Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2016, 08:39   #3826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Hi, Is anyone using infant car seat in their Polo's. Is there ISOFIX option in Polo? Also does our seat belt has enough length to place the seat in rear facing position?

Is there any similar product in a cost economical sense available. Chicco seats have some good review.
http://www.firstcry.com/Chicco/Chicc...o%20car%20seat

My son had started sitting in the front facing position by the time I bought the Polo but I think the seat belt should have enough length to place the seat in the rear facing position.

Legroom for the kid is limited if you push back the seat back. However I think it should be okay once we start using a booster seat. I've got a L'll Wanderers seat. Would work from infancy till the kid is around 5/6 years old. A car seat is worth it's weight in gold. Safety aside it is so convenient, you can take the kid alone out with you without having to depend on others. Long drives are a breeze without someone having to hold him for a long period of time or having a rambunctious toddler clambering all over the car when driving. And once they associate the seat with the opportunity to travel with you, they will like it.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 09:48   #3827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I am wondering why VW has not been importing 1.2 TSI engines for the last 2.5 months. Prior to this they have been consistently importing 300-500 engines per month. Have not seen any news or indications of the TSI sales going down.

Attachment 1501734

General Import trend in previous months.

Attachment 1501735

GT TSI engines are imported engines? If yes, damn i never knew it is imported.I own a Dec 2015 model and hope it is imported if the engines are imported
Old 1st May 2016, 20:14   #3828
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Is anyone using infant car seat in their Polo's. Is there ISOFIX option in Polo? Also does our seat belt has enough length to place the seat in rear facing position?

Is there any similar product in a cost economical sense available. Chicco seats have some good review.
http://www.firstcry.com/Chicco/Chicc...o%20car%20seat
Hi, no the polo does not have isofix. The seat need to be attached through the seat belt only. The length requirement for child seats is variable for each seat as it depends on its size and the mechanism to route the seat belt they adopt to fix the seat. Also the seat you have showed, the chicco eletta doesnot support isofix either and needs to be fixed through seat belt only. The important thing is the American academy of pediatricians recommend rear facing position for upto 2 years of age as their spine is not fully developed to endure the shear when the neck is pushed forward during sudden stops/crashes. Hope this helps.

i recently bought the chicco nextfit which supports isofix and a simple seat belt based fixing solution. But its costly. Only time will tell if the investment is worth it.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 20:42   #3829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
But its costly. Only time will tell if the investment is worth it.
God forbid that it is ever put to the test!

I went on a sea survival course many years ago. It was a pro seamans' official course, but that day we were all yacht sailors. After a day of learning about all sorts of emergency equipment, how to abandon ship (from a hight), life jackets, life rafts (practicals in the pool) the instructor's last words were, "... And I sincerely hope that, for all you, today has been a complete waste of time."

This it is with all serious safety equipment: Let us hope we have wasted our money!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 21:06   #3830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
Also when the car is in motion I cannot fold back the side mirrors in case I just want to. Has anyone else noticed that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
I have been able to fold the mirrors when I am driving. Its a must have feature for the traffic I face in Gurgaon. Hope this helps.
You can electrically fold ORVMs on running car only till certain speed, say <40kmph. Beyond that speed you can't fold the mirrors. That's by design and makes perfect sense as why would someone fold outside mirrors on speeding car
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 21:13   #3831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
God forbid that it is ever put to the test!

I went on a sea survival course many years ago. It was a pro seamans' official course, but that day we were all yacht sailors. After a day of learning about all sorts of emergency equipment, how to abandon ship (from a hight), life jackets, life rafts (practicals in the pool) the instructor's last words were, "... And I sincerely hope that, for all you, today has been a complete waste of time."

This it is with all serious safety equipment: Let us hope we have wasted our money!
Ya thanks for the concern and lets hope its safety is not put to test. But i intended the worthiness purely on the basis of ease of use, comfort and value for money compared to other less expensive seats in market as i was comparing it with the model petrol_power had mentioned. And believe me, i see first hand more than most here the catastrophe of not investing on safety. Safe driving.
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:24   #3832
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, no the polo does not have isofix. The seat need to be attached through the seat belt only. The length requirement for child seats is variable for each seat as it depends on its size and the mechanism to route the seat belt they adopt to fix the seat. Also the seat you have showed, the chicco eletta doesnot support isofix either and needs to be fixed through seat belt only. The important thing is the American academy of pediatricians recommend rear facing position for upto 2 years of age as their spine is not fully developed to endure the shear when the neck is pushed forward during sudden stops/crashes. Hope this helps.

i recently bought the chicco nextfit which supports isofix and a simple seat belt based fixing solution. But its costly. Only time will tell if the investment is worth it.
Thank you for the information. Chicco nextfit, it is a beautiful seat, but very expensive. Great. Are you able to fix your seat in the rear facing manner in your Polo? I guess Elleta and nextfit are of same size. I can see that Elleta sells almost 4k rs lower in online than in their own store, hence planning to get online. But the risk is if the seatbelt doesn't accommodate.
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:46   #3833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i intended the worthiness purely on the basis of ease of use, comfort and value for money compared to other less expensive seats in market as i was comparing it with the model petrol_power had mentioned.
I confess: I did think you might have meant something like that!

Quote:
And believe me, i see first hand more than most here the catastrophe of not investing on safety. Safe driving.
Do you work in a hospital? you must see the results of ignorance and not caring every day. It must be hard to live with, and sometimes heart-breaking, especially when the victims are young children.
Old 9th May 2016, 00:35   #3834
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the information. Chicco nextfit, it is a beautiful seat, but very expensive. Great. Are you able to fix your seat in the rear facing manner in your Polo? I guess Elleta and nextfit are of same size. I can see that Elleta sells almost 4k rs lower in online than in their own store, hence planning to get online. But the risk is if the seatbelt doesn't accommodate.
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes the chicco nextfit fits fine in my polo with the seat belt. Though it has a different routing mechanism for the seat belt compared to eletta, it should not be an issue with eletta either i feel. Hope this helps.
Old 9th May 2016, 15:30   #3835
BHPian

Need a help from existing owners. Can extended warranty be bought before end of initial 2 years. Does warranty remain even after change of ownership?
Old 9th May 2016, 15:36   #3836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Can extended warranty be bought before end of initial 2 years.
Yes, but the cost increases as you delay purchasing. Its always better to have Extended Warranty especially with German cars.

More info and pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Does warranty remain even after change of ownership?
Yes.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 15:39   #3837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Yes, but the cost increases as you delay purchasing. Its always better to have Extended Warranty especially with German cars.

More info and pricing.

Yes.
Bingo! You gave exactly what i was looking for

Thanks

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 9th May 2016 at 15:41.
Old 9th May 2016, 18:23   #3838
BHPian

Guys i came across an pre owned car deal. Its embassy used VW polo gt tsi 1.2( UK model). What all goes into buying such car and registering it here in India. How different are these from India manufactured GTs. Will i be able to use same spares as available for Indian GTs.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 9th May 2016 at 18:34.
Old 14th May 2016, 23:25   #3839
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the GT TSi today and here are my observations:
+ Pretty well loaded for a small hatchback - lots of kit
+ The engine is extremely free revving and has grunt when pushed. Reaches 3 digit speeds quickly for a small not so expensive hatchback.
+ Nice quality inside out for a 11 lac car. Not much of el cheapo stuff
+ I liked the adjustability of the seat and steering - nice at the price point
+ Gearbox works really well in sport mode. More on this later
+ Upshifts are imperceptible while downshifts are a bit jerky. However it's not too bad - the Getrag 6DCT450 in my Volvo jerks more on downshifts.
+ Nice small steering wheel with high quality leather. Very direct and tracks well
+ AC cooled well for a hot day in Bangalore
+ Rain sensing wipers worked well when it rained. Auto adjusts speed based on amount of rain. Sweet!
+ No lack of boot space - 295 liter boot

Now for things I didn't like. Polo GT owners no offense but this is what my perspective is compared to my other ride - a V40 T4. I know it's not a fair comparison but still I will do it anyways
- Gearbox goes into some sort of economy fuel saving mode in D when throttle is not pinned to the floor. Also it auto shifts beyond 2000 rpm with medium effort on the throttle. Makes the car feel underpowered and lethargic even though it's not.
- The solution to the above is to push the lever to the left and use the tiptronic function. Why not offer paddles? Would be so much easier with them.
- In S mode the gearbox shifts at 3000 rpm with medium pedal effort. To shift at redline, you need to floor the throttle. This is odd. In S I would want to hold gears till redline
- Whether in tiptronic or in S, the car auto shifts the moment it hits redline, there is no way to hold the gear on a curve. I love this feature in my Volvo's S mode after the Polestar remap.
- All these issues make me feel that the dual clutch in my Volvo is in a different league compared to this gearbox. It's much quicker to downshift, flooring it in D really pushes the car forward and I almost never have to use S unless I am really in spirited mood. In comparison I feel this car needs to be kept in S all the time to get adequate response.
- The throttle position sensor programming needs to be refined for this gearbox to be truly sporty. The way it is now, it feels the car is more tuned towards economy.
- I mentioned earlier that the steering is awesome to hold. However in terms of feel, it is well and truly dead. There is zero information about the road from it.
- Loads of understeer when pushed hard - the suspension is a bit too soft. This is probably done for Indian roads.
- Brake bite and progressiveness could have been better
- No arm rest in an 11 lac rupee car. You gotta be kidding me VW.

In spite of all the drawbacks listed above, I most probably will end up buying one as there is no other option for a nicely appointed reasonably priced city hatchback(AT) in India.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 14th May 2016 at 23:50.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 11:36   #3840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Now for things I didn't like. Polo GT owners no offense but this is what my perspective is compared to my other ride - a V40 T4. I know it's not a fair comparison but still I will do it anyways...
Totally agree with the drawbacks! IMO, these drawbacks make the Polo GT TSi the car modded by the most in the forum.

Though the GT TSi comes with a great engine + gearbox combo, there are so many weaknesses which provide scope for lots of modifications and upgrades.

Here are some weaknesses and the relative upgrades.

Lethargic downshifting in D mode - Steering upgrade with paddle shifts
Body roll - Suspension upgrade - Bistein B6, B14 or coilovers
Weak brakes - Brake upgrade to Brembos, VW performance pads, Brembo discs, D2 6 pot brakes etc.
Super light steering - Tire upgrade to wider 205 sections. This adds a little bit weight to the steering and also improves traction.
Poor lights - Headlight upgrade to Xenons. If you plan to push the car in the night, powerful lights are a must

Add to the above list a remap, and the GT transforms really to a hot hatch.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks