Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-508.html)

Guys, the Ecosport can negotiate bad and flooded roads better than other hatchbacks and sedans, but it is important not to get carried away and try something drastic. Always stay on the safer side. For one the exhaust pipe under the body hangs a bit too low. Again, the advertised 500mm water wading capability does not seem to have worked for at least one person. So excercise caution.

Copy-pasting from another forum. This incident occurred in 2013.

Quote:

Dear Ford,

I have purchased a brand new Ford Ecosport on 27th August(delivered). Today while I was returning home, travelling back home, there was water logged due to rain in the road abt 250-300 mm max (Haldiram Airport Kolkata) and the car got stuck in the middle of the road.
It was a very busy road as its the airport connector, all other cars including small cars like Maruti 800, Alto Tata Nano etc went through without any problem at all. It was really embarrassing to see that a so called mini suv was stuck whereas small hatchbacks were passing without any problems. It was a major security concern as I was with my Mother and there were some street teenagers who surrounded the car and wanted money to push the car off the water. Then I had to pay then Rs 1000 to do the same just to push about 50 m on the flyover. Then I called Road Side Assistance immediately and they came in after 2 hrs and even the toe car driver was surprised how a car can get stuck in such a normal water logging (atleast in that area),no doubt rest of Kolkata was water logged today.
Even my brother's i10 passed over the exact same road with out any problem at all after some time. But he did mention there was another Black Ecosport which was also stuck there in the same place I was stuck.

The car was Toed to the Ganges Ford Service Center near Park Circus, where it was handed over to Mr Bhaskar the Plant Manager. He then called me and said that water had gone In the engine from the FRONT. He also mentioned that he will check it on Monday and let me know if it will be covered under warranty or not.He mentioned the engine may have been Ceased. I am really surprised how an Urban SUV with 200 MM GC and 550 MM water wading capability ceases with abt 300mm of water. I was really not happy with this statement as it was not at all my fault and I really do not expect such a statement from a reliable and global brand like FORD. Instead of comforting and supporting me he make me more worried. This is the first time I was worried since almost 8 yrs for my driving exp with Hyundai and Maruti.

I would really request you to please have some expert from FORD India look into this case personally as to tell you honestly I really do not Trust the Service Workshop people as they are looking for different ways of earning. I really need the car for my daily commute to office which is about 20kms away as I travel late nights mostly after 11pm.

Just to let you know I am one of the first pre bookers of the car. I am very new to the Ford Family.

Thanks
Anirban Sinha

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksport (Post 3475761)
Guys, the Ecosport can negotiate bad and flooded roads better than other hatchbacks and sedans, but it is important not to get carried away and try something drastic. Always stay on the safer side. For one the exhaust pipe under the body hangs a bit too low. Again, the advertised 500mm water wading capability does not seem to have worked for at least one person.

This is extremely surprising! I have always been under the impression that the Ecosport scores over all the other vehicles (barring SUVs/offroaders). Was it a problem with that particular Ecosport? And did Ford address the issue?
He claims small hatches sailed through that patch!!:Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruchirtnt (Post 3475609)
Hi, i installed Garware sun films. you can also look for 3M range of films as well

Hey thanks for the input. Can you also tell me how much did it cost and also what is the temperature retaining percent and visibility percentage?

Also how is your exp with garware?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilful (Post 3475867)

This is extremely surprising! I have always been under the impression that the Ecosport scores over all the other vehicles (barring SUVs/offroaders). Was it a problem with that particular Ecosport? And did Ford address the issue?
He claims small hatches sailed through that patch!!:Shockked:

Ford "eventually" repaired it free of cost. For the whole story, please do a search. I can't post a link here.

I am not saying that it will happen to everybody. Just warning not to get carried away. If there is a lane/road that is less broken, or if there is a way around the pool of water, please take that. Err on the safer side.

Somebody there mentioned that - diesel vehicles are more prone to get engine seizures due to water, as it has to intake air as opposed to petrol vehicles where spark plugs ignite the fuel.
I wonder if this is true - in which case the petrol Ecosport has wading capabilities closer to the claimed figure maybe?:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilful (Post 3475968)
Somebody there mentioned that - diesel vehicles are more prone to get engine seizures due to water, as it has to intake air as opposed to petrol vehicles where spark plugs ignite the fuel.

Sorry buddy, didn't get this. Can you explain it a bit clearly. Apologies.

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilful (Post 3475968)
I wonder if this is true - in which case the petrol Ecosport has wading capabilities closer to the claimed figure maybe?:)

Can you quote the post which mentions that?
Both engines have to take in air. Just that one has a plug, and one doesn't.

I think the owner of the eco may have been a bit exuberant going into the water and breached the intake(?).

Why does the ecosport not have an engine temperature gauge and powered ORVMs? And why just one trip-meter?

Why Ford?! :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3475973)
Sorry buddy, didn't get this. Can you explain it a bit clearly. Apologies.

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 3475984)
Can you quote the post which mentions that?
Both engines have to take in air. Just that one has a plug, and one doesn't.

I think the owner of the eco may have been a bit exuberant going into the water and breached the intake(?).

I quoted from the same forum from which blacksport gave this information. It did sound strange hence I thought I would get the car savvy folk to throw light.:)
This is what the person said - "I had the same happen to me with my other vehicle, Mahindra Xylo. It got stuck while small hatchbacks made it with ease. I believe diesel vehicles are more prone to get engine seizures due to water, as it has to intake air as opposed to petrol vehicles where spark plugs ignite the fuel (technical noob here so correct me if wrong"

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilful (Post 3476127)

This is what the person said - "I had the same happen to me with my other vehicle, Mahindra Xylo. It got stuck while small hatchbacks made it with ease. I believe diesel vehicles are more prone to get engine seizures due to water, as it has to intake air as opposed to petrol vehicles where spark plugs ignite the fuel (technical noob here so correct me if wrong"

Thank you wilful to repost with the quote.

Coming back to this logic by that guy is silly. So by his theory diesel is burnt by air whereas petrol is burnt by spark plugs. Just don't understand the connection of "air intake" and "spark plugs".

Engine seizure is mainly due to water entering the engine via the exhaust system when the driver panics and releases the throttle causing the water to enter as pressure of water is more. This can be avoided if the engine is kept revved be in gear or neutral.

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3476131)
Thank you wilful to repost with the quote.

Coming back to this logic by that guy is silly. So by his theory diesel is burnt by air whereas petrol is burnt by spark plugs. Just don't understand the connection of "air intake" and "spark plugs".

Anurag.

Anurag, there is a small correction to this: petrol needs spark plugs to ignite whereas diesel doesnot and flashes with air. That's why you never replace spark plugs in a diesel vehicle because there is none!

Is anyone here having a Ecosport A/T ?

Any issues so far with the DCT etc ?

Also any active threads on it here on team-bhp ? If yes please help me with the links.

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorlover (Post 3476255)
That's why you never replace spark plugs in a diesel vehicle because there is none!

We do have glow plugs in diesel engines. And we do replace them though not as frequently as spark plugs. :)

I am sure Anurag knows that since he owned a Ritz diesel before and owns a Swift diesel now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 3476260)
Also any active threads on it here on team-bhp ? If yes please help me with the links.

Here you go:

Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Ownership Review

Ford EcoSport 1.5P AT : Owner's Review

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksport (Post 3475761)
Again, the advertised 500mm water wading capability does not seem to have worked for at least one person. So excercise caution.

Copy-pasting from another forum. This incident occurred in 2013.

This incident happened in my city. Feel sorry for those owners.
I happened to go through the owner's manual of this car and came across this:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-manual.jpg
No where in the manual did it speak of 550 mm water wading capability.
Instead they insisted the owners to drive at not more than 200mm of water that too at a max speed of 10km/hr.

They have mentioned the 550 mm waterwading part in the brochure and in the official blog:

Name:  Brochure_snip.PNG
Views: 10359
Size:  212.6 KB

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-groundclearance.jpg

Source: Driving Ford - Ecosport