BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Drive sedately. And you get this!

Attachment 1400182

Also, a new addition. ☺
Attachment 1400183

More on this.. And many more.. In the review. Coming soon!
Congrats on the GT TSI. The aftermarket steering looks great especially with those paddle shifters.

Couldn't help but notice that the SRS airbag inscribed on steering is not present on the aftermarket one that you have installed. So does the airbag have to be removed to install the steering or is it still present without the inscription?
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 23:31   #2987
Senior - BHPian

Did you mean this one?

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20150803_180545_hdr.jpg

Sorry. Earlier photos didn't show.

This is a Genuine VW Golf GTi steering wheel, not an aftermarket replica. It comes with it's own airbag. It's a plug and play thing! That's the beauty of it.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 01:21   #2988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
So, it's been a blissful 9 months of ownership, 5.5 Km done so far.

One of my recent 'mods' has been an utter revelation, and completely changes the character of the car - the GTI Mk 7 paddle shift steering.
I have been planning on upgrading the steering for a while now. After reading your post, I am even more inclined
Can you please share where you sourced the steering from?
adityan27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 10:53   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
I have been planning on upgrading the steering for a while now. After reading your post, I am even more inclined
Can you please share where you sourced the steering from?
PMed you adityan! Go for it, you'll love the feel good factor it brings along!

Last edited by d_himan : 8th August 2015 at 11:16.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 12:21   #2990
BHPian

Decided to take the plunge. Going today to book one - i like the baby in red. The dealer has 2 in stock - one red and one white. Hopefully the delivery will be quick.

I don't plan too many mods currently (am broke already), but would like to get the armrest and the tire upgrade.

On tires, sorry for being repetitive since there are multiple posts already on this subject. My pure reason to go for tire upgrade is to spruce the looks, without compromising on the comfort and drivability. Accordingly, which ones do you pros suggest - the Michelins or the Yokos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Yes Irwin. I'm facing a slight niggling pain in my lower back after driving 100 km in the city.
But then again, I've faced the same pain in my (new) Swift.
The same back pain doesn't occur when I drive my brio nor my cruze nor my estilo.
But honestly, seats have different effects on different people. My wife says she has no trouble driving the Polo. But the same drive in the brio gives her a backache.
It's all about how your body is contoured. Also, once can always have an orthopedic seat supporting one's back if something like this occurs. You can't eliminate this!car from your list because of this.
Old 8th August 2015, 21:39   #2991
BHPian

30,000 km Update :

Hi guys, just finished my 2 nd service at 30k kms. Wow, that was something. When i decided to get a car for me, my family was strongly in favor of a diesel because of the price difference between petrol and diesel that time. But i said it will be a petrol (Keeping GT TSI in mind ) as my running will be less and will make more sense. Now I stand sheepishly in front of them lapping up 30,000 kms in a year and 9 months.

Had the service done at Sundaram VW in chennai. Total bill came to Rs. 8650. Have attached the invoice.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20150808_21_14_00_pro.jpg

The fly in the ointment was bajaj allianz. Had the drive assure package and so thought will get the dents removed from my right doors and replace the bumper that got cut during on my cousin's outings.
But it happened a month back and since the service was coming up thought will get it done with it. But in for a rude shock as the surveyor said will cover only either one of them as i have not informed them immediately after the incident and some non sense. Was really infuriated and cancelled the claim and took my car and left. I think this drive assure crap which costs almost double the regular premiums from others is definitely not worth it.

Apart from this, the ownership has been excellent and have made me addicted to the TSI+DSG combo. Also the upgrades that i did so far are holding up fine till now.
1. Michelin P3ST 195/60 R15 on day of delivery - Is holding up quite well with zero punctures. Hoping it will last the next 15k before i have swap them.
2. Driver armrest - A must and simple upgrade.
3. Gentex Auto dimming IRVM - Cursing VW for not providing this important safety equipment.
4. Anti glare ORVM with turn signals.
5. Morimoto D2S bi xenon projectors - Really helps in my long night drives. Excellent focused light with good throw.

The next big thing on my mind is the GTI wheel with paddles. Just bidding my time. Welcome inputs from team members. My only criteria is should have airbags. Vagtune shows a lot of steering wheels with combinations making my confusion worse. Happy motoring.
drpudhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 17:12   #2992
BHPian

I have just booked a white GT TSI

My mind was battling between manual and AT from last so many weeks to replace my 6yr old Swift. I went from Jazz to Creta to S-Cross(I had even pre-booked 1.6 Alpha and eventually cancelled it) in last one month. After I TD TSI (twice) there was no looking back. So I visited VW Bangalore twice last week and on both occasions I clearly asked SA if any GT facelift is expected as I don't want to drive out a new GT from showroom if VW is coming up with a facelift. I am ready to hold my purchase for few months if required, SA said there are none planned anytime soon. So, I decided to discuss with my family during weekend and probably book one during this week. Planning to get these things done right away on my new GT:
  • Leather Seats
  • OEM arm rest
  • HU
  • Auto dimming IRVM and anti-glare ORVMs
  • Replacing stock tires with either Michelin P3ST or XM2
  • Retrofitting the cruise control(when vitamin M is strong)

Today morning I get a call from my SA and he tells me that VW is introducing few new features on the Polo GT from this month with 10K price hike.
  • New glovebox with cooling
  • Electrically foldable ORVMs
  • Cruise control

I was so elated with this news, within 1hr I was at the VW Bangalore,Hosur Road and booked a white TSI . I am the first one to book this new Polo GT and he promised the delivery in 30 days.
SA is clear that there are no design changes to this new Polo and also no new color options being introduced. I wanted to know if the new ORVMs comes with indicators like new Vento. He is not sure about it but promised to check and update me. He will send me the new e-brochure once he gets it.
Agonizing wait for the new car starts.
BlueEyes is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 17:51   #2993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Today morning I get a call from my SA and he tells me that VW is introducing few new features on the Polo GT from this month with 10K price hike.
  • New glovebox with cooling
  • Electrically foldable ORVMs
  • Cruise control
Thanks for the update. Its only fitting to get these update as the competition offers all these aswell.

My few addons:

I connected with a friend who is also looking to buy a POLO and his SA told him that a new POLO limited edition is coming (over highline); that will sport the Blaupunkt 835 as standard. I guess they would call it KONECT or something.

Anyway, all these welcome updates aside.

Any word on the GT TDi DSG? That would be a no-brainer for me. Deal Santa

Last edited by Aditya : 14th August 2015 at 07:24. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 12th August 2015, 18:09   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
30,000 km Update :

Hi guys, just finished my 2 nd service at 30k kms. Wow, that was something. When i decided to get a car for me, my family was strongly in favor of a diesel because of the price difference between petrol and diesel that time. But i said it will be a petrol (Keeping GT TSI in mind ) as my running will be less and will make more sense. Now I stand sheepishly in front of them lapping up 30,000 kms in a year and 9 months.

Had the service done at Sundaram VW in chennai. Total bill came to Rs. 8650. Have attached the invoice.
Did you check the engine oil level after your service. I found that after my 3rd service from Sundaram VW in chennai the engine oil was not filled at the right level. When i check with the SA the next day he was giving vague explanation. I checked one of the vento which was scheduled for delivery after service did not even have any sign of oil in the dip stick . Better check it if not.
Old 12th August 2015, 19:01   #2995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Any word on the GT TDi DSG? That would be a no-brainer for me. Deal Santa
I just got off from the phone from my SA. He confirmed that these updates are for both GT, TSI & TDI.

I don't know why but I am still very apprehensive about these new features. Even though I spoke to showroom manager when I was there today and he confirmed that VW has sent out circulation yesterday confirming these updated features on GT twins. VW India portal not updated yet with any of the new features. I just hope new electrically foldable ORVMs will also house Vento like indicators. More than this I am just delighted that VW thought of adding cruise control I know there will be debate whether or not this is useful on Indian roads. Trust me, I have driven with and without cruise control on Indian highways. It's extremely handy, specially so for AT.
Will it be the first hatchback in India to have one ?
Old 12th August 2015, 19:08   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
I just got off from the phone from my SA. He confirmed that these updates are for both GT, TSI & TDI.

I don't know why but I am still very apprehensive about these new features. Even though I spoke to showroom manager when I was there today and he confirmed that VW has sent out circulation yesterday confirming these updated features on GT twins. VW India portal not updated yet with any of the new features. I just hope new electrically foldable ORVMs will also house Vento like indicators. More than this I am just delighted that VW thought of adding cruise control I know there will be debate whether or not this is useful on Indian roads. Trust me, I have driven with and without cruise control on Indian highways. It's extremely handy, specially so for AT.
Will it be the first hatchback in India to have one ?
Can you please also ask your SA if the GT TDi will get the DSG box anytime soon (same as Vento)?
Old 12th August 2015, 21:59   #2997
Senior - BHPian

Just one month after I took delivery. I needed cruise control the most 😓

Also. Electric folding orvms is a great add on. Cooled glove box is a gimmick.

Congrats blue eyes.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 09:22   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Can you please also ask your SA if the GT TDi will get the DSG box anytime soon (same as Vento)?
Sorry, I didn't answer your question on the previous post, yesterday was an exciting day you see

No, as per my SA there is no DSG box in TDi for now. He says, he was sent to VW Chakan plant few months back. He heard about DSG being tested in Polo TDi but he is not sure if and when VW will decide to launch it even if it does he don't think it will be this year. But, you never know with these things.
Old 13th August 2015, 09:54   #2999
BHPian

Quote:

I don't know why but I am still very apprehensive about these new features. Even though I spoke to showroom manager when I was there today and he confirmed that VW has sent out circulation yesterday confirming these updated features on GT twins
Thanks for the valuable info.
I'm just glad I read your update in time. Was planning to book a GT TDI over the weekend. Will not mind even waiting a couple of months if it ships with Cruise Control and Electrically foldable ORVMs.
Have they already started shipping with these or expected soon?
Old 13th August 2015, 15:25   #3000
BHPian

Wow! I must say I am supremely jealous for I really miss automated ORVMs and cruise control on my TSI.

Since its just a 10k bump, is there a way to get these two retro-fitted from VW itself?

I really want cruise control
#ish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed