Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 10:59   #1591
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Awesome pricing by Ford.
Gonna book the car in a day or two.
I got a query, it would be great if anyone could advice me.

My running is around 50 km per day and I drive the i20 diesel as of now. So which model of the ecosport should I book.
The diesel is most sensible but isn't it underpowered ?
The 1.5L petrol is attractive for the Automatic transmission or is the manual better ?
What about the 1.0 Ecoboost?
Considering the price points and my running can anyone suggest which one to go for ?
Old 27th June 2013, 11:02   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Ford has been very smart in pricing the Ecosport. They have captured everyone's attention with the low starting price of 5.59L and have priced the other variants at a slight premium over the competition (other sub 4m products).

That being said, the basic 1.5L petrol is also decently kitted for an entry level variant unlike say Toyota IIRC, who launched the Etios Liva base without power steering just to get the 3.99 starting price on the headlines.

This segment is going to be ruling the India auto scene for the next few years atleast, with so many OEM's entering this segment soon. This is just the beginning.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:04   #1593
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Responding to a few queries over the last few pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I would respectfully like to disagree. A T-Jet's steering and the Hyundai-like steering of the EcoSport? Incomparable.

The T-Jet is mainly aimed at enthusiasts. The EcoBoost does not come close with the torque and power figures. And the T-Jet's handling and ride quality is at another level.
Agree - But I had clearly mentioned - "Going in for the Engine" . There are of course other parameters even more so those that distinguish a car from a mini SUV.

The EcoSport Steering is definitely light but not really Hyundai like. (We do own a Lifeless Steering Hyundai (which too serves a certain purpose in life) in the nuclear family and can say so for sure.)

Also the Ecoboost does give a decent bit of push down the back when accelerated rapidly a bit like my Laura in fact. Yet if they had brought in a higher cc version it would have been much better appreciated.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:04   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallikarjun View Post
Dealers are trying to rob customers. Just got off the phone with a HYD dealer. He says comprehensive insurance costing ~40K that covers ambulance transport etc is mandatory, 8.5K handling charges are mandatory and accessories worth 25K are mandatory. He says without agreeing to that you cannot book.
Don't worry. Wait for 6-9 months (if you can), and see the change in attitude. They will be coaxing you to buy a car. With Re touching 60/$ and car sales all time low, its just the initial hype that these greedy dealers want to cash in on.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:05   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post

I booked an Automatic in Bangalore last week, the dealer is showing an inability to predict when they can deliver the car. They have not given me a token number either, did you get one?
I have the QCS ID ( booking number from the ERP system linked to ford, I guess), using this can we find out what could be the potential delivery time?
Thanks for letting me know this. I will check mine too with sales guy. The silver streak is, I am repeat customer of Ford and of the same sales guy, hence getting a good treatment and getting up to date information promptly. I will get that ID and ask for a check.

I booked 2 weeks prior to launch with 50k initial payment. I also told the sale guy that You give me the vehicle I am paying outright. I know that's not correct, but I need the automatic only.

Hoping for some miracles to happen with FORD. .
Old 27th June 2013, 11:05   #1596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dealers are trying to rob customers. Just got off the phone with a HYD dealer. He says comprehensive insurance costing ~40K that covers ambulance transport etc is mandatory, 8.5K handling charges are mandatory and accessories worth 25K are mandatory. He says without agreeing to that you cannot book.

This means whatever the benefit customers could get from low price, is swallowed by dealers. This is bad and no different than other systems here where middlemen rob the benefits...

Is there a way to escalate it to Ford's attention?
Ford would be quite well aware of it. It appears that Ford is not giving any margin to the dealers for the Ecosport, telling them to make up their revenue from accessories / servicing, etc. That is how they have got such low ex-showroom pricing.

Then if dealer is not getting any margin on sales, obviously he will force the customer to buy accessories / insurance, etc. from him at high cost. The dealer also has cost of premises, salaries, interest, etc.

Since it is an open market, finally it will boil down to supply vs. demand.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:09   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
I am sure whoever looking forward to book Swift , I20 petrol will now start to think twice..!

i am now thinking of giving my 3 yr Figo Diesel Titanium in exchange for Ecosport diesel, the rear space and built quality is definetly better than Figo

-MUKE
Thanks a lot for confirming this. I was worried about this thing only as lots of people saying rear space is less & difficult to fit 3 adults. I have sat in friends Figo many times & find it ok. If Esport is better than that, then i am happy. Also quality is better, thats a huge bonus
Old 27th June 2013, 11:11   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Linea Tjet buyers going in for the engine again also have an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I would respectfully like to disagree. A T-Jet's steering and the Hyundai-like steering of the EcoSport? Incomparable.

The T-Jet is mainly aimed at enthusiasts. The EcoBoost does not come close with the torque and power figures. And the T-Jet's handling and ride quality is at another level.
I completely agree with Johy here. I have driven both the Ecoboost and T-Jet. Ecoboost is absolutely nowhere close to the performance that T-Jet offers. In fact, had I not driven the T-Jet, still I would had been disappointed with the Ecoboost for the driveability it offers inspite of it being turbo-charged. There is too much of turbo-lag, plus you don't get any turbo-kick when we enter the turbo zone either. No fun In fact, I liked the Diesel's driveability better.
For me, both T-Jet and TSI were absolute revelation and Ecoboost has been total disappointment. Is this the same engine with same tune that has won EOTY for two years? I doubt seriously.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:12   #1599
BHPian

Fello BHPians,

Attached herewith is the Price list from MPL Ford for CHennai. Hope this will be helpful.

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx ECO SPORT CHENNAI (26.06.13).xlsx (15.8 KB, 1275 views)
Old 27th June 2013, 11:16   #1600
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
I got a query, it would be great if anyone could advice me.

My running is around 50 km per day and I drive the i20 diesel as of now. So which model of the ecosport should I book.
The diesel is most sensible but isn't it underpowered ?
The 1.5L petrol is attractive for the Automatic transmission or is the manual better ?
What about the 1.0 Ecoboost?
Considering the price points and my running can anyone suggest which one to go for ?
Diesel will be fine within the city and on the highways (but on the highway the duster 110 is better only if your compare it - but not worth the price differential in my view)
The 1.5 is best as an AT (6 speed DSG) or base model in my view.
Ecoboost too will be fine if one keeps in mind that price difference between engines, the dropping price differential between petrol and diesel and the higher power fun quotient.

Quote:

This means whatever the benefit customers could get from low price, is swallowed by dealers. This is bad and no different than other systems here where middlemen rob the benefits...

Is there a way to escalate it to Ford's attention?
SAD: Keep ranting out here and also go to Ford Facebook pages and mention and engage there as well. Look for another dealer in Hyd. You could go ahead and book now and cancel later if the situation does not improve - the loss will be max of 3K I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I called the Ford India Toll free helpline. The info. I got was that all the booking process will be concerned with the dealer and the customer only. The dealer will decide the allocation to the customer and there is no centralised booking process.
Hope this helps.
SAD - Maybe Ford Means that "Customers we are stretched out and cannot help you. That is the least of our concern. Our dealers have stood by us in bad times and we are making it up to them now."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Can someone give an update on how the ford dealers are managing the bookings? Are they entering the bookings in the Ford's centralised order register and giving Ford provided booking receipt or are they just taking the money and giving the booking amount receipt? Also what about forms like Form 20? Can someone please also elaborate how Ford dealers are conducting the booking process with detailed steps? I'm planning to book one but it would be my First Ford and hence I am not familiar with animals called Ford dealers.
Cheers.
Booking is being done by the Dealers not Ford directly. They will give you a receipt with the details mentioned when you book with a cheque for Rs. 50,000. You need to mention colour and variant when booking. They will only ask for PAN card copy at the time of booking. You will need to mention the address where you plan to register the vehicle. Someone from the dealer may call up the next day to reconfirm the booking and send an SMS (happened in my case.)
Old 27th June 2013, 11:17   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

Thanks a lot for confirming this. I was worried about this thing only as lots of people saying rear space is less & difficult to fit 3 adults. I have sat in friends Figo many times & find it ok. If Esport is better than that, then i am happy. Also quality is better, thats a huge bonus
Sorry to let you down but the rear seat in ecosport is smaller then Figo IMO. Day before yesterday while booking Figo, I drove Figo and ecosport back to back and also checked out the cars thoroughly.

In ecosport you can seat 2 in comfort but anything above 2 will be a squeeze, it's not wide as Figo. In Figo, the 3 can seat comfortably then in ecosport.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 11:23   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
I completely agree with Johy here. I have driven both the Ecoboost and T-Jet. Ecoboost is absolutely nowhere close to the performance that T-Jet offers. In fact, had I not driven the T-Jet, still I would had been disappointed with the Ecoboost for the driveability it offers inspite of it being turbo-charged. There is too much of turbo-lag, plus you don't get any turbo-kick when we enter the turbo zone either. No fun In fact, I liked the Diesel's driveability better.
For me, both T-Jet and TSI were absolute revelation and Ecoboost has been total disappointment. Is this the same engine with same tune that has won EOTY for two years? I doubt seriously.
But doesnt it deliver so much for a 3 pot/1000cc? That counts IMHO.

I expected this to have more space or atleast similar to what Figo has. Already two of my friends are thinking of selling their Figo & Fiesta to buy this. Hope they checked this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post

What you get in Ecosport for additional 70k-1lac caompared to premium hatch/sedan.
1.SUV'ish road presence/GC.
2.Long list of features.
3.Better rear seat comfort.
4.Latest entrant to market and will not get dated soon.

What you lose compared to Duster/Ertiga by spending 1-2 less:
1.Space(mainly in boot).
2.Exterior dimensions.
3.Additional power of duster and additional seats of Ertiga.

According to me the Ecosport perfectly slots between Premium hatch and Duster/Ertiga. If you see the price comparo above, the Ecosport is just in between.
Better rear seat comfort than Duster/Ertiga/Sunny etc? Is there enough space in there?
I even consider Duster too puny when you see it on road from inside Safari and Ecosport too would only give you this placebo feel that you are in a big car. I too was looking at the Duster even though its smaller but its pricing and interior space pulls me back from getting one.

@ ACM, it will help if there enough under thigh support too at the rear. Does it? And can you also comment on the interior quality between Duster/Ecosport/Storme?

Last edited by jkdas : 27th June 2013 at 11:36.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:27   #1603
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Sorry to let you down but the rear seat in ecosport is smaller then Figo IMO. Day before yesterday while booking Figo, I drove Figo and ecosport back to back and also checked out the cars thoroughly.

In ecosport you can seat 2 in comfort but anything above 2 will be a squeeze, it's not wide as Figo. In Figo, the 3 can seat comfortably then in ecosport.
Quote:
In the Eco Sport one seats higher i.e. with the legs handing down like in most SUV's (except the Endy) rather than in front of us as in a sedan. This allows for a certain leeway such that one is ok with the slightly lesser widh for some time - but not for too long though. Yes the Eco Sport is indeed quite comfortable for 2 people in the rear and also provides a lot more leg room effectively even if there is a tall person seated in the front seat. Yet with three abreast the shoulder room can be a bit of a struggle so it is best considered a vehicle for 4 + child rather than 5 adults. Yet compared to a Figo and other even bigger hatchback form factor vehicles the 4 + child will actually travel in a relatively more comfort due the reclining seatback as well as the way the legs hang down in a chair rather than stretch ahead in a sofa.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 11:31   #1604
BHPian

Quote:

Ecosport is Much better than other so called Premium hatch backs. this wont scrape the speed breakers and will handle pot holes on our road due to better ground clearance. Moreover Fords service level also have improved in the past years.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:33   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
But doesnt it deliver so much for a 3 pot/1000cc? That counts IMHO.
But my point is who asked for 3 pot/1000cc? OK, Ford may say we did this to achieve a good balance between power and FE. Power, I would say, atleast I am not impressed. FE, from the reviews of Urban Discoveries Campaign, people have claimed 8-9 kmpl when driven with heavy foot.
I mean what is the point buying a turbo-charged petrol and then driving sedately. Polo GT TSI owners have achieved FE of 12-13 kmpl even with heavy driving.
floyd.bell is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed