Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 20:06   #2716
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post

I am enjoying the TSI, although driving it in Trivandrum traffic is an exercise in frustration.
Absolutely! The only vehicle for TVM traffic is an autorickshaw. The TSI gives abysmal mileage in bumper to bumper traffic but the DSG makes life a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Its a refined cruiser and I really enjoyed the drive despite the problems I had switching to a smaller car so quickly from a really fast car. The DSG box is fantastic and I really did not miss the stick at all. The steering weighs up nicely at speed and brakes are quite adequate for normal driving. VW has tuned the suspension perfectly for our roads. Yes, it is a bit too soft for spirited driving and there is a bit of body roll if you push it hard left to right, but the ride quality is something to cherish. Straight line stability is good and generally as a driver you feel in control of things. Mileage achieved was 14 kmpl with Speed 97.
Refined cruiser is right! On a recent trip to Kodaikanal (400+ km) I found the Polo TSI to be almost as stable at speed and on corners as my (old) Octavia.
Old 14th April 2015, 00:45   #2717
Team-BHP Support

Bad news for those who are going to buy the GT TSI.

Volkswagen has gone on a cost-cutting spree and the new batch of cars coming in lose a few things.

- The fabric on the door cards has been deleted. It is now plain black plastic.

- The leather wrap on the hand-brake has been deleted.

- The chrome accents on and around the headlight switch have been deleted. (not sure if it's been like this since the facelift was introduced)

- Apollo Accelares / Alnacs make way for MRF ZVTVs, or worse, JK tyres!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th April 2015 at 00:48.
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 02:13   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Volkswagen has gone on a cost-cutting spree and the new batch of cars coming in lose a few things.

- The chrome accents on and around the headlight switch have been deleted. (not sure if it's been like this since the facelift was introduced)

This is seriously saddening, on road prices for the gt hovers around 10L and after paying so much we get less and its going to be even lesser now
Is it possible to get these features from VW dealers, especially the fabric on the door cards and the leather wrap on the hand-brake?
Old 14th April 2015, 09:26   #2719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
This is seriously saddening, on road prices for the gt hovers around 10L and after paying so much we get less and its going to be even lesser now

Is it possible to get these features from VW dealers, especially the fabric on the door cards and the leather wrap on the hand-brake?

Now leave the GT buy a pre-owned Laura Tsi then remap it,add a full system exhaust and a good set of suspension all for under 10lakhs! (Money still left for clutch overhaul ignition coil and compressor failure)
As it is you don't want an automatic.
Old 14th April 2015, 10:15   #2720
Distinguished - BHPian

There's a hissing sound from the front dampers everytime I go over a speed breaker. Is this normal? In fact similar hissing sound would emanate from the dampers of my Laura as well, though not as pronounced. I think its quite characteristic of the stock dampers on these VAG cars. This sound completely disappeared after I swapped them out for Bilsteins on my Laura. I am quite happy with the stock suspension on the Polo as it is going to do more duty within city and I don't want to lose out on the absorbient ride. But off late this hissing sound is really getting on my nerves!

Quote:

Volkswagen has gone on a cost-cutting spree and the new batch of cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
My Dec 2014 FL GT TSI does not have

1) Fabric on door pad
2) Chrome accents on headlight switch. (I don't think even the earlier GTs had it)

Will check the handbrake and confirm.

The Apollo Alnacs are quite decent and I am happy with them (so far atleast). It will be sad if they switch to MRF ZVTVs or JKs!!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 14th April 2015 at 10:21.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 11:06   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
There's a hissing sound from the front dampers everytime I go over a speed breaker. Is this normal?
Hi Santhosh, I guess this is normal. Even I am getting this in my car.
This is more pronounced while driving down the slope(e.g. while entering basement parking area having speed breakers)
Old 14th April 2015, 12:03   #2722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

This is a new low in cost cutting from a manufacturer. For the most expensive hatch back in this segment, costing 10.5L on road in Bangalore to lose these basic features is seriously cheap.

The fabric on the door cards was a mere 6-7 inches by 4 inches cloth piece. There wasn't even any padding below. How much are they saving by not putting these 4 cloth pieces?

The leather wrap was probably a 4X4 inch around the hand brake lever. Again maximum a few hundred bucks of leather.

The chrome around the headlight switch? Seriously this I fail to understand. I remember this was deleted from the Vento/Polo before due to lack of stock.

Over and above the Polo GT has cornering lamps but they are with the fog lamps. There is an empty dummy light in the extreme edge. God knows why.

The Polo including the GT was already under speced, it takes a really greedy mind to go and remove even more and jack the price up.

They are milking the folks who are blinded by the TSI and DSG combo, plus the lack of options for an automatic hatch with good performance.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th April 2015 at 00:47. Reason: adding some more points.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 12:13   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Now leave the GT buy a pre-owned Laura Tsi then remap it,add a full system exhaust and a good set of suspension all for under 10lakhs! (Money still left for clutch overhaul ignition coil and compressor failure)
As it is you don't want an automatic.
Evaluating the Jetta 1.4 Tsi trendline as well, the Laura alternative seems crazy but a used Skoda will give nightmares.
1.4 Tsi with a stage 1 remap will put out somewhere between 150-160 bhp
Old 14th April 2015, 12:17   #2724
Team-BHP Support

Then perhaps VW should revise the specs indicated in their website to reflect the changes so as to not mislead customers:

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 2594
Size:  56.2 KB

Polo GT TSI - Standard Features

JK tires - that's a new low esp. on such premium hatchbacks. I was glad they gave some new stuff on the facelifted models (new steering, new headlamps, footwell lights, dead pedal, upgraded BCM etc.) but silently downgrading the other things that mostly go unnoticed (thanks to Suhaas’ keen eyes, he happened to notice them) is bad.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th April 2015 at 12:21.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 14:27   #2725
BHPian

The first few batches(mine was among the first ones) of the facelift came in with leather wrapped hand brake and fabric on door armrests, but no chrome accents on the light switch. I noticed my cousin's GT TSI, bought in Feb had the fabric and leather missing.

Acceleres might not be a big loss. they were a middle of the pack offering, which I guess MRFs and JK's also have.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 20:59   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
There's a hissing sound from the front dampers everytime I go over a speed breaker. But off late this hissing sound is really getting on my nerved

1) Fabric on door pad
2) Chrome accents on headlight switch. (I don't think even the earlier GTs had it)

Will check the handbrake and confirm.

The Apollo Alnacs are quite decent and I am happy with them (so far atleast). It will be sad if they switch to MRF ZVTVs or JKs!!
Santosh, if it's of any consolation, I have the same issue. Can get a bit too loud on concrete loads with surface imperfections. I switch on the music system.

Guess I missed the cost cutting by buying a month earlier... Cheapskates.
Old 14th April 2015, 21:09   #2727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
RPM keeps going up in "N" and when the brake pedal is pressed
Problem 1:
On last weekend, my car was in "N"(DSG in Neutral) and brake pedal was pressed. I could see that RPM kept going up till 3K (without pressing the accelerator). I had to switch off the car, and start it once again.

From then on, I could see this once again. But not able to reproduce this every time.

Problem 2:
Now, when the car is in "N" and I apply the foot brake, I could see rpm going up couple of notches(900 rpm to 1300 rpm). When I remove my leg from the brake, it comes back to 900 rpm.
I have checked the same in my friend's Vento TSi, rpm was at same point(whether I press brake or not)

Same does not happen with the handbrake.

Guys, any help in identifying this is well appreciated.

Note: One month back, I had given the car for the 30K service.
Rohan, mostly vacuum leak in the brake booster. It happened in my Swift petrol a few years back. They did some brake bleeding, replaced a 'check' valve if I remember. This happened after they did a 'brakes servicing' without asking.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 19:21   #2728
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have a doubt, I have observed that the non GT polos are lower than GTs.
Does GT have a spacer or any rough road package-suspension?
Old 15th April 2015, 22:17   #2729
Senior - BHPian

A friend took delivery of his GT after a >4 month wait. Reason for delay was my friend changing his mind in between for a 2014 to 2015 car and the dealer toying with his patience threshold. First time car owner and with almost nil experience behind the wheel resulted in the usual fear of taking the car out of the showroom, so I took the wheel of the car, in the thick of 6pm Bangalore traffic. I was nervous. First thing we did was head to the gas station and tank up. Then we headed to the temple for blessings. The swamiji blessed the hot exhaust manifold too by touching it. From the temple, I asked my friend to drive to his house, a distance of <.5 km. He managed well and was already in love with the ease of driving his new car.

I did not run through a comprehensive PDI. Took a good look at the car, popped the hood, checked the boot, quick interior check, verified the chassis number with the Insurance and Tax Paid receipt, customary photo and we were off.

While I was doing the check, I paid attention to the points on post #2721.

1. MRF ZVTV tires.
2. Chrome ring missing around the multi function head lamp/fog lamp control switch.
3. Missing fabric on the doors. Looks more like a giant mass of plastic that won't be out of place if compared to what you get on a Swift Ldi. I think the door pads on the Swift look more premium.
4. The plastic wrap around the hand brake lever is so low rent that I feel it will get warped if the car is parked out in the sun all day. The quality of this plastic part belongs to a car in the range of 3 lacs or lower

On dashboard color, I don't remember what the early GT's looks like. Was it black or grey? The car I drove today was grey.

Very disappointing move from VW. Cost cutting is unacceptable on a car costing well over 10 lac on road.

I saw the cornering lamps light up while parking. Really cool.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th April 2015 at 22:19.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 22:51   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

3. Missing fabric on the doors. Looks more like a giant mass of plastic that won't be out of place if compared to what you get on a Swift Ldi. I think the door pads on the Swift look more premium.
4. The plastic wrap around the hand brake lever is so low rent that I feel it will get warped if the car is parked out in the sun all day. The quality of this plastic part belongs to a car in the range of 3 lacs or lower

On dashboard color, I don't remember what the early GT's looks like. Was it black or grey? The car I drove today was grey.
Hi Sandeep,
Can you please post some pics if its possible.The new Polo's dashboard is black.The vento's dashboard colour is somewhat grey.Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-2015volkswagenventouserexperience.jpg
Was this the colour?

Most Viewed