Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 14:55   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

It was just not possible for VW to price this car at less than 9L OTR that was speculated. We should be thanking our stars that we are getting a premium Euro spec vehicle at such low prices seeing all the hardware it packs in. Hope the DQ200 doesn't pose long term reliability issues and I will wait at least 6 months for actual user reports.

How I wish they could pack in the Vento's 1.6 TDI motor with this 7 DSG (or even a 6 one would do) and that would be a cracker of a package with actual buyers, not just the niche ones...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:59   #197
BHPian

Not sure if VW fully understands the segment it want to address here. Especially considering the pricing.

If it is the Sporty petrol head then it should have included rear discs, wider tires, paddle shifters, sportier seats & steering, all black interior etc.

If its targetting the Premium luxury automatic buyer, things like leather seats, navigation, rain sensing wipers, sunroof, parking camera, a much better audio system should have been included.

If its targetting someone like me, they should have gone with Sport+Premium theme (ala the new 328i)!

Right now its a half job neither here nor there.

Last edited by Siva : 29th April 2013 at 15:28. Reason: grammar correction and some text
Siva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 15:04   #198
Senior - BHPian

The price in Bangalore would be near 9.5 with insurance, the Honda City automatic should be a much better deal, considering its a full size bigger and should be happily buzzing along when the DSG unit packs up. VW and Honda share the same arrogant attitude towards their customers, atleast with a Honda, the tow truck number needn't be on speed dial.

Automatic diesels on the Vento would have done for sales what this car can never hope to achieve. VW should launch more relevant mass market products, they don't have the appeal of the big three premium brands and reliability is not exactly in the Japanese league.

Someone said that VW is a premium brand realigning itself out of the mass market, wrong, VW's premium Phaeton is a sales dud - evidence that its a mass market brand which customers don't associate with luxury. Overpriced halo cars end up market duds in India along with damaging the reputation of the brand.
avira_tk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 15:06   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
That's not correct. You may see it is mentioned in page 5.

Cheers,
Yes, I see they have updated it now, both on Page 5 and the feature list in Page 7. The initial version on their website did not have it.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 15:10   #200
Senior - BHPian

IMO, VW were never really aiming to set sales charts on fire with the Polo GT. This Polo is probably just a "result" of VW re-organizing their engine/transmission portfolio for India and coming models which utilize these components are where they're aiming to hit hard.

As a car I like the GT but not quite enough to sign the dotted line. It feels like they're trying to please all potential customers whilst at this price point they're really only going to attract enthusiasts. Perhaps going the whole hog and launching a 1.4 TSI + DSG + Lowered + Paddle Shift Polo at say 9.5 - 10L would have been a better option?

Oh and that sticker job on the C-Pillar is godawful!

Last edited by anekho : 29th April 2013 at 15:11.
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 15:21   #201
BANNED

any estimates how much would have following individually added to the cost...

1. Paddle Shifters
2. Body Kit
Old 29th April 2013, 15:28   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
any estimates how much would have following individually added to the cost...

1. Paddle Shifters
2. Body Kit
Not sure about pedal shifts but VW genuine Polo body kit costs around 70K
One of my friend inquired few months ago, later he bought aftermarket substitute at around 10K.
Old 29th April 2013, 15:43   #203
BHPian

I think pricing is the only thing which they need to think again on. 9.6 lakhs for a hatchback is way too much, also when the polo is available for 6 lakhs onwards. Vw should have named it polo TB ( team bhp ) because I don't see buyers from non enthusiastic segment buying this. Also dsg is something which will always be a worrying factor in the back of mind for most buyers.
Old 29th April 2013, 15:45   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks GTO for adding the pricing to the first post and also the subsequent price comparison sheet.

Pricing of VW Polo GT TSI 1.2L at 7.99 Lakhs ( Ex-Showroom Delhi) is not a surprising figure as we all have been contemplating a price in similar bracket. I personally feel its not too wrongly priced as you'll be shelling out for that delicious high revving engine, superb cutting edge gear-box and also segment first safety features.

If they were looking to sell volumes (which seems unlikely considering the launch price), they should have priced it 1L cheaper OR provided a manual option which would have flown off the shelf much faster.

Considering the niche proposition of the car, they should have atleast offered a unique pricing strategy like "one-price" all over the country factoring in different tax slabs for each state so it becomes mariginally easier on pockets of prospective buyers.

It would be interesting to see how many buyers come forward at this price point. Best wishes from my side as I enjoyed driving it !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 15:54   #205
Senior - BHPian

Mouth-watering review.

But I wouldn't touch it with a pole as long as it has the DSG inside it. A manual TSI would have been cheaper and more reliable. My wife loves Polo's looks, so wouldn't have taken much to convince her. But with a DSG, it's a no-brainer.
Old 29th April 2013, 16:28   #206
Senior - BHPian

The OTR pricing in Bangalore was the same I had predicted to a friend. Minimum 9.5 Lakhs.

The pricing is not a surprise since we should look at this car as a replacement for Polo 1.6 and not a alternate to the Polo 1.2 and to compare, the only competition is the i-20 AT, which comes close to competing only because of the type of gearbox /engine output /price.

VW did something which very few auto companies have done which is bring a enthusiast car to India, which they had done in the 1.6 as well and done more in the TSI with the technology it comes with.
The number of cars you will see on road will be more or less the same number of 1.6 that were spotted when it was sold.

I would keep such cars as a dream car for which I will save up and buy and savour.
Would make it even more enjoyable then.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 29th April 2013 at 16:44.
Old 29th April 2013, 16:56   #207
Senior - BHPian

A few more reviews out

On cars -

OverDrive :
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 17:15   #208
Senior - BHPian

I believe the Polo GT is priced a lot higher than what many would be ready to pay for it.

Factors:

1. It is a small car. Hot hatches do not sell hot in India, mainly because cars are a show off rather than a necessity for most of car buyers. One would be easily tempted for the City SMT for that price as the mileage difference isn't not that much.

2. VW After Sales Network is not that widespread & the service costs are perceived on the higher side (though many would ignore or won't know that the intervals are sifficiently longer).

3. Rs.8 Lacs for a petrol hatch is consider a sin in Indian auto market. Diesel is still acceptable to some extent. I have heard of few cases where fathers have sold off or sons to sell off costly stylish/ hot hatches for sedans like Dzire, Manza, etc.

4. The performance is not hot by any standards. 11.74 seconds for 0-100 with electronics acting a nanny can put off many, & IMO with the electronics switched off, the difference would be 1-1.5 seconds at best.

5. Auto tranny is still not favoured amongst the masses, as it is not perceived as frugal. And, VW DSGs don't have good reputation in India (even in our forum).

I believe it would be someone with deeper pockets & enthusiast at heart, who would buy this car, & that could be his well informed decision. Still I hope the government keeps on reducing the price of petrol, & the auto manufacturers keep bringing such cars at reasonable prices (like the Palio's) to cater to handful enthusiasts.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:23   #209
Senior - BHPian

I have to agree with you on that , i would have expected to see slightly better numbers. Overdrive put this car between 11-12 seconds ( 0 to 100 run) in the video above , these same guys put the Fabia 1.6 without the DSG/TSI add on's in the same range as well . While i am not saying that makes the Fabia blistering quick , the polo should have an edge on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

4. The performance is not hot by any standards. 11.74 seconds for 0-100 with electronics acting a nanny can put off many, & IMO with the electronics switched off, the difference would be 1-1.5 seconds at best.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:29   #210
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately even members of premium forums like TBHP are not able to come out of typical indian mindsets. How else can we expect to get reactions like this to a product like Polo TSI? VW should be foolish to position this as a mass product in a price conscious country like India? We are forgetting that VW is trying to launch a sporty car in a country where we are made to believe that extra stickering and alloys can form a sport variant? This car is not for an average joe and if there are some enthusiasts willing to part this kind of money let them buy it..!! It is pathetic to compare it to cars like Honda city on price front.I agree VW should have provided more like rear disc brake, body kit etc for this price.

Last edited by poloman : 29th April 2013 at 17:31.
poloman is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks