Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2018, 21:22   #5101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextertuned View Post
1. Polo normal paddle shifter steering:- 30000 ( no need to replace airbag)
2. Polo GTI steering with airbag:- 60000
Hi, what are the extra features on Polo GTI steering wheel over the Polo normal paddle shifter steering? I was aware only about the GTI steering wheel with paddle shifter and didn't know that a normal steering wheel with paddle shifter option existed!
Old 31st January 2018, 21:39   #5102
BHPian

Re: Need help in getting the GTI steering wheel in my GT TSI in Bangalore

Quote:
You can get it done at Adiga Automotives in Banashankari 3rd Stage.

Got quotes from multiple dealers for the paddles. Listing it out for others:
1. Polo normal paddle shifter steering:- 30000 ( no need to replace airbag)
2. Polo GTI steering with airbag:- 60000
Hey, could you hook me up with the details? And clarifying the difference b/w the Polo steering wheel and the GTI one. I'm possibly looking at some small tweaks after four years of near stock ownership :-)

Off-topic, but I've started driving Bombay-Pune quite regularly (every other weekend). The 4 year old Polo gives me ~17 km/l door to door (148 km) from Bombay to Pune and 19.8 km/l from Pune to Bombay. I was super surprised when I saw these stats on the MID, I wasn't even thinking about fuel economy on the drives, and was just enjoying them. I was even pushing the car on a couple of fun stretches.

The 1.5 year old Vento gives me over 17.5 and 20.5 km/l on the same stretch! I'm so amused by these numbers, I don't know whether to believe it myself!
Old 1st February 2018, 09:26   #5103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
Hi, what are the extra features on Polo GTI steering wheel over the Polo normal paddle shifter steering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Hey, could you hook me up with the details? And clarifying the difference b/w the Polo steering wheel and the GTI one.
I'm adding a couple of pictures of the GTi wheel from my Vento. Please note that mine is a diesel manual transmission car, hence my GTi wheel I have does not come with paddle shifters. However, other than this, all other features on mine are the same compared to the wheels that comes with paddles. The wheel does not really come with any extra features compared to the normal paddle shifter steering (there are wheels which have cruise control buttons also on the wheel, but I believe that they will not work with the Polo 6R that is sold in India)

The GTi wheel looks a lot better, in my opinion, and is chunkier compared to the stock one. I got mine purely for the looks, as I had fallen in love with the wheel ever since seeing Gannu's thread about the DIY swap to the GTi wheel in his GT TDi.

More details on the GTi wheel are available in this DIY thread by Gannu: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...l-upgrade.html
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-gti-wheel-1.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-gti-wheel-2.jpg  

Last edited by VivekCherian : 1st February 2018 at 09:52.
VivekCherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:55   #5104
BHPian

I have a query regarding the sump guard installation to the folks who have retrofitted it on GT TSI. Have you noticed any considerable increase in the engine bay operating temperature post the sump guard installation? I am considering to get one installed and was wondering if it was deliberately removed from the design on Indian GT TSI for optimal performance of components like mechatronics unit or just for cutting down the cost.

Last edited by Turbopetrol : 2nd February 2018 at 08:59.
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:48   #5105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekCherian View Post
I'm adding a couple of pictures of the GTi wheel from my Vento.
I'm really curious to know your opinion. Is it worth 60 grand?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th March 2018 at 07:59. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:08   #5106
BHPian

Quote:
I'm really curious to know your opinion. Is it worth 60 grand?
Well, I personally wouldn't have bought it if it were priced at 60K. I got it from the same seller as moderator Gannu, i.e. Rick of vwrtuning on ebay, and I spent roughly around the same as him (including shipping and customs). My wheel, however, costs lesser than the one for the TSi since it does not come with paddles. Also, I upgraded to the GTi wheel simply because I was bored with my stock wheel . However, for some reason, Rick has been unresponsive for a while now. I tried contacting him again to get another GTi wheel, for a friend of mine who owns a GT TSi, but he is yet to respond to my query.

Last edited by VivekCherian : 2nd February 2018 at 12:19.
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:23   #5107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekCherian View Post
The GTi wheel looks a lot better, in my opinion, and is chunkier compared to the stock one
I guess this model at Vagtune is the non-GTI model with paddle shifters:

http://www.vagtune.in/secure/car-typ...genuine-detail

The overall design looks exactly like the existing steering wheel of my car. Not sure about the button backlit light color (whether red/white) though.
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:34   #5108
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, could you hook me up with the details? And clarifying the difference b/w the Polo steering wheel and the GTI one. I'm possibly looking at some small tweaks after four years of near stock ownership :-)
I came across facebook page of installer name GermanDNA based in Bangalore who too is offering GTI steering at 50k/- and normal steering with paddle shifters at 30k/-

Not sure on the authenticity, but give it a shot
vin_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 08:55   #5109
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
I have a query regarding the sump guard installation to the folks who have retrofitted it on GT TSI. Have you noticed any considerable increase in the engine bay operating temperature post the sump guard installation? I am considering to get one installed and was wondering if it was deliberately removed from the design on Indian GT TSI for optimal performance of components like mechatronics unit or just for cutting down the cost.
A very valid concern, Had enquired from the local VW service centre and they are willing to retofit it--a bit of drilling will need to be done. A request to respond to those who have got it done on their TSI's.
Old 3rd February 2018, 09:42   #5110
BHPian

When I went for 7500km check , the Service Advisor suggested against installing it . Not because of heat issues or anything, but rather just said Not required for general city driving .Will reconsider it at 15000km service based on pros on cons
Old 3rd February 2018, 18:33   #5111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifier View Post
When I went for 7500km check , the Service Advisor suggested against installing it . Not because of heat issues or anything, but rather just said Not required for general city driving .Will reconsider it at 15000km service based on pros on cons
The issue of sump guard has been discussed in some detail on pp.313 of this thread (# 4689 onwards). On enquiring from the ASS they have said that the cost would be around 6k.
Old 6th February 2018, 08:48   #5112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi dextertuned,
Could you please share dealer name, is it Vagtune?
Hey, sorry for the delay in response. Been busy.
Nope. It is an individual from Pune. You can reach him on +91 84120 53484

Quote:
I was aware only about the GTI steering wheel with paddle shifter and didn't know that a normal steering wheel with paddle shifter option existed!
Quote:
And clarifying the difference b/w the Polo steering wheel and the GTI one.
There is the Polo GTI and the Golf GTI steering wheel available. For the Golf GTI steering wheel, you'll need to change the airbag also. It's a better looking wheel and also has the cruise control on the steering itself rather than a separate stalk (as is on the new polo GT TSI).

Cost difference is 30K vs 60K. Mainly due to the airbag cost difference I guess.

Here is a pic of the polo gt tsi steering with paddles:

As you can see, the cruise controls are on a separate stalk. Also fitted are the paddle extensions.

Here is a picture of a Golf GTI steering with paddles:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-160543.jpg

Here, you can see the RES+/RES- button on the steering itself. I feel this steering is a bit smaller than the polo GT wheel.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th February 2018 at 09:18.
dextertuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 09:14   #5113
BHPian

Quote:
...and also has the cruise control on the steering itself rather than a separate stalk (as is on the new polo GT TSI).
Does the new GT TSI in India come with cruise control on steering wheel? If so, I wonder since when it started coming like that.
Old 6th February 2018, 09:57   #5114
BHPian

Quote:
Does the new GT TSI in India come with cruise control on steering wheel? If so, I wonder since when it started coming like that.
I think he meant, the cruise control is on the stalk rather than on the steering wheel.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 11:33   #5115
BHPian

Quote:
I recently got my car serviced at the Rajajinagar service station, and asked for this very thing - a sump guard like they have on the GT TDI. To my surprise, the SA advised against it, categorically saying it's not worth the money. The guard, it seems, is made of hard plastic, contrary to what I thought (a metal plate). I am not entirely sure if it is indeed plastic, but the SA seemed fairly knowledgeable, and I took his word for it. Paying 10k + labour for a plastic plate didn't make a lot of sense to me. So all in all, I dropped the idea of fitting one.
ghatotkatch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed