Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2013, 15:22   #1021
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post

I started out in D, making progress in a calm and relaxed manner. The DSG quietly shifted up to 5th and 6th in no time, keeping the revs below the 1500 RPM mark. It is impossible to tell when the box shifts up, its that smooth. Turned on to a relatively empty stretch of road and knocked the shifter into manual mode. Went down a couple of gears, where the RPMs shot up to 3000 and the TSI unleashed its inner Milkha Singh and just started sprinting for the horizon. That enjoyable push-back-into-the-seat feeling was fantastic. I loved the nice growl of the engine as well. The tactile feel of the gear lever is great and I thoroughly enjoyed shifting in manual mode.

Empty stretch done, I knocked the lever back into D and the car became calm as a monk again.

Then I shifted down into S mode. Now, the gearbox takes the engine by the scruff of the neck. RPMs stay above 2000 and the car just wants to go. This is the total TSI-cho (Psycho) mode and the grin factor is immense.

Now this is interesting.

I took a TD and BU Bhandari on Saturday evening. The route we took was Showroom - University circle - Baner road - Veritas office (Symantec) - Baner Pashan link road - Pashan circle - showroom. I started the car and shifted to R and when I lifted off the brake, it gently moved back - very good - no need to half clutch to avoid stalling and you can actually concentrate on the traffic. Then I shifted to D and pressed accelerator normally and to my suprise, nothing much happened so I pressed a little more and still nothing so I pressed hard and after a painful delay of a few seconds it got going but did not push me back in my seat or something and the engine sounded strained. This went on till university circle. After turning on to Baner road, I slotted into the manual mode, which felt better. Still the initial lag (from stand-still) was annoying. May be it's plain turbo lag and nothing to do with the DSG. On the Baner Pashan link road, I got a chance to rev it a bit and though the progress was decent, it wasn't earth shattering or something! On the the Sus road around Pashan circle, we merged into thick traffic but based on the lackluster experience of "D" mode, I left it in manual mode and shifted myself - still it was a pleasure - of not having to press clutch and no need to worry about stalling etc. The D allows you to hold onto a gear as long as revs are within limits. This is beautiful.

So my opinion after the TD is - it's a good AT car, may be the best AT car in the segment. The way DSG shifts without touching the revs is awesome, no jerks, no loss of momentum at all. The manual mode is the best of the best - no need to press clutch, you shift when you want and it shifts without any loss of revs and it's instant .

However, looks like there is real bad turbo lag. Even the DSG could not mask it. And even past the 2000 rpm mark, though it pulled decently, the engine note was strained. So something is not right, not sure what it is...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 6th August 2013 at 15:24.
Old 6th August 2013, 17:06   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
However, looks like there is real bad turbo lag. Even the DSG could not mask it. And even past the 2000 rpm mark, though it pulled decently, the engine note was strained. So something is not right, not sure what it is...
It seems to be a problem with that particular test vehicle. I experienced the same when I took a test drive, however, a friends GT TSI performed beautifully as opposed to the test one.

Someone must've mothered the life out of it for sure!!!
Old 6th August 2013, 19:44   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Now this is interesting.

I took a TD and BU Bhandari on Saturday evening. The route we took was Showroom - University circle - Baner road - Veritas office (Symantec) - Baner Pashan link road - Pashan circle - showroom. I started the car and shifted to R and when I lifted off the brake, it gently moved back - very good - no need to half clutch to avoid stalling and you can actually concentrate on the traffic. Then I shifted to D and pressed accelerator normally and to my suprise, nothing much happened so I pressed a little more and still nothing so I pressed hard and after a painful delay of a few seconds it got going but did not push me back in my seat or something and the engine sounded strained. This went on till university circle.
Hmm... that is a bit odd. I did not find the lag so annoying. If anything, I found the step up in performance quite exciting.
I did not give it too much stick in D, but did not think it was very sluggish.
When I found that empty stretch, I went to manual mode and was blown away by it. Then I went into S mode, which kept things aggressive.
I definitely found its performance exciting. It was the same car, right? The red one with a huge GT (or was it TSI) sticker on the hood?

Maybe it could the difference in perspectives. I believe your drive is the Laura TSI, which eats everything for breakfast. I'm coming from a Palio 1.6 and found the GT TSI a step up.

Anyways, I plan to take another TD a few days later and will watch for the things you pointed out.
Old 6th August 2013, 21:43   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
It seems to be a problem with that particular test vehicle. I experienced the same when I took a test drive, however, a friends GT TSI performed beautifully as opposed to the test one.

Someone must've mothered the life out of it for sure!!!

Well, that's bad. Is there any other TD car (e.g. with Widyut motors) that we can try?

Quote:
It was the same car, right? The red one with a huge GT (or was it TSI) sticker on the hood?

Maybe it could the difference in perspectives. I believe your drive is the Laura TSI, which eats everything for breakfast. I'm coming from a Palio 1.6 and found the GT TSI a step up.

Anyways, I plan to take another TD a few days later and will watch for the things you pointed out.
That's what I am thinking - it's the same red car with that ugly GT sticker on the bonnet. Yes, the Laura TSi is terrific, but Palio 1.6 is a F-A-S-T car too, I drove the Palio Adventure a few years ago and was very impressed. This particular Polo was not as much fun (may be expectations were not so high year ago...)
Of course, the DSG is amazing, it's engine/turbo that seems to be a let down.

Let's go together for a TD if possible and may be to Vidyut?
Old 7th August 2013, 03:40   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's what I am thinking - it's the same red car with that ugly GT sticker on the bonnet. Yes, the Laura TSi is terrific, but Palio 1.6 is a F-A-S-T car too, I drove the Palio Adventure a few years ago and was very impressed. This particular Polo was not as much fun (may be expectations were not so high year ago...)
Of course, the DSG is amazing, it's engine/turbo that seems to be a let down.
I agree that in the Polo just when starting out from a stop there seems to be a bit of a hesitation, something like the hill hold kicking in even in the plains. But when it gets going its brilliant.
Anand, come down to Bangalore and TD my Polo Tsi, your entire perception will change completely.
Old 7th August 2013, 09:53   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Let's go together for a TD if possible and may be to Vidyut?
Lets do that sometime. Will PM you my number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
I agree that in the Polo just when starting out from a stop there seems to be a bit of a hesitation, something like the hill hold kicking in even in the plains. But when it gets going its brilliant.
Anand, come down to Bangalore and TD my Polo Tsi, your entire perception will change completely.
Yeah, when the turbo hooks on, it really shifts. That bit is seriously fun.
P.S.: I want to TD your car too.
Old 7th August 2013, 11:49   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Now this is interesting.

So my opinion after the TD is - it's a good AT car, may be the best AT car in the segment. The way DSG shifts without touching the revs is awesome, no jerks, no loss of momentum at all. The manual mode is the best of the best - no need to press clutch, you shift when you want and it shifts without any loss of revs and it's instant .

You should have tried the 'S' mode, the gearbox will keep the car in turbo zone as much as possible.

Incase any one is interested about turbo lag :

And for those who want to know a bit more on DSG :

Both are from youtube channel : EngineeringExplained
http://www.youtube.com/user/Engineer...?feature=watch
Contains a treasure trove of car - tech explanations. He may not have fancy graphics, but the guy can explain stuff beautifully!

Last edited by allajunaki : 7th August 2013 at 11:52.
allajunaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 12:53   #1028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Yes, next time I am in Bangalore, we must meet .
But this TD vehicle here in Pune was lethargic, I tell you.

Quote:
Lets do that sometime. Will PM you my number.

Yeah, when the turbo hooks on, it really shifts. That bit is seriously fun.
P.S.: I want to TD your car too.
Thanks Amit, will send you my number as well. Let's meet and do a TD together. On this particular TD car, seriously I did not find any kick - may be a mild relief when turbo spooled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
You should have tried the 'S' mode, the gearbox will keep the car in turbo zone as much as possible.
Thanks for the links.
I tried the S mode. it just held onto the revs which is not the point here. It holds the revs in manual mode too so from that perspective, both are same. It's the turbo lag which was severe and almost a deal breaker. The turbo lag on my 1.8 TSi is minimal.
Old 7th August 2013, 13:16   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
I tried the S mode. it just held onto the revs which is not the point here. It holds the revs in manual mode too so from that perspective, both are same. It's the turbo lag which was severe and almost a deal breaker. The turbo lag on my 1.8 TSi is minimal.
I'm a bit surprised, since I found the throttle response to be quite good. But then again I have never driven the 1.8TSi (or any turbo'ed Petrol). In any case, its far better than any turbo'ed Diesel As others have pointed, there may be issues with the turbo on the specific car.
Old 7th August 2013, 14:13   #1030
BHPian

Ive driven a few test drive cars, and the last one was in a sad state of affairs. The first one i drove was insane, peepy, and DSG worked like a charm. It accelerated without hesitation and had no quirks. The one i drove recently before booking was in a pathetic state. There was hesitation in the engine, the DSG was a bit reluctant, not too much but u cud feel it, and there was vibrations in the pedals from the engine.. Its just a case of bad maintenance and nothing else. This car has 8000+kms on it.

Drove another friends GT, one of the first ones in Delhi, and its got 12k kms on it, and works like a charm. Also he is on a mix of speed and speed 97, so its buttery smooth.
Bottom line is the quality of timely maintenance, which i'm sure the test drive car didnt have. Also the SA's must be driving the shit out of them.

We did the XDS VCDS mod on his car and WOW!! Its a different monster in the corners now. Also we adjusted the steering weight using VCDS and it really improved the feel of the car, no longer a videogame light steering. Cant wait till next week to get my car.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 19:49   #1031
BHPian

1.DSG : When the DQ200 is mated to skoda superb, it is prone to failure in some extreme cases but not always, as the peak engine torque of superb is the rated torque of gearbox.

2. TSI : The calibration of TSI engines is quite a secret always. No OEM is ready to share them. 105 PS as promised may or may not be available at the crankshaft, but there is always some thinking gone into the calibration for India and my opinion is, it falls somewhere around 100 bhp which is quite an enthusiastic and fuel efficient sweet spot for the engine and the mated DSG.

- An insider working in Germany on the system development (GDI engines) for EA211 and EA888 engines. Btw EA211 is the successor for the current engine used in Indian polo.
Old 8th August 2013, 20:04   #1032
BHPian

Guys, need your inputs on choosing between continental and yokos for my tyre upgrade. Planning to upsize to 205/55 R15. Pirelli is not available these days for this profile. My need is a tyre with better road grip and less noise. Spoke to lals tyres in Chennai , one of the best outlets in Chennai and he recommends continental cpc2.
I was really decided on Pirelli but in a dilemma right now.
thiagust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 23:42   #1033
BHPian

You get yokohama s drives in that size as well.
Old 11th August 2013, 08:54   #1034
BHPian

Had my white GT TSI delivered earlier this month.Two noticeable changes since I started driving this car-for one I seem to close gaps faster and thus reach out for the brakes in a hurry and for another, depression sets in when getting out of the car . More in the ownership thread here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html
Pilot77in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2013, 13:06   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Now this is interesting.
........ So something is not right, not sure what it is...
i had the exact same experience yesterday at the bangalore showroom (palace road). lots of lag - it felt like the revs took a while to climb to get to the spool rpm (1500?) and its the first automatic ive driven so i felt a little odd having my left foot do nothing and both hand on the wheel all the time. so i kept it in "manual" most of the way. still, for 9.78 lakhs on road, it felt a tiny bit underwhelming.
jayeshrc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks