Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 20:07   #1141
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

So my car is officially going to be here by the end of this month!
Three long months its been.
Looking forward to it
Old 18th September 2013, 20:09   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
So my car is officially going to be here by the end of this month!
Three long months its been.
Looking forward to it
Congratulations !! Did your car get billed to the dealer ?
Old 19th September 2013, 10:12   #1143
sdh
BHPian

Found an interesting site to decode the VW PR Codes (http://igorweb.org/equidec/default.aspx).
Below is the list of codes from my car and few surprises I see are:
9P0 = Without seat belt reminder -> Why would they exclude this??
D7F = 4-cyl. gasoline engine 1.6 L/77 kW plus with multi-point injection base engine is T2U -> 1.6L??
1NL = Covers for alloy wheels -> What covers??

Quote:
D7F = 4-cyl. gasoline engine 1.6 L/77 kW plus with multi-point injection base engine is T2U
E0A = No special edition
1D0 = Without trailer hitch
5SD = Left exterior mirror, convex (India)
5RH = Right exterior mirror: convex
1KN = Drum brakes, rear
6FF = Body-colored exterior mirror housings and various add-on parts
1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
1NL = Covers for alloy wheels
H52 = Tires 185/60 R15 84T (black)
4UE = Air bag for driver and front seat passenger
4R3 = Power windows with comfort operation
B79 = Type approval India
4A0 = Without seat heater
8ZG = Antenna for AM/FM reception
J0A = Battery 175 A (36 Ah)
7AA = Electronic vehicle immobilization device
8GU = Alternator 140 A
7Q0 = Without navigation device
I6F = MIB-G Standard 2 DIN (Asia) Export
8X0 = Without headlight washer system
4I2 = Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside without safe lock
B79 = Type approval India
EL2 = With online services (NAR)
9P0 = Without seat belt reminder
Q1L = Front seats
7X1 = Park distance control
9W0 = W/o car phone preparation/installation
8WB = Front fog lights
QI4 = Service indicator 15000 km or 1 year ( fix )
7ML = Emission standard,EU4 IND Bharat Stage 4
L54 = Suspension range 54 installation control only, no requirement forecast
7P0 = Without lumbar support in seat backrests
F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
Old 19th September 2013, 10:21   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Rear disc conversion is an easy retrofit for Polo/Vento. The stock Octavia petrol (1st Gen) rear brake system is a direct swap. Pete's have done it on a Vento (its there on there website). Just get the parts and do the retrofit in case you feel the need. Personally I feel upgrading the front braking to a Tarox 4 piston setup will be a better option albeit expensive.
How expensive would it have been for VW to atleast provide the rear disc for the Polo GT TSI & TDI atleast considering the extra power in hand. When Hyundai can provide it then why not VW?
Old 19th September 2013, 12:28   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurricane View Post
How expensive would it have been for VW to atleast provide the rear disc for the Polo GT TSI & TDI atleast considering the extra power in hand. When Hyundai can provide it then why not VW?
Agreed. Let be honest tho, barring the 0.5% of us, 99.5% of people wont even miss the brakes, but they would be crying about the 25-30k price increase that VW would charge for the brakes as no other production model in India uses the same setup.

On the other hand for us enthusiasts, the conversion is a pretty simple swap. Part numbers posted already.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:31   #1146
BHPian

I traded in my Polo 1.2 TDI for the 1.2 GT TSI DSG. I've had the car for close to 2 weeks now and here are some observations that I'd like to share in the first 500 odd kilometers:
  1. I am adapting well to the change in braking. I need to get used to the difference when I drive my Vento TDI and the Polo TSI.
  2. Steering, its weighting etc. I've never had a problem with this on the stock tires. Car feels confident as did my older Polo and my Vento
  3. ESP: On my way back home after taking delivery of the car, I had just come off the Mumbai sea link and was driving in the right most lane. On a blind curve, I suddenly see a person waving frantically and a car parked slightly behind the person. The car probably had a flat. I steered lightly to the left with the brake pedal depressed a little hard. The sensor probably felt that traction was being lost and hence the ESP kicked in a guided the car from the left very smoothly.
  4. I somehow feel more confident driving in Sport mode in the traffic. The Drive mode is something I feel will work better on the highway to simply cruise.
  5. This small engine really packs a punch. There is no real perceptible turbo lag and the turbo spools quicker than my TDI.
Cheers!
Old 19th September 2013, 12:46   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
I traded in my Polo 1.2 TDI for the 1.2 GT TSI DSG. I've had the car for close to 2 weeks now and here are some observations that I'd like to share in the first 500 odd kilometers:
  1. I am adapting well to the change in braking. I need to get used to the difference when I drive my Vento TDI and the Polo TSI.
  2. Steering, its weighting etc. I've never had a problem with this on the stock tires. Car feels confident as did my older Polo and my Vento
  3. ESP: On my way back home after taking delivery of the car, I had just come off the Mumbai sea link and was driving in the right most lane. On a blind curve, I suddenly see a person waving frantically and a car parked slightly behind the person. The car probably had a flat. I steered lightly to the left with the brake pedal depressed a little hard. The sensor probably felt that traction was being lost and hence the ESP kicked in a guided the car from the left very smoothly.
  4. I somehow feel more confident driving in Sport mode in the traffic. The Drive mode is something I feel will work better on the highway to simply cruise.
  5. This small engine really packs a punch. There is no real perceptible turbo lag and the turbo spools quicker than my TDI.
Cheers!
Like i said, you gotta use the brakes as if it was a manual. Drive it like u drive an oldschool AT car and ur going to hate the brakes. Drive it as if it were a manual while anticipating the downshifts of the DSG which aids braking, your going to love it. However I find that the auto downshift to 2 in either D or S mode while braking adds too much engine braking to the car, making u over brake if ur slowing down normally.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:47   #1148
sdh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Agreed. Let be honest tho, barring the 0.5% of us, 99.5% of people wont even miss the brakes, but they would be crying about the 25-30k price increase that VW would charge for the brakes as no other production model in India uses the same setup.

On the other hand for us enthusiasts, the conversion is a pretty simple swap. Part numbers posted already.
Will changing to rear disc have any impact on ABS. Are the parts available in India or have to be sourced from outside and what would be the approx cost?
Old 19th September 2013, 12:54   #1149
BHPian

Nope. ABS Controller remains the same for Rear Disc and Rear Drum based Polo's. Need new lines and the entire setup as shown in the image on the previous page. Am not too sure about the hubs, but I think the originals should work.

Contact Peter @ Pete's, as he did a conversion on a Vento/Rapid by using the old Octavia RS rear brakes.
Old 19th September 2013, 16:02   #1150
BHPian

Hi, i need some urgent advice from Polo GT TSi owners! I am ready to book one in 3-4 days but then the Polo GT TDI has been launched recently to create a dilemma for me! I've only driven manuals before, and i know for sure that DSG/DCT transmissions are way better than automatic slushboxes and CVTs.
In case i go for GT TSI and get the paddle shifter steering wheel installed, i want to know how much fun it is compared to a manual. Some people say that the tiptronic mode is a fake shifter and paddle shift is just a marketing gimmick! I've heard it doesn't shift fast enough. Does it really shift like a true manual or is it still controlled by the computer in manual mode and gear is automatically selected when u over rev the engine irrespective of clicking the paddle shifts. Also i've heard that sometimes the DSG auto gets confused when u brake hard before a tight corner and selects the wrong gear sometimes.
If i really can't rely on the DSG 7 speed auto with paddle shifts or tiptronic mode, that would be a disappointment, because i think the main reason to own a DSG over a CVT transmission is that it lets u choose ur gears manually. I know in full auto mode it must be great since the upshifts/downshifts are lightening fast compared to a manual but it can only be good in traffic. once i get out of the busy roads, i want to use the manual mode.
Because of above reasons i am considering the GT TDI which has a bigger engine(1.6ltr) and a gem no doubt as it is already doing duty on the Vento and Rapid. It also has 250NM of max torque compared to just 175NM for the GT TSI. i am sure it has better midrange than GT TSI and more fun on the highways
Old 19th September 2013, 17:29   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmana View Post
Hi, i need some urgent advice from Polo GT TSi owners! I am ready to book one in 3-4 days but then the Polo GT TDI has been launched recently to create a dilemma for me! I've only driven manuals before, and i know for sure that DSG/DCT transmissions are way better than automatic slushboxes and CVTs.
In case i go for GT TSI and get the paddle shifter steering wheel installed, i want to know how much fun it is compared to a manual. Some people say that the tiptronic mode is a fake shifter and paddle shift is just a marketing gimmick! I've heard it doesn't shift fast enough. Does it really shift like a true manual or is it still controlled by the computer in manual mode and gear is automatically selected when u over rev the engine irrespective of clicking the paddle shifts. Also i've heard that sometimes the DSG auto gets confused when u brake hard before a tight corner and selects the wrong gear sometimes.
If i really can't rely on the DSG 7 speed auto with paddle shifts or tiptronic mode, that would be a disappointment, because i think the main reason to own a DSG over a CVT transmission is that it lets u choose ur gears manually. I know in full auto mode it must be great since the upshifts/downshifts are lightening fast compared to a manual but it can only be good in traffic. once i get out of the busy roads, i want to use the manual mode.
Because of above reasons i am considering the GT TDI which has a bigger engine(1.6ltr) and a gem no doubt as it is already doing duty on the Vento and Rapid. It also has 250NM of max torque compared to just 175NM for the GT TSI. i am sure it has better midrange than GT TSI and more fun on the highways
All I can say is take a test drive brother. Drive both cars back to back and that will help you make up your mind better than any forum advice.
Old 19th September 2013, 18:30   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
Congratulations !! Did your car get billed to the dealer ?
Yes, it has
When is your car expected?
Old 19th September 2013, 18:38   #1153
BHPian

dharmana - I will not comment on the GTD but I have the same engine in my Vento. Let me say this. There are different kinds of thrills in both of them. The diesel will give you that raw pulling power and make you feel like you get a kick in the pants. Quick up-shifts as max torque is reached at pretty low RPMs.The TSI however is the refined one. Can drive as smooth as silk with a light foot of then put her in Sport and its a beast as well.
Old 19th September 2013, 20:05   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Yes, it has
When is your car expected?
Well no convincing answer is coming from the Sales consultant though he is hopeful that he will be able to deliver by month end.
Sr. Sales consultant is too busy to answer my calls or call me back !
Old 21st September 2013, 22:02   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
Well no convincing answer is coming from the Sales consultant though he is hopeful that he will be able to deliver by month end. Sr. Sales consultant is too busy to answer my calls or call me back !
That's a bummer. Just hang in there. No car offers you what this does at this price.
I just got a call from my sales guy saying that my car has been dispatched... Will be getting tiny the end of the week. It's been almost exactly 12 weeks. This is the first time I've waited so long for a car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks