Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 23:23   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

A very nice and really crisp review! Sometimes I feel that words fell short to appreciate the real hard work these TD ( and respective reports ) demand. Excellent I must say.

Regarding the Enjoy :

1) An honest effort from Chevy, atleast IMO. The way they have managed to strike the ride and handling combo for this car ( as per report ) shows they did a lot of hard work.

2) The target market might be taxi segment (main order book) but at the same time I have a feeling that the car will not be ignored by a typical middle class man. He gets really nice space, high seating, good ride, expected good FE (Fiat SDE at the end of the day powers this cars ) at a reasonable price, then its certainly a good deal. I believe that this car slots in between Eeco and Ertiga.

3) NVH was one area where Chevy had a stronghold. Aveo is the best example. A very silent cabin with little engine noise entering cabin. Off late, the chevy cars are not having nice sound insulated cabins. A step backward I must say.

4) I am not sure why, but all the cars except Tavera and upto some extent Cruze are not selling well despite being really competent products. Time for chevy to relook where they went wrong.

5) Many parts from China, and this is real reason for worry. Somehow, atleat I dont trust China quality. Not in a car which is a people mover and might be on a deserted highway stretch with a full family. The quality has to be proven. Tavera is trustworthy and tour operators still love it due to FE and overall reliability. I hope Enjoy and enjoy similar reputation.

To sum it up, the car is a real value for money proposition for Indian market IMO.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 00:40   #77
BHPian

Nice review!
I never have understood why Chevrolet guys make the cars so 'Vanilla' in the looks department! Cruze is an exception though. Even Maruti has left those days behind with the Ertiga/Swift etc. I think Enjoy will be another taxi segment operator, or may be Chevy guys have exactly that in mind as that's where Tavera got the cash-flow going for them. To me Ertiga seems to be a much better-rounded package.
Old 10th May 2013, 01:07   #78
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review guys

Incidentally, two weeks back, when i was in China, I chanced upon being chauffeured around in the Chinese version of Chevy Enjoy (Wuling Hongguang). It had a decent ride quality. The top end petrol version was priced around 80000 RMB (7.2 Lakhs Rs.). Kudos to Chevy India to have priced it better in India.

I also read elsewhere (http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2013/...0-sales-again/ - honestly I don't seem to remember where) that the Wuling Hongguang is the highest selling LCV in China.

I hope this latest offering sells well for Chevy India.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 02:11   #79
Senior - BHPian

Noop and Parry thank you for the effort in getting this review up and out to us and as always very informative!

The only thing i am going to disagree on is that this car looks sleeker in this photo , there is something really really ugly and out of place with that back , to me it almost looks like someone accidently placed the rear from another car here , i think a little more curved sloping would have done wonders aesthetically.

Dont know how this is going to do , clearly there is no wow factor in that sense - attractive option for the taxi segment and while GM might have targeted this for the end consumer i don't think they will complain if the commercial segment is where the sales come from , at the end of the day money is money.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review-chevyenjoy18.jpg  

puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 05:23   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
The only thing i am going to disagree on is that this car looks sleeker in this photo , there is something really really ugly and out of place with that back , to me it almost looks like someone accidently placed the rear from another car here , i think a little more curved sloping would have done wonders aesthetically.
+1 to that. At least as per the comparison photo, we feel a bit of curved edges at the back(top & bottom) would have made that look like a car rather than a van that it now looks like due to the boxy rear. Look how nicely Innova has masked the van look (well, to an extent actually; though i always felt that Innova would be a great ambulance for its shape and look.) The rear window glass inbetween c & d pillar is curved at the top but sharp at the bottom whereas the chevy is opposite of that and so aids the boxy look much more.

Quote:
Dont know how this is going to do , clearly there is no wow factor in that sense - attractive option for the taxi segment and while GM might have targeted this for the end consumer i don't think they will complain if the commercial segment is where the sales come from , at the end of the day money is money.
Atleast for the van look and space with better fuel efficiency, its going to be a hit in commercial segment.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:21   #81
BHPian

Design 101 for Chevrolet R&D - Your brand is regarded for the bold design & powerful cars that you make.

When you have a bow-tie corporate front fascia for almost all cars you make, why stick the Chevy logo to Wuling-Shuling grille & dilute the brand identity?

I believe this is how Enjoy should have looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review-njoi.jpg  

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 10th May 2013 at 09:22.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 09:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I believe this is how Enjoy should have looked like.
Is that rendering your own sketching? If so then its really nice and the Chevy facia is very neat indeed.

Totally agree on this, just a lift and shift effort cannot win peoples heart in terms of design. It should have some character. The front currently is just simple and bland and the rear is just cannot be described. It seems to be chopped off or banged from behind
Old 10th May 2013, 09:44   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Is that rendering your own sketching? If so then its really nice and the Chevy facia is very neat indeed.
It's a copy paste of Cruze grille with minor touch-ups in MS Paint.

Yes i definitely think that Chevy bow-tie front end would be more attractive that the kinda "lost & sad" grille present in the Enjoy face.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 10:50   #84
BHPian

Nice review Anoop sir and Parrys. Well detailed and very readable. Is chevy being optimistic with the prices or is it being desperate? It does seem to indicate the latter going by the opinions listed so far.

One complaint with the MPV would definitely be its engine developing 75BHP ala swift.
Did you guys feel it running out of breath once you reached 3 digit speeds(100+)?
Nice to see it going the RWD way though. The engine bay is sorely missing its engine cover/cowl, is this attributed to the longitudinal mounting or is it just a cost saving measure?
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 11:25   #85
BHPian

There is an interview of the MD of GM India up on IAB which shows exactly what these guys think of the Indian market http://indianautosblog.com/2013/05/m...y-launch-75298
A couple of points to note are that a facelifted version of the Enjoy was available but they did not not bring it here because they wanted to get it in India right now.So,like someone mentioned above that it is a half-baked product and GM hurriedly brought it has been proved by the MD himself.
Also,he says their compact SUV,Trax won't come to India because it is a product for the 'developed' markets.
Best of luck GM.
Old 10th May 2013, 11:27   #86
BHPian

Great TD review. Some tricks GM has missed are tuning the diesel engine to a higher tune say 90 bhp ala ertiga and also tune the torque. GM should have spent some quality time in designing the Enjoy MUV instead it looks like a half baked job. I still feel Ertiga is well proportioned and looks neat and does camouflage its UV genes very well. At the end of the day its just not about pricing but the overall ownership experience from buying the car till servicing etc. This space is getting exciting by the day with new entrants and plethora of choices.
sparsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 11:49   #87
BHPian

Any news on whether they plan an Automatic gearbox variant on the Petrol?
Old 10th May 2013, 12:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
Anyone think this can eat into market share of Bolero ? , because of cost factor , at least in semi rural markets.
No chance, cost is not a great factor when it comes to the Bolero, toughness is, the Bolero range is quite spread out in terms of budget. The car like look won't inspire any confidence in existing Mahindra users to even consider this. Mahindra serves a specific usage("Thar is a lifestyle product" marketing junk aside), they have no competition right now and in the foreseeable future in terms of products, reach or reliability. This car is a time filler, a completely senseless choice when the competition does everything better.

The perception of GM's diesels is that they have poor life and reliability, their service reach is not impressive and rural customers can't get a tow truck like city folk.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:52   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
- Introductory ex-showroom, Delhi prices are as follows:

=========================
- Chevrolet says Enjoy is Rs 40,000 to Rs 70,000 cheaper (depending on the trim levels) than its arch rival, the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga.
At these price points, given the kind of space it provides and given the massive Turbo lag the Ertiga has compared to Enjoy's relatively linear power delivery, the Enjoy makes sense for sure. The 'existent' 3 row is actually what saves the day for Enjoy. Ertiga's 3rd row is really unpleasantly cramped, any normal built adult would feel claustrophobic there.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:58   #90
BHPian

Thanks Noopster and Parry for the review.
As said , from rear the vehicle gives a bread box feeling. Looking at the aggressive pricing (along with the finely tuned 1.3 heart) I see a lot of prospective commercial buyers for this vehicle.
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks