Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 22:50   #5176

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hertz Tweeters fix directly into space provided from behind after you open door pad.

Input is from respective speaker wire, so does not void warranty. You can either use tapping clips of insert the wire into the speaker socket.

Posting an image of compatible model
Hope it helps.
Thanks a lot for the info and sorry for keep pushing you for details but please can you tell me where did you get them from? Is it from some online store?
Old 29th October 2013, 23:10   #5177
BHPian

Quote:
Hertz Tweeters fix directly into space provided from behind after you open door pad.

Input is from respective speaker wire, so does not void warranty. You can either use tapping clips of insert the wire into the speaker socket.

Posting an image of compatible model
Hope it helps.
You installed the components or just the tweeter ?
Old 29th October 2013, 23:13   #5178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
No issue is done to death until there is enough evidence. Until now there is no evidence that the drivers of the toppled ecosports were running it like a sedan or a hatch. They remain assumptions, just like de-engineering is another assumption. So each new toppling that happens make us sit up and re-evaluate the assumptions. Three confirmed topplings in 4 months is alarming, so we better have some conclusions soon.
Can you please repeat /enlist the four toppling situations, so that we can analyse them one after the other
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 23:31   #5179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
You installed the components or just the tweeter ?
Just the tweeters , you really don't need any thing else. The result is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmmer View Post
Thanks a lot for the info and sorry for keep pushing you for details but please can you tell me where did you get them from? Is it from some online store?
I got it from a local accessory store, I am sure they are widely available may be online too.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 29th October 2013 at 23:33. Reason: sorry moderators didn't see that I had back to back posts, please merge them
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 23:55   #5180
BHPian

+1 to you. I recently did a Mumbai - Daman trip on my ecosport (ODO-1300Km) and the NH-8 as the regulars know has many sharp bends. At least on a couple of occasions i felt that the vehicle is out of control at the bends (Speedo-80/ 85 Kmph). The tyres are Primacy 3ST which is known to have good grip.
Quote:
No issue is done to death until there is enough evidence. Until now there is no evidence that the drivers of the toppled ecosports were running it like a sedan or a hatch. They remain assumptions, just like de-engineering is another assumption. So each new toppling that happens make us sit up and re-evaluate the assumptions. Three confirmed toppling in 4 months is alarming, so we better have some conclusions soon.
Quote:
Can you please repeat /enlist the four toppling situations, so that we can analyze them one after the other
Yeah, I am aware of only two toppling incidents, first at goa during the media drive and second at Gujarat wherein a TD vehicle toppled (whose pics were also RT'd as a third incident in Kerala that never occurred). can you pse share some more info on the 3rd incident. Thanks

Last edited by Moto-Mariner : 30th October 2013 at 00:12.
Old 30th October 2013, 01:07   #5181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mariner View Post
+1 to you. I recently did a Mumbai - Daman trip on my ecosport (ODO-1300Km) and the NH-8 as the regulars know has many sharp bends. At least on a couple of occasions i felt that the vehicle is out of control at the bends (Speedo-80/ 85 Kmph). The tyres are Primacy 3ST which is known to have good grip.

Yeah, I am aware of only two toppling incidents, first at goa during the media drive and second at Gujarat wherein a TD vehicle toppled (whose pics were also RT'd as a third incident in Kerala that never occurred). can you pse share some more info on the 3rd and 4th incidents. Thanks
Thanks to you moto mariner and ecosport

1.Goa incident.The driver himself confessed that it was his fault (he lost control hit the pole and fell off the elevated road.

2.Gujarat incident.The person who was test driving the white ecosport hit the divider at 110 kmph toppled with 5 on board.I think you can topple a Ferrari also if the angle and speed is right

3.Kerala incident.never occurred. The Gujarat incident was blown out of proportion and continued as kerala incident.I think renault had a big hand in this rumour.
I remember a fellow bhpian mentioning his visit to Renault showroom wher the sales consultant was saying our car doesnt topple but ecosport does.
There are several pictures of dusters toppling on this forum itself. A similar strategy has been employed by hyundai too.

All this is happening as these people are not able to sell their cars without tarnishing the image of ecosport.

4.Please @ ECOSPORT update us about the fourth event.

Let me give you my honest feedback.Firstly it will take a perfect idiot to topple the car as moto mariner rightly said he knew when the car is starting to loose control.

I have clocked around 9000km till date from 26th June (tdci titanium optional).My car rides on yoko db series and they are extremely well behaved.Visited places in karnataka, andhra pradesh, maharashtra.

1.I have driven on every possible terrain (fantastic 6 Lane roads, wet mud, sand, cemented roads, tar roads, no road,broken roads, extremely damaged roads, uphills, extreme slopes) pushed my car to the maximum limit for the past 9000 km.
2.I have touched speeds upto 170 kmph on a straight stretch, not very confidence inspiring at that speed.(did this only to test the car after engine run in)
3.It behaves extremely well , in total control till 120 kmph, but I think 100kmph is a very safe speed.
4.handles sharp curves very well till 70 kmph by which time you start getting a feedback that it is going to give way
medium curves like the exits of ring roads are ok till 90 to 100kmph
5.There is minimal body roll.(works against toppling)
6.The steering wheel gains good weight as the speed increases on highways so the character of steering wheel in City cannot be held responsible.
7.remember that the car has high CG, ISN'T that the reason we were attracted to

The car gives an excellent feed back on behaviour and its limitations, now tell me how is it possible to topple such a car?

Like all cars ecosport has its limitations. How do we expect it to behave like a submarine in water,Ferrari on good roads and Toyota land cruiser on broken roads.

Please understand the dynamics of the car and then drive it accordingly.

IMHO toppling, water getting inside the engine and tyre side wall bulges /damages are all user/driver errors

Last edited by ecosport rules : 30th October 2013 at 01:12.
ecosport rules is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 02:39   #5182
BHPian

Quote:
7.remember that the car has high CG, ISN'T that the reason we were attracted to

How do we expect it to behave like a submarine in water
Exactly, none of the toppling reports has ever bothered me one bit.

Any car (leave alone Ecosport) gives a good feedback before it "suddenly" (never!) decides to topple. Its the drivers duty to know & gauge this or otherwise not push it to extreme limits if they are so inexperienced.
I know this is a high CG/GC vehicle, it will topple easier than my sedan (Keyword here: "easier", NOT "easy")! Its common sense. Hell, I have taken turns at unbelievably high speeds with the Honda City but it also hits almost every other speed-breaker on the underside! Why should I expect the same from this car? It doesnt have the same design objectives! I WILL have to go slower with the Ecosport on turns. That is the price I pay for not having to worry about hitting my car underside every now & then on everything from bricks & speed-breakers on city roads to unpaved mountain passes. All this still doesnt mean its a breeze to topple it & put on a great acrobatic show!

But water wading is another story. Ford claims it to a certain height of 550mm (correct?) & I will not budge on anything less than that claim. The car needs to meet that expectation of mine as claimed by Ford. Yes I know how to properly drive in water, all the precautions needed to be taken et al but the height has to be met!
No, I dont plan on making it a regular feature on my drives, but I need it because I may have to depend on it a few times in the lifetime of the vehicle for sure, in my intended use for the vehicle.
This is a design objective of the vehicle, an advertised feature & 1 imp reason for me to buy this car. So no compromises on this one.

Fortunately, ecosport_rules (thanks yet again!) gave a few details some posts back that do suggest that I need not be bothered on this front, so I am more or less content on this aspect but keenly observing the thread for more!

Last edited by anks_at : 30th October 2013 at 02:59.
anks_at is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 09:18   #5183
BHPian

Quote:
Just the tweeters , you really don't need any thing else. The result is awesome.

I got it from a local accessory store, I am sure they are widely available may be online too.
Thanks for even posting the pictures. Awesome mate.

I will get them fixed this Extra long Diwali weekend and post the results.
Old 30th October 2013, 09:24   #5184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Exactly, none of the toppling reports has ever bothered me one bit.

Any car (leave alone Ecosport) gives a good feedback before it "suddenly" (never!) decides to topple. Its the drivers duty to know & gauge this or otherwise not push it to extreme limits if they are so inexperienced.
I know this is a high CG/GC vehicle, it will topple easier than my sedan (Keyword here: "easier", NOT "easy")! Its common sense. Hell, I have taken turns at unbelievably high speeds with the Honda City but it also hits almost every other speed-breaker on the underside! Why should I expect the same from this car? It doesnt have the same design objectives! I WILL have to go slower with the Ecosport on turns. That is the price I pay for not having to worry about hitting my car underside every now & then on everything from bricks & speed-breakers on city roads to unpaved mountain passes

Fortunately, ecosport_rules (thanks yet again!) gave a few details some posts back that do suggest that I need not be bothered on this front, so I am more or less content on this aspect but keenly observing the thread for more!

Thank you anks_at for the logical back up.
Good to hear that you are also of the same opinion.

We were discussing driver error s in case of toppling, water in engine and tyre side wall bulges.

I just saw this on face book, this guy is fighting with Ford for free replacement of the tyre due to side wall bulge which occurred due to external injury (point number3)
SOURCE: from the automotive india

Facts about side wall bulge:

1.This phenomenon occurs when the steel belts give way and the air inside pushes the wall outside,

2. faulty tyre. When the bulge happens on its own , without an external injury(manufacturers defect)-can claim warranty

3. Very high impact. When the impact is very high at the appropriate angle, may be due to bad roads or driver error the steel belts give way.we can usually see an external injury. More commonly occurs on highways due to sudden impacts at high speeds.-cannot claim warranty

4.Tyre profile. When people try to install larger alloy wheels with lower profile tyres.for eg.17inches on the ecosport or the skoda laura's wheels or the audi A4 or A6 wheels.
It just takes one Highway journey to cause the bulge.
As the profile height goes down the side wall strength also reduces for the given vehicle.
The result is that the side wall bulges with much lesser impact.-you can claim free replacement when the sizes are within company recommendations.

Have you observed the profile on fortuner or endeavour? Tiny alloy wheel diameter with very large profile tyres.They have that for a reason

PS. Please remember for our country where the roads are unpredictable, its always better to go for the highest profile recommended.
This not only prevents side wall bulges but also provides superior comfort.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screenshot_20131029133410.png  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 30th October 2013 at 09:42. Reason: to add content
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 09:59   #5185
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Donot draw any hasty conclusions, it will take a perfect idiot for the water to enter ecosports engine as I have previously shared with the toppling incidents.

Dont worry, the ecosport has the water wading of 550mm at 5 to10kmph speed, I have seen it my self.

Please understand we are dealing with a car and not a submarine and we are talking about water wading and not water cruising or water racing so we have to factor the after water splash. (No offence to anybody)

I have already tested it with the car submerged in water after taking the measurement of the air intake from the floor.

Here are my detailed findings.

1.Air intake bottom level from ground is 860mm so a safe 310mm after you have hit the 550mm mark

2.Measure of 540mm for you to easily remember is bottom of fog lamps.You can safely submerge the car till here.make sure the lamps are off.

3.370mm is when the driver doors bottom touches the water (plastic cladding of running board already under water.

4.510.mm with the all door's plastic cladding submerged underwater.

5.310mm is the bottom most tip of silencer so if you want to submerge more than that be sure to give sufficient acceleration to prevent water entering silencer.

6.glow plug module is 830 mm from floor level (after relocation) originally was at 400mm as per international standards(U.k EUROPE)

7.half tyre submerge till ford logo bottom (290mm)and till top of logo(350mm).

The UK versions airintake must be at a lower level but surely the glow plug module is at 400mm.So they advertise it as 300mm water wading.

PS.please note that you have to factor the extra height of water splash and approach angle when you wade.I think that is the reason ford has given the extra 300mm after 550mm.

It is my guess that the people who faced the problem did not factor approach angle and water splash.

Hope this helps.
Happy motoring
Thanks ecosport rules. Were these measurements done on an empty car ? Because if yes, then because the car body will get pushed downwards when laden with people, we may need to provide some extra allowance for all your measurements except those related to the tyres ??
Old 30th October 2013, 09:59   #5186
BHPian

Anyone knows if Ford dealers provide 2/4 channel amplifiers (audio) as part of official Ford approved accessories for the Ecosport, so that additional speakers can be attached without voiding electrical warranty?
Anybody seen/taken the same?

eg: I have seen Prime Honda - Ghaziabad & Hans Hyundai (Moti Nagar, Delhi) doing it for these manufacturers. But dont know for Ford yet.
Old 30th October 2013, 10:25   #5187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
Thanks ecosport rules. Were these measurements done on an empty car ? Because if yes, then because the car body will get pushed downwards when laden with people, we may need to provide some extra allowance for all your measurements except those related to the tyres ??
Sorry I missed out mentioning this
All measurements were done with one person on board
With full load may be front will be pushed down to a lesser extent than the rear owing to the stiffer front.
Old 30th October 2013, 10:26   #5188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
That's the old version.

+1, Well now I own both the Figo & the Ecosport. Ecosport is a good car but its no way as stable as a Figo. Sharp turns that I take at 60kmph with the Figo within the city, now I do it at half the speed with the Ecosport.

The water wading issue is something that gets me nervous.
Owners: How do we ensure that the glow plug is in the right place(after the recall) and is the air intake design faulty? Any basic checks?
Why would you really worry about water wading capabilities? I mean how bad are the roads that you take in monsoon that the water rises almost upto your exhaust or even higher? I seriously think this issue has been given far more due that it deserves. To answer the question for yourself, why don't we rephrase it to - "Did i buy the ecosport for its water wading capabilities? "

Also, if Ford has moved the glow plug model higher or not, your car is under warranty. I suggest you don't sweat too much on things and enjoy the ride unless you are seriously into off roading.

After having driven the car for about 3000kms now in all kinds of roads and in heavy monsoons with water logged roads, i can tell you that its as safe as any sedan/hatch if not more. And if you haven't had any water wading issues ever in your previous vehicles, this one won't have them either.

Finally, taking turns at 60kmph is unrealistic unless its a highway. But to give you a honest answer, if its a sweeping turn like those on highways, you can easily do 80kmph. I take curves on a fly over to work that has 3 lanes at 80kmph in 5th Gear. On ghats of Amby Valley with moving traffic you can hold lines really well upto 50-55kmph.
Will i do more in a sedan or hatch? I don't know cause its how much you are used to the vehicle. You could move from a sedan to a sedan and still not drive the same way for a while until you get the feel of the new car.

Anyways, for a vehicle thats clearly been positioned as "Urban", having the right expectations is important i guess. Else, you are bound to get disappointed.

Do excuse me for the long post but i feel that people are expecting SUV creds from a vehicle that clearly is only a pseudo-SUV for largely urban use.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 10:36   #5189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Anyone knows if Ford dealers provide 2/4 channel amplifiers (audio) as part of official Ford approved accessories for the Ecosport, so that additional speakers can be attached without voiding electrical warranty?
Anybody seen/taken the same?

eg: I have seen Prime Honda - Ghaziabad & Hans Hyundai (Moti Nagar, Delhi) doing it for these manufacturers. But dont know for Ford yet.
There is no official amp from Ford.
The point is to get the dealer on your side for warranty issues. Seek his permission and buy the amp you wanna install and request him to fix it for you. If he agrees to do so you are safe.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 10:38   #5190
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please repeat /enlist the four toppling situations, so that we can analyse them one after the other
Four? Where did you read that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mariner View Post
Yeah, I am aware of only two toppling incidents, first at goa during the media drive and second at Gujarat wherein a TD vehicle toppled (whose pics were also RT'd as a third incident in Kerala that never occurred). can you pse share some more info on the 3rd incident. Thanks
Quote:
No issue is done to death until there is enough evidence. Until now there is no evidence that the drivers of the toppled ecosports were running it like a sedan or a hatch. They remain assumptions, just like de-engineering is another assumption. So each new toppling that happens make us sit up and re-evaluate the assumptions. Three confirmed topplings in 4 months is alarming, so we better have some conclusions soon.
For the third, check the attached.

Name:  topplereport.png
Views: 2782
Size:  14.8 KB

Most Viewed