Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 19:27   #5881
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

My take on the door lock and under body cover etc.

1) Door Lock - Am fine with the current arrangement. The door handles are well designed and I don't see them opening on their own. I do not see the need for a second door lock. Feel this is safer and better than a situation of requiring the locks to unlock in an accident based on the impact sensor - which anyways does happen here for someone wanting to help from outside. The Child lock is important to me. My child is not permitted to sit in the front seat and the rear door on his side is permanently child locked by me. - PS: we also use a child seat. I don't see it as a cost cutting measure.

2) Temp Gauge - There is a temperature alarm as well as many other alarms to indicate if something does go wrong. I don't see it as a requirement in modern cars. Can live without it. There is insufficient space in the display to accommodate it. Infact I would have preferred a bigger and much better MID instead if something better had to go in the Speedo area.

3) Plastic Engine Guard: It is anyways optional: I believe (pls. do correct me on this if you have a documented knowledge to the contrary) The Fiesta, EcoSport etc., have a engine mount design that in the case of a frontal accident results in the engine dropping down to the road (floor). This is to protect the occupants to prevent the engine (which would not crumple) from entering the cabin. A metal Guard would obstruct this action. Infact though a Plastic (ABS) guard would also obstruct in a similar manner it would not be strong enough to hold the weight of the engine and will fall down immediately - I guess even the screws will immediately give away. As a side benefit the stones hitting the plastic guard will make less noise - though that would not be a reason for the use of this material. Though the lesser weight would definitely help with FE. They are now using Plastic intakes to reduce engine weight so a engine guard in plastic is definitely logical. - Disclaimer - I have not rechecked for the pt. 3 above before posting but do remember this bit of info from the time I was checking out a fiesta previously for a friend so pls. do not ask me to share a source for this info, it is purely from memory and inference.

4) If one can't manage to keep ones children to the rear seat one has no right to complain about this to the manufacturer. This is a vehicle designed as per international norms and in many western and eastern countries one would get a very very hefty penalty if the child manages to find his/her self in the front seat. This is how it should have been in India too. I used to wear seatbelts in a car and a helmet on a bike at a time where there were no rules to the effect and believe that safety best practices need to be adopted by us without it being a rule.

Last edited by ACM : 6th December 2013 at 19:32.
ACM is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 20:01   #5882
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Doesn't look like you even tried to understand what I wrote.
To make it clearer, the comment was "kids try to open the door by pulling the latch". When we have a different lock switch, that acts as an additional layer of protection and the door will NOT be easily unlocked as in the case of the same latch doing the unlock action.
I fully understood what you said
What I meant is kids are not supposed to be in front seats, and hence it is not really an obligation from the manufacturer to provide an additional locking feature there.

Infact, ACM mentioned the point pretty well in his post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
4) If one can't manage to keep ones children to the rear seat one has no right to complain about this to the manufacturer. This is a vehicle designed as per international norms and in many western and eastern countries one would get a very very hefty penalty if the child manages to find his/her self in the front seat. This is how it should have been in India too. I used to wear seatbelts in a car and a helmet on a bike at a time where there were no rules to the effect and believe that safety best practices need to be adopted by us without it being a rule.
Old 7th December 2013, 11:33   #5883
BHPian

Stepping aside from the current debate of central locking functionality.

Went to the petrol pump yesterday with the MID DTE showing 3 Kms. My car is an ecoboost and still in run-in period showing average consumption of 10 Km/l (well i hope that will increase significantly over the coming months).

Filled her up to the brim (autostop) and the car took 50 Litres exactly.

Conclusion: When the DTE shows ZERO, the car still has about 2 Litres of pertol left in it (Since the Tank capacity is 52 Ltrs).

BHPians please share any similar observation.

Last edited by JollyPope : 7th December 2013 at 11:34.
JollyPope is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 12:04   #5884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPope View Post
Conclusion: When the DTE shows ZERO, the car still has about 2 Litres of pertol left in it (Since the Tank capacity is 52 Ltrs).
Every fuel tank has some dead space, fuel in which can't be used. I think this 2L difference you are getting is because of it.
My sincere suggestion is not to let your tank go below 1/4th mark, it may have ill effects on the engine.
Old 7th December 2013, 13:21   #5885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post

My sincere suggestion is not to let your tank go below 1/4th mark, it may have ill effects on the engine.
Can you please share more details regarding this?
I don't remember reading any such warnings anywhere.
Old 7th December 2013, 13:43   #5886
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Can you please share more details regarding this?
I don't remember reading any such warnings anywhere.
What he is referring to I guess is the fact that petrol and diesel particulate impurities (always increasing in amount as the vehicle goes through more refill cycles) tend to lie at the bottom of the tank and will be sent to the engine / injectors if the fuel level is low. Though 1/4th is too much of a safety margin 1/8 would probably be a more practical level below which one avoids filling fuel. This is a standard practice for most vehicles and the CRDI / Dicor / Common Rail kinds seem more affected by fuel impurities that the earlier DI ones.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 14:23   #5887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

What he is referring to I guess is the fact that petrol and diesel particulate impurities (always increasing in amount as the vehicle goes through more refill cycles) tend to lie at the bottom of the tank and will be sent to the engine / injectors if the fuel level is low. Though 1/4th is too much of a safety margin 1/8 would probably be a more practical level below which one avoids filling fuel. This is a standard practice for most vehicles and the CRDI / Dicor / Common Rail kinds seem more affected by fuel impurities that the earlier DI ones.
In that case isn't the intake of the fuel pump located at the bottom of the tank.
Old 7th December 2013, 14:53   #5888
BHPian

Quote:

In that case isn't the intake of the fuel pump located at the bottom of the tank.
Not necessarily.
In older cars where the fuel is delivered through carbureter, the fuel system is used to be gravity assisted(pipes connected to bottom most point of the tank).
Coming to modern age fuel injected engines, an electrical high pressure fuel pump takes up the fuel from tank. Though most of the systems have filtering units incorporated to sort out impurities, it is always advised to be careful on our part.
After all, it's just my opinion.
Old 8th December 2013, 12:09   #5889
BHPian

Finally I think I found the way to get good mileage on highway. Feather the throttle as much as you can and it gives really good mileage.

Did a ~600 kms to Nashik from Pune. Following mileages were observed
Pune - Nashik(via Narayangaon-Manchar) : 225 km , 19.1 kmpl , typical speeds 80-100
Nashik city usage 120 kms @17 kmpl
Nashik - Pune via Mumbai 275 kms , 18.3 kmpl , speeds 80-100 , 110-115 on expressway.

Overall mileage 18+ in 600 kms
niks_devil666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 12:59   #5890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk_84 View Post
Rightly said. It takes ages to educate the whole indian community to adapt latest technology and its security features. So just to make sure safety of indian passengers why can't a manufacturer customize their product keeping Indian mentality in mind? After all Indian auto market is one major for all these OEMs
I am late for the party buddy. Congrats!!! Wishing you many happy miles in your new ride. Do post some pics and start an ownership thread.
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 16:31   #5891
BHPian

Despite of the gloom from fellow members/enthusiasts regarding the delivery and price hike experiences its heartening to see that the Ford EcoSport is leading the race for the Team-BHP Car Of The Year 2013!
(That too with more that 50% of the votes!)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ar-2013-a.html

It just shows how much Indian consumer values a good product which caters to his/hers unique tastes ,needs and aspirations !
I personally loved the car from day one and owning it has been such a pleasure.
This is my first vehicle outside Suzuki/Honda family.
Not only did the package as a whole surprised me but it also ticked all my boxes.
It also helped me to meet know and learn from many fellow enthusiasts. (ecosport rules,ACM,ranjithnair,vid6639,urajkumar,naveen.raj u,XUV2390.....and many more)
All in all it has been an experience for life and one of the best decision I've taken!

Last edited by johannskaria : 8th December 2013 at 16:42.
johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 21:04   #5892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post

I am late for the party buddy. Congrats!!! Wishing you many happy miles in your new ride. Do post some pics and start an ownership thread.
Thanks Jude. Surely will collect more snaps and post it. Hope you had an awesome long trip with the beast. Thanks again for all your information provided in your previous posts. It does helped a lot during my delivery process.
Old 9th December 2013, 12:18   #5893
BHPian

Hi Guys !!

So having driven about 700 kms in my Ecosport TDCI I would like to report that i've got a mileage of 14.25 km/l (tankful to tankful method)

This was total city driving and i was even stuck in a couple of bad Delhi jams.. one for almost 2 hours !

The climate control was on throughout.. albeit on a higher temp (23/24)

I hope to get about 17-18 overall when I hit highways and also since this was the first tankful I expect it to go up in the coming days and months !
Old 9th December 2013, 12:34   #5894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask4gautam View Post
Hi Guys !!

So having driven about 700 kms in my Ecosport TDCI I would like to report that i've got a mileage of 14.25 km/l (tankful to tankful method)

This was total city driving and i was even stuck in a couple of bad Delhi jams.. one for almost 2 hours !

The climate control was on throughout.. albeit on a higher temp (23/24)

I hope to get about 17-18 overall when I hit highways and also since this was the first tankful I expect it to go up in the coming days and months !
Congrats Gautam.
Surely this gonna increase from the 2nd tankful itself and it will definately make you super happy in the mileage front. Cheers and happy driving.
Old 9th December 2013, 12:43   #5895
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, let me see if can get across a snap of the base of the tank from outside. Have it somewhere in my phone. - By the way on a side note it is made of plastic so no rusting along with the benefit of lighter weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130927_175010_resized.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 9th December 2013 at 13:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks