Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2017, 02:50   #4396
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Car feels much more light on 93/97 than 91. It does make a bit more power as the recommended Ron is 95. Now if it's worth the extra 17 rupees is upto the buyer
To be honest, speed made the engine feel a little smoother, speed and speed 97 felt almost the same.. again im not a petrolhead.. so not making a judgement call

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Try it for a few tankfuls. Only then will you notice the changes.
Tried it on and off alternating between normal 91, speed and speed 97. At times it feels like it makes a difference, but then again it may be placebo, as i dont have any tech proof to back it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The vehicle needs to have an engine capable of utilising the extra octanes from the higher rating fuel, the 1.2 is too small an engine to show any marked improvement.
Fill 97 RON in an Octavia equipped with the 1.8Tsi and see the World whizz by at alarming rates.
Wanted to trade my Civic for the Octy 1.8 Tsi.. but no dealer managed to get me a test drive in Mumbai. again this was 3 years ago.. don't know if that's changed.. but have you done any tests to see how much it boosts the bhp..if it does..I've seen a lot of people doing remaps and enhancements always talking about 97 octane as part of the enhancement, so I'm sure it would add to the enhancement, only not sure if the enhancement works on stock setups, or the remap is the catalyst that make the 97 work better
Old 25th February 2017, 18:46   #4397
Senior - BHPian

Based on personal driving experience on a dealers brand new 1.8 Tsi last September/October. The test drive vehicle was driven on normal fuel for about 15+ kms before a fill up with 93RON and post that for another 30 odd kms. The car was a different animal with the richer diet. Did not rev the vehicle unnecessarily but even at sane speeds the behaviour was noticeably different from earlier. In my naturally aspirated (2.0 litre mill) Cedia too the change in engine behaviour is noticeable and it was definitely more pronounced in the TSi engine. In my Swift zxi with its' pre K series 1.3ltr. petrol engine there is hardly any perceptible change in acceleration timings except that the engine response is markedly linear especially when picking up from low speeds in higher gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Wanted to trade my Civic for the Octy 1.8 Tsi.. but no dealer managed to get me a test drive in Mumbai. again this was 3 years ago.. don't know if that's changed.. but have you done any tests to see how much it boosts the bhp..if it does..I've seen a lot of people doing remaps and enhancements always talking about 97 octane as part of the enhancement, so I'm sure it would add to the enhancement, only not sure if the enhancement works on stock setups, or the remap is the catalyst that make the 97 work better

Last edited by khoj : 25th February 2017 at 18:48.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 19:50   #4398
BHPian

I want to share a piece of information that I find a bit strange.

I booked a GT TSi on 7 February. Today I got a call from my SE that the car had arrived last night.

The car arrived at the showroom after their inspection at the service centre around 6 PM, and we had a casual look at the car. Of course the car came with the new Portago alloys (16") and 195/55/R16 tyres. I was disappointed to find that the tyres were Goodyear Assurance. However, the biggest disappointment was the spare tyre (on a steel rim) which had a 175/70/R14 size.

If you do the calculation, you'd find that the spare tyre radius is shorter by 35mm, that is nearly an inch and a half. I double checked the spec on the spare, and also checked with another new GT TSi that also arrived at the showroom at the same time. The other car's spare also had the exact same size of 175/70/R14.

Do you people think, this is acceptable? I tend not to think so.
Old 27th February 2017, 20:02   #4399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
The car arrived at the showroom after their inspection at the service centre around 6 PM, and we had a casual look at the car. Of course the car came with the new Portago alloys (16") and 195/55/R16 tyres.
Sorry for going off topic. Is there any other change in the model, the Polo was seen testing with DRLs & LED Lights. Any info?
Old 27th February 2017, 20:10   #4400
BHPian

A comparison at tyrestore.in shows just 10mm difference in diameter, so just 5mm difference in height. So nothing to worry about
Old 27th February 2017, 20:13   #4401
BHPian

Quote:
Do you people think, this is acceptable? I tend not to think so.
Certainly not, as thats one ugly donut. However safety wise it shouldnt be an issue as the company would have done it research into the tire size
Old 27th February 2017, 20:38   #4402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
A comparison at tyrestore.in shows just 10mm difference in diameter, so just 5mm difference in height. So nothing to worry about
I did a little mistake in my calculation. That 14" or 16" is obviously the diameter, I mistakenly took them as radius. But even after doing the calculation the correct way, there is a difference of 10 mm in radius (20 mm in diameter). This amounts to about 3.4% difference which is always considered as something not recommended for usual tyre upsizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Certainly not, as thats one ugly donut. However safety wise it shouldnt be an issue as the company would have done it research into the tire size
A difference of 10mm (i.e. 1 cm) in GC is appreciable in my opinion, especially if the car is loaded, and one has to drive for longish duration (for example late at night without help around) with spare tyre and on rough road conditions. Doesn't a car have to be road-worthy in the as-sold condition? Or, I am being too picky here?

Last edited by asitkde : 27th February 2017 at 20:47.
Old 27th February 2017, 22:48   #4403
BHPian

I think you are being nit picky. One, a company like VW must have done their calculations. Space saver spare tyres are a norm now. Two, the spare tyre is smaller by 10mm. The suspension will make up for it. If you have changed a tyre you will notice that as you jack up the chassis, the tyre takes a long time to leave the ground because the suspension keeps pushing down the tyre. This is not to say that one must intentionally run unequal tyres.
Old 27th February 2017, 23:30   #4404
BHPian

Quote:
I want to share a piece of information that I find a bit strange.
I took delivery of Polo GT TSI on Saturday. I too was initially tempted to swap my stock tyres (Goodyear Assurance Triplemax) with something like Continental MC5. But having used them I found them to ride well. They are also supposed to have good grip according to online reviews. The only strange thing I noticed was they came with configuration of 195/55/16 87'H' whereas everywhere online I read about configuration of 87 'V'. Not sure if Goodyear had recently refreshed these tyres? Also, the thread plies is made of 1 polyester + 2 steel + 1 polyamide (somewhere I had read that polyamide would indicate good ride quality). By the way initially I was also concerned about the 14' spare tyres but guess they have made up by giving width ratio of 70 so didn't worry too much.
I also drive a FIAT Linea TJet 2016 model with Pirelli Cinturato P7 (205/55/16) tyres. I found the Polo GT TSI ride to be more softer on speed breakers & potholes when compared with the FIAT ride. Not sure if this is due to the tyres or the suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Is there any other change in the model, the Polo was seen testing with DRLs & LED Lights. Any info?
Nope except for the 16' alloy wheels no other changes seen

Last edited by ampere : 28th February 2017 at 00:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 28th February 2017, 00:13   #4405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Sorry for going off topic. Is there any other change in the model, the Polo was seen testing with DRLs & LED Lights. Any info?
Since it became dark this evening, we did not have a detailed look at the car. The dealership is quite nearby, and I'll try to go there again tomorrow. But my SE pointed out that the rear spoiler which was painted black earlier is now red (the colour of the car). I don't think even he took a look inside, because the car came from the service centre to the showroom just minutes before we took a look at it. My first major concern were the tyres.

I must say one thing though. With the 16" alloys and the bigger lower profile tyres, the stance of the car has improved immensely. The side profile of the car now looks even better. The new alloys are good looking in my eyes.

Anyway, I will report back tomorrow after I have a second look if anything else has been added or subtracted in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I think you are being nit picky. One, a company like VW must have done their calculations. Space saver spare tyres are a norm now. Two, the spare tyre is smaller by 10mm. The suspension will make up for it. If you have changed a tyre you will notice that as you jack up the chassis, the tyre takes a long time to leave the ground because the suspension keeps pushing down the tyre. This is not to say that one must intentionally run unequal tyres.
Sure, I have changed quite a few tyres especially in my younger days. What you say is true, but at the same time also a bit worrisome for me: I just want to know how long one can drive with 3 tyres of 195/55/R16 size and one tyre of 175/70/R14 with full load on bad roads before it would have a negative effect on the suspension or something else? I remember there was a similar issue with the spare tyre when I bought my first new car (a Ford) in 1983, but it was such a long time ago, I do not remember any details of how I convinced myself it was okay on that occasion. I am also not sure if this is the right place to discuss such issues.

EDIT: Congratulations subrasri on your first post. Just noticed your post after posting mine, hence editing it. Welcome to the forum. Which colour is yours? Did you notice the colour of the rear spoiler, the thing that my SE pointed out?

Last edited by asitkde : 28th February 2017 at 00:18.
Old 28th February 2017, 01:18   #4406
BHPian

Thanks asitkde. Felt a great sense of accomplishment when I first saw the team bhp membership approval in my mailbox. Was second time lucky. By the way Mine is carbon steel. Not able to recall the spoiler colour. I'll double check tomorrow and confirm.
Old 28th February 2017, 01:54   #4407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just want to know how long one can drive with 3 tyres of 195/55/R16 size and one tyre of 175/70/R14 with full load on bad roads before it would have a negative effect on the suspension or something else?
I think you have to take it easy. Last time I had a puncture I needed a nearby bike shop to inflate the tyre enough that I could get to the tyre shop up the road. I didn't have time to get it traced and fixed, so the guy put the spare on. This is a few years back and I don't remember the sizes, but the tyre guy told me, this is a smaller tyre, take it easy. That was just for city driving.

(When I heard that, I pictured the car acting like a table with one short leg . Of course, that does not happen, and felt fine to me)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 12:55   #4408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrasri View Post
I took delivery of Polo GT TSI on Saturday.

Nope except for the 16' alloy wheels no other changes seen
Congratulations on the new ride! Enjoy and safe motoring
I hope, you don't skip your Linea and use this mean machine on highways/long drives too

Prem.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th February 2017 at 17:49. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability :)
Old 28th February 2017, 13:27   #4409
BHPian

Thanks Prem . If we go on long drives as family definitely it'll be Linea - it has its own charm. But I am eagerly looking forward to take the GT on the highways to check out its fun element.

Sriram
Old 28th February 2017, 23:58   #4410

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
If you can access a Vcds cable and emulate the same while logging, then nothing like it.
That will give you an exact idea.. To do an auto scan before and after the incident will also give you clues as to which sensor has gone kaput.
Also, make sure you don't have any rat bites on any of your wiring harness. Have your car checked for any rodent tell tale signs.

Don't have much knowledge about all of that. Have had some issues because of rat bites earlier too. But they are not to be blamed this time.
So turned out there was some issue with the spark plugs, they were changed and now the car works fine.
Waited for a few days to see if it works fine and got the petes remap done today! Worth it
ashish13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks