Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 17:01   #6376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't understand comparison of air bags and "grab handles."
Its not a comparison, Thad. Its a design failure (not flaw, thought) on Ford's part that they've not been able to fit in the grab handles when the curtain airbags are provided.

And unfortunately, this means that for those customers for whom grab handles are important, they're faced with a hard choice. For instance, if I had my grandparents or parents as frequent travellers in my car, I'd have had to make the painful decision of opting for the lower variant.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 17:32   #6377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash13 View Post
Hello friends.
Pardon my ignorance but does ecosport titanium tdci come with an engine temprature gauge?? Was trying to figure out but the MID has so much info I got a bit confused.
Thanks.
It does not have a gauge for temperature but has a led Light which will come on if engine over heats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Have any one of you ecosport owners installed the DRL's?.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-india-15.html

Congrats and welcome to Team bhp
Please refer to the above link of my ownership thread for modifications and accessories including the DRLs.
You will get lot of choice to pick from.

Posting a couple of pictures for your convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Its not a comparison, For instance, if I had my grandparents or parents as frequent travellers in my car, I'd have had to make the painful decision of opting for the lower variant.
Hi arun,

I agree with Thad E Ginathom.
My dad was used to grab handles but now I got him used to seat belts and door handle.

Infact I was happy that my titanium optional did not come with grab handles as most of them are compelled to use seat belts.

In my opinion "Safety is more important than convenience"
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ecosport-drl-yellow.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-1190897d1389713284tmysilverfordecosporttitaniumotdcifirstdeliveredindiaimg20140114wa0170.jpg  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 27th January 2014 at 17:36.
ecosport rules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 18:23   #6378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
It does not have a gauge for temperature but has a led Light which will come on if engine over heats.
Given the MID has a dot-matrix display, I wish they had enabled a temperature gauge as one of the options you can scroll through using the indicator stalk. In my Getz, I use the temperature gauge to reach its normal position before I start driving harder, knowing that at that point, the engine is in its happy spot, the radiator circulation has kicked in and nothing is amiss. I lose this useful bit of info with a warning lamp.

Instead, in the EcoSport, if they had a blue LED to show the engine is cool (i.e. thermostat is blocking circulation) combined with a red LED for overheating, I'd be much happier.

Quote:
I agree with Thad E Ginathom.
My dad was used to grab handles but now I got him used to seat belts and door handle.

Infact I was happy that my titanium optional did not come with grab handles as most of them are compelled to use seat belts.

In my opinion "Safety is more important than convenience"
@ Both Thad and you, you don't need to convince me about buckling up, I'm with you on that! Here's what I posted in my ownership review:
Quote:
  • No grab rails for passengers, due to the curtain airbags. I hope this makes it easier to get back seaters to buckle up!
My point is - yes, safety is more important than convenience, but why not both? The Verna/i20 offer the combination of 6 air bags and grab handles, why not the EcoSport. I was surveyed by Ford, and gave this in my feedback.

Not letting a company know our dissatisfaction is what leads manufacturers to coolly omit stuff like dead pedals, etc.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 19:20   #6379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point is - yes, safety is more important than convenience, but why not both? The Verna/i20 offer the combination of 6 air bags and grab handles, why not the EcoSport.

with you.

1)I always emphasise on safety, happy to know you feel the same.
What I meant was when we dont have both options, choose safety over convenience.

2)My Honda city has the blue indicator for coolent temperature on start which goes off after the warm up, that would have been a nice addition on ecosport.

I tread slowly for a while before pushing the EcoSport to negate this problem

Last edited by ecosport rules : 27th January 2014 at 19:29.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 22:19   #6380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its not a comparison, Thad. Its a design failure (not flaw, thought) on Ford's part that they've not been able to fit in the grab handles when the curtain airbags are provided.

And unfortunately, this means that for those customers for whom grab handles are important, they're faced with a hard choice. For instance, if I had my grandparents or parents as frequent travellers in my car, I'd have had to make the painful decision of opting for the lower variant.
Thanks for the explanation: I had not understood.

I think handles like that can make a big difference when getting in or out of the car, probably especially for the elderly, but I suspect that they were never designed to be held onto when the car is moving. As I said before, any comfort they might give is just imaginary. But, no, I could never convince the friend that I mentioned of that!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 22:30   #6381
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks for the explanation: I had not understood.

I think handles like that can make a big difference when getting in or out of the car, probably especially for the elderly, but I suspect that they were never designed to be held onto when the car is moving. As I said before, any comfort they might give is just imaginary. But, no, I could never convince the friend that I mentioned of that!
Thad, even if one is belted up the grab handles are useful.

When driving on a hilly stretch/ghats the grab handles are extremely useful for elders to hold on to.

The point is that Ford is making us choose for something which is defacto and standard in every single car.

Ofcourse I opted for the airbags over the grab rails but everyone has pointed it out to me that the grab handles.

PS: I believe the only other car that does not have grab handles is the RR Evoque. Atleast the Ecosport is in good company
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 22:39   #6382
BHPian

Took delivery of my Diamond White Titanium optional model today after a wait of exactly 7 months. I had booked this on 27th of June from Metro Ford Bangalore.

Insurance

The dealership experience was decent, though nothing great. I opted to take insurance on my own, which to my surprise, was promptly agreed by the dealer. The insurance quoted by dealer was 42K. I got insurance for 26K from Royal Sundaram. I looked for only those companies that had cashless option with Ford. Only other insurance company that was competitive was Bharati AXA.

Extended Warranty

Some one called me from Ford and intimated that 3rd year extended warranty will be offered free of cost as a means of thanking for this long wait. The dealer, however mentioned that nothing has been communicated to them. If I get any mail from Ford, the dealer will refund the amount
n_ramesh99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 02:31   #6383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Thad, even if one is belted up the grab handles are useful.

PS: I believe the only other car that does not have grab handles is the RR Evoque. Atleast the Ecosport is in good company.

Hello Vid6639,

with the specific ghat scenario you have quoted.

BTW when is your ownership report coming out?
Meanwhile atleast post some pictures of your car with accessories you have added.

Your official review was awesome, it was as if we were having a live tour of the car and is currently the highest viewed thread on team bhp.
Kudos to you.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 28th January 2014 at 02:36. Reason: grammar corrected
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 07:43   #6384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_ramesh99 View Post
Took delivery of my Diamond White Titanium optional model today after a wait of exactly 7 months. I had booked this on 27th of June from Metro Ford Bangalore.

Insurance

The dealership experience was decent, though nothing great. I opted to take insurance on my own, which to my surprise, was promptly agreed by the dealer. The insurance quoted by dealer was 42K. I got insurance for 26K from Royal Sundaram. I looked for only those companies that had cashless option with Ford. Only other insurance company that was competitive was Bharati AXA.

Extended Warranty

Some one called me from Ford and intimated that 3rd year extended warranty will be offered free of cost as a means of thanking for this long wait. The dealer, however mentioned that nothing has been communicated to them. If I get any mail from Ford, the dealer will refund the amount
Many Congratulations n_ramesh99 on the delivery of the car after a long wait

Even I am taking my delivery this week from the same dealer. I have researched on the insurance as I am taking it on my own and not through the dealer. Bharati AXA is the least expensive at Rs. 20,500 (with 95% IDV) and Rs. 21,500 (with 100% IDV). They also said that they provide the benefit of unlimited number of claims at 0% (what does that mean and is it really a differentiating factor) They also mentioned free Road Side Assistance and all the items are covered such as plastics, glass etc.

Any specific reason you chose Royal Sundaram? HDFC Ergo is also on my list. Please help me decide as I need to buy the insurance soon.

Which accessories did you buy? And regarding the 3rd year extended warranty, do you remember the name of the person you spoke to from Ford?

Thanks.
Old 28th January 2014, 10:13   #6385
BHPian

Can someone please suggest a good headlamp upgrade for the Ecosport? I am not satisfied with the stock ones. It's too dim, especially during rains.
Old 28th January 2014, 10:41   #6386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Can someone please suggest a good headlamp upgrade for the Ecosport? I am not satisfied with the stock ones. It's too dim, especially during rains.

Hi bharat4ever,

Very true, the stock lights are pathetic

I have done the best headlight upgrade possible on the EcoSport.
It gives you atleast 300% more light without effecting the oncoming traffic. (Possible because of projectors)
Please check it out on the link below which gets you to my ownership thread.

I can guide you with other options too if you dont like it

Hope it helps.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-india-10.html

Last edited by ecosport rules : 28th January 2014 at 10:44.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 11:24   #6387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1686 View Post
Many Congratulations n_ramesh99 on the delivery of the car after a long wait

Even I am taking my delivery this week from the same dealer. I have researched on the insurance as I am taking it on my own and not through the dealer. Bharati AXA is the least expensive at Rs. 20,500 (with 95% IDV) and Rs. 21,500 (with 100% IDV). They also said that they provide the benefit of unlimited number of claims at 0% (what does that mean and is it really a differentiating factor) They also mentioned free Road Side Assistance and all the items are covered such as plastics, glass etc.

Any specific reason you chose Royal Sundaram? HDFC Ergo is also on my list. Please help me decide as I need to buy the insurance soon.

Which accessories did you buy? And regarding the 3rd year extended warranty, do you remember the name of the person you spoke to from Ford?

Thanks.
Looks like you are getting a better deal from the Bharti AXA (Hope it is for the same variant). I already have an insurance from Royal Sundaram and was happy with their dealing during a previous claim. I saw some bad reviews of Bharati AXA (But, that you will find for any insurance company. So Don't worry too much about it). HDFC Ergo does not have cashless facility with Metro Ford.

I took only two pillows as accessory (at Rs 800 each) and paid another 1000 bucks for IND number plates. The dealership did make an attempt to sell some engine guard etc. But, in fairness I should admit that they did not pressurize me for buying. I am thinking of getting an under body protective coating from 3M directly from them.

I do not remember the name of the person from Ford whom I talked to. She told me that they have already sent a letter. I was thinking that I will receive that letter, but it did not arrive at all. Apparently they never send that letter to me. I am planning to send a mail to Ford and see their response.
Old 28th January 2014, 11:48   #6388
BHPian

Quote:
Hi bharat4ever,

Very true, the stock lights are pathetic

Read through your thread. The lamps look amazing, but at this point of time it's too expensive. I would just go for a headlamp bulb upgrade right now, and switch to that gorgeous headlamp cluster when it becomes more mainstream.
Any bulb upgrade suggestions please?
Old 28th January 2014, 12:23   #6389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post

Read through your thread. The lamps look amazing, but at this point of time it's too expensive. I would just go for a headlamp bulb upgrade right now, and switch to that gorgeous headlamp cluster when it becomes more mainstream.
Any bulb upgrade suggestions please?
I upgraded to Philips extreme vision and it gives an improvement of 40-50% over the stock ones. Costed me 1050 for a pair.
sunilg33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 15:37   #6390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Ford should make more EcoSports available for Indian customers, who are longing to own one. Lengthening waiting period would not give Ford anything good, as it is going to rain compact SUVs pretty soon, as offerings from Maruti, Hyundai, Chevrolet and now even Tata are almost there. Ford should not fritter away the first starter advantage.
One of the reasons for the large waiting time is that Ford is exporting a substantial number of EcoSports. Although this was known, it kind of hit me on my recent trip to Chengdu, China where i saw more Ford EcoSports in a span of two weeks than i have seen in Bangalore!

Most Viewed