to make it work)
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-photo2.jpg

The R-Line wheel option
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-photo3.jpg

Do they have remap for the 1.2 TSI? AFAIK not yet.

Yes, Petes's(Custom Code,UK) has already remapped a couple of Polo TSi's. Different maps are available from from conservative ones to aggressive ones with DSG tuning.

Check out this months Autocar. But the tests are somewhat flawed due to some technicalities.

De-badged Polo really looks cool, especailly without that long 'Volkswagen' titling at the hatch door.

The GT does not have that long "VW" logo on the hatch door.

Exhaust note of the TSI is really interesting, and a good exhaust system will definitely make it sound more sporty.

Again lots of options.

Accord maybe faster than Polo GT but you can't drive the Accord to it's full blast everywhere like how you can drive a car like Polo due to it's small size and confidence inspiring manners. IMO you can extract much from a car like Polo compared to a big sized car like a Accord.

Agree

As you can its quite mod friendly like the other VAG cars. The only hindrance being the reliability questions of the DSG box and the poor after sales service.
robimahanta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 19:35   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Well almost, except for the replica headlamps( I found them a bit too tacky and aftermarket) and the exhaust(which I may get eventually). I already have an ownership thread, will update it soon.
Cruise control, auto headlights maybe as well
This is absolutely brilliant. Please do keep our thread updated. I am looking forward to it as well as some advice a little later down the line.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks