Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 17:26   #6421
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmmer View Post
I will call the dealership and ask whether I should still go for explicit charging of battery. I presumed a 700km highway trip should bring it up to the spec. No?
I would safely assume a 700 km trip is more than adequate

Quote:
What I am not sure about is, the terminal where I connected to, is actually the ground connection? Surely the real negative terminal of battery is entirely covered by ECU.
That's a good point:
Here's the page from the EcoSport manual that indicates the ground point (the bolt in the top-right image):
Name:  Jump Start EcoSport.gif
Views: 10818
Size:  65.1 KB

Your image indicates the spot you connected in a purple circle. I'm not sure if that is the ground, or if it is the bolt to the right (i.e. to the right of the phrase 'Negative Terminal' in your picture).

In any case, can you see where a short & thick wire from the negative terminal connects to? That is the place to connect the negative jumper cable. I can check on this once I'm home tonight.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 03:41   #6422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian1502 View Post
Took Delivery of Ecosport 1.5 TDCI Titanium (Sea Grey) last week . Here are some pics. Will upload some more with the leather seats that she got dressed in from Karlsson.
Congratulations, nice colour choice.
I personally like sea grey better than black.

Hope you get the red border stitching done for your leather seats.
Also get the leather stitched for the gear knob and hand brake lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and glad you got through it without any lasting or expensive damage.
Also, I believe you should connect the positive terminals of both the batteries (as you rightly did), but connect the negative of the good battery to the chassis of the dead car (and not to your dead battery's negative terminal).
Quote:
I will call the dealership and ask whether I should still go for explicit charging of battery. I presumed a 700km highway trip should bring it up to the spec. No?

Yes you are right. I read the manual after the incident and it does say connecting the negative terminal of good battery to the ground connection of vehicle with bad battery. What I am not sure about is, the terminal where I connected to, is actually the ground connection? Surely the real negative terminal of battery is entirely covered by ECU.

*Its good to know that your car is free from any kind of damage.

*As Arunphilip pointed out it is recommended that always the negative of the charged battery should be connected to the ground of the discharged car.(or else it may lead to an explosion due to the gases accumulated around the battery)

*Hemmmer has rightly connected the good battery's negative to the main ground of the car(black wire with purple line , beside the ECU bolted to the body).

*Negative of the battery is below ECU and is only accessible after the removal of ECU(intelligent design)

*Whenever the cars battery is very low due to any reason,the ECU acts cranky and a temperory malfunction occurs, it resumes to normal after the battery is charged (that is what Hemmmer has experienced-ABS and headlamp malfunction).

*700 km is more than sufficient to fully charge the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1686 View Post
Hi ecosport rules,
Can you please also recognize this one? Is it the same as power light? http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H831...productDetails
Thanks for all the help.
Sorry dude that is just a standard Hella replacement bulb and should be similar to the OEM bulb you have on your car.

What we need is called Hella powerlight [90 % more light][ 55, 60watts and the glass casing and filament is much bigger than the night breaker or extreme vision]
ecosport rules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 08:29   #6423

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I would safely assume a 700 km trip is more than adequate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
700 km is more than sufficient to fully charge the battery.
Yes. Dealership guys confirmed that a highway trip more than 500 kms is good enough to recharge the battery fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
As Arunphilip pointed out it is recommended that always the negative of the charged battery should be connected to the ground of the discharged car.(or else it may lead to an explosion due to the gases accumulated around the battery)
If that is the real reason to connect to ground instead of negative terminal, then I would place the ground terminal as far away as possible from positive terminal. But here, ground connection is very close to actual negative terminal of battery. Not sure how it helps...
Old 31st January 2014, 10:28   #6424
BHPian

Quote:
Day before yesterday I went through a rough experience which I thought should share with you all.
Thanks for that update, good you didn't try to jump start the car.

Recently during an office trip my vehicle was used as resource van to dump all bags etc. During the process I handed over the keys to a person who wanted to take out his bag and he promptly handed the key back to me.

When I returned after a few hours, I found the door unlocked, music system playing and the boot door not completed closed and the boot light on. Luckily I was able to start the car.

Question: Why cant an auto cut-off be installed that shuts down all electricals after say 1 or 2 hours if the vehicle is idle? Or is there such a system.

Another topic: Ford India's New President is Nigel Harris. Personally I happy to see Mr Singh move to US, god bless US customers.

Read on, here's the link http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/r...ew-ceos-114979

Last edited by sansvk : 31st January 2014 at 10:57. Reason: edit
Old 31st January 2014, 11:42   #6425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Question: Why cant an auto cut-off be installed that shuts down all electricals after say 1 or 2 hours if the vehicle is idle? Or is there such a system.
Without turning on the ignition, the audio shows "1 hour mode". Even though I havent tested it, I have a feeling that the audio will turn off after an hour working without the keys. Checked the manual but not mentioned anywhere so I'm a bit confused with this.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 12:20   #6426
BHPian

Ecoboost owners, here's a question:

I see that even after a very short run (0.5 to 1KM) the cooling fan starts to operate. Is that normal? Have you seen that happening in yours?

Also is this the right Hella?

http://www.vicky.in/shopping/hella-h...90-power-light

Last edited by penpavan : 31st January 2014 at 12:22.
Old 31st January 2014, 12:21   #6427

Quote:
Thanks for that update, good you didn't try to jump start the car.
I did try and succeed in jump starting the car. Perhaps my post was too long to read.

Quote:
Another topic: Ford India's New President is Nigel Harris. Personally I happy to see Mr Singh move to US, god bless US customers.
Now that was a good one.
I am indeed happy to see Mr Singh go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Without turning on the ignition, the audio shows "1 hour mode". Even though I havent tested it, I have a feeling that the audio will turn off after an hour working without the keys. Checked the manual but not mentioned anywhere so I'm a bit confused with this.
I also believe audio and courtesy lights go off after a certain duration if ignition is off. Though I haven't test it yet. I don't have enough juice in my battery to go through this dangerous test.
hemmmer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 12:28   #6428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post

I see that even after a very short run (0.5 to 1KM) the cooling fan starts to operate. Is that normal? Have you seen that happening in yours?
If the distances measured are correct, and you're talking of at least an hours break from the previous stop, then there is something wrong either in the cooling system, or more probably just a sensor. Do get it checked on priority. On ABSOLUTE priority.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 12:31   #6429
BHPian

Quote:

I am not an Ecosport owner but this can be due to ACC being on and fan running to cool off AC condenser and not water in radiator. Please check with ACC in off position.

Otherwise, 0.5 to 1km is too low for engine to reach optimum temprature and fan to kick in.
amit1234singla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 13:13   #6430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If the distances measured are correct, and you're talking of at least an hours break from the previous stop, then there is something wrong either in the cooling system, or more probably just a sensor. Do get it checked on priority. On ABSOLUTE priority.
Right, I will get this checked. Note that EcoBoost is a cast iron engine and it heats up fast and heats up a lot. I would have thought that's the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I am not an Ecosport owner but this can be due to ACC being on and fan running to cool off AC condenser and not water in radiator. Please check with ACC in off position.

Otherwise, 0.5 to 1km is too low for engine to reach optimum temprature and fan to kick in.
Good point, could be the A/C, let me make that experiment.
penpavan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 14:46   #6431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Don't even go near those lights. They are meant only for show. Light output is severely compromised just to get bluish white colour. Notice the blue coating on the bulb.

I would look for the Osram Nightbreaker unlimited instead of searching for the rare Hella's.
Unlimited is the best at least on paper. I think I am the first in this forum to upgrade to unlimited. There is a world of difference in illumination. Its whiter too.

it is a bit of expensive at the moment so NB+, which is cheaper, would do a good enough job.

AutoExpress had done a shootout on the bulbs and NB+ came on top:

Quote:
Philips X-tremeVision - 3 stars

One bulb delivered a less focused beam, with a blurred glare cut-off, which kept the wide and bright light focus away from the crucial 75-metre scoring point. The second bulb also kept the brightest light too close to the car, and this ultimately dropped the X-tremeVision down in the standings.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-mai...#ixzz2puWKKg9q

Osram takes its second victory here. It won’t be too happy with the consistency between the samples, but the penetration at the 75-metre point was way ahead of the rest.

Osram Night Breaker Plus - 5 stars

A sharply defined beam pattern kept glare well controlled and the hot spot was wide, bright and even.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-mai...#ixzz2puWVp3G4

Last edited by blacksport : 31st January 2014 at 14:51.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 15:09   #6432
BHPian

Quote:

This is the same behaviour with my EcoBoost and when I checked with service centres they are saying that this is normal. And the cooling fan runs for long like a 10 year car.
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 15:26   #6433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is the power light but you got the H7 instead of thr H4.

I ve talked to the service manager and he said the behavior of the cooling fan is normal for ecoboost engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Quote:
I also believe audio and courtesy lights go off after a certain duration if ignition is off. Though I haven't test it yet.
Guys,
I have tested it, the audio system switches off after an hour if the ignition is not on.

The lights also turn off after a while to prevent drain of the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
This is the same behaviour with my EcoBoost and when I checked with service centres they are saying that this is normal. And the cooling fan runs for long like a 10 year car.
with you, the service manager at Mody Ford said the same.
ecosport rules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 16:00   #6434
BHPian

Got a taste of Ford spares cost today. Someone banged into my house gate which in turn hit the back of my parked car. The dummy tail light assembly has broken a bit and there is also a dent.
The SA told that the entire rear has to be repainted and all the logos reattached. The approximate costs quoted are as follows
1> Left side tail light assembly(The dummy reflector without bulb) -- 2400
2> Titanium Logo -- 1700
3> Ecosport logo -- 2000
4> TDCI Logo -- 400
5> Ford Logo --1000+
6> Painting of back panel 4000

Its totalling to around 13-14 thousand. He also said that dry dent removal cant be done as the gauge of the metal is too thick.
Even though I have a zero dep Insurance I am worried about the fit and finish of things of the repair work and also the potential harassment of the car by the technicians for a week at garage.
BHPians, Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-es.jpg  

Old 31st January 2014, 16:04   #6435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Got a taste of Ford spares cost today. Someone banged into my house gate which in turn hit the back of my parked car. The dummy tail light assembly has broken a bit and there is also a dent.
The SA told that the entire rear has to be repainted and all the logos reattached. The approximate costs quoted are as follows
1> Left side tail light assembly(The dummy reflector without bulb) -- 2400
2> Titanium Logo -- 1700
3> Ecosport logo -- 2000
4> TDCI Logo -- 400
5> Ford Logo --1000+
6> Painting of back panel 4000

Its totalling to around 13-14 thousand. He also said that dry dent removal cant be done as the gauge of the metal is too thick.
Even though I have a zero dep Insurance I am worried about the fit and finish of things of the repair work and also the potential harassment of the car by the technicians for a week at garage.
BHPians, Please advise.
Cannot make out much from the picture. Indicates that damage is not easily noticeable. I suggest live with it. If you keep on repairing every dent of your car, you are preparing for another EMI. Well, almost.
penpavan is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks