Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2017, 23:55   #4366
BHPian

I drive a i10 and Polo GT. Took me 5 mins to adjust after buying the Polo.
I can switch from Polo to i10 with no problem with turn indicators.
Flashing lights or just switching on lights takes a bit of an effort and 'thinking'. Its not second nature for me.
I do agree that Europeans and american companies are just cheapsters and have the wrong setup in our market just to save cost

Last edited by freedom : 14th February 2017 at 23:58.
Old 15th February 2017, 02:23   #4367
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Nothing to do with cheap. All European and American cars have the stalks reversed compared to Japanese cars.
Quoting a wikipedia page "Europe generally drives on the right hand side apart from the United Kingdom, Ireland"

So the US and almost all European countries, save the UK and Ireland have left hand drive vehicles and in those the setup with the indicator on the left makes sense as its on the opposite side of the gear shift (agreed if its an automatic transmission, this doesnt matter much).

To me placing the indicator on the opposite side of the gear shift makes more sense ergonomically and i guess that has been the intent of manufacturers all along ( I may be wrong), but i still feel its penny pinching by manufacturers in India who want to spend as less as possible to get best profit margins.

Case in point being some of those cars that came out with the console in the center, which they could use without change, in a left or right hand drive vehicle.

If Chevy can change for the indian market with the cruze and the beat having the indicator stalk on the right, wonder why VW or Skoda cant?

Having some sort of national standard makes sense, no?

For me switching from the Civic to the GT and back and forth has been seamless in terms of moving from a manual to auto/dsg/tiptronic

But i still mess up with the indicators and the wiper at times.
Old 15th February 2017, 02:34   #4368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Having some sort of national standard makes sense, no?
In principle, yes. But hey, shall we start on the numerous, manufacturer-specific positions, and methods of engaging, reverse gear? Because once we call for standardisation, it can easily become a minefield.

The wiper/indicator thing does not confuse me. It is just that I sometimes get it wrong! And then I get this sort-of-dyslexic thing where I get it wrong when driving backwards.

...and beyond the help of standards anyway!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 03:19   #4369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But hey, shall we start on the numerous, manufacturer-specific positions, and methods of engaging, reverse gear? Because once we call for standardisation, it can easily become a minefield.
I, for one, would love some sort of standardization, stalk on left or right doesnt matter, but would make sense for all manufacturers to follow some universal specification for a country?

One may be used to a particular way of engaging a gear or signalling a turn, but its easy to unlearn and follow one universal way, but thats a pipe dream.. so lets agree to disagree and leave it at that.. coz our little discussion here is hardly going to influence manufacturing decisions
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 14:38   #4370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish13 View Post
Have driven 45k on my polo gt tsi. I have been experiencing jerks on gears D4, D5 and D6 when I slowly accelerate. They stop as I press the pedal completely.
Sent the car for the service and complained the same. They checked and found nothing but upgraded the software for the dsg as I was told.
The car felt fine for a few hours, but I am facing the same issue again.
Has anyone experienced the same? Any help what it could be?
Thanks
You are not alone, I am getting there
Mine has done 34k in 3 years and it shudders when I slowly accelerate after a speed-breaker (it's mostly in D2 in such situations). Complained about it during 3rd service, they upgraded the DSG software and also cleaned the fuel filter (showed me the black discharge from it), recommended I switch to good petrol and sold me a fuel additive. I am yet to refuel and use the additive, so can't comment on that. But all the DSG update and fuel filter change did was it changed the way the problem manifests! Now it does not always shudder after a speed-breaker (sometimes it does, sometimes it does not) but shudders when taking U turns (part throttle during the turn as well as while accelerating out after the U), it now also shudders in D3 sometimes which was not seen before the upgrade. Reading your post, I have feeling that as I put more kilometers on it, it will start shuddering in every gear while accelerating slowly!

I have lodged a complaint and they have asked me to drive it for 15 days and then bring it in.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 15th February 2017 at 14:43.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 15:06   #4371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Mine has done 34k in 3 years and it shudders when I slowly accelerate after a speed-breaker (it's mostly in D2 in such situations). Complained about it during 3rd service, they upgraded the DSG software and also cleaned the fuel filter (showed me the black discharge from it), recommended I switch to good petrol and sold me a fuel additive. I am yet to refuel and use the additive, so can't comment on that. But all the DSG update and fuel filter change did was it changed the way the problem manifests! Now it does not always shudder after a speed-breaker (sometimes it does, sometimes it does not) but shudders when taking U turns (part throttle during the turn as well as while accelerating out after the U), it now also shudders in D3 sometimes which was not seen before the upgrade. Reading your post, I have feeling that as I put more kilometers on it, it will start shuddering in every gear while accelerating slowly!

I have lodged a complaint and they have asked me to drive it for 15 days and then bring it in.
Simple Vcds adaptation and/or battery reset procedure will do the job for most of us.
The dsg is a very stable unit but the mecha needs to be reset every other week to get the best out of the gearbox. To blame are our traffic conditions and erratic driving patterns. Try these procedures first before going to the service centre and running more risk of ruining stuff.
Old 15th February 2017, 16:16   #4372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Simple Vcds adaptation and/or battery reset procedure will do the job for most of us.
The dsg is a very stable unit but the mecha needs to be reset every other week to get the best out of the gearbox. To blame are our traffic conditions and erratic driving patterns. Try these procedures first before going to the service centre and running more risk of ruining stuff.
VCDS adaptation, battery reset - all tried at the service center. All these are "DSG superstitions" IMO. I never faced this shuddering even once in first 1.5 years and ~15000km (regardless of quality of fuel. No battery reset required in those 15000km either). Then it slowly set in and got worse as ODO kept mounting. This is clearly a DSG fault. A 2004 Honda Accord AT in the family is running smoothly for 12 years, no shuddering! Same traffic conditions!!

How many km has your DSG done?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 15th February 2017 at 16:17.
Old 15th February 2017, 16:18   #4373
BHPian

Quote:
Reading your post, I have feeling that as I put more kilometers on it, it will start shuddering in every gear while accelerating slowly!

Did they check your engine mounts? A worn engine mount also causes shuddering especially when your car is in 1st or 2nd gear
Old 15th February 2017, 16:25   #4374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did they check your engine mounts? A worn engine mount also causes shuddering especially when your car is in 1st or 2nd gear
Engine mounts? At 34000km? Why would they go so early? My other car did 146000km on OEM mounts. And I think there is no shuddering in 'M', I need to do a a good long city drive in 'M' to confirm this, but same speed breakers, same U turns - if I am in 'M' and shift manually, there is no shuddering (I will drive entirely in 'M' for a few days and confirm).
Old 15th February 2017, 16:26   #4375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VCDS adaptation, battery reset - all tried at the service center. All these are "DSG superstitions" IMO. I never faced this shuddering even once in first 1.5 years and ~15000km (regardless of quality of fuel. No battery reset required in those 15000km either). Then it slowly set in and got worse as ODO kept mounting. This is clearly a DSG fault. A 2004 Honda Accord AT in the family is running smoothly for 12 years, no shuddering! Same traffic conditions!!

How many km has your DSG done?
25000 but I'm now running a dsg remap so I wouldn't be a reference point for you. My dsg still needs to be reset every week.
Old 15th February 2017, 16:34   #4376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
25000 but I'm now running a dsg remap so I wouldn't be a reference point for you. My dsg still needs to be reset every week.
Frank, how do you do a DSG reset via VCDS?

I have tried the method that ive seen touted on some forums where you turn the ignition on but dont crank the engine and press down the accelerator pedal and hold it pressed for 30 seconds and then crank the engine.

Does this work? I feel it does at times, but it may be a placebo effect. VCDS would be the foolproof way to go.

And on a side note, your TMPS system which tire shop did you get the sensors fitted from?

Thanks.
Old 15th February 2017, 16:51   #4377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Frank, how do you do a DSG reset via VCDS?

I have tried the method that ive seen touted on some forums where you turn the ignition on but dont crank the engine and press down the accelerator pedal and hold it pressed for 30 seconds and then crank the engine.

Does this work? I feel it does at times, but it may be a placebo effect. VCDS would be the foolproof way to go.

And on a side note, your TMPS system which tire shop did you get the sensors fitted from?

Thanks.

I may be wrong, but doing a 'CLEAR CODES' after an autoscan does a dsg reset.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 17:11   #4378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mine has done 34k in 3 years and it shudders when I slowly accelerate after a speed-breaker (it's mostly in D2 in such situations). Complained about it during 3rd service, they upgraded the DSG software and also cleaned the fuel filter (showed me the black discharge from it), recommended I switch to good petrol and sold me a fuel additive.

Have almost the exact issue. 33K- 3 year run Vento TSI . Mildly shudders in D2 when you accelerate from a speed-breaker or similar situation. Only difference is that it does not happen all the time, sometimes comes up, mostly not. Have not experienced it in S or M mode. Have not tried a reset. Planning to do that.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 12:21   #4379
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

So the US and almost all European countries, save the UK and Ireland have left hand drive vehicles and in those the setup with the indicator on the left makes sense as its on the opposite side of the gear shift (agreed if its an automatic transmission, this doesnt matter much).

To me placing the indicator on the opposite side of the gear shift makes more sense ergonomically and i guess that has been the intent of manufacturers all along ( I may be wrong), but i still feel its penny pinching by manufacturers in India who want to spend as less as possible to get best profit margins.

*SNIP*

If Chevy can change for the indian market with the cruze and the beat having the indicator stalk on the right, wonder why VW or Skoda can't?*SNIP*
OK, considering that VW also sells cars in the UK and Australia, what is the orientation of the stalks on those cars? Anyone know for sure?

If they reorient the stalks for these countries and do not do so for India, I can go with the argument of set-child treatment for India. If those countries too face similar issues to India, then I do not see an argument.

Cheers
Old 16th February 2017, 13:00   #4380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
OK, considering that VW also sells cars in the UK and Australia, what is the orientation of the stalks on those cars? Anyone know for sure?

If they reorient the stalks for these countries and do not do so for India, I can go with the argument of set-child treatment for India. If those countries too face similar issues to India, then I do not see an argument.

Cheers
It is the same as India as can be seen in the pictures in this review

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/polo

The highline there does get a nicer cluster though and also cruise control on the steering wheel and not the stalks.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 16th February 2017 at 13:02.
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed