Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 14:03   #3271
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

I seem to have a problem and I'm looking for guidance...

I've recently crossed 1000 km on my Ecosport Ecoboost. The idling speed of the engine has been going up and is now at 1250 rpm. When I took delivery it was close to 900, and has been steadily increasing ever since. I remember reading in the manual that the idling RPM should be around 860.

What could be going wrong? I talked to the service manager, and he says that I shouldn't worry about it, and they will see what needs to be done when I bring it for the first service at 2500 km. Any advice?
Old 8th August 2013, 14:40   #3272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
The idling speed of the engine has been going up and is now at 1250 rpm. When I took delivery it was close to 900, and has been steadily increasing ever since.

What could be going wrong? I talked to the service manager... Any advice?
Dear saisrujan sir,

First, it would be more helpful if you can provide a little more details. Like, is the rpm high during cold starts only and then as the engine heats up, it becomes normal? Or, does it remain high even when the engine has warmed up? Or whether it shoots up when the clutch is pressed?

I don't know much technical details of the ecoboost engine. But among the older petrols, here are a few scenarios which are responsible for the same:

1. Check the MAF sensor. Clean it and unplug it. If the rpm goes back to normal, then there's your problem.

2. The idle air control (IAC) part. This goes under different names with different companies (chevy called it LLM or something). Its usually associated with the throttle body. Unplug it and see whether it dies or not. If not sure, ask about this to your service manager.

3. Vaccum leak. Was a known (albeit not common) problem with ford petrols in the early 2000's. Usually the brake booster is the usual suspect.

4. Just unplug the battery (both terminals, positive first) and leave it like that for 1/2-1 hour. This allows the ECU to reset. This usually cures most of the cases.

5. Throttle position sensor problem. Will cause a rise in rpm's. Only way out is replacement.

What I suggest is to first disconnect the battery and let the ECU reset. If problem still persists, then try the MAF sensor (I am assuming it is equipped with one). If this doesn't help, I think its best to take it to the A.S.S. The above mentioned scenarios are the most common causes of high rpm's.

Hope this helps.

Keep us updated.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 15:47   #3273
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
@simple_car & @acm: indeed I intend to keep my car long term, I still haven't found the heart to sell my 15 yr old fiat uno!

So I guess I will keep the Ecosport for a decade if it holds up well & no major accidents.

Looks like diesel is the popular advise, but will try to do a TD of a 1.5 petrol somehow to make a final decision.
I would suggest a 1.5P only for the AT and Safety (some aspects present only in AT model) in the default Titanium trim, else in petrol EcoBoost is the engine to buy.

Diesel is that I would suggest for more than 1500 kms per month and Petrol EcoBoost for less than that. In both cases am assuming that the vehicle will do more than 100,000 kms in your hands.

PS: Vehicles with Turbo (both Petrol and Diesel) have to be driven a bit differently than naturally aspirated ones. One has to be a bit generous with the Accelerator in the low RPM range and then can be gentle once the vehicle is in the Turbo band also here too one does not keep on accelerating the vehicle in the same gear but one needs keep upshifting before the vehicle moves out of the turbo band on the higher rpm side. On the other hand if one upshifts too early one will keep falling below the turbo range and keeping loosing out on power so for example (not necessarily the rpms for EcoSport.

Say the turbo range is 1700 to 3500 then one will get to 1700 as soon as possible with higher initial right foot input and then later continue till say 2700 - 3000 rpm before upshifting such that one again lands in the band over 1700 rpm in the higher gear (no upshift at say 2200 rpms to land below 1700 rpm at say 1400 rpm).

The Idea is to remain in the power band for performance and just at the lower edge of it for fuel efficiency. This can indeed be a bit hard to manage in bumper to bumper traffic when one must just cool off and go with the flow and bear the autos getting in between.

Last edited by ACM : 8th August 2013 at 15:58.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 16:48   #3274
Distinguished - BHPian

My first EcoSport Spotting, yesterday afternoon, on OMR, Chennai. Black, diesel, near Perungudi, was able to tell them that their driver door was not shut properly, but omitted to say, "great car!" Which is a pity, because it is.

I have to admit to some chasing (although the speeds were not excess) because I really wanted to have a look. It was quite tough for my Polo 1.6 to even catch up!

From what I could see, the ground clearance looks enviable; the front, well I don't go for "macho," and it is, but that's a small price to pay for such a car; the overall size looks about right for anybody who doesn't actually want big, and the feature I was most prepared to dislike, the rear-mounted spare, doesn't look too bad at all.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 17:04   #3275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My first EcoSport Spotting, yesterday afternoon, on OMR, Chennai. Black, diesel, near Perungudi, was able to tell them that their driver door was not shut properly, but omitted to say, "great car!" Which is a pity, because it is.
Oh! I am yet to see an EcoSport though I travel to office and back everyday through OMR only! Hope many EcoSport are delivered in Chennai sooner.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 17:23   #3276
Senior - BHPian

I haven't seen too many EcoSport cars in Bangalore either. My daily commute is between from behind the HAL old Airport to Old Madras Road, through half of Jeevan BhimaNagar and then the BEML road.

Only seen 1 so far and that was in Mars Red color (couldn't note the engine variant).
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 18:02   #3277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Oh! I am yet to see an EcoSport though I travel to office and back everyday through OMR only! Hope many EcoSport are delivered in Chennai sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I haven't seen too many EcoSport cars in Bangalore either. My daily commute is between from behind the HAL old Airport to Old Madras Road, through half of Jeevan BhimaNagar and then the BEML road.

Only seen 1 so far and that was in Mars Red color (couldn't note the engine variant).

Here is my list of spotting of EcoSport's in Vellore and NH46

5 Silver (2 Trend, 1 Ambiente and 2 Titanium)
10 Mars Red (All Titanium)
5 Sea Grey (90% Titanium)
Some beige type colour: 1 Titanium
3 White (All Titanium)
1 Kinetic Blue Titanium
Seems that the early booking log has got over AFAIK. But I still see some T BHPians saying that their car is not delivered yet.

Question (only for BHPians who have booked an EcoSport): What is the current waiting period for you guys?
Old 8th August 2013, 18:20   #3278
BHPian

Seeing a few EcoSports in Ahmedabad these days. All those I have seen have been diesel.

My favorite color so far is Chill Metallic. Others I have seen include, the obvious BWS (Black, White, Silver) and Mars Red.

I saw a few of these that were lower variants with the 15" wheels, and I actually preferred those to the 16" wheels. Gave a nice, low slung look, which is exactly the opposite of the look of a SUV. But then, I am weird.
Old 8th August 2013, 18:24   #3279
BHPian

I drive daily for 30 kms one way - Kowkoor- Alwal - Trimugheery via Begumpet to Hitec City, and I have seen 4 diff Ecosports may be one each day - Metallic chill, Silver, black and Mars Red, in order of number of times citing.

Guess there are not many Ecosports delivered in Hyderabad yet.

Manish
Old 8th August 2013, 19:23   #3280

I have been spotting three ecosports in HSR layout regularly now - one mars red and two chill - all of them diesel top ends. Also saw one white ecosport next to 3M HSR layour a week back.

Today while coming to work, saw one mars red around marathalli.
Old 8th August 2013, 20:04   #3281
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys, glad to share that I finally took delivery of my Ecosport today.

Pre-booked on: May 22nd (first day pre-bookings were accepted in Chennai)
Variant-Diesel Titanium Optional
Color-Sea Grey
On-road price - about 10.81 Lacs
Accessories - none so far other than essentials pack (mud guards, floor mats etc). Thinking of adding spare wheel cover and front parking sensors.
Delivered Tyres - Goodyear (not MRF thank god)

Attaching a couple of pictures from the delivery point. Apologies for the quality, the sunlight angle and shade there were bad. Will post better pictures and a full initial ownership report soon.
Attached Images

84.monsoon is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 20:23   #3282
BHPian

Need advice from Ecosport and other Ford owners

I've been quoted extended warranty @ Rs 14,990 and total maintenance plan @ Rs 6200 for the 1.5D Titanium (O). My queries:-

1. Is there any variance in rates quoted for the two services by dealers in different cities or are these the standard rates for the Ecosport across India?

2. Is it advisable to go for the extended warranty and total maintenance plan? Good/bad experiences are solicited from Ford owners.
Old 8th August 2013, 22:12   #3283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieraj View Post
Need advice from Ecosport and other Ford owners

I've been quoted extended warranty @ Rs 14,990 and total maintenance plan @ Rs 6200 for the 1.5D Titanium (O). My queries:-

2. Is it advisable to go for the extended warranty and total maintenance plan? Good/bad experiences are solicited from Ford owners.
2.what does the total maintenance plan cover/not cover?, IMO it is always better to go extended warranty just in case any expensive component fails, had an experience with my Honda civic and saved me from an expensive bill.
Old 8th August 2013, 22:14   #3284
BHPian

Finally cancelled Ecosport from cauvery ford
couldnt resist the arrogant behavior that they exhibited
so will not encourage such stuff from any dealer for that matter its not only with vehicle with relationship but also with the dealer
anilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 23:24   #3285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hi Guys, glad to share that I finally took delivery of my Ecosport today.

Pre-booked on: May 22nd (first day pre-bookings were accepted in Chennai)
Congratulations!
They took a while to deliver your car, didn't they? Was this car in the first lot of cars delivered in Chennai? What was the ODO reading when you took the delivery?

Last edited by DeKay : 8th August 2013 at 23:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks