Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:27   #3151
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Just got a news from my brother in law's friend. His car got toppled in one of the best roads in Kerala. That too the road was built by a Malaysian builder. I have driven on it and it's one of the best roads for sure. I don't know how he could topple the ES. The funny thing is yesterday another car also got toppled. That counts to two.

Should it be a reason to worry? I have booked one. That too that particular road does not have any sharp bends. Toppling issues were dead for a while and now this, it's indeed worrying for me
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:06   #3152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesujay View Post
Just got a news from my brother in law's friend. His car got toppled in one of the best roads in Kerala. That too the road was built by a Malaysian builder. I have driven on it and it's one of the best roads for sure. I don't know how he could topple the ES. The funny thing is yesterday another car also got toppled. That counts to two.
M.C road? But I have to admit that many an SUV will topple on the M.C road as that is one road where one tests the top speed of their cars. Speed combined with an emergency maneuver can topple it. Can you get more info from your brother' friend on what conditions were he driving on, rain, speed etc.

I have heard another toppling long back at Idukki, but then I didn't want to mention here without first hand information. So, relatively speaking, the Ecosport is toppling more than others?

Last edited by thoma : 3rd August 2013 at 14:18.
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:10   #3153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
M.C road? I have heard another toppling long back at Idukki, but then I didn't want to mention here without first hand information.
No bro, it's on the palakkad - shornur road. The accident is true. Because its the car of my brother in law's friend. Trying to get to the driver directly. From what I heard from my brother in law, it seems there was not much stability while taking a curve. Awaiting further news. I got worried hearing all this. I hope and wish that it's the driver's error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijodavis View Post
i too booked one. can you get more info on this. How it got toppled, what speed, which tyre-MRF or goodyear, quick maneuver or something like that?
I am trying to get to the owner of this car. Then we will get to know the exact driving conditions, what speed he was driving in and what made his car topple. I am trying to get him on the line. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:18   #3154
BHPian

Quote:

Should it be a reason to worry? I have booked one. That too that particular road does not have any sharp bends. Toppling issues were dead for a while and now this, it's indeed worrying for me
i too booked one. can you get more info on this. How it got toppled, what speed, which tyre-MRF or goodyear, quick maneuver or something like that?
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:50   #3155
BHPian

Quote:
Just got a news from my brother in law's friend. His car got toppled in one of the best roads in Kerala. That too the road was built by a Malaysian builder. I have driven on it and it's one of the best roads for sure.

Why don't you tell which road and when exactly ?

And if it's your brother in laws friend , surely he must be having access to some pictures.

Why don't you try to get concrete information before you post ?

Another plus - in all the so called toppling's the victim is someone's friend's/ relatives friend and he escapes unhurt .So the ES must be quite a safe car

Last edited by aah78 : 4th August 2013 at 04:16. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:10   #3156
BHPian

I went to Vibrant Ford, Hyderabad to make my first real inquiry on the Ecosport's booking period. It is a whopping 7 month period that they want for the AT model.

Is this the pattern everywhere in the country.
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:20   #3157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I went to Vibrant Ford, Hyderabad to make my first real inquiry on the Ecosport's booking period. It is a whopping 7 month period that they want for the AT model.

Yes it is same everywhere for AT model.

Regarding toppling I have my own view that we must remember that it is a tall car not a sedan so extremely spirited driving without understanding is capability at higher speeds is going to be trouble. And my guess is that 95% people buying EcoSport are upgrading from sedan so though this vehicle behaves like a sedan it has its limitation. I have had a long TD of the vehicle and with its light steering and nimble handling it is very tempting to reach the dynamic limit of the vehicle.

But whatever said n done it is a safe vehicle sure.
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:29   #3158
BHPian

I wouldn't like to comment on specific topples or numbers until more concrete info is available. But surely people switching cars should show more restraint at high speeds because it does take some time to get used to characteristics of a new car. Based on my 3-4 test drives of the Ecosport I would never throw it into a high speed corner the way I do with the Figo.
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:33   #3159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I wouldn't like to comment on specific topples or numbers until more concrete info is available. But surely people switching cars should show more restraint at high speeds because it does take some time to get used to characteristics of a new car. Based on my 3-4 test drives of the Ecosport I would never throw it into a high speed corner the way I do with the Figo.
I cannot agree more, one must be very careful especially when changing the class of vehicle.
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:16   #3160
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

People think they are infallible and it is the vehicle that is at fault.

Many first time drivers of tallboy cars simply do not take time to understand the characteristics of the vehicle and its applications.

They treat a high GC and tall SUV or van like they would, a low slung sedan or hatch back car and typically pay the price by turning turtle or other similar.

I have seen quite a number of 'plains' drivers drive frighteningly when they visit the hills, simply because they do not know how to handle their vehicles in those conditions and haven't bothered to learn!

The same goes for the breed of driver that switches from one car type to another and does not bother to understand or learn a little about the vehicle before stomping on the throttle with his Number Ten LeadenFeet...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:49   #3161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Many first time drivers of tallboy cars simply do not take time to understand the characteristics of the vehicle and its applications.
I am not disagreeing with the view, but don't mistake me for asking this, as it is my humble doubt.

Isn't the above condition ('new drivers who don't understand') stand equally true for both new vehicle A and new vehicle B which have similar applications? Yet, why is the marks scored in the examinations by new vehicle B way less than new vehicle A?
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:06   #3162
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

I am not disagreeing with the view, but don't mistake me for asking this, as it is my humble doubt.

Isn't the above condition ('new drivers who don't understand') stand equally true for both new vehicle A and new vehicle B which have similar applications? Yet, why is the marks scored in the examinations by new vehicle B way less than new vehicle A?
Sorry Thoma I did not understand the question completely.
Which vehicles specifically are we talking about here?

What I meant is - new drivers or relatively less experienced drivers who make a sudden shift from one type of vehicle to another, completely different type, do not generally bother to acquaint themselves with the new vehicle's characteristics and design and applications and hence, face trouble. Some years back at the Mahindra workshop I was talking to one of the technicians. He mentioned that there were lots of Scorpios and Boleros which used to come in with worn out clutches, when they had done barely 25000 kms and such. He attributed this to the fact that most of the drivers of these vehicles, had upgraded themselves to these, from standard petrol hatchback cars like Marutis and Santro and so on. He said that they did not understand how to use the torquey diesel engine's power in high traffic conditions and hence, tended to ride the clutch a lot, especially in city traffic conditions, which in turn led to their clutch burn out situations. This is only an illustration of the point I made above.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:06   #3163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
People think they are infallible and it is the vehicle that is at fault.

They treat a high GC and tall SUV or van like they would, a low slung sedan or hatch back car and typically pay the price by turning turtle or other similar.

I have seen quite a number of 'plains' drivers drive frighteningly when they visit the hills, simply because they do not know how to handle their vehicles in those conditions and haven't bothered to learn!

The same goes for the breed of driver that switches from one car type to another and does not bother to understand or learn a little about the vehicle before stomping on the throttle with his Number Ten LeadenFeet...

I do agree with you.

They drive their vehicle as if they drive d more planted counterparts.
Lacks basic knowledge of cars, their drivability and their limitations!
just because the car has god ABS, EBD and airbags doesn't mean the vehicle is to be driven like a maniac.

I drove the vehicle, EcoSport even today morning on that particular route.
And I can say with hand on heart that if such incident have to happen then the driver or some unforeseen event/ incidence is the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijodavis View Post
Dear buddy,

The tyres may it be MRF or it be Good year would've behaved similar in the said situation.
evaluation that a tyre caused the incident is totally ridiculous!

Last edited by johannskaria : 3rd August 2013 at 17:16.
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:15   #3164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
.did not understand how to use the torquey diesel engine's power in high traffic conditions and hence, tended to ride the clutch a lot, especially in city traffic conditions, which in turn led to their clutch burn out situations. This is only an illustration of the point I made above.

how does one ride a diesel car in such conditions?

Last edited by aah78 : 4th August 2013 at 04:15. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 3rd August 2013, 18:58   #3165
BHPian

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks!

I went today morning with great expectations to hopefully finalize on the EcoSport diesel .... the minute I entered the showroom .... my eye catches a big sign saying "WAITING PERIOD" .... base models like Trend have a waiting period 45-90 days and top end titanium models 1 YEAR !!!
No sales executive or the receptionist had the decency to even greet me ... No one attended me, they were merrily chatting on their chairs and couch and I didn't have a price list with me when I came back.

I think someone needs to teach these people some manners and ethics after they get uncanny number of bookings they've never seen.
I am totally disgusted with this experience from Cargo Ford and I hope they learn a lesson or two!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post

Last edited by aah78 : 4th August 2013 at 04:14. Reason: See note.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks