Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 12:38   #3361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Maybe it was your style of driving? How used to are you to driving in such conditions? If there were Omnis doing this route, I don't see any reason why the Ecosport couldn't. I don't think the tyres are that much to blame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
...I have driven a lot in ghat roads though it has always been petrol engines. But I have never had issues driving in these conditions before. I am not saying I am a great driver but the tyre having 2-3 small holes within 1000 kms should raise questions about the quality of the tyres rather than my driving style.
Well, RWD (like Omni) is always better than a FWD (like EcoSport) on a tricky slope. In sup?'s case there was some slush as well. One more thing to consider apart from the quality of rubber.
Old 12th August 2013, 12:51   #3362
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
I have driven a lot in ghat roads though it has always been petrol engines. But I have never had issues driving in these conditions before. I am not saying I am a great driver but the tyre having 2-3 small holes within 1000 kms should raise questions about the quality of the tyres rather than my driving style..
Diesel cars will require you to change your driving style a bit in order to extract the best from them, as I'd learned recently.

The trick is to ride the wave of torque and stay in the correct gear. It will take some time to get used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Well, RWD (like Omni) is always better than a FWD (like EcoSport) on a tricky slope. In sup?'s case there was some slush as well. One more thing to consider apart from the quality of rubber.
I don't think RWD / FWD has anything to do with it.
Old 12th August 2013, 13:00   #3363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I don't think RWD / FWD has anything to do with it.
Discussions on the same topic are quite good here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/99473-slushy-sandy-muddy-trails-fwd-rwd.html
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 13:59   #3364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Diesel cars will require you to change your driving style a bit in order to extract the best from them, as I'd learned recently.

The trick is to ride the wave of torque and stay in the correct gear. It will take some time to get used to.
Ya, I realized that when I stalled the engine a couple of times in the first 2 days by accelerating too much too soon. But since then have had no problems at all and I believe by now I am pretty much used to the Diesel. In fact, I hardly use the right foot in city traffic conditions when the torque in 2nd is enough to potter about.
Old 12th August 2013, 14:14   #3365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Its both actually.
For my BIL who has a Polo1.6 right now which is 104PS was understandably feeling the lack of power in this 91PS engine
For me, it was more the driving conditions. Since I didn't get to drive in different conditions, I the limited time I drove, I was not overly impressed (May be I expected too much).
Did you happen to drive in bumper to bumper traffic with speeds hovering between 20-30km/hr ? When I drove it the first time in such conditions I wasn't impressed with the power but liked the drivability. Do post your impressions once you drive on relatively free roads and also of the Ecoboost.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 14:52   #3366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Did you happen to drive in bumper to bumper traffic with speeds hovering between 20-30km/hr ? When I drove it the first time in such conditions I wasn't impressed with the power but liked the drivability. Do post your impressions once you drive on relatively free roads and also of the Ecoboost.
Not exactly bumper to Bumper traffic but I couldn't cross 40kmph.
But my BIL drove on free roads and for sufficient distances but as I mentioned he is used to drive a 104PS car.

will definitely post my impressions after I drive it again and also the 1.0EB.

Now a general question (not exactly related to Ecosport):
In the ecosport, I saw that the start/stop button is on the passenger side close to the centre console. This was easily reachable by the passenger.
In Indian conditions, as an example, with very active kids in the front seats, isn't it a risk?
Is it not better to have it on the driver door side of the steering wheel?
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 15:00   #3367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the ecosport, I saw that the start/stop button is on the passenger side close to the centre console. This was easily reachable by the passenger.
In Indian conditions, as an example, with very active kids in the front seats, isn't it a risk?
I believe that’s quite a standard (position) for the start/stop button. An active kid in the front seat is anyway a bigger risk
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 15:00   #3368
BHPian

Is it not better to have it on the driver door side of the steering wheel?[/QUOTE

You mean somebody can press the button while you're driving?
That's a possibility.Let me see what'll happen then.
Old 12th August 2013, 15:42   #3369
Senior - BHPian

HSR layout in B'luru seems to have lots of EcoSports. Saw a 'Chill metallic' (?) colored EcoSport go into HSR layout, from at the signal on ORR/Sarjapura road, which taken straight down leads to the new Adigas restaurant/3M Car care shop. And while at 3M car care, saw a K.Blue EcoSport headed down to the opposite way (down towards Sweet Charriot). Member cars?

Quote:
That would be mine. It is a Trend diesel.
Oh okay. Hi!. Next time I see your car, you can wave back at the guy waving from a white Skoda Fabia.

Quote:
The bigger risk here is allowing an active kid to be seated in a way that he/she can reach the dashboard. This is more dangerous and though it is hardly practiced, it's better to put kids in a child seat, seated in the back.

You can always educate the grown up/bigger kids/teens.

Last edited by k_ajay : 12th August 2013 at 15:47.
Old 12th August 2013, 16:04   #3370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I believe that’s quite a standard (position) for the start/stop button.
This is also what I wanted to know. Is there any regulation for that or is it just a practice that's carried on?
If its a practice; Assuming it was initially used in a developed country, maybe whoever started this never thought about it because they have never seated a kid in the front seat

Quote:
An active kid in the front seat is anyway a bigger risk
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
The bigger risk here is allowing an active kid to be seated in a way that he/she can reach the dashboard. This is more dangerous and though it is hardly practiced, it's better to put kids in a child seat, seated in the back.
You can always educate the grown up/bigger kids/teens.
No denying that they must be seated at the rear. But, fortunately or unfortunately many things happen only in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
Yes. When it is parked, maybe the clutch/brake pedal has to be depressed to start the engine (I'm not sure) ensuring that only the driver starts the engine

Anyhow, please check it in a safe area.
Old 12th August 2013, 16:22   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Now a general question (not exactly related to Ecosport)
In the ecosport, I saw that the start/stop button is on the passenger side close to the centre console. isn't it a risk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I believe that’s quite a standard (position) for the start/stop button. An active kid in the front seat is anyway a bigger risk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
The bigger risk here is allowing an active kid to be seated in a way that he/she can reach the dashboard.

that it should have been on the right side of the steering wheel.. When my father noticed this, this is exactly what he said to me: "It doesn't feel good in my faith to start the car every morning using the left hand". He has been driving cars for over 45 years now and has always been a very sedate driver. His everyday driving starts off with a small prayer in mind and I've learnt that from him too.

And as far as I know, the Engine cranking/shutting off happens only when the Start/Stop button is pushed in with the clutch pushed in. Without the clutch pushed in, it just operates the electricals of the car before it's started. So, I think when the engine is running, pressing this button without the clutch does nothing since all the electricals are already running.
I could be wrong though. Owners please enlighten us.

nitish.h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 16:39   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
The engine cannot be stopped when you are driving the vehicle by pressing the start/start. Atleast that is how it is in the i20. It has to be pressed 4 times if you want to turn off the engine while driving.

Ford would have similar arrangement. Need to check.
zteg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 17:14   #3373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is also what I wanted to know. Is there any regulation for that or is it just a practice that's carried on?
If its a practice; Assuming it was initially used in a developed country, maybe whoever started this never thought about it because they have never seated a kid in the front seat

No denying that they must be seated at the rear. But, fortunately or unfortunately many things happen only in India.

Yes. When it is parked, maybe the clutch/brake pedal has to be depressed to start the engine (I'm not sure) ensuring that only the driver starts the engine

Anyhow, please check it in a safe area.
The Car shall start only when you have pressed the clutch, until then it will not start. Just pressing the power button shall help you play music and may be use power window. Remember this shall happen only when key fob is in your pocket.

Coming to central locking system. It is little annoying when kids are in front/back row. The Vento has similar functioning lock system. There are some advantages of this system,i feel one will need some time to get used to.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 17:34   #3374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Ecosport aka 'The Albatross'.
I booked base ambiente variant
All in all a very sensible buy for indian conditions at reasonable price, I must say.
Welcome to the club Dr Abhi! Congratulations on the new ride!
The Ambient variant club is getting bigger in Team BHP! I have been using the car for sometime now and I completely agree with what your views!
Drive safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I have been driving my Trend Chill metallic EcoSport
- Music system display is horrible. Cannot see in sun, i literally need to lean over the screen , hide it from glare to read it.
- In addition USB placement is horrible, right under the display. .
- Doors are heavy, super heavy. No new person close it in one go. I like it.
- Over all a superb car.
Bang on Rodeo! Exactly what was on my mind! I am thinking of inserting a black xray shade just over the display and hoping it will help improve the view! I will update the results after trying it on my review
Old 12th August 2013, 20:05   #3375
BHPian

Ecosport is a good car, it was the most anticipated launch of the year. No doubt about that. I really appreciate all new active owners of EcoSport, you guys are doing a good job by posting all your experience in this thread.

Having said that, I do feel awkward when people post link to their ownership review with or with out reason. Every enthusiast will be checking ownership thread, its one of the most visited threads, just check the number of users viewing those threads. Why repeatedly post review links in an official review page? If some one want to share info on upgrades and modifications, I guess there is a specific section for that, and people who is going for upgrades / modifications are sure to visit that page :-).

Just wanted to share my point, no offence to anyone.
limited-edition is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks