Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2013, 16:52   #2776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Incidentally as I was coming back from Delhi railway station yesterday around 10 pm, I saw a silver Ecosport being towed on a flatbed truck near India gate yesterday. For an Ecosport to fail so early could be a sign that in a rush to release it on time they may have skipped some quality aspects.
It may probably be better for all those wanting to buy the Ecosport to wait for a few months by when these issues should get sorted out and the euphoria of the price would have ended.
I think you are being pessimist. There are a number of cars out there running just fine. When the Tesla Roadsters were out people were quoting flatbeds and reports, I remember. Now look were Tesla is! Ford being a behemoth itself won't risk a big market like India by being shoddy. And I don't understand if the vehicle has stood test of time and competition in Brazil ,that has to mean something Right?

As per me be an early bird and enjoy your life
Old 21st July 2013, 17:29   #2777
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Incidentally as I was coming back from Delhi railway station yesterday around 10 pm, I saw a silver Ecosport being towed on a flatbed truck near India gate yesterday. For an Ecosport to fail so early could be a sign that in a rush to release it on time they may have skipped some quality aspects.
Where was the rush? They took ages to launch it.
Anyways I think it is too premature to read into this since there is a single unit involved. Was it perhaps anything to do with the heavy rain and water logging in Delhi?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 19:03   #2778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
The dealer has called me and told me that my Ecosport Trend Diesel is in their yard. I am going to inspect the car tomorrow and give the documents for registration as well. I am hoping to take delivery by Friday

About the insurance, I am taking my own insurance and need some guidance from those who have done this Which is the best plan and what all should I look at? Thanks in advance for any help
I have tried various insurance comapanies like ICICI Lombard, TATA AIG and Bajaj Allianz. I have found ICICI Lombard to be the most proactive followed by TATA AIG. Irrespective of which insurance company you choose, go for a Zero Dep Plan. In India most of the damage is to the plastic and glass parts ( Bumpers, Door mounted rear view mirrors, Lights) and you get 100 % coverage for these.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 21st July 2013 at 19:05.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 19:59   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
The dealer has called me and told me that my Ecosport Trend Diesel is in their yard. I am going to inspect the car tomorrow and give the documents for registration as well. I am hoping to take delivery by Friday

About the insurance, I am taking my own insurance and need some guidance from those who have done this Which is the best plan and what all should I look at? Thanks in advance for any help
I went to the yard couple of days ago to check the vehicle. I am promised delivery on Wednesday. Unfortunately I have other commitments on Wednesday at work. So I will take delivery most likely on Thursday unless he is ready to deliver it on Tuesday.

I got a zero dep insurance from HDFC Ergo for 21500 for diesel titanium.
zteg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 20:53   #2780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
I think you are being pessimist. There are a number of cars out there running just fine. When the Tesla Roadsters were out people were quoting flatbeds and reports, I remember. Now look were Tesla is! Ford being a behemoth itself won't risk a big market like India by being shoddy. And I don't understand if the vehicle has stood test of time and competition in Brazil ,that has to mean something Right?

As per me be an early bird and enjoy your life
One cannot simply make a 1.2 tonne car (civic territory) and price it at 5.59L. Ford has pulled out a pricing coup, and they could not have done it if they didn't cut a few corners. I do feel that they have compromised on quality.

They might not have taken it to the levels to which Maruti's engineers do*, but there has been a lot of quality sacrifices. I just hope that all the safety aspects are intact.

* I feel that is all that Maruti's R&D does, de-engineer Suzuki cars.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:11   #2781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
One cannot simply make a 1.2 tonne car (civic territory) and price it at 5.59L. Ford has pulled out a pricing coup, and they could not have done it if they didn't cut a few corners. I do feel that they have compromised on quality.
I'm sorry, but why can't they do that? Let me give you a few examples.
1. Quanto
2. Ertiga
3. Punto
4. i20
5. Polo
6. Jazz

All these and many more weigh more than a tonne and cost ~5.5-6.5L (base models). By no means would you say that the quality of the i20 or the polo has been compromised, would you?

All I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong with the Ecosport. Take the Duster for example, it is more expensive than the Ecosport, but still the interior quality is miles behind the Ford.

Last edited by DeKay : 21st July 2013 at 21:14.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:14   #2782
BANNED

Quote:

They might not have taken it to the levels to which Maruti's engineers do*, but there has been a lot of quality sacrifices. I just hope that all the safety aspects are intact.

Agree to that view. With all the R & D cost in the ecoboost engine, the vehicle itself, selling it for 5.49 Ex-SHWRM is a steal indeed (OK, the ecoboost does not come at this price). I guess Ford have learnt a lesson from their tall Fiesta pricing and most customers going to see the Eco Sport are also being shown the Fiesta - now avl with almost 2L in discounts. Eat your words, Ford, this is a buyer's market now.

Naturally, Ford must have cut corners, like Toyota did with the Etios family and Honda with the Amaze. I guess it's best to wait for the product to stabilize itself and the issues are sorted out, by when the prices would also have aligned themselves. This seems to be a similar approach to the XUV, it also came with a bang, had problems as usual (hurry to launch and recover costs without proper testing). With the US $ at Rs 60 now, wonder how long Ford will stick to these prices ?

Yes, Maruti R&D is terrible indeed, with no aesthetic sense whatsoever. The Swift DZire is a classic example. Look at the new Wagon R bonnet fringe near the join with the fender (both LHS & RHS), the uneven gaps speak for the design and work quality in the dies used.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 21:22   #2783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
1. Quanto
2. Ertiga
3. Punto
4. i20
5. Polo
6. Jazz

All these and many more weigh more than a tonne and cost ~5.5-6.5L (base models). By no means would you say that the quality of the i20 or the polo has been compromised, would you?

All I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong with the Ecosport. Take the Duster for example, it is more expensive than the Ecosport, but still the interior quality is miles behind the Ford.
Apart from the Polo, i20 and Jazz the other cars in the list cannot be stated in a sentence that also happens to have the word "quality". And Polo, i20 and Jazz are not exactly cheap, either.

And the fact that other car from Ford that shares the same platform as the Ecosport, is more expensive by several lakhs, is a strong indicator of cost cutting in Ecosport, isn't it? Localization is just a fancy word that masks the ugly truth.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:27   #2784
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the Polo, i20 and Jazz the other cars in the list cannot be stated in a sentence that also happens to have the word "quality". And Polo, i20 and Jazz are not exactly cheap, either.

And the fact that other car from Ford that shares the same platform as the Ecosport, is more expensive by several lakhs, is a strong indicator of cost cutting in Ecosport, isn't it? Localization is just a fancy word that masks the ugly truth.
First of all you can't say that the Ertiga or the Punto for that matter doesn't have decent quality. Ask any owner on this forum and they will divulge.

Second,the fiesta is overpriced, we all know it. Right now, they are selling it at a discount of almost 2Lakhs and still making a profit. And yes, the polo, i20 and Jazz aren't cheap, but that wasn't my point. I was just trying to say that a car CAN weigh more than a tonne and cost 5.59 lakhs. There is nothing wrong with that.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:44   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Quanto
2. Ertiga
3. Punto
4. i20
5. Polo
6. Jazz

i20? You will see many posts dedicated to steering rattle issues. I would not rate i20 a quality car.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:50   #2786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
i20? You will see many posts dedicated to steering rattle issues. I would not rate i20 a quality car.
Just because a car rattles, you'd say it isn't a quality car? Even an Audi, BMW or a Lambo rattles.
I personally have been driven in BMWs and Audis that rattle. The steering rattle issue was an unforeseen manufacturing flaw, which has been sorted out now.

PS - We're going OT now. Let's end this here.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:58   #2787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just because a car rattles, you'd say it isn't a quality car? Even an Audi, BMW or a Lambo rattles.
I personally have been driven in BMWs and Audis that rattle. The steering rattle issue was an unforeseen manufacturing flaw, which has been sorted out now.

PS - We're going OT now. Let's end this here.
I haven't heard of a Audi, BMW, Lambo rattling. But i20 steering rattles are well chronicled. You may search and see. If you consider it nothing then it is your wish. Consider whatever you want to consider it. But I would not consider it a good car. It is my opnion. Are you trying to force me to like i20 or say good things about i20? Sorry. I would not. Surprising how you find it a minor issue. It can be hazardous.
Old 21st July 2013, 22:24   #2788
BHPian

Quote:

Dear fellow auto enthusiast ,
let me make two things clear
1. Car makers don't price their car as per the weight !
2. Ford is not a Chinese company

Each car is tailor made to the market requirement and is packaged with features to fit the prices.
The basic components of the car is kept the same. Its the features (including safety!!!) that push the vehicle variants into different price segments.

Ford have invested about $2 Billion in India and have not been able to recoup their investment even after 16 years. So I don't think they will be short sighted and cut corners and compromise on quality. For they are here on long run and EcoSport is the beginning and is a Make or Break for them! So I don't thing they will be short sighted like Chinese sellers and sell low quality products at low prices!

Quote:
1. Quanto
2. Ertiga
3. Punto
4. i20
5. Polo
6. Jazz

Add to that some what understated looks...Looks too budgety!
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 23:20   #2789
BHPian

Well, I did try to see how far I can stretch that one drop of diesel.
Here's how it fared
Filled the tank to the brim( I know it is not advisable).
Drove for 144.9 km with just one stop
Speed between 60-70km /hour -most of the times in 5th gear
a/c switched off 90% of the time ( it was ok since it was early in the morning with very little traffic)
Filled the tank to the brim again
See what i got in return - a whooping 36 km / ltr !!

PS : the journey was quite boring - with any Tom, Dick and Harry overtaking you.

Mod Note: Post edited for grammar. Please ensure that your posts are properly formatted, e.g. use capital letters at the start of every sentence. Refer our posting guidelines for details.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-es-1.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130716_080214-2.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130716_080053-3.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130716_080032-4.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd July 2013 at 10:55. Reason: Tags fixed. Thanks
jojoinassi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 23:24   #2790
BHPian

Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Sorry my earlier post got truncated, my stupidity to hit the submit button too early. I have booked the Ecosport Titanium 1.5 Diesel on 13th July at Lethangi ford, Bangalore and the SA told me a couple days later that my booking No is 502 ? He also said already 120 of them have been dispatched and this means that my waiting number now is 382. Should I believe this ? Is there any other waiting list number that I should be getting ? Those who have booked at Lethangi, can you please advice ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks