Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 00:24   #6166
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
6 months since launch and a 1 Lakh price increase is insane. What is Ford thinking?

In every aspect except ground clearance it is a large hatch at best and this will now play on the minds of the buyer. It is now in the same league as Vento, Verna and Rapid.
True, its a large hatch, not built to the best of quality either. I am sure the plastics in the EcoSport would start to rattle soon well before the 10K service.
The Rapid seems a very good proposition considering the deleted features from the Titanium version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Any idea on whether Ford would be offering price protection for all pre-booked customers this time around? It did leave a sour gripe and a wave of cancellations the last time prices were hiked!
Are their people who have booked prior to Jun26 and still haven't received their car?
Mr Joginder Singh & Team cares very little about us Indians. In some time it would be cheaper to import this car rather than buying it here.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 09:30   #6167
Senior - BHPian

What is their strategy? To sell in limited quantity with large margins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Any idea on whether Ford would be offering price protection for all pre-booked customers this time around?
The Ford India guy was mailing the waiting customers and discomforting them by indicating a January price and prices at the time of delivery is applicable.
Old 8th January 2014, 09:50   #6168
BHPian

After the hike xuv w4 and city diesel makes good alternatives to EcoSport.
Ford just killed one of their best products for India.
Old 8th January 2014, 10:25   #6169
Senior - BHPian

Ford ought to see tons of cancellations with the prices announced for City. The swagger should die down when 10000 of those 30000+ bookings get cancelled over next couple of months.

And the existing Ecosport owners can remain a happy lot cause their car will never go the swift way with lakhs running around on the road.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 11:06   #6170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
And the existing Ecosport owners can remain a happy lot cause their car will never go the swift way with lakhs running around on the road.
There may be another reason for cheer for existing Ecosport owners. The successive price increases () have effectively rendered almost zero depreciation, for at least the first year of ownership, and significantly reduced depreciation for each successive year.

Good for existing owners, but VERY VERY BAD MOVE FORD!
Ford should have offered price protection at least for this increase.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 11:30   #6171
Team-BHP Support

Pretty steep price hike in such a short span! And even more negative for Ford is that the timing coincides with the launch of the new City. Probably they wanted to ensure Ecosport’s premium product credentials!
I reckon the focus is completely on exports now, and this may end up in a complete fiasco for Ford if the Ecosport does not click well in Europe.
Old 8th January 2014, 11:34   #6172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
There may be another reason for cheer for existing Ecosport owners. The successive price increases () have effectively rendered almost zero depreciation, for at least the first year of ownership, and significantly reduced depreciation for each successive year...
Too early to comment! Give it two more years of consistent performance and then we can be sure of such re-sale value. This is NO Maruti or Toyota to command a huge premium in the used car market and yet to prove their credibility within the masses.

I do NOT see it happening; in the next two years, we will see more C-SUVs in the range and especially the cross-Alpha & Hyundai one. If they bring in more value as products (which I pretty much expect), then Ecosport will have trouble in used car market.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th January 2014 at 11:36.
Old 8th January 2014, 11:47   #6173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Too early to comment! Give it two more years of consistent performance and then we can be sure of such re-sale value. This is NO Maruti or Toyota to command a huge premium in the used car market and yet to prove their credibility within the masses.

I do NOT see it happening; in the next two years, we will see more C-SUVs in the range and especially the cross-Alpha & Hyundai one. If they bring in more value as products (which I pretty much expect), then Ecosport will have trouble in used car market.
Everything is relative. A person who bought the car at launch price would enjoy less depreciation that somebody who bought at hiked price. Is it so difficult to understand?

Last edited by blacksport : 8th January 2014 at 12:05.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 11:48   #6174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
True, its a large hatch, not built to the best of quality either. I am sure the plastics in the EcoSport would start to rattle soon well before the 10K service.
The Rapid seems a very good proposition considering the deleted features from the Titanium version.
I donot agree with Ecosport as a large Hatch!. It doesnot in any manner behave like a hatch or drives like a hatch.In that case Duster is a slightly bigger hatch and XUV a big hatch and so on.
If categorization is only based on the length a Tempo Traveller can be called a super large hatch.

I agree the interior quality is no match to VW/Skoda, but does feel robust and solid enough to last long.w.r.to rattling my Vento TDi has done 25K and already have couple of rattles. Quality does not always mean rattle free. Also if you closely notice the quality of certain materials in Ecosport is quite good just that they are too flashy which makes it look cheap.

I think the things where Rapid really scores over Ecosport are:
1.Sublime diesel engine with slick gearbox.
2.Extra boot space.
3.Handles better because its a car.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 12:15   #6175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

May be, only time will tell. But please do read my comments carefully.

The first observation is only for Year 1, of ownership, i.e. when there is no significant direct competition in the said market segment and there is still a lot of appetite for this vehicle. This is sure shot.

The second observation is for successive years, which can be affected by competition (pulls resale down) and vehicle performance (which way this will pull is too early to say). However, the same will ALSO be affected by higher street prices of new (pulls resale up). So, in general, you have more or less balanced parameters, unless Ecosport is horribly put together (which doesn't seem to be the case yet), and hence the observation for reduced depreciation levels.
There it is - my way of reasoning. I would love to see your counter to this.
Old 8th January 2014, 12:16   #6176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
My Ecoboost mileage update from MID reading:
Initial 900 kms it was complete city driving and got just 10 kmpl which was bit disappointing. Last weekend had a long highway trip. I reset the MID and did a very patient sedate driving from Chennai to Trichy coasting along 70 to 80 kmph max. I got 19.6 kmpl reading when reaching Trichy. From Trichy until Pollachi I did around 90 kmph and occasional 100 kmph and the overall reading dropped to 18 kmpl.
Mileage update : During December last week had a highway run of more than 1000 kms. I had my first service completed on 23rd November and during the start of this trip the odo had more than 3000 kms on it. So decided to have some spirited driving compared to my previous highway run. During the first 500 kms I had speeds ranging from 90 until 120 kmph and the mileage I got was around 14 kmpl. During the return journey, pushed the car further more. Mostly the speedo was north of 120 kmph and hit some further high speeds on empty straight stretches. It was a daytime drive and mostly empty roads (Salem to Ulundurpet), hence had the confidence. The mileage came down drastically to 11 kmpl. So more you floor the pedal of ecoboost, it drinks the petrol thirstly. I restrain from posting the top speeds achieved but believe me it is real capable vehicle. It behaves well and handling is great on straight line but on curves one has to cut the speed drastically to have good control on the vehicle.

So sedate and low speed cruising gave me 19.6 last time, whereas spirited high speed driving gives just 11 kmpl. All readings are from MID, I also measured tank to tank method which was pretty close to MID readings.
ndinesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 13:10   #6177
BHPian

Quote:
Mileage update : During December last week had a highway run of more than 1000 kms. I had my first service completed on 23rd November and during the start of this trip the odo had more than 3000 kms on it. So decided to have some spirited driving compared to my previous highway run. During the first 500 kms I had speeds ranging from 90 until 120 kmph and the mileage I got was around 14 kmpl. During the return journey, pushed the car further more. Mostly the speedo was north of 120 kmph and hit some further high speeds on empty straight stretches. It was a daytime drive and mostly empty roads (Salem to Ulundurpet), hence had the confidence. The mileage came down drastically to 11 kmpl. So more you floor the pedal of ecoboost, it drinks the petrol thirstly. I restrain from posting the top speeds achieved but believe me it is real capable vehicle. It behaves well and handling is great on straight line but on curves one has to cut the speed drastically to have good control on the vehicle.

So sedate and low speed cruising gave me 19.6 last time, whereas spirited high speed driving gives just 11 kmpl. All readings are from MID, I also measured tank to tank method which was pretty close to MID readings.
Your observation is very precise as I share very similar experience with my EcoBoost. If you just move with the inertia all the time then it can beat a diesel engine for it's mileage but if you want pace, you need to pay.

But I'd choose performance over fuel efficiency. We buy cars with bigger engines not to drive at the speed of an auto rickshaw. Do we?

Last edited by penpavan : 8th January 2014 at 13:14.
penpavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 13:37   #6178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Your observation is very precise as I share very similar experience with my EcoBoost. If you just move with the inertia all the time then it can beat a diesel engine for it's mileage but if you want pace, you need to pay.

But I'd choose performance over fuel efficiency. We buy cars with bigger engines not to drive at the speed of an auto rickshaw. Do we?
I feel the same with diesel engines too. Floor it and the mileage is around 12-13kmpl in city. For the past couple of weeks, I use a light foot and the mileage is around 15kmpl (average) but can extract around 16-17kmpl. But it's so boring to drive like this. Some spirited driving+light foot gives around 14kmpl.
Old 8th January 2014, 13:55   #6179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Everything is relative. A person who bought the car at launch price would enjoy less depreciation that somebody who bought at hiked price. Is it so difficult to understand?
1. In case of a total loss, the buyer before price hike stands to gain something extra? (Depreciation in Insurance value)

2. In the used car market, unless a buyer is ready to buy an Ecosport at a premium, how does the depreciation hold better? (Depreciation in used car market)

Everything is relative. Hope it's NOT difficult to understand!

Quote:
....The first observation is only for Year 1, of ownership, i.e. when there is no significant direct competition in the said market segment and there is still a lot of appetite for this vehicle. This is sure shot...
Agree! The point is whether this car can carry the kind of momentum a Swift or Fortuner or Innova has, till used pieces start showing up in the market (2-3 years from the initial sale date) - that's where depreciation starts to matter!

Quote:
...The second observation is for successive years, which can be affected by competition (pulls resale down) and vehicle performance (which way this will pull is too early to say). However, the same will ALSO be affected by higher street prices of new (pulls resale up)...
Whatever street prices are, unless there is a good demand for the used pieces, depreciation will show it's ugly head.

Quote:
...So, in general, you have more or less balanced parameters, unless Ecosport is horribly put together (which doesn't seem to be the case yet), and hence the observation for reduced depreciation levels...
Even I don't think Ecosport is horribly put together - but again Ford does NOT have the credibility of Toyota or Maruti to claim a premium in the used car market. Add to it, if this product loses steam on account of non-VFM tag compared to competition (in future), things would NOT be as rosy as the owners think.

I personally do NOT think any car will carry great residual values unless new ones still are on a waiting period or available at least WITHOUT discounts.

Edit:: I think I get the point well. A model sold @ Rs. 10/- is wished to have a better re-sale value because the same model is now sold at Rs. 100/-. The Rs. 10/- model can NOT aspire to have the resale value of a Rs. 100/- model unless there is a solid demand. That's what I am trying to point out. The seller can ofcourse try to demand some extra money, but it all depends on the market sentiments and luck the seller has - would be difficult to get away from an informed buyer.

Edit 2:: If I am in the market for a used car, I would pretty much check the IDV as well! So the depreciation theory does NOT work for me.

Quote:
...So decided to have some spirited driving compared to my previous highway run. During the first 500 kms I had speeds ranging from 90 until 120 kmph and the mileage I got was around 14 kmpl. During the return journey, pushed the car further more. Mostly the speedo was north of 120 kmph and hit some further high speeds on empty straight stretches....The mileage came down drastically to 11 kmpl. So more you floor the pedal of ecoboost, it drinks the petrol thirstly...
It's NOT limited to Ecoboost alone I guess. Any car pushed beyond 120 kmph will see the FE coming down drastically. It's NOT only the engine responsible for it, more factors like drag etc will come into play.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th January 2014 at 14:13. Reason: Editing extra portion as a part of refining the post.
Old 8th January 2014, 14:05   #6180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Rightly said. Performance is the sole reason for me choosing Ecoboost over 1.5 petrol and diesel engines, having driven Swift for 8 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks