Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 20:33   #571
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post

You can keep whipping the dead horse, just got a call from SC Ford saying they will only launch the Ecosport in the third week of June, they say it is to ensure that their car reaches all showrooms for the massive response they are expecting, i say bulls**t
Well, like it or not, you will only get it when you get it. From all accounts the demand is frightening and by delaying the launch like this they are creating a bit of a frenzy. However, it is a very fine line to walk and I hope they don't go overboard on the frenzy because it will very quickly be replaced by frustration like the shifting desert sands!
Old 7th June 2013, 22:12   #572

Folks,

I am seeking some advice and opinions on my situation.

My wife had booked an Amaze SMT iDtec, and she just got a call that we should come pick it up. Now there are 3 problems -
1) After a lot of persuasion, she agrees that diesel doesn't make sense (given her low mileage of 500 kms a month). She's agreed for a petrol AT instead. Honda now says that it'll be another 6 months before we get it, if we change to petrol.
2) She really digs the ecosport and wants to wait to see how much it is priced at. We would mostly buy the 1.5 AT if it is priced well. I suspect at least a 6 month wait if it is priced well, and we wouldn't buy it if it isn't .
3) We've already waited what seems like half our adult lives to buy this new car, and are now almost out of patience.

One possibility is to just close on the diesel amaze and be done with it. Alternately, push for the petrol AT and see if we can get it earlier than next year(!). Lastly, continue the wait for ecosport.

Am thoroughly confused! She's currently using our 13 year old Santro which has almost given up!

Opinions please?
Old 7th June 2013, 22:34   #573
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

well the pricing is not revealed as of now. all the enthusiasm needs to be meaningful only after the price is disclosed
Old 8th June 2013, 03:03   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Folks,

I am seeking some advice and opinions on my situation.

My wife had booked an Amaze SMT iDtec, and she just got a call that we should come pick it up. Now there are 3 problems -
1) After a lot of persuasion, she agrees that diesel doesn't make sense (given her low mileage of 500 kms a month). She's agreed for a petrol AT instead. Honda now says that it'll be another 6 months before we get it, if we change to petrol.
2) She really digs the ecosport and wants to wait to see how much it is priced at. We would mostly buy the 1.5 AT if it is priced well. I suspect at least a 6 month wait if it is priced well, and we wouldn't buy it if it isn't .
3) We've already waited what seems like half our adult lives to buy this new car, and are now almost out of patience.

Wait, must be worth it. Ecosport is a perfect competitor to entry sedans and hatchback segment with just a lot more to offer and as far as my knowledge goes, female drivers love the raised height cars with strong road presence.

Which brings me to my passive perspective on who the actual competitors for Ecosport are. I have been holding my point all this while but this seems like a perfect scenario to explain my stand:

- I strongly feel Ecosport is competing with Hatchbacks as well as Entry level Sedans. For the same reason, it will be priced between 6-10 Lacs, to make sure it looks attractive to the potential buyers of Entry Sedans and hatchbacks, which mostly fall under this price range. Im sure, Im not the only one with this theory.

- The total market of Entry Level Sedans & Hatchbacks is much bigger than the Mid-Level Sedan & Entry Level SUV market, which makes it much more profitable for Ecosport to aim for (Someone can post some numbers if need be).

- Considering the mentality of Entry Leven Sedan & Hatchback buyers, they would prefer to get a BIGGER car in the same price, which Ecosport is clearly offering. Something similar to what Duster did in comparison to Mid-Level Sedans.

- The under 4m bracket proves the same. Why else would FORD go to such high extents (read design changes) to reduce the car size from 4+ to 4m.

- This also clears the air that it is not directly competing with Duster, which is more of an alternative to Mid-Level Sedans & Entry level SUVs.

Both are simply aiming to be better alternatives to the traditional segments in India.

P.S.
Im for sure getting Ecosport (Mars Red or White) since my Getz is turning 9 this year and cannot travel around the city to office everyday in my shiny new Black Elantra!

Last edited by zen kobane : 8th June 2013 at 03:14.
Old 8th June 2013, 04:27   #575
BHPian

Also, need help deciding the color? Go here: http://carplace.virgula.uol.com.br/i...sport-2013-35/
The Chill Metallic looks nice too, better alternative to silver.

Hey Mods, please merge this with the pevious post if need be.

Last edited by zen kobane : 8th June 2013 at 04:29.
Old 8th June 2013, 08:20   #576
BANNED

Official mailer from Ford, the programme ends on 8th June.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130608_082020.png
Views: 3426
Size:  295.1 KB

Ford did say that bookings will commence once the campaign is over, so the launch is near.
Old 8th June 2013, 10:05   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
- I strongly feel Ecosport is competing with Hatchbacks as well as Entry level Sedans. Im sure, Im not the only one with this theory.
You are not the only one. I am a little bit surprised by this comparison with Duster. In a price and size sensitive market like India where paying more is equated with getting bigger product, the Duster is much bigger. So the Ecosport will have to be priced much lower than Duster in order to sell viable numbers. Rs 10 lakh on road for top variants will be appropriate, IMHO.

Quote:
- Considering the mentality of Entry Leven Sedan & Hatchback buyers, they would prefer to get a BIGGER car in the same price, which Ecosport is clearly offering. Something similar to what Duster did in comparison to Mid-Level Sedans.
Agree, elaborated above.
Quote:
P.S.[/b] Im for sure getting Ecosport (Mars Red or White) since my Getz is turning 9 this year and cannot travel around the city to office everyday in my shiny new Black Elantra!
There seems to be high number of Getz owners in this forum, proportionately higher than its numbers on the road. I am looking at upgrade options from my Getz. Waiting for Ecosport launch and then decide among various options.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 10:44   #578
BHPian

Amongst numerous speculations on the launch date, here's my 2 cents. I spoke to a senior manager who works for ford yesterday, and he confirmed that the cars will be on the road in the 4th week of June.
He wouldn't confirm the exact launch date, but said that it will be next week.

Last edited by Gizmokid : 8th June 2013 at 10:45.
Old 8th June 2013, 11:08   #579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
Hey Ampere I suggest you write a review of your 85 bhp duster. It will help us to understand the pros and cons of that vehicle in the said engine tune. Drawing comparisons between the the duster (85 bhp) and the ecosport can then be left to the readers who are seriously considering one of the two vehicles
Yes its long due! I was planning a long term ownership directly ! Hence the delay. I am at almost 15K on the odo. However the main points that I wanted to advocate have been nicely put in some of the the Duster-Ecosport comparisons that have been published.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/renaul...enault-duster/

- Duster 85 gives you more space and I think much better city drivability.
- Ecosports is more modern and the TDCI is surely more refined than the dCI. A tad more lag though.
- FE is almost similar for both. (I consistently see 17-20 all the time)

So if you need space and are a sedate driver its the Duster 85. Talking of gadgets, look no further to Ecosport! But having said that now even the Duster has most of basic gadgets made available. Plastic quality I think its not that big a difference. You can add good leather and improve the Duster seating too.

The other thing of course is the looks. Many today buy based on looks. To me Ecosport is a head turner in a big way. Its a major attention grabber; something which I am not comfortable with. Duster is more like something which easily passes on as a face in the crowd. Hopefully once the initial euphoria on Ecosport, settles down and public is more used to seeing it, things would change.

But if you are coming from a premium hatch upgrade, I think Ecosport would beat Duster handsdown.

Last edited by ampere : 8th June 2013 at 11:11.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 11:30   #580
BHPian

Quote:
2) She really digs the ecosport and wants to wait to see how much it is priced at. We would mostly buy the 1.5 AT if it is priced well.
Alternately, push for the petrol AT
Do not even think of the Amaze AT if Ford gives that DCT auto for your million OTR. I am going to pick it even for a full lakh more.

Last edited by mkumar79 : 8th June 2013 at 11:31.
Old 8th June 2013, 11:40   #581
BHPian

[i]
Quote:

Opinions please?

Hi Geronimo,
If Ecosport pricing doesn't go well and if you can stretch your budget a bit I would say Polo GT TSI is an amazing hatch
The Price of SMT i-dtech is somewhere around 8.5L it would be really difficult for ford to price its petrol auto for OTR price of 8.5L it would be minimum 10L+
Regarding honda a couple of my friends have already cancelled booking in bangalore. I dont know whats with the attitude may be ecosport will take care of it
Old 8th June 2013, 11:56   #582
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My wife had booked an Amaze SMT iDtec, and she just got a call that we should come pick it up. 1) After a lot of persuasion, she agrees that diesel doesn't make sense (given her low mileage of 500 kms a month). She's agreed for a petrol AT instead. Honda now says that it'll be another 6 months before we get it, if we change to petrol.
Suggest you request Honda to differ on the Amaze diesel till the month end by when you will decide either to pit it up or shift to petrol AT (with a wait period).

That would give you time to figure out the EcoSport AT pricing. It may be worth waiting for and picking up. On the other hand if that too is a delayed time frame. You could pick up the Amaze diesel right now and book the Eco Sport Petrol and then sell off the Amaze Diesel in 7 months time. It should not depreciate at the normal pace as it is very much in demand and the supply is short.

A way of looking at it would be that any vehicle you buy now will depreciate in the next 7 months but the Amaze diesel is likely to depreciate the least and you can then exchange it for which ever vehicle you select.

This may imply at most a 1L Rs. Financial loss but then it may not be so much. Also if one considers the amount any other vehicle would depreciate in that initial period this may seem to be a good deal for a vehicle of your choice. Worst case stay with the Santro and wait for the vehicle of her choice.
Old 8th June 2013, 13:57   #583

Excellent review which was really informative and descriptive. We just have to see how they finally price this and if its pocket friendly I very well might go for it as an upgrade is long time coming.
-"1st post after becoming a member "
Old 8th June 2013, 14:20   #584
BHPian

Wasan Ford @Chembur, Mumbai still maintains 13th Jun as launch date..display/ TD vehicles haven't reached tough..
Old 8th June 2013, 17:38   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
You are not the only one. I am a little bit surprised by this comparison with Duster. In a price and size sensitive market like India where paying more is equated with getting bigger product, the Duster is much bigger. So the Ecosport will have to be priced much lower than Duster in order to sell viable numbers. Rs 10 lakh on road for top variants will be appropriate, IMHO.
Is size all that matters? What about quality? If you look at Duster, it is no better than a Premier Rio in terms of quality. And what about equipment? Renault seems to be stuck in the 90s. The Duster is as equipped as a bullock cart of the 70s. Do you think that the Indian customer just wants a large box with four wheels and care nothing about looks, comfort, equipment, safety and quality?

Come on, those who does not stop a moment to think before they compare the ecosport with the amaze does have a problem when somebody compares it to the Duster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks