Old 26th June 2019, 00:11   #6091
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Is the ac on the GT generally weak?

Appreciate a revert from owners.
No, its not weak. I know VW is not particularly known for AC! but it works just fine.

Its actually the best (not by a big margin) when I compare to my owned cars, Optra Magnum, Ertiga (ignore the rear AC!), Ignis, Ritz, City ZX.

Mine is 62k kms and the AC is still good.

Of course, park in the sun in 44C, nothing works then!
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 08:25   #6092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Some has managed to get pictures of the updated Polo and Vento:
https://www.rushlane.com/2019-volksw...-12314700.html

What's suprising is that these cars were spotted in the showroom, which probably means that the launch isn't too far away.

Some key take aways:
1. The car seems to be missing out on DRL's from the Vento highline plus

2. This update will be adding the speed warning

3. While this almost certainly introduce the 1.0 engine, the fate of the GT TSI seems to be unclear at this point.

If anyone could check with their people at VW, that would be great. My dealer is still maintaining that there's no update from VW yet.
You forgot to mention that they'll probably be adding the seatbelt warning as well.

From the outside, except for the bumpers, everything else looks the same from the images. The alloys are covered, not sure about them.
Unsure about the engine for now, but soon enough they will mostly switch to the 1L turbocharged petrol for the GT.

Quote:
I have test driven 3 GT TSI cars, one the test drive car at a VW dealer with 7xxx kms, the two other cars at second hand dealers with 25xxx and 31xxx kms.

All three times I found it distinctly uncomfortable with the ac at the lowest setting and the blower high manually. The VW sales person gave an excuse on a 7xxx kms run car that the ac has not been serviced.

This was during May heat in Mumbai. Is the ac on the GT generally weak?

Appreciate a revert from owners.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
I don't find the AC to be weak at all. I've got the 2019 model, in Lapiz blue and a blackened roof. It takes a few minutes to cool down the cabin, but that's about it. So, on some shorter drives, maybe it might just seem weak.

On one of my tours, I've had my dad turn the blower speed down when it was still ~42C outside.

On many occasions, I've felt that the AC cut off was reached because the cabin temperature had matched the preset temperature.

A few weeks ago in Delhi, the temperatures were soaring high.
When I took this picture, the AC was set at 22.5, and even in auto mode the blower speed was at 2, and was very comfortable on the inside.

Name:  Screenshot 20190626 at 08.19.19.png
Views: 3138
Size:  832.2 KB
(Don't mind the dust on the cluster. This is the right next day after my first service. More on that later)

There is one catch though. As someone did mention, the angle of the front windscreen, and the smaller dashboard results in more direct sunlight, and that hampers the comfort levels a bit. But, for my driving position, the seat is set back enough for the sunlight not to disturb much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My trick: 22.5/auto, all year round. If necessary, reduce the airflow at the vents.
This is exactly what I do too! Works all the time, except when it's slightly cooler outside. Then I need to reduce it to ~20. Otherwise the compressor keeps cutting off and then the temperature inside feels inconsistent.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th June 2019 at 10:25. Reason: Spacing
veyron999 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 16:32   #6093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Just getting nightmares after reading about polo suspension. I ve booked a GT TSI and waiting for its delivery some time in August. It is going to replace my magic carpet, slow but ultra comfortable S cross. The roads in Cochin are pathetic to say the least. I would like to get insight on polo suspension on bad patches of roads around cochin. Any GT owner out there from Cochin, who can help. And I would like to get opinion on D2 racing coilovers and Eibach suspension which Code 6 garage has recommended for the polo to be used in our sort of conditions.
Should I withhold the purchase? Practically spending sleepless nights on this decision.
Hi Sandy

if ride comfort is high on your wish list , you should think twice before getting the GT TSI which is a marvelous car in many respects but is very rough on bad roads at low speeds. If most of your driving is in such conditions, you should stick to a slow and comfortable vehicle that you are used to. But honestly I do not have idea how the proposed modifications will improve the ride quality. You should get a confirmed opinion on that.

But give the baby a clean stretch of road and she will send your blood racing for she is awesome when in her pure elements. Unfortunately such opportunities are few and far in between in the Mumbai city conditions in which I drive.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th July 2019 at 14:11. Reason: Spacing
Dead Head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 19:47   #6094
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just getting nightmares after reading about polo suspension.
Take a long test drive and decide for your own. Its not a bad suspension! Some-things go overboard at times with the auto enthusiast community sometimes, because only the unhappy ones are loud!. Typical example being an electronic power steering, considered negative in first 5 mins of driving by most people.

Take the DSG example, its like a horror story, but how many really have you heard about? - its an issue, but the probability that you will be the victim is less than the risk you take when you drive beyond speed limits! Similarly, the chances that you'll be uncomfortable with the suspension are low! - I'm not discounting people's genuine problems with the suspension, but its not a pervasive feeling.

My two bits, the Polo's suspension is excellent over good roads, rough patches and slightly damaged roads, to me it rides better than (from my owned cars, where I've driven 000s of kms)
- Honda City ZX
- Ritz Vdi
- Ignis (like big time!!)

I also have an Ertiga Zxi which does ride very well and I think apart from handling speed beakers the Polo does everything better than the Ertiga.

And the last one Optra Magnum is very heavy and very soft, so it almost glides over rumble strips, which the Polo doesn't do in its dreams, but so doesn't S-Cross. But Optra drives like a boat!

Polo's suspension will feel to be stiff over sharp edged bumps but otherwise excellent (at least as per me! and my 62k kms with it)

Some have complained that it handles poorly (rather extremely poorly). I'm no expert in handling but I often find myself driving harder than 95% of the other road users and never really had an issue. When I need more speed and handling and the urge to consider public roads my personal racing track, I login to NFS Payback! rather than throwing the Polo GT around at 150+kms/h.

Quote:
I have cancelled the booking due to lack of space at the rear.
And I saw this later, but hopefully others benefit from the the above.

Last edited by SLK : 27th June 2019 at 19:52.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 20:43   #6095
BHPian

Can anyone shed some light on how much a Polo GT spoiler will cost?

My car didn't come with one and I'd love to have it. The spoiler was missing as they launched the GT Sport at the time I purchased the car, so I coaxed the dealer to giving me the arm rest for free!
Old 27th June 2019, 21:07   #6096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
No, its not weak. I know VW is not particularly known for AC! but it works just fine.
Auto AC on VW models is just amazing, unlike the other cars which just blow cool air (at the set temperature).

This feature might not be handy when temperatures soak up to 40+ degrees, so I used to on/off Auto-AC mode for the first few minutes of the travel and then turning on the Auto-AC mode. I never had any issues at all.
mpp19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 21:40   #6097
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Can anyone shed some light on how much a Polo GT spoiler will cost?

My car didn't come with one and I'd love to have it. The spoiler was missing as they launched the GT Sport at the time I purchased the car, so I coaxed the dealer to giving me the arm rest for free!
You could get one on Aliexpress. I would strongly suggest you get the GTI spoiler. It's aesthetically superior to the one that usually comes with the GT, in my opinion. It will set you apart from the crowd as well.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 21:49   #6098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp19 View Post
Auto AC on VW models is just amazing, unlike the other cars which just blow cool air (at the set temperature).
That's because it's Climate Control! It is a big difference compared to cars where you just set the knob somewhere between red and blue.

My favourite method for cooling a sundrenched car is opening the sunroof. Hot air rises, and just wooshes out. Of course, this doesn't work on our Polos, unless we are prepared to do nasty stuff with a tin opener. Next best thing: blow cold air down into the footwell with the windows slightly open. When you're ready, hit the auto switch and forget it.

As to rear-seat room, no, there is not a lot, unless the front-seat passengers have very short legs. Think of it as a car for a couple with occasional additional passengers. That's exactly what mine is, and it does it well.
Old 2nd July 2019, 21:16   #6099
BHPian

Guys,

Does the Polo GT have the feature where if you turn the indicator stalk to left/right, the corresponding pilot light, and tail light-light up when the ignition is off?

I tried it on mine, and when the ignition is off, if I turn the indicator to the left, I hear a beeping sound (same when you leave the light switch on), but the pilot lamp does not come on.

P.S. Tried it on the Octavia, and it works as expected.

On a separate note,

The SVC does not entertain VCDS changes. Have tried Pune, and Delhi SVCs.

Is this the same everywhere?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd July 2019 at 07:51. Reason: Spacing
Old 2nd July 2019, 21:57   #6100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
Guys,
Does the Polo GT have the feature where if you turn the indicator stalk to left/right, the corresponding pilot light, and tail light-light up when the ignition is off?
This feature is not available in the BCMs that come in the stock GTs. This is available in BCM max, and can be enabled by coding. I upgraded to BCM Max when I installed the OEM Bixenons and enabled this feature.

Quote:
On a separate note,
It is the same here as well. The service guys usually don't entertain any VCDS coding.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 00:08   #6101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This feature is not available in the BCMs that come in the stock GTs. This is available in BCM max, and can be enabled by coding. I upgraded to BCM Max when I installed the OEM Bixenons and enabled this feature
I have this feature in my 2012 Rapid which runs a stock BCM.
Old 3rd July 2019, 03:27   #6102
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought I had it. It has been there on other VW carsI have driven. The reason I am not sure is that I have never, ever used it, except by accident!
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:57   #6103
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I tried it on mine, and when the ignition is off, if I turn the indicator to the left, I hear a beeping sound (same when you leave the light switch on), but the pilot lamp does not come on.

P.S. Tried it on the Octavia, and it works as expected.

On a separate note,

The indicator stalk has to be in the full beam position for this. Does work for me. I had the same system in my '06 Octavia.

If you're a regular and friendly with the SA or the technician, they'll do some minor stuff. I found that they're not very well trained, and can't enable a lot of things. The guys let me tinker with the system for a couple of minutes, but the paths and terms are so different from the ones that we use via our VCDS, that it is impossible to do anything quickly.

They did enable the needle sweep on ignition for me though.
Old 3rd July 2019, 17:19   #6104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have test driven 3 GT TSI cars, one the test drive car at a VW dealer with 7xxx kms, the two other cars at second hand dealers with 25xxx and 31xxx kms.

All three times I found it distinctly uncomfortable with the ac at the lowest setting and the blower high manually.
Regular Polo (1.2 MPi) owner here - the AC could be better. The GT has climate control but I believe the compressor is the same? If so, max cooling ability should be the same.

It's hard to objectively compare this because people have different temperature preferences too but I have found my car wanting in this department. Since you tried three cars, it's clearly not a defect - it's just how it is.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 11:43   #6105

Hey guys!

Just picked up a Polo GT TSI in Carbon Steel Grey on 28th June. I've driven a Polo GT TDI from the past 5 years, we wanted an automatic so decided to sell it off and pick up the TSI. The TSI happens to be our first automatic car. Having driven the Polo from past 5 years, did not want to check out any other cars, went ahead with the TSI.

I've driven around 100kms till now. The gear shifts are smooth. Yet to push her in the S mode. Any pointers regarding maintaining the DSG?

The car has come with Seat belt warning for both the driver and the front passenger seat. It keeps beeping every 10 seconds or something after passing 30kmph. The seat belt warning symbol will be on until the seat belts are fastened. Have not noticed whether the symbol flashes after the car passes 30kmph, will observe it this week and update back here. The car's MY is June 2019.

Like the other 2 pictures posted previously, my car also has a gap near the DSG Shifter. I have uploaded the pictures of the same here.
Got the arm rest, sun blinds and dual tone horn fixed at the showroom. Thought of swapping the stock Goodyear tyres to Michelin PS4, but did not go ahead with it, thought I'll use this set and then go for the PS4 during the first change. Other than that, no mods planned as of now. Just ordered a dashcam on Ali Express, will update on the Dashcam thread after i get the dash cam.

Does the TSI need any fuel additives or is anything like that adviced? Thanks in advance.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1070.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1097.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1098.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1099.jpg
Sukhesh Raj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks