Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 14:23   #181
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Rated the review 5-stars that it rightly deserves. The attention to detail is amazing.

On a lighter note, how will the wife react to: "I love you. This text was sent from my Ford"?
Old 27th May 2013, 14:51   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Don't be misled by the tweeter cover on the front doors though (next to the door handle). It's a dummy, we used a torch and saw only orange paint inside.
What an eye for Detail. You guys can surely help our investigative agencies with a tip or two in looking for evidence.

Being a Duster owner, I am enjoying this review even more with the occasional reference to Duster. I am already feeling a bit envious of all the bells and whistles on display.
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 14:54   #183
BHPian

The review is just fantastic. I can only imagine the time and effort spent by Vidyuth and GTO in penning this masterpiece. Just awesome! My thanks to both of you.

BTW, What is a 'light steering'? Is this an enthusiast's term? How does it affect the driving?

I am sure this boot holds 4 peoples luggage for a week's trip. We may have to optimize the space a bit. Also, This is a perfect 4-seater. If you regularly carry 5 people, you may need to look elsewhere. Why would you carry 5 people regularly?!

I think the value proposition of EcoSport is just perfect. This ones a no-brainer for me.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 15:06   #184
Senior - BHPian

A great review of a very good car! Not even 2 complete days after putting the review and this thread is already 13 pages long!! Even though I don't like the front end looks, the car seems to be very good, going by the engine report and other engine details mentioned. Apart from orange and blue, what are the other colours available? And also are there any pictures of the lower variants? Other points of the car and the interiors look great in the car; no cause for any complain.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:10   #185
BHPian

Excellent Review Vid and GTO. Looks like Ford has nailed it with the EcoSport. Great looking car with top notch features. Comparison to i20, though in a different segment, is inevitable. Ford priced the Figo pretty well, I am hoping they would be sensible with this car too.

Come to think of it, Ford is slowly but certainly becoming an important player in the Indian market. First the Figo and now the EcoSport. Ford is making great cars that tick all the boxes for the buyer inthe segment. Way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post

So double lock or no double lock, safe practice should be:
1. Child lock must be always engaged whenever kids are in the rear seat.
2. No kid in front seat unless buckled up appropriately. Which also means no kids on the front, at all.

Now why would you need child lock or double lock on front passenger seat where the person is supposed to buckle up anyway?
Disagree! Buckled up or not buckled up doesn't matter. Kids should never be in the front row even with a child seat. They should always be seated in the rear seat. Airbags deployed in the front seat can choke kids, fatally.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:10   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
Thanks for an in depth review!
Saw a Grey TN -19 registered Ecosport in Powai yesterday evening. The car sure has a road presence! The tail mounted spare wheel looked lovely too.

PS : It was very rashly driven. The driver was tailgating every now and then, sad.
I saw the same EcoSport (TN-19) in Powai and then in Borivali as well. Very rash and in fact in Borivali he cut in front of me - breaking a signal. I know this is, but still.

With respect to expected pricing, I strongly feel that this will be another "Fiesta" type disaster. Ford knows it did not work first time, but looking at the product and the response on forums/media - they know people will pay for it. Moreover, if they don't price it near the new Fiesta, they will cannibalize Fiesta sales, as they will provide almost same features in a more attractive looking product and almost same space / engine (except EcoBoost). Since the product is superior to a hatch (for eg: i20 or polo or swift) and at par in features with a sedan (rapid or fiesta) - I dont think the price will be anything very lower compared to the Fiesta. The top end could easily touch 12L+ OTR.

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 27th May 2013 at 15:37.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:19   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
BTW, What is a 'light steering'? Is this an enthusiast's term? How does it affect the driving?
By light steering, what they/ we mean is that the steering does not provide ample feedback to the driver.

For example, when you want to perform a lane change; in case of hydraulic steering, there would be considerable effort and the driver can 'feel' the wheels being turned. In case of a EPS assisted hydraulic steering, the weight of the steering is slightly reduced but still the driver gets a proper idea of where the wheels are pointing to! In case of a light steering/ dead steering/ Hyundai-esque training, there is virtually no feedback from the steering wheel about the wheels. Almost all Hyundai cars (except I guess Elantra) suffer from this!
This is not to say that light steering is bad, it is very helpful in stop and go city traffic and while parking in tight spots. But, it becomes quite scary as the speed of the vehicle increases (on highway drives). EPS is the future, but the calibration must ensure that the steering wheel weighs up according to the speed of the vehicle to restore confidence in driver. People do get adjusted to light steering at high speed also, only thing you need to be bit extra careful while taking sudden turns. Just my 2 cents!
MotoNanu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 15:26   #188
BHPian

I read few days ago (on TBHP itself)that automobile companies are keeping a tab on online world to understand customers(existing/potential). I am pretty sure that the marketing team at Ford are grinnning ear to ear. After all, look at the buzz this superbly written review has created.

No doubts that the product is good and people are looking forward too. In online world finding a review is not tough but finding a good one is. And TBHP review is one hell of a review.

Look at the frenzy it has created. where will you find so many comments/views on a official review. Comments are pouring in like rains in cherrapunji. Its day 3 & 12 pages already. check the time of comments 1:00 AM, 2AM, 3AM , 4AM you name it. Truly this is one crazy place for auto enthusiasts. Feels good to be a part this fraternity.

Only if ford has revealed the price and opened up booking, sales team would also be grinning ear to ear( Or tearing their hair).

Kudos to the team for such wonderful & comprehensive review.

Last edited by Wireless : 27th May 2013 at 15:26. Reason: By the time I am ready to post thread has become 13 page strong:)
Old 27th May 2013, 15:46   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
By light steering, what they/ we mean is that the steering does not provide ample feedback to the driver.

For example, when you want to perform a lane change; in case of hydraulic steering, there would be considerable effort and the driver can 'feel' the wheels being turned. In case of a EPS assisted hydraulic steering, the weight of the steering is slightly reduced but still the driver gets a proper idea of where the wheels are pointing to! In case of a light steering/ dead steering/ Hyundai-esque training, there is virtually no feedback from the steering wheel about the wheels. Almost all Hyundai cars (except I guess Elantra) suffer from this!
This is not to say that light steering is bad, it is very helpful in stop and go city traffic and while parking in tight spots. But, it becomes quite scary as the speed of the vehicle increases (on highway drives). EPS is the future, but the calibration must ensure that the steering wheel weighs up according to the speed of the vehicle to restore confidence in driver. People do get adjusted to light steering at high speed also, only thing you need to be bit extra careful while taking sudden turns. Just my 2 cents!
Many thanks for your response! I presume I could have Googled it, but it's always better to hear it from a fellow T-BHPian.

I have been driving a Hyundai for the past 13 years (1.25L+ kms), and I never felt the (light) steering was an issue. In fact, I enjoyed the steering behavior at high speeds (by Santro standards), wherein I could course-correct with minimal inputs. Its surprising that many in this thread have elevated the EPS to a deal-breaker status. Guys (and gals), calm down! EPS is fun. Somewhere in the same thread I also read that EPS increases fuel efficiency. Also, over a period of time, you will get used to your car's driving mechanics and its peculiarities.

GTO/Vidyuth: Where is the cruise control on this car? at least on AT? Fiesta AT has cruise control. I hope they have not taken away this feature by trading off with the TipTronic setup. Strange are the ways of Ford.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 27th May 2013 at 15:49.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:53   #190
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb Review - Rated 5 Stars.

1) So if only the 1.5Petrol has the DSG AT then it sure seems to miss a trick.

2) Also why does the 1.5 Petrol AT not have the Titanium (O) varient? So one cannot have 6 Airbags if one buys an AT? (possibly the most expensive varient) (and gets handles in place if it) does it miss out on the side airbags as well as the curtain airbags. ? What else does it miss out on in terms of features. I could pick up the 1.5 AT if does not miss out on any other feature? But it is also got lesser BHP and Torque.

3) Pricing will be key.

4) I think if one likes the EcoSport over the duster and the Luggage Space is the only concern than getting the Roof Rack upfront is the best way go about it.

5) Was not clear about the builtin Screen supporting SatNav? So if one wants SatNav and a Reverse Camear one just gets another addtional unit mounted on the front glass that supports both?

6) They should have managed to get Auto Light and Auto Wiper Feature as well.

7) The front seat width indeed seems to be a concern for those who are wider like me.

8) For the DSG AT - Auto Parking Brake Button (line in all the newer VW AT) would have been a good feature since this is for urban driving and the right leg strain actually increases over a normal geared vehicle for an AT due to the need to keep the brake pressed when the leg is not on the Acc.

9) The Mall guys will indeed take some time to figure out how to open the rear boot door.

10) Superb Alloys and Seats but oh for a center armrest for the back row.

11) Telescopic Steering will make a big difference to finding the right position while driving.

12) Unique way figured out to hold bottles sideways in the door.

13) The interiors do feel too dark and hence smaller than they are.

14) The water wading 550 mm capability of the ecosport vs the Dusters 350 mm does indeed raise questions of the true go anywhere ability of the duster comparatively even though the duster handles rough roads better.

15) Seems easier to enter the EcoSport than the Duster.

16) Rather than AWD, Duster needs to release an AT Diesel - besides a small price correction (back to the launch prices) would be good.

15) Yes indeed is Cruise control present on the AT. - If not it takes away from a good bit of the convenience of an AT on highways drives.

Last edited by ACM : 27th May 2013 at 15:57.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 16:00   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Many thanks for your response! I presume I could have Googled it, but it's always better to hear it from a fellow T-BHPian.

I have been driving a Hyundai for the past 13 years (1.25L+ kms), and I never felt the (light) steering was an issue. ,
As your car is more than a decade old, it must be a hydraulic power steering. My Getz, 2007 model, came with a hydraulic power steering and gives good feedback. The latest Hyundai offerings with electric power steering are bad, test drive a Verna at high speed and you would understand how it spoils the dynamics with no feedback to the driver.
Old 27th May 2013, 16:05   #192
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

This review will prove very usefull for the potential buyers as this time the review is up well before the prices are known and those who book without a test drive could jump in as soon as they know the prices rather than waiting further for TBHP official review.
Old 27th May 2013, 16:12   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
As your car is more than a decade old, it must be a hydraulic power steering. My Getz, 2007 model, came with a hydraulic power steering and gives good feedback. The latest Hyundai offerings with electric power steering are bad, test drive a Verna at high speed and you would understand how it spoils the dynamics with no feedback to the driver.
10+ years on Hyundai is an aggregate time. Mine is an 2006 Santro AT. I have driven different cars (Sonata, Pontiac Grand Am, Ford Fusion) in different parts of the world, and each had their own characteristics which I got used to quickly. I guess the point is: A light steering may be a deal breaker from a purists perspective, but its not even on the radar for an average buyer like me. Thanks for your excellent insights though.

-x-

To ACM:

5) Yes indeed is Cruise control present on the AT. - If not it takes away from a good bit of the convenience of an AT on highways drives.

So, its there or not?
Old 27th May 2013, 16:25   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
I saw the same EcoSport (TN-19) in Powai and then in Borivali as well. Very rash and in fact in Borivali he cut in front of me - breaking a signal. I know this is, but still.

With respect to expected pricing, I strongly feel that this will be another "Fiesta" type disaster. Ford knows it did not work first time, but looking at the product and the response on forums/media - they know people will pay for it. Moreover, if they don't price it near the new Fiesta, they will cannibalize Fiesta sales, as they will provide almost same features in a more attractive looking product and almost same space / engine (except EcoBoost). Since the product is superior to a hatch (for eg: i20 or polo or swift) and at par in features with a sedan (rapid or fiesta) - I dont think the price will be anything very lower compared to the Fiesta. The top end could easily touch 12L+ OTR.
There is a big difference between an SUV, MUV, UV or whatever you want to term them as to sedan. I know of someone who recently picked up a sedan over the mini SUV and his explanation was that sedan gives you an aristocritic feeling compared to SUV which are for other mortals who are not behind creature comforts.
Having said that, most sedan users have at times used a driver and for them back seat comfort is critical. Moreover, the sedans have defined boot space which do not intrude the passenger and does not impact passenger comfort when opened and closed. It is very difficult to perceive, but after having talked to over 100 odd people on sedan vs UV this is what i have gathered. Sedan has a plush feeling to it compared to UVs and that matters a lot
In the end, i do tend to agree that Ford will in all probability make a mess of the pricing. Given that localization is not as high as was talked about and given all the bells and whistles even in the base trims, it is doubtful if they can peg it below 8L. Now compare that to a 5 seater hatch and you can do the math on the sales side.
My take is that the base would be 8L showroom and the top end would be about 11 showroom. This means that in a city like Bangalore you would end up closer to 13 on road.
Old 27th May 2013, 16:35   #195
Senior - BHPian

ECOSPORT is a much awaited review. Thanks Vid and crew. You have done a great job in bringing out the artifacts against what Ford was boasting about its 1L baby cheetah.

What I love in ECOSPORT is
  1. Its charming looks, very futuristic design
  2. Engine & Tranny options to fit everyone's need
  3. Sufficient room for 5 passengers in
  4. Good interiors & feature set
Only thing I disliked is the boot space which looks less for UV kind but then the roof rails as pointed out by vid looks like getting accessorized in future.

I was persuading my uncle to tilt his choice from Duster to ECOSPORT and this is a bible for him (not BHPian). Was little annoyed while reading the Toppled by reviewer thread but it was a real test of safety features!

Most Viewed