Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 17:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Good review mobike!

Do you have any range/avg mileage figures that you got through the MID? With an ARAI rating of 17.2kmpl, I guess it should be pretty fuel efficient when driven sedately.

And, I hope VW doesn't over price it though. But with a TSI motor, DSG box and other expensive gadgetry, I don't think they're looking for too much volumes either.
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 18:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the excellent review – short and precise with all details covered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
The Polo was always a good looking hatchback, its clean and proportionate lines winning it many fans. However, I wish VW gave the GT TSI variant a sporty body kit. Look at the wonderful job that Toyota managed with the Liva TRD (Link). This is a major downside, as it's hard to tell the GT TSI from the regular Polo, especially for the layman.
I am actually quite happy with the fact that they retained the clean looks of the Polo, rather than adding up a sporty body kit to give a boy-racer look. For me, the prominent GT badge on the grille is good enough to differentiate from the regular one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
An unwarranted GT TSI sticker on the C-Pillar. Looks out of place:
This should be there in the checklist – to remove before driving out of the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
In what is a hugely welcome move, the VW Polo GT TSI is kitted with an enhanced safety package, including ESP (electronic stability program) & Hill-Hold function (more info). In an emergency driving situation, ESP can be the difference between life & death.
This should be the most compelling reason for one to go for the Polo GT. A brilliant first-in-the-segment move from VW!

Here is a short video of Polo’s behavior with ESP On/Off.

Negatives: They should have included an arm rest, and also provided more exterior colour options.

Couple of questions:
1) Are the rear seats split/foldable?
2) Does the Polo GT have three 3-point seatbelts for the rear?

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th April 2013 at 18:18. Reason: Additional comments
vb-saan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 18:09   #18
CPJ
BHPian

Excellent Review as always.
I'm little disappointed with the fact that there is no manual transmission to play around with this gem of an engine. However people looking for a sub 10 lakhs auto box, the Polo 1.2 TSI seems like a very good option.
Old 25th April 2013, 18:11   #19

my friend just booked it,I on the other hand was expecting it be a bit more "hotter" than this namely, a manual transmission and as jeremy clarkson says more powarrrrrr . waiting for the punto abarth now.
Old 25th April 2013, 18:20   #20
BHPian

EXcellent review. Thanks for sharing. Most questions are answered with this review and speculation is only left to pricing now. Lets see what would it be like.
Old 25th April 2013, 18:27   #21
BHPian

Great review! But I guess this will be priced way out of range of an enthusiast. I bet it will be somewhere near 8.5-9.0 due to the fancy gearbox.

Also, if VW decided to give this car a sporting engine, why not give it some cosmetic mods to differentiate it from the rest of the gang? It's the least we can expect! Just putting some tiny badges on the front grill, rear hatch & some labels on the quarter panel doesn't count.

Lets hope the gearbox doesn't have too many troubles. Looking forward to ownership reviews on Team-Bhp!
Old 25th April 2013, 18:27   #22
BHPian

This is one review I have been waiting for!
Awesome review! DSG tech might sound good but, IMO The real enthusiasts' car should have a MANUAL box! A 6 speed MT will be perfect on this German beauty!
This car should do well compared to the Polo 1.6 but, the thing is that VW will surely price it as high as the C segment sedans.
If there's a minimal difference between POLO GT TSI and the Vento Petrol, people will surely go in for the bigger Vento.
Old 25th April 2013, 18:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

This should be there in the checklist – to remove before driving out of the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Negatives: They should have included an arm rest, and also provided more exterior colour options.
Since the Polo shares components with the Vento, will the arm rest from the Vento a direct fit on the Polo ?

Found this video review of the Polo GT by oncars.in. Enjoy !

Last edited by drpudhi : 25th April 2013 at 18:50.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 18:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice and very precise review.

1) What is quality of fuel required ? Considering that still we are not having 95 RON fuel, will it do good on 91 RON ? Was there any clarification and/or specification provided by VW ?

2) Price will make this car elude the main target market for this car. Diesel will still be the preference for many Polo buyers.

3) Maintenance and parts is another area where I feel that Polo owners will feel the pinch. Also, as far as petrol cars go, people are not used to idling ( they dont do it even with diesels ) which might not be good in the long run.

4) Rear discs must be provided for a car which is powerful by Indian standards.

5) Extended warranty or any thing is an absolute must for this car due to the gearbox. A simple manual six speed would be much better and reliable option than the not-so-reliable dual clutch gearbox.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 18:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Superb review---rated 5 Stars! I guess the search for a hot hatch is now over for bhpians like Motoringlover, etc.,

But I wish VW had given a manual option too. I'm not too sure how affordable the DSG one will be.

And given the wide spread concerns over its reliability, I think VW ought to give a 10-year warranty on the gear box. I think Ford has done something like this on their new Fiesta's automatic version.

Last edited by vnabhi : 25th April 2013 at 18:54.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 18:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Superb crisp review - now if only I had around 8-9 lakhs to spare !!

Some of the comments I see are complaining about price being too close to sedan territory, no diesel etc - I believe those are not the target markets that VW has in mind for Polo GT. IMO This car is for petrolheads and petrolheads only - one who does not want a sedan just for the sake for having a trunk, and most certainly ain't after diesel mileage.
A stick shift would have been a welcome variant though.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 19:01   #27
BHPian

Nice to see that VW let go of the volkswagen badge at the rear. IMO it looked huge on a small car. The new GT badging is simple and looks neat too. But downer for an enthusiast is no manual tranny and rear disc brakes to handle the 100 odd horses
Old 25th April 2013, 19:06   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Super review Avi. The interior pics looked very familiar- the GT TSI shares the gear lever and MID (including gear indicator) with my Vento . The new upholstery gives it an evil look, though!

DSG and TSI engine on a hatchback- finally VW does something that offers an enthusiast a real option! Hopefully the DSG woes are behind them.

Safe to say, this car won't set the charts on fire but rounds off the portfolio nicely for VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Sounds like a hoot, any indicative price , guessin it will be pushing over 8 l otr?
That is too low. My Vento AT was 10L OTR Pune at launch (couple of price increases since then). This has the DSG and a turbocharged engine. I would peg it tennish OTR.

Last edited by noopster : 25th April 2013 at 19:10. Reason: Typos!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 19:18   #29
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review Avi. This is one hot hatch for sure.

Obviously they are not after numbers since the car has cutting edge tech, very decent features which equates to higher price tag also.

Guys who own high end cars and want a second car will love this option now.

This is the only way to get back sales of petrol cars. Offer class leading performance and try to appeal to the fun to drive factor rather than the FE. Ever since the govt. regulations for 1.2L engines came into effect the fun to drive factor has vanished and we got slow petrol motors that were detuned in interest of FE. Then the petrol prices shot up and killed this segment completely. With the 1.5L TRD Etios Liva and not the Polo GT, the appeal moves to the performance and fun factor which I think is the way to go.

Now waiting for Maruti to plonk the 1.4L K14 engine from Ertiga into Swift and Ford to plonk the Fiesta 1.6L engine into the Figo. That will be mouth watering propositions.

I seriously think this engine and DSG box should also go into the Vento as well. It will give a small scare to the Honda City and Hyundai Verna.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 19:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Superb move by VW...almost !!!

A turbo on a 1.2 engine is a clever way to get around exise regulations. Have your cake & eat it too !!!

But, not offering a manual is a critical mistake. forcing the customer to pay for an automatic?

Not to mention, one that is dogged with failures and poor reputation.

Imagine how much more affordable it would be with a M/T. (how much is it on the Superb.. lakh&half?)

Last edited by Mpower : 25th April 2013 at 21:20.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed