Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2014, 09:56   #1891
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
What I meant was that if I've locked it from inside, nobody can open it from outside, but I still open it from inside. Hope now my question is clear?
Once the doors are locked by you from inside, no one can open it from outside but one flick to the door opening lever unlocks the doors.

This is minus I have found in VW cars.

Anurag.
Old 31st August 2014, 10:12   #1892
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

amanomics - just reconfirming..

1. No arm rest I guess.
2. Is there a engine protector cover/rough road guard? Doubt that though..

These are the first two upgrades I'll need to do!
Old 31st August 2014, 10:12   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Once the doors are locked by you from inside, no one can open it from outside but one flick to the door opening lever unlocks the doors.

This is minus I have found in VW cars.

Anurag.

Exactly the confirmation I was looking for! Thanks Anurag.

So its risky, if a child mistakingly, or a irritated GF storms out, and "the GT" driver would have no control over it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
amanomics - just reconfirming..

1. No arm rest I guess.

2. Is there a engine protector cover/rough road guard? Doubt that though..

These are the first two upgrades I'll need to do!
No for both. My armrest is waiting to be fixed!
Old 31st August 2014, 10:32   #1894
BANNED

Quote:
So its risky, if a child mistakingly, or a irritated GF storms out, and "the GT" driver would have no control over it!
Yes in both cases, one flick to the lever and first you'll need to bid bye to the door and second the occupant who tries and opens it.

Very bad feature in terms of safety. How unthoughtful of VW when manufacturing cars for the Indian market.

Anurag.
Old 31st August 2014, 10:35   #1895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The child issue can be addressed with the child locks on the rear doors. If they are activated the inside lever pull won't do anything. There is no way to control the GF in the front seat though. This is a German thing, BMW's are like this as well.

Quote:
Yes in both cases, one flick to the lever and first you'll need to bid bye to the door and second the occupant who tries and opens it.

Very bad feature in terms of safety. How unthoughtful of VW when manufacturing cars for the Indian market.

Anurag.
It's not a bad feature when you consider it prevents you from getting caught in the car in emergency situations. We've seen how people regularly are stuck in burning cars because the locks don't open.

Last edited by StarScream : 31st August 2014 at 10:42. Reason: New reply
Old 31st August 2014, 10:52   #1896
BHPian

Even the Ford Ecosport is like that. Anyone can open the door from inside even after locking the door. I remember asking this same question on the Ford Ecosport thread.

Can't imagine paying 10lakhs for a hatchback but still not getting an armrest or spare alloy wheels.
Looks like Volkswagen is going the Toyota way by milking customers in the name of the "GT" badging.
I would like to have atleast an armrest and paddle shifters in an automatic "GT" spec vehicle. Also more than 2 airbags.
By January the polo gt tsi will be touch 10.5-10.99 lakhs which will no more be a vfm choice at all.
Old 31st August 2014, 11:07   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
Anurag.
I agree that it is a bad safety feature but is not as bad as it sounds (atleast for the rear seats) because the lever can not be opened in one flick. It requires two flicks, one after other for the door to open. First flick would unlock the car but the door would still be closed. Second flick would unlock the door. Yes, it is risky hence, the child lock feature.

For front passenger seat, only one flick is required. That's not good ! Then again, there is a child lock for the front passenger as well (I think !), but I feel that is going too far.

Quote:
Child mistakenly is understandable but irritated GF can't be stopped (we can have as many safety features )
Old 31st August 2014, 11:38   #1898
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Will check with Robin and Gannu (on Robin's VCDS thread) who have fiddled around with the VCDS much, to see if there is something on this door lock/unlock feature which can be customised.
Old 31st August 2014, 11:54   #1899
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigor View Post
First flick would unlock the car but the door would still be closed. Second flick would unlock the door. Yes, it is risky hence, the child lock feature.
I still feel that it is bad on part of VW to have such release systems.

There may be child locks present but not all read owners manual to release that such a feature exists in the car.

What VW should have done is to link the locking / unlocking ONLY by the buttons present below the mirror adjustment system and NOT linked to the door lever.

Anurag.
Old 31st August 2014, 12:04   #1900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigor View Post
I agree that it is a bad safety feature but is not as bad as it sounds (atleast for the rear seats) because the lever can not be opened in one flick. It requires two flicks, one after other for the door to open. First flick would unlock the car but the door would still be closed. Second flick would unlock the door. Yes, it is risky hence, the child lock feature.

For front passenger seat, only one flick is required. That's not good ! Then again, there is a child lock for the front passenger as well (I think !), but I feel that is going too far.

Child mistakenly is understandable but irritated GF can't be stopped (we can have as many safety features )
Quote:
I still feel that it is bad on part of VW to have such release systems.

There may be child locks present but not all read owners manual to release that such a feature exists in the car.

What VW should have done is to link the locking / unlocking ONLY by the buttons present below the mirror adjustment system and NOT linked to the door lever.

Anurag.
Quote:

One more irritant that i experienced in my GT is that when i activate child lock when there are two adults and one really hyperactive child in the backseat. Even after stopping the car and releasing the central locking, the rear doors can't be opened from inside for the adults to come out. You can open only from outside, whatsoever. So, either the driver or the front passenger should get out and open the door for the rear passengers.
Old 31st August 2014, 12:07   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
How did you order your armrest? From the dealer? I would be looking to have one for my GT as well.

Thanks,
Old 31st August 2014, 12:07   #1902
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Even after stopping the car and releasing the central locking, the rear doors can't be opened from inside for the adults to come out. You can open only from outside, whatsoever. So, either the driver or the front passenger should get out and open the door for the rear passengers.
Isn't this common in all cars?

And I think it is normal behaviour IMO.

Anurag.
Old 31st August 2014, 13:10   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
guys, a quick query; which floor mats did you guys get? are 3D mats available for the new polo with dead pedal?
I have Senior 3D mats,but mine is without a Dead pedal.
Old 31st August 2014, 13:15   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
How did you order your armrest? From the dealer? I would be looking to have one for my GT as well.

Thanks,
No man, dealers dont stock it. Ordered from Aliexpress. I've shared my ordering experience in the Shopping thread, let me know if you are not able to find it.

Will be referring to Gannu's thread for installation: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...t-armrest.html
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 13:59   #1905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I thought the idea behind alloys was to make them lighter, so heavier alloys is counterintuitive
Is there no limit to the ignorance of salesmen?

But the truth is that most of us probably buy alloys for looks and because we hate hubcaps that so easily go missing. If they were still bought for their original purpose, there would be no point in the available array of designs.

Quote:
It has a black padding for insulation. Sales guy told me its for heat insulation.
What? Did your salesman have horns and a tail? Did he deposit stuff on on the floor from the other end too?

What does he think? That the engine needs to be kept warm?

(Or is it me that is missing something here? That is always possible!)

Most Viewed