Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2013, 16:52   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
In this case, they can't. Without any past sales pattern available, they have to make guesses about what variants would sell more. Arguably, they have gone with the safest option by producing only diesel and Ecoboost variants. Now, looking at the sales/booking trends in the initial months, they would fine tune production so as to meet the current demands.
There is no question of "Incase they can't", they might tweak their production for future based on the bookings but the assembly lines needs to be running as the inventory/ component required for the lines needs to be available on the production floor.

Its a supply chain - production, is well planned ahead for months for smooth operations.
Old 12th July 2013, 17:07   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
There is no question of "Incase they can't", they might tweak their production for future based on the bookings but the assembly lines needs to be running as the inventory/ component required for the lines needs to be available on the production floor.

Its a supply chain - production, is well planned ahead for months for smooth operations.
My bad, but I can't comprehend what you wrote in the first line.

But my point is, to plan you need data. In the case of Ecosport, they didn't have data because there is no past sales data to base their "planning". They might have taken some data from elsewhere. For example, 90% of sales of Duster is diesel. So they might have thought they should produce more diesels.

It is a guess and it might go wrong. That seems to be the case now since only about 60% of Ecosport bookings seems to be for diesel.
Old 12th July 2013, 17:10   #2553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad, but I can't comprehend what you wrote in the first line.

But my point is, to plan you need data. In the case of Ecosport, they didn't have data because there is no past sales data to base their "planning". They might have taken some data from elsewhere. For example, 90% of sales of Duster is diesel. So they might have thought they should produce more diesels.

It is a guess and it might go wrong. That seems to be the case now since only about 60% of Ecosport bookings seems to be for diesel.
They use the market data for same category of vehicles + the pre-launch bookings help in that production planning.
Old 12th July 2013, 17:24   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
They use the market data for same category of vehicles + the pre-launch bookings help in that production planning.
Market data does not point to an accurate prediction. As I quoted the example of Duster in my previous post, 90% of sales is diesel. And pre-launch booking started just 2 weeks before launch. Not enough time to plan. They would have started production even before that.
Old 12th July 2013, 18:07   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I think Ford has been pro active in this recall and hence should be commended rather than reviled.
Shankar, the recall by Ford is a good sign, no doubt and it has to be viewed positively. But there is a downside to it, especially with people like me, who own a Ford. As I have written in the Figo thread, my car has gone through a number of part replacements. Even during the recent 30k service the parts replaced were the power steering pump, the alternator and the rear wheel bearing. I was lucky here because the car is under extended warranty and otherwise, my pocket would have been lighter by 22K. Now, for me, this is a sign that Ford does not do their homework right. How many months they took to put the Ecosport on the road? And in spite of that, after a couple of weeks, they had to make a recall? So basically, what kind of homologation testing they did (not the government mandated ones)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Now that they are on the correction mode, it might be only a few vehicle that they may have to recall as it would be less than even a month of retail sales.
According to the news in Indian Express today, a total of 972 vehicles are being recalled.
A350XWB is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 18:11   #2556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
@ k_ajay: I agree with your perspective but I some what beg to differ on the 'professional detailing center'! I believe that if I were to maintain the original look of my brand new car then I must wax it every 4 months without fail and this should ensure the original finish is maintained. I personally do this to my BMW 520d, Hyundai i20 and now the EcoSport! These detailing centers charge exorbitant prices for a simple polish or wax job. Imagine taking your new car to a detailing center and the guy ends up using a buffing machine on a car just out of the showroom! Most people do not understand the difference between Polish and wax hence I posted this topic!

Another example is that BMW Authorized service center charges Rs. 8000 for polishing a car and I have personally witnessed that they simply use Formula 1 wax and a buffing machine. How ridiculous!
Hi Xuv,

Maybe I should have clarified. When I meant professional detailing centers, I only thought of 3M car care centers, where most places do a great job (my reference point was also my constant experience at a center in B'luru here). But you're right that if you take it to any of the other so called car spas and detailing centers, the end delivery of the said finish may not be certain.

That's why I mentioned professional, since centers like 3M will know how to handle your car. And they don't just charge for putting a simple polish and/or wax, it begins right at washing and claying to laying a sealant and/or wax on your car. Not all cars will require cutting compound, especially when yours will be brand new. I'm positive that they will know. (in any case, allow for a month or 2 before 'any' detailing job on your car as its factory paint might still need curing/chemical gas evaporation time)..

Of course, you will decide as you like. I just shared what I knew with the assumption that you might have not known (which clearly is wrong assumption).

Last edited by k_ajay : 12th July 2013 at 18:12.
Old 12th July 2013, 18:23   #2557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you find us the location? Which dealer? All along we had been told by dealers that the AT production has not yet started.
No idea from where he took delivery. The car was spotted on the outskirts of cochin city.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 18:25   #2558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I think Ford has been pro active in this recall and hence should be commended rather than reviled.
I agree. However good the testing, every market is unique and has its quirks, every user base is different and have their own preferences and biases. Its not always possible to anticipate every use case, more so in complex products like consumer automobiles. And I am sure Ford India does not lack the intent to do a thorough testing.

I would commend them (and every manufacturer) on doing voluntary recall, and free replacements of affected parts in a transparent manner. If I was a customer, this would definitely make me happier.

More power to Ford for the voluntary recall.
Old 12th July 2013, 18:48   #2559
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Nothing is permanent. Nothing can be taken for granted. Regardless of however long a brand may have been present in a market.
I am just saying it is a positive pro-active step that they have taken and hence, this is to be appreciated.
Most manufacturers generally don't bother, especially in price sensitive, non premium, low awareness markets like this one.
Yes, I agree they could have checked more thoroughly, but it just goes to show, that there is always going to be some scope for improvement, regardless of however much of an expert one may be!
Old 12th July 2013, 20:36   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
All you Ecosport fans who are skeptical about the car. Please don't. I am not a fan boy since I own one now. I also have a Dzire which finds 12000 homes per month on an average, but ecosport is miles ahead in all the areas than the favorite pseudo-sedan of India.

Just buy the Ecosport, if you are waiting for a better car than any previously owned car < 15 lacs in India.

There are few things, which can be improved or changed. But that is nitpicking, will share them in my review soon.

Cheers,
A happy Ecosport owner.
I own a Swift & a Punto and am I am on the lookout for an SUV, I've test driven the Duster & The Eco Sport but finally decided that we needed a much bigger (7 seater) car.

Now my impressions of driving the Ecosport are as follows.

Great AC.
Amazing Cabin.
Decent Power.
The SYNC works much better than Blue N Me and other handsfree systems.

But the steering feedback/handling is rather underwhelming compared to the two hatchbacks I own, and the Duster for all its quirks felt the better car to drive of the two.

Take a corner in your Ecosport & Dzire and see if it the ford is the better handler.
Old 12th July 2013, 23:33   #2561
BANNED

I am interested about the seat belt warning system on the EcoSport(I am waiting for one, you see).

Is there an audio alarm, or is it just a Warning light on the Instrument cluster?
Old 12th July 2013, 23:41   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
I own a Swift & a Punto and am I am on the lookout for an SUV, I've test driven the Duster & The Eco Sport but finally decided that we needed a much bigger (7 seater) car.

Now my impressions of driving the Ecosport are as follows.

Great AC.
Amazing Cabin.
Decent Power.
The SYNC works much better than Blue N Me and other handsfree systems.

But the steering feedback/handling is rather underwhelming compared to the two hatchbacks I own, and the Duster for all its quirks felt the better car to drive of the two.

Take a corner in your Ecosport & Dzire and see if it the ford is the better handler.
Impressions are right, my cousin has a punto (i suggested him that). The fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired. Interior panels coming off twice in front of the gear, gear shift and you did not mention about the Music system. It is the best amongst the lot as an OE fitment.

After 4 days and 1455 kms in my new ecosport, i took the dzire to office.

- I got down after 3 turns to look if a tyre is blown, only then realized how hard is Dzire's steering or how light is Ecosport's. But there is a sterring feedback in Ecosport which communicates where the tyres are and what it does unlike Dzire. But i felt the seats to be better in my Dzire than the Ecosport, i am a wee bit on the heavier side close to the ton.

Every part in Ecosport operates with a soft click, which oozes premiumness and it feels 2 notches above the Dzire.

Ecosport is the best handler for its height, in its segment. Please not the duster which feels built for a price. I took 3 test drives and rejected that a few months back. Body roll makes it scary. Feedback from Duster's steering is too much and artificial.

Each man to his own. Handling is not about how heavy the steering feels but it is how the chassis has been engineered. The confidence it gives the driver to push more. Ecosport stands out.

Cheers

Last edited by revv_maniac : 12th July 2013 at 23:50.
revv_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 23:52   #2563
BHPian

The best handler for its height ? May be, but the best handler in its segment (compact SUV) the duster wins hands down.

I agree that people may have different perspectives in mind when choosing a car, I was quite happy with my i20 even thought it was not a drivers car.

But to say that the Ecosport handles better than Dzire (both old and new) is blasphemy, do you know at-least 3 Ecosports have so far been toppled by people going into a turn/curve too fast.

Two happened in my state Kerala (one in Kochi & one in Perumbavoor).

Its a great car, just not the jack of all trades that many make it out to be. I would have gotten it over the Punto had it been available in 2012.
Old 13th July 2013, 00:08   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
The best handler for its height ? May be, but the best handler in its segment (compact SUV) the duster wins hands down.

I agree that people may have different perspectives in mind when choosing a car, I was quite happy with my i20 even thought it was not a drivers car.

But to say that the Ecosport handles better than Dzire (both old and new) is blasphemy, do you know at-least 3 Ecosports have so far been toppled by people going into a turn/curve too fast.

Its a great car, just not the jack of all trades that many make it out to be. I would have gotten it over the Punto had it been available in 2012.
I would agree to every word that you have said. I have always liked my steering to be on a taut side. I drive a getz which is five years old and is giving me nightmares now in terms of maintenance. I think expensive spare parts are to be blamed for that, but anyway I waited so long for ecosport and then I test drove it, i found the car to be nice overall but appealing to the mass market more. I would go to the point of saying it's not an enthusiasts car, just because of the steering. Classic ford stuff is gone. I loved the New fiesta and it's steering even though the petrol engine is nothing to write home about in that one. I was interested in ecoboost, loved the engine and the response but at the end of he day I felt I was driving an i20 on stilts. No offence guys. Please don't bash me up for this. I wanted to upgrade to a car that has a soul and puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it and ecosport isn't the one. So I finally decided on the linea. Although it will take me some time to save for emotion tjet.

Last edited by blurust : 13th July 2013 at 00:11.
Old 13th July 2013, 01:02   #2565
BHPian

Quote:

There has been proof only of the Gujarat incident which according to first hand information was more due to overspreading than taking a curve.
The Kerala incident: let's not even take it for reference as there is no info on it whatsoever.
How are you able to tell it so clearly that the incidents in Kerala happened while taking a curve?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks