Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 16:56   #6526
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thtee View Post
It can be the cold-starting problem due to the glow plug,when the chamber is not hot enough, leaving un-burnt diesel. Does it happen if after running the engine for more than 30 minutes?
My car is idled for 2mins before it even leaves the basement. Then after idling it is kept at low revs for the first 5kms. There's no way I will cross 2K rpm on a cold start.

This happens all the time even after an hour of driving.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 17:32   #6527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My car is idled for 2mins before it even leaves the basement. Then after idling it is kept at low revs for the first 5kms. There's no way I will cross 2K rpm on a cold start.
Your driving pattern is the safest I've heard yet. Its certainly not causing it.
If you've done more than 7000 - 8000 km then choking of the air filter might be the cause, as you said. Give it a go and share if it solved the issue.

Many black smokers may find it useful.
the13thtee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 19:33   #6528
BHPian

Quote:
No. Not at all. I had the Figo before this and there was never any smoke till redline.

Black smoke is usually due to less air and more diesel resulting in unburnt diesel. I'll ask to get the air filter cleaned but my car is only at 2,500kms so I doubt it is the air filter.

I have seen this black smoke on a few Ecosports now on the road but this should definitely not be normal.
On my classic Fiesta it spits out black smoke once I cross 2500 RPM and it gets thicker once it crosses 3000
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 20:25   #6529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thtee View Post
...If you've done more than 7000 - 8000 km then choking of the air filter might be the cause, as you said....
He has ruled out the air filter issue with the statement below. His car has done ONLY 2500 kms.

Quote:
...I'll ask to get the air filter cleaned but my car is only at 2,500kms so I doubt it is the air filter....
Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
On my classic Fiesta it spits out black smoke once I cross 2500 RPM and it gets thicker once it crosses 3000
Does this happen when the car is pushed or even when you are on the right gear? I notice black smoke in the new gen diesels usually when the car is pushed beyond in a lower gear than it should be. Second reason is when oil gets into the intercooler; which I don't think is the reason here.

This finding would be an interesting one to look for.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th February 2014 at 20:28.
Old 13th February 2014, 20:35   #6530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Does this happen when the car is pushed or even when you are on the right gear? I notice black smoke in the new gen diesels usually when the car is pushed beyond in a lower gear than it should be. Second reason is when oil gets into the intercooler; which I don't think is the reason here.
Good Point, I have noticed this when I am on lower gears not on 5th gear. This I have seen even in Swift/Ritz Diesel as well. I was driving a Ritz over the weekend and I observed the same there as well.
Old 13th February 2014, 20:39   #6531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Good Point, I have noticed this when I am on lower gears not on 5th gear. This I have seen even in Swift/Ritz Diesel as well. I was driving a Ritz over the weekend and I observed the same there as well.
Even my Swift use to belt out black smoke if I do hard acceleration in first & second gears in the city. But then I would bury the pedal, try to extract every bit of juice, would strain the engine & go beyond the torque band which lead to black smoke.
Old 13th February 2014, 20:48   #6532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

This finding would be an interesting one to look for.
If your in a higher gear then the rpm anyways drops so the smoke is not seen.

Even if I am in third or fourth, the moment the revs cross 2,500rpm there is smoke.

Smoke under full acceleration with gas pedal buried or at very high rpm's is noticed in diesel engines but in this case even if you don't bury the pedal and are gently accelerating without an upshift in the same gear you will see the smoke.

Hard acceleration is due to more fuel being injected but not burnt causing smoke.

Intercooler point is interesting. Looks like I'll need the Ford guys to look into it.
Old 13th February 2014, 21:25   #6533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Sunny 1974, Which car do you own?

Most manufacturers charge for consumables during the "FREE" services.

If they make it free, then it would increase the price of the vehicle. The cost would be compounded by excise duty, state VAT, registration charges, etc.

Ford provides 2 free services for Ecosport. The 1st is 3 months or 2,500 Km (whichever is earlier), and second at 1 year or 10,000 Km (whichever is earlier). There are no consumables during the 1st service.
I have a ecosport At just delivered a fortnight ago. I also got a form for the service holiday. as posted on here you can see it includes engine oil air filter and oil filter etc. The service holiday is for 3 years. On asking the sales person he told me you are in any case getting 2 services free. so this is just for the 3rd service.Which implies the 1st 2 services are indeed free with oil?
Other wise the service holiday would include the consumables.
My other car is a german which implies not a single iota or freebies service wise.But indeed I have forgotten how it is from the good old maruti days when free service meant actually free oil changes.
Old 13th February 2014, 23:18   #6534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
I have a ecosport At just delivered a fortnight ago. I also got a form for the service holiday. as posted on here you can see it includes engine oil air filter and oil filter etc. The service holiday is for 3 years. On asking the sales person he told me you are in any case getting 2 services free. so this is just for the 3rd service.Which implies the 1st 2 services are indeed free with oil?
Other wise the service holiday would include the consumables.
My other car is a german which implies not a single iota or freebies service wise.But indeed I have forgotten how it is from the good old maruti days when free service meant actually free oil changes.
As far as I remember (between 97-till date, with Maruti or tvs or suzuki or hyundai or Tata or Honda or skoda), free service is restricted to 'free labour' only. Oil change or any consumables are charged on actuals. Perhaps, Ford is being generous with free oil change!!
Old 14th February 2014, 02:23   #6535
BHPian

Went to inquire about the Ecosport a couple of days back at Delhi Ford, Bhikaji Kama Place. The attitude of the executive was nothing to talk about. Never bothered about explaining any features during the test drive.

The above mentioned was no surprise as have read & heard about the high-handed attitude of Ford dealers from many including Team-BHP. However, what was shocking was they demanded a booking amount of Rs.3,00,000/- for the diesel and a waiting period thereafter for minimum 3 months. And if I made the full payment in advance then the waiting period would come down to 60 days. In addition the extra accessories (mud flaps, mats, etc.) were a compulsory buy which were priced ridiculously, and I was not allowed to get the insurance done on my own.

As much as I like the car, for me one of the most important thing during any purchase is trust in the brand. There is no way I am getting a ford in my garage for a good number of years. Will now continue my search elsewhere.
Old 14th February 2014, 08:06   #6536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan_g View Post
Went to inquire about the Ecosport a couple of days back at Delhi Ford, Bhikaji Kama Place. The attitude of the executive was nothing to talk about. Never bothered about explaining any features during the test drive.
Can you give Harpreet Ford - Dilshad Garden a try? The GM Sales over there, Mr. Praveen Sharma, is a most helpful and customer-centric guy, and he always treated me fairly. He mostly has a decent sales team, although a couple of blokes are quite arrogant.
Old 14th February 2014, 08:21   #6537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone here with a diesel Ecosport noticing excif there is excessive black smoke on acceleration or downshifting? Sedate driving is ok but once I cross 2,500 rpm and push it a little, I can see the smoke being thrown into the cars behind me.

First service coming up so wanted to get this issue fixed.
My car does that whenever I floor the accelerator. Now I am not sure if it is excessive smoke or is it the dust that is blown since exhaust is placed facing the ground.
Old 14th February 2014, 08:59   #6538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
As far as I remember (between 97-till date, with Maruti or tvs or suzuki or hyundai or Tata or Honda or skoda), free service is restricted to 'free labour' only. Oil change or any consumables are charged on actuals. Perhaps, Ford is being generous with free oil change!!
I got this form from the dealer. They will forward it to ford to get the benefits.
I think it clearly mentions that consumables are included.
This form is for the dealer and the customer just has to sign it. Anyone who has got the service done till now can confirm if it includes the oil etc?
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_20140212_174634.jpg  

Old 14th February 2014, 09:55   #6539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
I got this form from the dealer. They will forward it to ford to get the benefits.
I think it clearly mentions that consumables are included.
This form is for the dealer and the customer just has to sign it. Anyone who has got the service done till now can confirm if it includes the oil etc?
This is covered under "Service Holiday Plan" as indicated on the top of the form. As mentioned on the form, it is being offered complimentary to people who booked before Sep 2013 and got deliveries post Jan 2014, i.e. had to bear the brunt of two rate hikes.

By the way, Ford offers the following types of plans which can be purchased. Details available on their web-site. Each of these comes with multiple options eg. 2 year/ 20,000 Km; 2 year/ 40,000 Km, etc. So its best to take a plan which suits your usage else you will end up paying more for it.
  • Service Holiday
  • Extended Warranty
  • Scheduled Service Plan
  • Total Maintenance Plan

Last edited by risga : 14th February 2014 at 10:00. Reason: To provide more clarity to the issue
Old 14th February 2014, 10:04   #6540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
You have opted for a Service Holiday Plan for which you have charged already. Or rather the dealer has sold it to you and earned a commission without you realizing this. Check your invoice.

Ford offers the following types of plans. Details can be had from their web-site. Each of these comes with multiple options eg. 2 year/ 20,000 Km; 2 year/ 40,000 Km, etc. So its best to take a plan which suits your usage else you will end up paying more for it.
  • Service Holiday
  • Extended Warranty
  • Scheduled Service Plan
  • Total Maintenance Plan
No I have not opted for anything. Read the letter again carefully. It is a form to be filled to get the holiday package complimentary. its written clearly that its to compensate people who got hit 2 times from the price hike. What I could not understand was if the usual 2 free services included consumables etc? And if 2 services meant 1 year each. The delivering representative mentioned that 2 are free and you will get the 3rd free. Things will be clearer when they actually sign and give me the documents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks