Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2013, 01:16   #391
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
My question is who would buy this car? Someone looking to upgrade from a small non-premium hatch, correct? I mean will someone having a honda city or a vento or a verna or cruze may want to exchange it?..

..what I feel is ecoS really would make a case and shoild snatch duster sales - especially those not looking for luggage amd 5th passenger space
That's the problem with the EcoSport. It's not accommodating enough to be classified as a viable upgrade from a large hatchback like the i20 or a sedan like a Vento.

The number of people NOT bothered by (1) the lack of space for a 5th person and (2) a small-ish boot, in a car that's in the 9-13 lakh bracket are way fewer than the number of people who consider 5th-person-space and boot-space a priority / criteria. The Duster can accommodate that 5th person and has a much larger boot, and that makes a huge difference in our price-sensitive and cabin-space-oriented automotive-market.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 01:41   #392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
what I feel is ecoS really would make a case and shoild snatch duster sales - especially those not looking for luggage amd 5th passenger space
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Duster can accommodate that 5th person and has a much larger boot, and that makes a huge difference in our price-sensitive and cabin-space-oriented automotive-market.
Thats the problem as well as the solution.

- Swift/i20 sell a lot for their price ranges and that too as first buy of a person/family.
- That means space is some thing which can still take a pass.
- The instant a similar spaced and better packaged product makes its way, people would go for it. But if they find it pricier, they may think twice.
- So to me, market definitely exists and its huge.
- But it depends on the buying power of the urban nuclear family for whom its primarily targeted. As @frontosa said, if its seen as a second car, its a different track altogether.

Now if we look at a 9-13L budget aspect; question is who typically spends for a car at that range? As per what I can see, its not the urban yuppie (who may have just got married). But its more like a reasonably well settled adult who has been employed for some years and most probably may have seen some years of married life. If at that stage, the requirements are still like an Urban Yuppie (+ a kid at max), he would buy the product hands down. But if there is a shift in priorities to space as well, he would think twice.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:08   #393
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Thats the problem as well as the solution.

- Swift/i20 sell a lot for their price ranges and that too as first buy of a person/family.
- That means space is some thing which can still take a pass.
- The instant a similar spaced and better packaged product makes its way, people would go for it. But if they find it pricier, they may think twice.
- So to me, market definitely exists and its huge.
- But it depends on the buying power of the urban nuclear family for whom its primarily targeted. As @frontosa said, if its seen as a second car, its a different track altogether.

Now if we look at a 9-13L budget aspect; question is who typically spends for a car at that range? As per what I can see, its not the urban yuppie (who may have just got married). But its more like a reasonably well settled adult who has been employed for some years and most probably may have seen some years of married life. If at that stage, the requirements are still like an Urban Yuppie (+ a kid at max), he would buy the product hands down. But if there is a shift in priorities to space as well, he would think twice.
Amp old chap.
You can fit your child comfortably in the back of the Duster.
I can take my two dogs comfortably together in the back of the Duster, but only one of them will fit comfortably at a time in my Yeti. I guess the same goes for the EcoSport. Like the Yeti, the EcoSport too will probably fail the lateral golf bag test if one tries to stuff it in the boot. However, it will work beautifully with the seats folded down.
Hence, again like the Yeti, the EcoSport is perfect for 4 adults and small amounts of luggage, 2 adults and 2 kids with reasonable amounts of luggage, 2 adults and a pet dog with some luggage OR 2 adults and scads of luggage...these outlined scenarios are more likely to be those involving the slightly evolved urban yuppie type couple(s), than the more traditional Indian 'family' set up.

The EcoSport is a sound,practical vehicle for these evil roads of Bangalore and other Indian cities and as mentioned above, an ideal 'city yuppie's' vehicle. Many of the current crop of members of the young, smart set do not want to be chained to their desks and waste their youth, so this lifestyle change, involving more and more road trips and a bit of weekending etc is upon us.

The Great Indian Masses have finally discovered the joys of weekend motoring, much like it happened in post war England, Europe and America. The EcoSport seems the ideal tool for such people!

Indeed, if this type of vehicle had come in around ten years ago at an affordable price, I would have snapped it up like a shot. As it was, I ve always loved weekend motoring and road trips, but only had at first an old soft top non AC Gypsy to do those trips in ( you can imagine how hateful it would have been in the heat of Madras). Only later did I manage to acquire a hard top AC Gypsy which was the ideal vehicle for such trips, but was very heavy on the pocket on account of the petrol consumption.

What were the alernatives at the time? Absolutely none!

The Forester was way expensive plus petrol driven, and heavy on the fuel, so never a car for the Regular Joe like me. The Tata Sierra had gone out of the market by then and anyway it used to cost about 4-5 lacs in the late 1990's itself, which was expensive by most 'common bloke's' standards.

The original 2005 Fusion was a lovely practical car and had great possibilities but died prematurely on account of high pricing, horrible positioning, lousy marketing and general efficiencies(deficiencies).

The Fiat Adventure and Weekend and Indigo Marina simply did not cut it at all on account of the wheezy petrol engines, dying Diesels and in the case of the Marina, poor quality, lack of desirability, taxi image etc. The Qualis and Tavera were only people movers and did not really appeal from the 'style' aspect.

The Maruti Baleno Altura and Octy Combi were aimed at the Chairmen and MD's of companies and not some standard bloke like me. I just could NOT afford such cars at the time they were being sold. The Innova was just a tarted up Van.

The Maruti fools would never consider bringing in a Diesel Gypsy OR that little Samurai OR Baby Vitara OR Jimny OR even that lovely SX4 Hatch because they are too busy going for the average Indian Mass Market person.

The Tucson was a rich man's lifestyle vehicle in India where anywhere else it was considered a regular joe's urban utility vehicle. The Honda CRV was always very expensive and petrol driven to boot. The Nissan X Trail in India was addressing a different consumer segment compared to the segment it goes after, anywhere else in the world. The Captiva looked the part, yes, but did not have the functionality 4x4 except in the top spec and was very expensive too.

Saying all this, the only affordable vehicle(s) that a regular joe slightly evolved urban dweller with an active lifestyle could consider between 1998-2012 were a Sumo, Safari, Bolero or Scorpio. There was nothing else really.

The slightly evolved regular blokes in India, with active lifestyles, have, for absolutely AGES, been craving a vehicle like the EcoSport and finally, here it is!

I think that petrol engine innovation with this EcoBoost 1 litre boombox is a very good thing. I love the vehicle otherwise, so very practical and neat. I only wish that the blokes at Ford would give us the 4x4. The same way that I wished and wished that the toads at Renault would be kind enough to give us the 4x4 version in Euro safety spec. Now that would have been a killer if they had stayed true to the Dacia promise of pricing and not painted it up and embellished it and demanded an undeserved super premium as a Renault.

I believe despite all that the nay sayers may say, that the EcoSport will simply fly off the shelves and Ford will be very hard pressed to meet the demand. Practically all the other vehicles on sale in this market, will feel the heat and rightly so. The only thing is that like the Duster's initial pricing strategy, Ford has to offer the vehicle smartly at the 'sweet spot' of value!

Thinking slightly differently, the Ford EcoSport offers a buyer pretty much all the essentials that a Mini Countryman offers, at around 1/3rd the price, and all that the Yeti offers at around 2/3d's the price!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd June 2013 at 07:14.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:25   #394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hence, again like the Yeti, the EcoSport is perfect for 4 adults and small amounts of luggage, 2 adults and 2 kids with reasonable amounts of luggage, 2 adults and a pet dog with some luggage OR 2 adults and scads of luggage...these outlined scenarios are more likely to be those involving the slightly evolved urban yuppie type couple(s), than the more traditional Indian 'family' set up.
Thats exactly what I am saying too. If requirements are restricted to a total of 4 people, the product will fly off the shelves. The buying power of the urban youth or a young urban adult has definitely gone up, such that he/she can afford that C-segment price bracket earlier in life.

However to quote Suhaas's earlier post (he summed it up very well)

Quote:
The number of people NOT bothered by (1) the lack of space for a 5th person and (2) a small-ish boot, in a car that's in the 9-13 lakh bracket are way fewer than the number of people who consider 5th-person-space and boot-space a priority / criteria.
This is purely from requirements gathering standpoint. Ecosport is the perfect lifestyle vehicle, packaged brilliantly, is loaded and has many things going for it. I sincerely hope the section of market it targets, as a primary product solution, pans out to be much higher.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2013 at 07:26.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:50   #395
BHPian

@Vid6639: Outstanding review sir! Truly appreciate the top level detailing.

I am very eager to take a test drive of the Ecosport Diesel. 22.7 kmpl as per ARAI seems good considering the overall size of the vehicle. Definitely, the Diesel Ecosport will further enhance Ford sales in India.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:10   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

The Great Indian Masses have finally discovered the joys of weekend motoring, much like it happened in post war England, Europe and America. The EcoSport seems the ideal tool for such people!

The original 2005 Fusion was a lovely practical car and had great possibilities but died prematurely on account of high pricing, horrible positioning, lousy marketing and general efficiencies(deficiencies).

Actually there is another segment which everybody is missing. It is the slightly greying mid age guy now slowly getting off the rat race. Not interested in prestige & would be going off the beaten track.

When we got the Fusion I had migrated to this group. A lot of my circle had looked at the vehicle but were put off by the lack of ABS, Airbags & AT. We went ahead as a 2 year stop gap which is 6 years now!!

The Maruti fools would never consider bringing in a Diesel Gypsy OR that little Samurai OR Baby Vitara OR Jimny OR even that lovely SX4 Hatch because they are too busy going for the average Indian Mass Market person.
Correctly said. Maruti only knows how to race to the bottom of the market. Fortunately their quality is better than Tata Motors so they are able to survive this.

The slightly evolved regular blokes in India, with active lifestyles, have, for absolutely AGES, been craving a vehicle like the EcoSport and finally, here it is!

I think that petrol engine innovation with this EcoBoost 1 litre boombox is a very good thing. I love the vehicle otherwise, so very practical and neat. I only wish that the blokes at Ford would give us the 4x4. The same way that I wished and wished that the toads at Renault would be kind enough to give us the 4x4 version in Euro safety spec. Now that would have been a killer if they had stayed true to the Dacia promise of pricing and not painted it up and embellished it and demanded an undeserved super premium as a Renault.

The mystical 4x4 with AT & all safety aids. Like chasing the holy grail eh!!
Even I feel that both Ford & Renault are underestimating the Indian buyer. My only hope is that Hyundai will possibly come riding to the rescue - but when?

Last edited by sridhar-v : 2nd June 2013 at 10:11. Reason: spelling & grammar
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:24   #397
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post

Even I feel that both Ford & Renault are underestimating the Indian buyer. My only hope is that Hyundai will possibly come riding to the rescue - but when?
Yeah mate. I am in the same boat, give or take. Gods grace I hope to last my Yeti through the next 7 years at least.
Hyundai IX35 or new Tucson could be a good bet or the Korando or the Chevy Trax etc.
But all of these are about 7 years late into this size and price segment and market.
I just wish they had paid heed to the innumerable laments in the magazines by way of letters to the editor and of course, fora such as this one!
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:50   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Vid, seeing this review, it makes me wonder if you coined the phrase "God is in the details...".

Brilliant review of what is easily the launch of the year. Our heartfelt gratitude for the effort, time & dedication that went into the EcoSport report.

*Rates Thread a well-deserved 5 stars*
I completely agree with you. The review deserves 11 in a scale of 1-10. Efforts are well recognised.

Keep it up.
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:51   #399
BHPian

Excellent comparison between EcoSport and Duster on MotorBeam

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/renaul...enault-duster/
Attached Images

damager21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:20   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Excellent comparison between EcoSport and Duster on MotorBeam

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/renaul...enault-duster/
Good comparison between Duster and Ecosports. To my (personal) view, Duster looks simple and Bold from both front and rear views. Side view, Ecosports looks very cute and stylish.
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:55   #401
Senior - BHPian

Well said Ampere / Balan. I do not understand this obsession of some people with 5th seat and boot space. How often do we take 5th person and stuff boot? Most of us do it 5 times a year. Now, out of 365 days, if you use 5th seat and boot space only 5 days then which is more important-- 360 days of discomfort driving a huge empty car or 5 days of discomfort driving a packed compact car? I prefer latter. And personally, if I have to stuff my car, I would hire a taxi like Tavera/Innova and let the driver sweat through traffic while I involve in conversation with my guests.

As for Ecosport, I am sure it would be a super super hit. There are 4 persons in my family who have put their new car buying decision on hold until they have checked out Ecosport. And going by the impression this car has created on them, I won't be surprised if all 4 pick up this car. Yes, one thing I agree with is, no matter how good or stunning a car is, people draw a line on price front and stop there. So, Ford must price it competitively. I was never an SUV fan myself but after seeing what civic authorities are doing to our city roads ( huge bumps, constant diggings, unevenly filled pot-holes, construction everywhere ), I have become an SUV convert. Now, 200 mm GC and high-seating sound like music to me.
Old 2nd June 2013, 13:09   #402

This is an amazing review. Team-bhp has raised the bar of car reviews to another stratosphere altogether.

The pricing for Eco-sport is very crucial. Not to mention Ford's after sales service. Mahindra XUV owners are facing problems with the servicing with specific mention of the electricals in the car.

Just wanted to mention that I saw an Eco-sport in Ahmedabad a couple of days back bearing a Tamil Nadu registration plate. Looked really nice in Red and caught quiet a many eye balls.

Was just wondering if any one knows the size of the A.C compressor? Is it as large as the Figo which is known to have such superior cooling?
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:54   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
So much of hope and waiting and hype on a compact SUV from ford and overall impression is very disappointing. I always wanted my next upgrade to be a compact SUV but leaning more towards the Duster as of now. Final decision only after a proper test drive of both, which I will have to wait couple of months more. But I am sure, its the right vehicle for many who will be happy with whatever is offered with it. I want 5 people to fit in and more luggage to be pushed in
I suggest taking a close look at the Duster and Ecosport before you decide. The Duster is built to an aggressive cost target and this is clearly apparent everywhere. One example, when you open the front door of the Duster, the top rigjt hand corner edge is bare metal. Most other cars including my Polo and the Ecosport, this area is padded with a beading plus additional soft material for protection. Duster has this bare metal edge and that too, it is at just the wrong height, if you happen to bend back down to get something and are a bit careless, you can hit your brow on this metal edge. This is just one example among many such things you take for granted for this price segment (and even one lower) but the Duster does not have for cost reasons.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 16:02   #404
BHPian

Friends, i went and gave a token to SC ford, i got my token number as 179 (which means 179 people have already given a token for it and it's been only 2 days since they started accepting the token). In any case they had a brochure which was a dealer copy and saw that 7 colours will be offered. Kinetic Blue, Orange, Red, Silver, Grey, Black and White.
Apart from that those worried about the difference in specs between the Titanium and Titanium (O) version.
The normal Titanium version will come with start stop, keyless entry but will loose out on side curtain airbags and leather seats.
But for the Automatic titanium version all four, curtain airbags, leather seats, start stop button and keyless entry is missing.
Depending on the price i'm looking at Titanium Ecoboost
What some people are forgetting is that there is another kind of urban buyer who already has other cars and wants the Ecosport as an additional car or a car for someone else in the family for whom the car is a perfect alternative to the usual sedans. For the boot and 5th passenger arent the foremost concern.

P.S. i forgot to mention another difference between the Titanium and Titanium (O) version is the interior tone. Titanium (O) will come with black and dark shadow grey interiors where as the brochure mentioned Black and Grey interiors for the rest of the variants, which i think means that the rest of the variants will have a lighter grey tone to the interior, which to my mind isn't as nice as the dark grey we see here in the pictures, again this shade i haven't seen with my own eyes, i'm just mentioning what is mentioned in the brochure

Last edited by ishaanranderia : 2nd June 2013 at 16:05. Reason: Missed a point
ishaanranderia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 16:12   #405
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Well . Now, out of 365 days, if you use 5th seat and boot space only 5 days then which is more important-- 360 days of discomfort driving a huge empty car or 5 days of discomfort driving a packed compact car? I prefer latter. And personally, if I have to stuff my car, I would hire a taxi like Tavera/Innova and let the driver sweat through traffic while I involve in conversation with my guests.

was never an SUV fan myself but after seeing what civic authorities are doing to our city roads ( huge bumps, constant diggings, unevenly filled pot-holes, construction everywhere ), I have become an SUV convert. Now, 200 mm GC and high-seating sound like music to me.
Yes even I learned the above facts as you have written here, the hard way. Blundering about daily in my Scorpio which was mostly empty and very bumpy indeed, I started experiencing neck ache and back ache and so on. Realized that it would be best to go a couple of segments higher to the best available compact SUV at the time, which had comfort, finesse, safety, luxury etc all rolled into one neat, smart, compact package. Hence the Yeti.

This morning, for the first time in my life I saw the EcoSport in the flesh near the BDA HSR and I chased it upto Agara lake. Caught up at the traffic lights and chatted briefly with the bloke at the wheel. Turned out to be one of 5 Titanium Trim versions with the 1 litre EcoBoost engine, being used on their Urban Discoveries Trail. A lovely blood orange colour. Nice alloys. The vehicle's window sill was placed higher than my Yeti. The overall length is the same as the Yeti because of the EcoSport's fat tailgate mounted spare wheel. The height looks more or less the same but the shorter stance and higher ground clearance seems apparent. I judged all of this while sitting inside my car and chatting with the bloke in the EcoSport but all these measurements and comparos can best be authenticated with both vehicles parked side by side, stationary and with a little time to examine them together. The bloke smiled when I told him he was lucky to have been chosen for the Urban Discovery Trail and he grinningly said why was I grumbling when I had the Yeti!
He said the EcoBoost engine was peppy as the blazes and the vehicle was a blast to drive. He appeared extremely pleased with the GC and the water wading ability that the EcoSport has. Wen the lights changed he won the traffic light grand prix very easily with his high revving peppy little petrol engine and turned off towards the ST Bed area... I peeled off as I was going elsewhere.

This clean accelerating sound of the EcoSport harked me back to 1999 when my friend who was a Ford Engineer, lent me a brand new Ikon 1.6 Josh machine to play with one weekend, in exchange for my Gypsy. This was just before the Ikon got officially launched! I remember the same thrilling high revving engine sound from that Ikon driving it about near Besant Nagar beach in Madras. Lovely thing!

All to the good then, for the EcoSport. Good luck to the little Urban SUV! I got my wife to photograph it on her phone while I was behind it. Will post those pics later on this thread.

I like the EcoSport very much indeed and think it is a smart, sassy, capable little runabout. I only wish that one day they launch the 4WD as well, at a nice price!
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks