Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2013, 19:50   #556
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
3.Easier to drive in city(This is where the majority would drive).
If you are referring to diesel, I would suggest you should also test drive the Duster 85. From an engine point of view, comparisons are carried out between TDCI 90 and dCI 110. They should use the Duster 85 instead for comparison. Also if you see Duster review, the 85 bhp has been hardly reviewed anywhere (except for BHP).

By the time 85bhp was released, the Duster media drive event was long done and no-one wanted to revisit.

Last edited by ampere : 6th June 2013 at 19:54.
Old 6th June 2013, 20:12   #557
BHPian

ACI has released a detailed comparison between EcoSport and Duster.

http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...-duster.aspx/1
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ecosport.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ecosport1.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-duster.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 20:27   #558
BANNED

Now Dad is so frustrated with the delay, that he is asking me to look into other cars now. I hope Ford is reading this.

BTW, does anybody have an idea if there would be a waiting period initially? I mean, would anyone get an EcoSport at the day of the launch, or is it like Duster, where you wait for a month after the launch?

Meanwhile, myself and EcoSport are the laughing stock of the family with everyone saying"EcoSport nahi Aani!!" Somehow, Ford has led even me to believe that for a moment.
Old 6th June 2013, 23:26   #559
BHPian

Fantastic review. Deserving 5 stars. Keep up the great work.

The Ecosport might be another game changer in the market provided it is priced well. I am currently on the lookout of an SUV keeping in mind the road conditions in Mumbai. The Ecosport is right there. Although I have a soft spot for the Storme.

One question though. I currently own a Figo and I am not happy about the low speed ride quality even though I have changed the tyres to 175/70 R14. Is the Ecosport's ride quality good enough to deal with the potholed roads in Mumbai? Also, I am worried about the rattling issues I have faced in both the Figo and Classic. Not sure if the new Fiesta or the Ecosport are better built to stand the abuse of time and our roads.
Old 7th June 2013, 08:40   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

Meanwhile, myself and EcoSport are the laughing stock of the family with everyone saying"EcoSport nahi Aani!!" Somehow, Ford has led even me to believe that for a moment.
I swear! I've been waiting for 8 months now, after letting my beloved swift go in november last year.
Every day, friends & family make a joke about me & my virtual ecosport

I sure pray they launch it this monday. Hopes are fading though, since there is no news about it from Ford, and knowing their ability to create a media hype, its too late for a monday launch!
Old 7th June 2013, 09:42   #561
Senior - BHPian

Excerpts from ACI:

Quote:
However, the EcoSport is more fun to drive. The stiff suspension setup lends it a certain agility, it’s got the better-weighted steering and, thanks to its good body control, it’s really entertaining to drive on twisting roads
Quote:
By contrast, the Duster’s soft suspension makes it roll quite a bit in corners, but it always feels in control and you get good feedback (sometimes too much) from the steering. Still, for day-to-day city driving, you’ll like the lightness of the EcoSport’s steering, while the Duster requires more effort to steer.
The first line says that the eco sport has the better weighted steering (in bold) and the second line says that we will like the lightness of the eco sport's steering as the Duster requires more effort (again in bold). Doesn't a better weighted steering mean it involves the driver and thus requires more effort? Or am I missing something here.
Old 7th June 2013, 10:12   #562
BHPian

Here is another comparison between Duster and EcoSport from "cartoq.com"

LINK
Old 7th June 2013, 14:01   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Excerpts from ACI:

The first line says that the eco sport has the better weighted steering (in bold) and the second line says that we will like the lightness of the eco sport's steering as the Duster requires more effort (again in bold). Doesn't a better weighted steering mean it involves the driver and thus requires more effort? Or am I missing something here.
I believe better weighted steering implies a very light steering at parking speeds but it gets heavier/harder with speed.
Old 7th June 2013, 14:23   #564
Senior - BHPian

Is DCT gearbox on Ecosport same as DSG on VWs? Shouldn't there be any reliability concerns then?
Old 7th June 2013, 15:26   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Is DCT gearbox on Ecosport same as DSG on VWs? Shouldn't there be any reliability concerns then?
Both are Dual-clutch gearboxes, but they aren't same, the DCT is developed and designed by Ford, no relation with the VW box as far as I know.
Old 7th June 2013, 15:58   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Both Ford's DCT and VW's DSG belong to Automated Manual Transmission types. VW DSG DQ200 (the one in Superb and newly launched Polo GT-TSI) is known to have reliability issues across the world. There isn't much written about Ford's DCT being unreliable though. Also, at the time of New Ford Fiesta Automatic launch, Ford stated that DCT box requires no maintenance for 10 yrs/240,000 KM (Not to be confused with 10 year warranty, it wasn't offered). That means Ford is confident about their DCT box unlike VW in India.
Incidentally, neither Ford nor VW has developed these boxes on their own. Ford got it developed jointly with Getrag while VW procured it from Borg-Warner. Another example of US company (Ford) selecting German technology (Borg-Warner) and German Company (VW) opting for US technology (Getrag). As they say "Self possessions are always undermined and other’s possessions seem better' or "Ghar ki Murgi Daal barabar"
Old 7th June 2013, 16:25   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Both are Dual-clutch gearboxes, but they aren't same, the DCT is developed and designed by Ford, no relation with the VW box as far as I know.
Apart from what nipcarlover says, Ford's PowerShift did have problems so Ford offers them with a 10-year maintenance-free promise - in India as well with the Fiesta. VW is more stingy. They haven't even started offering extended warranty on the Polo GT as yet.
Old 7th June 2013, 16:42   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are referring to diesel, I would suggest you should also test drive the Duster 85. From an engine point of view, comparisons are carried out between TDCI 90 and dCI 110. They should use the Duster 85 instead for comparison. Also if you see Duster review, the 85 bhp has been hardly reviewed anywhere (except for BHP).

By the time 85bhp was released, the Duster media drive event was long done and no-one wanted to revisit.

Hey Ampere I suggest you write a review of your 85 bhp duster. It will help us to understand the pros and cons of that vehicle in the said engine tune. Drawing comparisons between the the duster (85 bhp) and the ecosport can then be left to the readers who are seriously considering one of the two vehicles
Old 7th June 2013, 19:42   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Ford Sources its DCT from a company called getrag, manufacturing gearboxes for BMW, Mercedes etc. as far as i remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Both Ford's DCT and VW's DSG belong to Automated Manual Transmission types. VW DSG DQ200 (the one in Superb and newly launched Polo GT-TSI) is known to have reliability issues across the world. There isn't much written about Ford's DCT being unreliable though. Also, at the time of New Ford Fiesta Automatic launch, Ford stated that DCT box requires no maintenance for 10 yrs/240,000 KM (Not to be confused with 10 year warranty, it wasn't offered). That means Ford is confident about their DCT box unlike VW in India.
Incidentally, neither Ford nor VW has developed these boxes on their own. Ford got it developed jointly with Getrag while VW procured it from Borg-Warner. Another example of US company (Ford) selecting German technology (Borg-Warner) and German Company (VW) opting for US technology (Getrag). As they say "Self possessions are always undermined and other’s possessions seem better' or "Ghar ki Murgi Daal barabar"

I have searched a lot regarding the reliability of both the gearboxes and have found that, Ford's DCT is less prone to failures. There is only one record of recall in brazil and i could not find anything else.

about the warranty on the gearbox, I asked ford, customer care and the dealer, they said ford is offering ten year warranty separately on the gearbox.
Any issues they will replace the gearbox and only for this reason I am desperately waiting for Ecosport powershift
Old 7th June 2013, 20:13   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokid View Post
I swear! I've been waiting for 8 months now, after letting my beloved swift go in november last year.
Every day, friends & family make a joke about me & my virtual ecosport

I sure pray they launch it this monday. Hopes are fading though, since there is no news about it from Ford, and knowing their ability to create a media hype, its too late for a monday launch!
You can keep whipping the dead horse, just got a call from SC Ford saying they will only launch the Ecosport in the third week of June, they say it is to ensure that their car reaches all showrooms for the massive response they are expecting, i say bulls**t

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks