Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 11:23   #76
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

One more quality review from TBHP, right to the point and unbiased. Thanks @mobike008 for this wonderful effort.

Personally I would have preferred a traditional manual transmission, that would make this car even more fun to drive. Now what remains to be seen is TSI Skoda Fabia, would be eager to get a review of that.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 11:28   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems a decent propositon for somebody looking a second car which is quite quick and DSG auto to boot. VW could have upped the ante a bit more by providing all discs and stiffer suspension but that would push up the cost too. Either ways the TSI will not be raking in high numbers, so why not provide the best and keep the enthusiast happy.

Hope the gearbox holds up as the premium hatch segment is far more punishing that the D+ segment when it comes to breakdowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sorry, but have to disagree, big time. Polo's steering is decent, but nowhere close to being described as the 'most accurate in different segments'.

Begs the question - which all cars are you comparing here?

For cars coming in the same segment as Polo/Vento platform - please drive a Punto/ Linea to understand what steering feel and feedback is all about. If you only want to consider EPS units - you can also head to the Ford showroom to drive the new Fiesta, to see whats possible with EPS units.
If its in comparison with only EPS cars then it would be definitely better than the ones found in Hyundai. For that matter even the Etios twins have a decent EPS. Have not driven the new Fiesta for an extended distance to get to know how the EPS feels.

When it comes to steering feedback, VW polo/Vento EPS is no where close to the Old Fiesta/Punto/Linea though the listed are HPS.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:30   #78
BHPian

Mobike, or those who were lucky to experience a Test Drive - Did you have any feeling of lurch when accelerating the car from rest ?

Per the complaints from users of DSG box (India, and other countries) it is more pronounced when it the engine is warm, or done with some mileage. This would be rather clear from any ownership reports later, but just curious to know if anyone had the initial experience..
Old 26th April 2013, 11:34   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
0-100 should be in the 10 second range, while top speed is rated at ~190 kph.
A Remapped Polo should easily keep up with the current gen 2ltr diesels, considering the PTW ratio.

ESP is a surprise move from VW, hope other manufactures wake up and bring such Power and Safety standards to small cars.

Last edited by brraj : 26th April 2013 at 11:42.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:47   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review! Crisp and matter-of-fact.

Ideal for owner-drivers with an enthusiastic bent of mind :-). Add some fat rubber; body-kit is questionable as most kitted cars I see in BLR have some damage somewhere from the mountainous speedbreakers etc.

Heartily dislike the cheesy sticker on the C pillar though!

However going by the awful reviews on various threads, that gearbox is likely to be dodgy down the line, even with the lower outputs.

Point to note is that cars like the Superb and Laura (typically) are used lesser than a small nimble hatchback like the Polo. For example, a DQ200 Polo will probably be revved harder (enthusiasts, remember!) and/or used in strenuous daily stop-start city traffic as compared to a DQ200 Laura or Superb.

Net net, wear-and-tyre will be signficantly higher and in my opinion, this COULD negate the anticipated gains from the lower output of the Polo.

Just read the horror stories on this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hatronics.html

This car is ideal for a company leased car scheme where the entire risk and insurance is borne by your employer, rather than personally. Imagine the risk of spending 100k after 3 years by when the resale would also have dropped alarmingly.

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th April 2013 at 11:51. Reason: Spelling
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 11:47   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Have been waiting for the review all day as just as it was released, boss decided to give me more work :(

A lot of time while going to office in rush hour traffic, the cars which I have found broken down have been Marutis and Hyundais, maybe badly maintained I don't know. While we all agree that you can't beat Japanese and Koreans on reliability, I feel for once that VW petrols have held up good till now. Of course, we need more years to really assess their long-term reliability..
Have to agree with you there. My Polo TDI is close to celebrating its third birthday, not a single breakdown or mechanical/electrical problem till now. The only time I had an issue so far (touchwood) is a hand-brake jam after leaving the car parked for days in wet weather. I feel the 12 month, 15K service interval helps - there are not as many missed or late service visits compared to other cars - which may be another factor for fewer problems and breakdowns etc.

When I speak to my German colleagues, I get the picture that the Polo is positioned there as an entry-level hardy and reliable car for students and young people that stands a lot of abuse, and lasts a long long time. Students spend anywhere up to 10 years in college, militray, apprenticeship etc. there before they complete their education and get a job. The idea of the polo is to last that whole long period and beyond, till the person spends a few years in a full time job and earns enough to upgrade to the next car - Usually the VW Golf!
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 11:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hope VW gets a 1.6 TDI in the polo then it will be a car to drive with a little peace to the pocket.
Though I am in full support of having a 1.6l diesel in the Polo, there is a lot of work required. To start, just dropping in this engine isn't going to work. The weight up front will be so much that it will lead to under steer with those existing tires. The suspension will have to be completely different to support the additional weight up front. You need to keep the balance of the car right or you end up losing dynamics and this is not something you want on a powerful car. That would just ruin the potential of the car. The brakes will require better modulation due to the front heavy nature of the car. Its not easy. With something as light (I assume) as a 1.2l petrol TSI, it is possible to achieve all of this much easier. Then comes the question of pricing. A 1.6l diesel motor is surely going to take the price in the 10lac and possibly above (Based on what Hyundai charge for the 1.4 crdi i20) region.

I also believe that for someone who can afford a car at 8lac, the cost of petrol is not going to be a bother.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 12:17   #83
BHPian

Diesel prices are going up, Petrol prices are coming down (atleast recently). and Polo 1.2 TSI is launching :-). Too tempting to change the sluggish TDCI and get into the turbo charged petrol. If DSG remains reliable, it will be my next car. You can take the advatage of auto inside city and make use of triptronic out on highways and ghats.

But only thing itching to me is VW after sale, if something goes wrong in the car then it will be painful to deal with them. But the car as such is fairly reliable so far atleast in my Bro's Polo case and its 3 year old. Another thing is the EPS, but its not bad like in Hyundai and even better than Maruti's.

Man that Torque/BHP is hard to believe ala diesel.

Here is the engine spec comparision with T-Jet and Fiesta 1.6 S
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-enginespeccomparision.jpg  

DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 12:35   #84
BHPian

I am stoked to see this thread on Team-BHP!

Personally, the Polo 1.2 GT TSI has everything that I wanted (automatic, power, mileage, center console, etc.) and the only thing I would miss are the rear disc brakes.

Haven't gone through the whole thread in detail yet, but how unreliable is the DSG box on this Polo? Any idea of the price?

Also I am facing a conundrum. What would T-BHP members suggest to a member who already has a Polo 1.6? Is it time I gave it up and booked a 1.2 TSI instead? Thanks!
Old 26th April 2013, 12:38   #85
BHPian

Its here, at last! And enjoyed reading that review. A well deserved 5 stars. What a blast it must be drive the TSI. The figures may not sound huge, but its the availability of power that's going to make all the difference in the real world. Now eagerly waiting for the 29th for the official prices. I am hoping that it will be around 8.5 OTR Pune. That would make it a mouth watering deal.

So tick mark number two on the 2013 hot hatch list. The stage is set for the Abarth Punto.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:39   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
What would T-BHP members suggest to a member who already has a Polo 1.6? Is it time I gave it up and booked a 1.2 TSI instead? Thanks!
Keep driving the 1.6, and await for the 1.4TSI that is speculated to be launched in Vento!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 13:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Here is the engine spec comparision with T-Jet and Fiesta 1.6 S
Fiesta 1.6S

Torque - 146 Nm

Power to Weight: 90
Torque to Weight: 130
Old 26th April 2013, 13:16   #88
BHPian

This choice of engine and gear box is unparalleled in this segment. This is a fist of its kind in this market. The EcoSport 1.5 DCT comes close, but I guess where it will not match will be in Fuel efficiency. The EcoBoost is not mated to the DCT. I see two distinct types of buyers for the TSI and the EcoSport. Segment first! Wish they had this in the Vento too. Nice review.
Old 26th April 2013, 13:52   #89
BHPian

Why why why would vw do this? Even though prices are announced 9L OTR! I thought the whole point of buying a diesel was so that the extra cash spent would make someone consider a petrol car. Add to that the volatile price of petrol makes me think this is a stunt by VW to improve their brand image that has taken a beating after they've priced their cars ridiculously high! Enthusiast or not the price of petrol, long term maintenance bills, VW's A$$ would make everyone think twice about owning this hot hatch. I've seen people having their polo's hitched from highways and middle of the road due to parts failure, the DSG system is complicated by the sound of it, informed people would wait for a long term ownership for the hard facts. But as of now awesome pickup, awesome handling, good instrument and driver aids let me sit back and wait for fiat to respond.

Last edited by D'Artagnan : 26th April 2013 at 13:57.
Old 26th April 2013, 14:16   #90
BHPian

Awesome stuff!! If the OTR in Bangalore is approx 9L, would make a compelling alternative to my planned purchase of City SMT. A lac+ cheaper and more fun too!

Most Viewed