Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 08:55   #61
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Firstly, a manual would be 1L+ lower. (Laura petrol AT is 1L more expensive than the 6speed MT.)

Add 50K for the engine. 1L for the tarnsmission, the price will be 7.5L which is realistic. But would you not be more interested in a Polo with manual transmission at 6.5L.
Also remember that the Laura manual also gets a de-tuned engine.

What basis are you basing those numbers on?
Old 26th April 2013, 08:58   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder918 View Post
I would have loved to see something distinct on this variant that would have set apart a TSI from at least from some ten yards; I suggest different rear lighting like on the Jetta would have been a good choice (excluding its effect on pricing)
This is one main concern in looks most of us have, but VW is basing all their models( new) on the MBQ platform we would hardly see any difference in the exterior styiing too.

Golf is the latest example on this, having the same look on all its variants and variants externally are identified ony by the badge.

Cheers!
Old 26th April 2013, 08:58   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Dude! exactly my feeling as well. Its a very nice car for daily city use. A very conservative remap (130HP/200Nm) with 205/50 R16 tyres (set of OZ Ultraleggeras) and coilovers (Bilstein B14) will make it a really hot hatch indeed. They should have provided the front bumper spoiler and side skirts from the Polo SR on this one though.
Those thoughts exactly went through my mind when I drove the car. It has immense potential for mods both to engine and also on cosmetic front.

Btw, Polo SR kit is available from dealership as an addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Firstly, a manual would be 1L+ lower. (Laura petrol AT is 1L more expensive than the 6speed MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How hard is it to offer M/T and optional A/T ? Give power to the people (of choice)
Being a manual lover myself, I overlooked the fact that an MT transmission is missing ( so much was the fun in tiptronic mode). But, I do agree keeping the high costs into play for the DSG box, same engine should have been available with atleast 2 options :-

6-Speed Manual
7-DSG

But, we dont live in ideal world conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
VW Polo 1.2 TSi does 0-100 in 9.7 sec in S Mode.
These figures are for the Europe/US Polo 1.2 TSI (same engine as we got here now) and since we didnt get any official figures we quoted an approximate 0-100

According to me, achieving a 10 sec to a ton will not be asking for too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
Nice review there! Did you get any info on what color options will be available? As per some sources, it is going to be limited to Red, White and Black.Shadow Blue
Your right. There is only 3 color option as of now. Red, Black & White

Perhaps, they will add more colors later on based on volumes and customer feedback
Old 26th April 2013, 09:24   #64
Senior - BHPian

Doubt 1.2 tsi can top 200 kmph, since that is the exact top speed for the 2012 polo 1.4 tsi. Just a nitpick on stats. It would have been nice if they could launch both 1.2 and 1.4 tsi simultaneously and allowed customers to select their poison.

Regarding the infamous 7-speed DSG from the VW group on this one, maybe and just maybe it would not make such a fuss on a 1.2 tsi engine as it would on a much larger 1.8 tsi engine. The torque and bhp on this one are way lower as compared to the 1.8 tsi version, so it puts lesser pressure on the mechatronics PCB gadgetry etc.

Last edited by lurker : 26th April 2013 at 09:27.
Old 26th April 2013, 09:26   #65
Senior - BHPian

Great review mobike008. Rated a well deserved 5 star and kudos to TBhp team...

I would call this car a 'COOL hatch' rather than a hot one. Although, without a doubt this TSI technology is incredible and I am already tasting it on my Superb TSI, but with a 1.6 TDI under the hood this would really become a HOT one.

My take -
- I don't foresee real life FE figures over 12kmpl. Because the moment you floor the pedal on a TSI the efficiency does go for a toss.
- It is a niche product and will remain so. Sales with remain in 100's for this variant seeing our squinted market.
- I also foresee less troubles for this DQ200 gearbox than on the higher torque 1.8 TSI unit that it has previously been mated to in India.
- Would love to own one with my low mileage but the 9L on road price that I foresee will be a dampener.
- This unit will definitely be seen with a manual gearbox soon and will be shared with its sister companies like Skoda.

Because after all is said and done this TSI technology from VW group is cutting edge. If they just sort out their service woes then these machines with different configurations have the potential to become class leaders in India.

Last edited by dkaile : 26th April 2013 at 09:50.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 09:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

Whilst a lot has been said about VW not distinguising this enough from the rest of the Polos, I personally think they have done a very good thing by doing just that.
The 1.2 GT TSI makes for a very very desirable & under-stated Sleeper Car.

P.S. This is just the kind of vehicle that MAY bring my Love back to the Monocoque world, from the Ladder world.
Old 26th April 2013, 09:43   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
- I don't foresee real life FE figures over 12kmpl.
I would believe the real life FE would be close to the declared value as the current 1.6L Polo does give an average FE of 13 kmpl in city.

Cheers!
Old 26th April 2013, 10:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review.

Very very clean design. Love that center console.

Glad VW didn't bother changing anything for the TSi and kept it looking as neutral as the regular Polo. The only decent upgrade would be lower profile tyres.

The OTR price will be a deterrent for some but otherwise I love what VW has brought to the hatchback game!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 26th April 2013 at 10:09.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:09   #69
BHPian

Have been waiting for the review all day as just as it was released, boss decided to give me more work :(

I for once like the fact that VW has not done too many decals/ body kits on this one. I feel a true scorcher of a car should look just like its more commercial siblings, case in point the BMW M5. IMO, body kits are hit or a miss and depends on the personal taste of the persons.

This car is really enticing me to trade my year old Polo 1.2P, though my ride has been doing just fine. Also, AFAIK the failure of Polo/ Vento is much lower than other cars from the stable (correct me if I am wrong).

A lot of time while going to office in rush hour traffic, the cars which I have found broken down have been Marutis and Hyundais, maybe badly maintained I don't know. While we all agree that you can't beat Japanese and Koreans on reliability, I feel for once that VW petrols have held up good till now. Of course, we need more years to really assess their long-term reliability.

Anyway, back to TSI, I think price will be another factor which will determine the desirability. In today's market, price it too high and it will be difficult to justify it against a Vento TDI or even lower end of C segment cars. It not like the GTX days where no one even in the segment above came close.
vivekz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 10:29   #70
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Looks like finally we have a hot hatch which is closer to the motoring nirvana! I say closer, because in addition to the DSG I would have preferred them to also give a manual gearbox to the enthusiasts. Still, this is nitpicking, this is a good car I feel. Finally automobile manufacturers are listening to the hearts of the people apart from their heads. I just hope they sort out the DSG problems, bad after sales reputation and price the car correctly. I am not expecting the price as 6L, I would be happy if they get it in 7.5-8.5L range.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:34   #71
BHPian

Excellent review there!

No doubt.. this tops the list of "warm" hatches on offer in this country.

Agreed.. that GT TSI sticker on the c pillar just looks so out of place.

Yet, that DQ200 is going to have to find some hard heart and thick skin buyers.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:37   #72
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support: Post deleted. please do not "bump" your own posts. It is considered spamming and against the rules of the forum. We request you to read the posting rules carefully before proceeding.

Last edited by noopster : 26th April 2013 at 10:45.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:43   #73
BHPian

What is the octane rating for this engine? has Vw tuned it for indian fuel quality (91 only in metros)

Is it the ideal 97/95 or 95/91 being a smaller block?
Old 26th April 2013, 10:54   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

• Vento's superb 1.6L turbo-diesel unavailable on Polo. Superior torque, economy and practicality

Hello mobike, your crisp review is just awesome. Please lets try to include a short video next time. Also I wonder if you all have any devices to measure NVH levels in cabin so we can have some other cool to know stats?

Btw my main question to you would be how would you compare the power delivery of the gti to the 1.6tdi in vento, which one is more powerful?

I know lot of things go in for comparison just asking becuase 1.6tdi you mentioned would have been better to have on the polo as well.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:57   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
What is the octane rating for this engine? has Vw tuned it for indian fuel quality (91 only in metros)

Is it the ideal 97/95 or 95/91 being a smaller block?
I am guessing on the 95/91 but seeing that the engine hasn't been detuned (same 105 BHP), i guess Mobike can tell us since he might have stopped atleast once for a fuel stop. . Whose idea was it to stick the gt tsi sticker on the c pillar. Looks really out of place!

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 26th April 2013 at 10:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks