Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 16:28   #6211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
I'd gone primarily to understand the impact of recent price hike (about 40k increase), however thought of checking up again on delivery status.
To my utter shock, disbelief, dismay and anger the SA and the dealership owner (who happened to be there) calmly mentioned that I should not expect delivery over entire 2014 . I would probably get my car early 2015.
I actually laughed when they first said it ...
I'm not surprised. If this is the general case, then buying Ecosport is nothing more than a bad joke. Nobody waits a year for a car, unless it is something really special. Like a customised Bentley. Do they take a whole year, even?

How many more price hikes in that year, I wonder?
Old 9th January 2014, 18:15   #6212

What I get from these massive price hikes is that Ford definitely wants to slow down the huge demand at this point of time which they are anyways not able to meet. And looking by the declining number of deliveries every month I think they are more concerned towards exports rather than serving us. With huge amount of bookings still piled up, I don't think they'll have any problem getting decent numbers till mid 2014 after which they might have increased their production capacity by a bit and also they would be in a better position to offer festive discounts to the tune of 10-20k during oct-nov if the sales start to decline. The market these days is definitely not like earlier where a single car would rule over few years. Probably another aggressively priced game changer like Honda Jazz or something else would start its race for COTY. And then probably by mid-late 2015 we'd get a facelifted Ecosport along with other 7 models that Ford has promised us.
As for the car right now it definitely doesn't feel like a hatch. Coming from the Aam Aadmi's favourite tallboy Wagon R it definitely feels a segment above. The only thing that bothers me is lack of power but then its no jag either.
Also mileage update at 4500 kms. Done by tankful to tankful method since we bought the car on 3rd Sep 2013 is 15.3 kmpl. This includes engine run in period till almost 2000kms where it was never taken above 2000rpm. It has had a few highway runs totalling not more than 2500 kms, so I would say city:highway breakup is 50:50. The only way to increase mileage is a feather foot on the gas pedal but that is definitely not how I drive my cars. Overall I am really happy with the mileage having driven petrol cars all my life and the mileage we get on our 2005 1.1 L Wagon R is not more than 11.
eco-doc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 19:06   #6213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoym View Post
...Rs.7.7 Lac on road petrol with almost no features. Does it make sense anymore?
At that price, I would look at a Swift K-Series. Should be fun to drive and will return quite a decent FE as well.

Not sure; but you may be able to lay your hands on the base version of Linea T-Jet with the ongoing discounts.
Old 9th January 2014, 19:15   #6214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoym View Post
The prices have now been revised significantly and published on the Ford Website. My own booking (1.5L Ambient Petrol) just got increased by Rs. 65,000 (taking into account the first price hike in September 2013 and in January 2014) Landing cost of vehicle will be 80,000 more than initially planned (assuming the increased registration expenses).

I have no words (now thinking if I should cancel. My car doesn't have an RPM or even power windows for the back seat). I'm probably blinded by how good it looks. But need to start thinking from the head!

Rs.7.7 Lac on road petrol with almost no features. Does it make sense anymore?
My advice. Take the 50K from Ford and walk over to the Toyota showroom. Book either the TRD Liva petrol with 1.5L 90PS or Liva top end Diesel VD SP or even the Etios V SP sedan.

All the above 3 are around 7.5L on road and offer more features than the base model EcoSport. Primarily, above 3 options get you ABS and airbags.

Second option is the i20.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 19:20   #6215
BHPian

You can call it a bigger hatch or Mini/urban SUV but it works well (for me) in every condition.

I have done 8000kms since 5th Sep (2 goa trips , 1 hyderabad trip, 2 Mumbai trips) and getiing an overall mileage of 18-19kmpl on highways and 16-17 in city.

What I love about this car
1.6 air bags , ABS , SYNC emergency system and sturdy construction : safety for me and my family
2.Cooled glove box : keeps my red bull and bottle of water cool on long journeys
3.ISOFIX : ease in using car seat
4.Boot space : good for a pram and big size suit case and a 2 body-4 lens camera bag.
5.Great music system with awesome noise insulation makes the journey less tiring
6.200 mm GC : never worry about any speed hump or getting off the road anywhere
7.Lumbar support / adjustment : comfortable highway drives (reached home at 530 today eve from Goa and still feel fresh)
8.Good handling : much better than most hatches. I was attacking and taking corners at sawantwadi and amboli ghats and was going better/faster than a cpl of cars (viz. Swift 1.3 , Verna , Vento , rapid , fabia )
9.Under seat storage : keeps my gps safe and hidden from prying eyes
10.In a diesel car if you drive to build the torque , you will get both mileage and power. I do 100-110 on highways and occasionaly pull easily in 5th upto 140-150 if needed to overtake , and I still get 18kmpl .
11. Contemporary design/style
12. Keyless entry and push button start + climate control : comfort and convenience

So which car offers all this for 11-11.5 lacs(on road) in market today?

Last edited by niks_devil666 : 9th January 2014 at 19:22.
niks_devil666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 19:39   #6216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
You can call it a bigger hatch or Mini/urban SUV but it works well (for me) in every condition.

I have done 8000kms since 5th Sep (2 goa trips , 1 hyderabad trip, 2 Mumbai trips) and getiing an overall mileage of 18-19kmpl on highways and 16-17 in city.

What I love about this car
1.6 air bags , ABS , SYNC emergency system and sturdy construction : safety for me and my family
2.Cooled glove box : keeps my red bull and bottle of water cool on long journeys
3.ISOFIX : ease in using car seat
4.Boot space : good for a pram and big size suit case and a 2 body-4 lens camera bag.
5.Great music system with awesome noise insulation makes the journey less tiring
6.200 mm GC : never worry about any speed hump or getting off the road anywhere
7.Lumbar support / adjustment : comfortable highway drives (reached home at 530 today eve from Goa and still feel fresh)
8.Good handling : much better than most hatches. I was attacking and taking corners at sawantwadi and amboli ghats and was going better/faster than a cpl of cars (viz. Swift 1.3 , Verna , Vento , rapid , fabia )
9.Under seat storage : keeps my gps safe and hidden from prying eyes
10.In a diesel car if you drive to build the torque , you will get both mileage and power. I do 100-110 on highways and occasionaly pull easily in 5th upto 140-150 if needed to overtake , and I still get 18kmpl .
11. Contemporary design/style
12. Keyless entry and push button start + climate control : comfort and convenience

So which car offers all this for 11-11.5 lacs(on road) in market today?
Exactly! And all those touting the new City, should take a look at the safety package offered in even it's top variant.
Old 9th January 2014, 20:01   #6217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

Exactly! And all those touting the new City, should take a look at the safety package offered in even it's top variant.
True. But the real debate back there was not about the top end features offered by ES v/s other cars but the bare basic variant for nearly 8L which doesnt even have four power windows. In that category there are many better options. Though the top variant is entirely in a different league.
Old 9th January 2014, 20:25   #6218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post

True. But the real debate back there was not about the top end features offered by ES v/s other cars but the bare basic variant for nearly 8L which doesnt even have four power windows. In that category there are many better options. Though the top variant is entirely in a different league.
The post I quoted and seconded was one that made a reference to a 11 lac + INR price point. That's certainly NOT the entry level variant!
Old 9th January 2014, 20:59   #6219
Distinguished - BHPian

What are wait periods for the automatic titanium in Mumbai and/or Pune?

Also what is the ex-showroom for this model after the price hike?
Old 9th January 2014, 21:08   #6220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
What are wait periods for the automatic titanium in Mumbai and/or Pune?

Also what is the ex-showroom for this model after the price hike?
Ex showroom Delhi has gone up from 8.67L to 9.04L. Waiting periods are long for the AT since it probably has lowest priority.
Old 9th January 2014, 21:18   #6221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

The post I quoted and seconded was one that made a reference to a 11 lac + INR price point. That's certainly NOT the entry level variant!
That is why i said True to what you seconded but also highlighted that we were discussing the base variant before the post you seconded :-)
Old 9th January 2014, 21:26   #6222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post

That is why i said True to what you seconded but also highlighted that we were discussing the base variant before the post you seconded :-)
There's another point you missed. Although there is a price hike and people are not liking it, there will be some cancellations but this car will still sell because of so many positives. Unless and until there is a strong competitor in the mini suv market ford is going to sell this in decent numbers.
Old 9th January 2014, 22:55   #6223
BHPian

Even i am thinking of cancelling the booking. Had booked the A/T variant before the price announcement. Already witnessed 2 price increases - may be have to go through couple more by the time the car is delivered.

The price increase would have made it costlier by nearly a lakh here, which makes a real dent on the VFM package ecosport was - compared to the safety/features it offered. Now all other automatic hatches look real VFM. Not a good dilemma to be in.

As per the dealer, I am first in line and should get allotment this month - but paying 1 more lakh for something delivered months later - all because of ford's attitude towards indian market , somehow does leave a bad taste. Its anyway taken the shine off the experience. Maybe i will go the showroom over the weekend and decide.

Cheers.
Old 9th January 2014, 23:31   #6224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post

There's another point you missed. Although there is a price hike and people are not liking it, there will be some cancellations but this car will still sell because of so many positives. Unless and until there is a strong competitor in the mini suv market ford is going to sell this in decent numbers.
Well i never said this car wont sell. All one gentleman asked was is it worth buying a 7.7L petrol vehicle which doesnt even have 4 power windows and we said he could have a much better equipped petrol car for that price. Now according to December sales chart less than 4000 ES has been sold in that month. Does this car has a potential to be sold in big numbers in India? Big Yes. Is Ford interested in selling it in big numbers in India? I dont think so. And they have a valid reason for it too. Afterall profitiblity is what every company looks for and they are not doing anything different by exporting it in big numbers and making huge money. Now how to sell in big numbers in India? They need to look at the sales chart and learn from MIL.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:55   #6225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My advice. Take the 50K from Ford and walk over to the Toyota showroom. Book either the TRD Liva petrol with 1.5L 90PS or Liva top end Diesel VD SP or even the Etios V SP sedan.

All the above 3 are around 7.5L on road and offer more features than the base model EcoSport. Primarily, above 3 options get you ABS and airbags.

Second option is the i20.
You got me thinking. I personally wouldn't touch an Etios, either booted or bootless. But if you consider further there are other options as well. So here is a list. I picked the most sold Ecosport version on TeamBHP (Titanium TDCi) for comparison.

Actually there are quite a good number of alternatives. In some cases, you have to make some compromises while you gain some.

Sedans:
Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire - 7.6L
Honda Amaze 1.5 VXMT i-DTEC - 7.8L
Toyota Etios VD - 7.9L
Nissan Sunny XL Diesel - 8.5L
Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi - 8.8L
-- Ford EcoSport Titanium 1.5 TDCi - 8.9L -- Reference point
Fiat Linea Dynamic 1.3 - 9.2L
Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZDi - 9.3L
Honda City SV Diesel - 9.7L
Skoda Rapid Elegance 1.6 TDI CR MT - 9.8L
Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX - 10L