Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 19:31   #2941
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Thanks guys. Method suggested by SLK worked for me.
Unpaired all Bluetooth devices from the phone and music system. Paired the devices and voila
Old 30th July 2015, 08:48   #2942
Senior - BHPian

Finished my first tank-full in 6 days. I had done around 530 km on this tank when I drove into the fuel bunk.
What happened next, amazed me! The auto cut-off mechanism of the fuel dispenser kicked in at 42 litres. I asked that guy to fill to the brim, considering almost 2 litres of fuel does go in after that with a little coaxing.
He started filling, kept filling and STILL kept filling. The damn fuel tank was just not getting full. Finally, after a long wait, the tank showed signs of brimming at 49.6 litres!!!!!

Now this has raised a red flag in my eyes. HOW can a Polo, with it's 42 litre fuel tank, take in almost 50 litres of fuel? Have I been conned by the pump, or is the tank actually that big?

PLEASE NOTE: The reserve light had come on at 505 km and I drove around 25 km at 80 in D7 after that (since the roads were quite empty)
Old 30th July 2015, 09:55   #2943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

The damn fuel tank was just not getting full. Finally, after a long wait, the tank showed signs of brimming at 49.6 litres!!!!!
You are not alone in this pondering thought frankmehta, count me in!!

Few months back, I did a 1200km round trip through coastal Karnataka in my GT TDI and the journey started with a tankful which was about 42 ltrs, as I had close to 3 ltrs left in the tank. The reserve light started flashing after I had done 865 kms, which is ~20 km/l. When I tanked up this time, the GT gulped 48 ltrs!!

From what I understand, the Polo comes in with 45 ltr fuel tank. However, I have heard/read owners reporting an actual of around 50 ltrs capacity. Could this actually be the reason ?

Experts please enlighten.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 30th July 2015 at 10:20.
Old 30th July 2015, 10:18   #2944
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
You are not alone in this pondering thought frankmehta, count me in!!

Few months back, I did a 1200km round trip through coastal Karnataka in my GT TDI and the journey started with a tankful which was about 42 ltrs, as I had close to 3 ltrs left in the tank. The reserve light started flashing after I had done 865 kms, which is ~20 km/l. When I tanked up this time, the GT gulped 48 ltrs!!

From what I understand, the Polo comes in with 45 ltr fuel tank and have heard/read owners reporting an actual of around 50 ltrs capacity. Could this actually be the reason ?

Experts please enlighten.
I think: Cars generally have fuel tanks on the left. The cars which have the fuel opening on the right have a longer pipeline to the tank. Like both my GT TSI and Optra Magnum take about 12ltrs of fuel after the auto cut and that makes it go over the stated tank capacity.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 10:24   #2945
Team-BHP Support

The actual tank capacity maybe 45 litres. What goes in can be more. From the fuel filler to the tank, the pipe maybe routed circuitously, If the pipe is 4-5 feet long till the tank, that's easily 4-5 litres of extra volume.

This is quite normal and nothing really new. There are cars which can take 10 litres more than tank capacity.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 04:02   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishka88 View Post
Experts need your help -

I am unable to play music via Bluetooth. This is happening on iOS and Android devices. The device gets connected to the system, is able to receive and dial phone numbers (with sound coming from speakers) but when I am playing music, the track is displayed but there is no sound.

I have reset the system, and have re-paired the devices multiple times. This is not working. Any suggestions here?
This is an age old issue that I once spent a lot of time (and money) trying to fix with VW. The biggest problem with this issue is that it's sporadic, and doesnt happen all the time. But once it does occur, it stays as long as the key is plugged in to the car. I replaced the entire system (I think its called the RCD 320) 3 times
from VW, but the issue still kept re-ocurring sporadically.

Finally got a workaround that actually works -

1) Turn your bluetooth 'on' on your device.
2) DO not start the car. Simply turn the key and keep it in neutral.
3) Connect to the device from the car.
4) Switch to Media and then hit the Bluetooth button on the audio system.
5) Check if the audio is playing.
6) If not, then simply pull the key out, lock the car, wait a few seconds and repeat the process.

It's important you don't start the vehicle in case the system does not respond, because the only way you can guarantee it works is when the car is turned off. I have been using the above workaround everyday for the past year - and it has worked 99.9% of the time. The rare occasions when it did not work I simple redid the process, and it worked the second time. Never had to try more than once.
ahmadnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 13:00   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
My Arctic White Polo GT TSi is being delivered tomorrow. Very excited to be part of this club. I have owned a lot of 'enthusiast favourite' cars including the Fiesta 1.6S, Honda Civic, Swift 1.3DDIS and the Cruze 2.0LTZ but the passion shown by Polo TSi owners is unmatched, either on Team-Bhp or outside!
True. I am more excited about this car than I was about my Cruze. I am hoping to get the delivery of our Red GT TSI tomorrow or early next week.

Quote:
1. Couple of queries:
-- I might be getting MRF tires. What is the BEST size and brand for a quiet, supple and comfortable ride quality?
I have used Micheline P3ST on my Cruze for the last 20k km. The tyres are good, really silent. However, on the stock JK Vectra the Cruze used to feel more planted on the road (not talking about cornering), while on the P3STs, the car became like a train on road which are not bad but slightly uneven. For the Polo, I am going with Yokohama ES100 if I change the tyres at all. I still do not know which stock tyres I am getting.

Quote:
I will be making small mods here and there, but not touching the drivetrain or the suspension.
I have purchased extended warranty already, so, even if any other warranty is void, at least the gearbox is still covered under that nominal 10231 rupee amount.
The dealer told me that I can buy the extended warranty for the same price even one year later, so I am not buying the extended warranty now. Concerns about the gearbox had reduced. With more Polo GT TSIs and Vento TSIs on the road now, and not too many complains, it may be safer than we thought earlier.

Not getting the extended warranty would give me a good excuse for trying remaps and other stuff after two years.
Old 31st July 2015, 16:47   #2948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_majumdar View Post
I have used Micheline P3ST on my Cruze for the last 20k km. The tyres are good, really silent. However, on the stock JK Vectra the Cruze used to feel more planted on the road (not talking about cornering), while on the P3STs, the car became like a train on road which are not bad but slightly uneven. For the Polo, I am going with Yokohama ES100 if I change the tyres at all. I still do not know which stock tyres I am getting.
Could you please elaborate a little bit more on your experience with the P3ST with the Cruze? Did they provide a good & precise steering feel? How about cornering grip & braking? When you say they're like a train on the road, is that a good thing or bad?

I know they're quiet & comfortable but regarding their grip / cornering / braking abilities, I've heard everything from very good to very bad.

So, would be great if you could weigh in. Thanks!
Old 1st August 2015, 00:01   #2949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
Could you please elaborate a little bit more on your experience with the P3ST with the Cruze? Did they provide a good & precise steering feel? How about cornering grip & braking? When you say they're like a train on the road, is that a good thing or bad?

I know they're quiet & comfortable but regarding their grip / cornering / braking abilities, I've heard everything from very good to very bad.

So, would be great if you could weigh in. Thanks!
To answer this, I actually had to read up a bit about the technical terms. In a train moving at a medium speed, we feel a hunting oscillation (a swaying motion). This Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting_oscillation has a nice animation to illustrate that. With Michelin tyres I felt the car behaved little bit like that. I felt so with the Michelin XM1 on my earlier Getz, and also with the P3STs on my Cruze. Also, the cars felt lighter with the Michelin.

I won't be able to say very clearly about the grip, as I did not ever try (or had to perform) adventurous cornering, but I don't think the P3STs improved cornering from the stock JKs. I was still happier with the P3STs because (1) The JK Vectras were very prone to puncture, in spite of being tubelsss. (2) The P3STs were silent and (3) The Cruze being 1.5tonne heavy anyway, I did not mind it feeling slightly lighter.

I drove my cousin's Palio 1.6 (a very old car) and GT TSI, both running on Yokohama ES100, and was surprised to see how the cars felt planted at high speeds in spite of being much smaller compared to my Cruze.

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st August 2015 at 16:31. Reason: Typo
deb_majumdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 13:09   #2950
BHPian

Quote:
With Micheline tyres I felt the car behaved little bit like that.

I drove my cousin's Palio 1.6 (a very old car) and GT TSI, both running on Yokohama ES100, and was surprised to see how the cars felt planted at high speeds in spite of being much smaller compared to my Cruze.
Thanks so much deb! This is the first review that properly clarifies for me the feel of the tyres. And, it finally made me understand I need to look for something 'sportier' / more performance oriented. My search continues
Old 1st August 2015, 15:01   #2951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
Thanks so much deb! This is the first review that properly clarifies for me the feel of the tyres. And, it finally made me understand I need to look for something 'sportier' / more performance oriented. My search continues
Right, that's my opinion too. P3STs are certainly not bad. They don't get punctured easily either. They are very good all round tyres. In fact several people highly recommend P3STs here. But, I don't think they are that sporty.

I am trying to get Yoko ES100s for my GT TSI today. The dealer tried to convince me towards P3ST (the same dealer insisted me to buy Bridgestone Potenza when I bought P3STs for my Cruze; at that time he was not a Micheline distributor, now he is) or Continental MC5s. I do not have the option of keeping the stock tyres as they are T rated. Can you believe that? A Polo GT TSI is being sold with T rated Goodyear DP V1 tyres!
Old 1st August 2015, 17:47   #2952
BHPian

I have a request to the Administrators. When a car is revamped in quite a big way ( Like this one) would it be possibe to mention the page from where the new version gets discussed, in the heading?
It's like this- I'm in the market for a new hatchback and I'm quite keen on the revamped Polo Tsi.
I'd initially been following this review when it came out but lost touch with it over the months. Now I really don't have the time to go through 197 pages of it. i just want to re-read the initial superb review and want to flip to where the refreshed version is discussed but am getting frustrated trying to find the page.
Wonder if it makes sense to you guys? :-)
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 18:50   #2953
BHPian

Quote:
Can you believe that? A Polo GT TSI is being sold with T rated Goodyear DP V1 tyres!
It was hard for me to digest, too. Just went back and checked out the Polo GT TSI I have recently booked.

Both white cars in stockyard have Goodyear tyres. Even after detailed looking, could not find the DP or Duraplus branding anywhere. How is that possible? Are there any other Goodyear tyres that are available with the TSI?

However, tyres are rated with a T, so I am assuming these are Duraplus. Showroom guys are clueless.

Anyway to confirm this?
Old 1st August 2015, 21:11   #2954
BHPian

So, it's been a blissful 9 months of ownership, 5.5 Km done so far.

One of my recent 'mods' has been an utter revelation, and completely changes the character of the car - the GTI Mk 7 paddle shift steering.

In this car,
1. The D mode is super miserly, shifts up as soon as possible.
2. The S mode is boy-racer aggressive, unnecessarily redlining in every gear - way past the peak power-band
3. Triptonic - never got used to it. There's a slightly irritating lag and the polarities are reversed - could never get comfortable with pushing up for upshift.

Finally the perfect solution - the GTI steering. Plug and play. Retains all functionality of the original steering. Did not opt for the cruise control steering - there were some reports of it not being compatible. Didn't want to risk it.

So now, Triptronic mode activates paddles and stays in the paddles mode only. In D or S, touching the paddles activates them. Automatically goes back to D or S if paddles aren't used for a while.

The main benefits :

1. Looks fantastic. Takes the desirability quotient to another level. Happiness.

2. The response time is blindingly quick. The slight triptonic 'lag' has vanished. The last paddles I drove was the Civic - and that now feels like a Jurassic relic.

3. Superb real-life use. I could, for the first time, appreciate the beauty of 4th and 5th gears in traffic. Man, does she move... Cruising in D7 at 70 kmph and want to get rid of a pesky car driving at 50 kmph on your lane? Double downshift, enjoy the roller coaster pick up, come back to your lane, car goes back to D7. Bumper to bumper traffic? Stay in 1st, upshift whenever you want to 2nd - minimize gearshifts - preserve gearbox.

4. For quick driving of course, it's so easy to stay in the power band so often, that I'm only now beginning to appreciating the true mid-range punch of this pocket rocket!

5. Protection - it won't lug. The car automatically chooses a lower gear if you are going much too slowly for the gear you are in. I like that, especially in traffic. It's as if the hard work of the paddles the car takes over and the pleasurable work is all yours.

Special thanks to Jatin at Wagenwerkz for a superbly fast, carefully done half an hour install.

Some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_20150731_191040.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img20150426wa0011.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img20150725wa0049.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img20150725wa0082.jpg  

d_himan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 23:50   #2955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
It was hard for me to digest, too. Just went back and checked out the Polo GT TSI I have recently booked.

Both white cars in stockyard have Goodyear tyres. Even after detailed looking, could not find the DP or Duraplus branding anywhere. How is that possible? Are there any other Goodyear tyres that are available with the TSI?

However, tyres are rated with a T, so I am assuming these are Duraplus. Showroom guys are clueless.

Anyway to confirm this?
I will look at the tyres more closely tomorrow morning and post photos. The tyre dealer could not give me Yokohama ES100 today. He in fact said those are out of production! I have to find out from other dealers within the next two days.

Got my GT TSI delivered this afternoon. Loving the drive so far. Surely, changing the tyres will help. One small niggle -- there is a little bit of vapour inside the headlamps. It wasn't there when I took the delivery, but noticed it after I came home. I think I should tell them to fix this in some way. The car is new, June manufactured, and had run only 20kms when I took the delivery. Will write a detailed account of my research, booking and delivery experience soon.

There was another car (a Polo Trendline I think) in line for delivery today which had a lot more vapour inside the showroom itself. Not sure why these are happening with brand new cars.

Most Viewed