Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-53.html)

Spoke to two dealers, one in Noida and another in Delhi, about showroom display piece and booking. None has showroom display piece and both quoted different booking amount.

One dealer said booking amount Rs.1 lakh (one lakh) and Rs.3000 cancellation charge. Second dealer said booking amount Rs.3 lakh (three lakh:Shockked:)! No cancellation charge. Phew!

On a different note, I am amazed that lots of people are booking just by seeing pictures and videos of the car. Must be just like online shopping, but in that case you at least know the price. Not for me: different stroke for different folks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3150204)
White streak bulbs look to be the LED DRL's which are not present. I'm not sure but sound like that. Take a look at the review of pics of where the LED DRL's are supposed to be.

Although for fitting LED DRL's I think you need a new headlamp unit completely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopriobharath (Post 3150205)
White bulb is something like the ones seen in Audis.

There seems to exist some thing namely "PHILIPS Whitestreak Bulbs Kit (HL, Fog, Park)" for Figo already.

Quote:

Function
  • Emits bluish white streak of light similar to expensive and CMVR unapproved HID Kits
Feature
  • Bluish white streak of light
  • Replacement type of bulbs
  • Compatible for Figo
  • Comes as a set of parking lamps, head lamps & Fog lamps
Benefit
  • Adds a gizmo feature for Figo
  • Cost effective solution in lieu of the unapproved expensive HID kits

source:www.india.ford.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by damager21 (Post 3150226)
White streak bulbs are a replacement for stock bulbs which you get as a default with your headlights. So instead of yellow light, you get bluish white light.

Its like replacing those traditional bulbs in your house which gives yellow light with CFL bulb which is more brighter like tube lights and give white light.

PHILIPS Whitestreak Bulbs Kit is available for Figo

Function
Emits bluish white streak of light similar to expensive and CMVR unapproved HID Kits

Feature
Bluish white streak of light
Replacement type of bulbs
Compatible for Figo
Comes as a set of parking lamps, head lamps & Fog lamps

Benefit
Adds a gizmo feature for Figo
Cost effective solution in lieu of the unapproved expensive HID kits

That's what I thought first as well. The Figo so called white streak bulbs cost 2K for the kit and are absolutely useless.

I got the Osram NB+ and those are way better.

I was thinking the DRL's maybe available with a more expensive lamp unit but only available as exchange when new.

And those lamps are not some special lights. Ford sells the Philips universal H4 bulbs blue vision as these white streak lights. The exact same bulbs with same serial number are available at less than half the price outside.

I hoep people don't get fooled by this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guite (Post 3150227)
Spoke to two dealers, one in Noida and another in Delhi, about showroom display piece and booking. None has showroom display piece and both quoted different booking amount.

One dealer said booking amount Rs.1 lakh (one lakh) and Rs.3000 cancellation charge. Second dealer said booking amount Rs.3 lakh (three lakh:Shockked:)! No cancellation charge. Phew!

Sitting on 3 Lac for a month an half would work out to interest gains that are anyways be more than the Rs. 3000 cancellation charge.

Sitting on 3L for 3 months - say you get the vehicle towards the end of the 3 month initial order quota period would imply even more benefit for the dealer.

I guess the dealer quoting 3L has already filled up his booking quota and what the heck he can ask for the amount and get away with it now, and worst case will get sufficient orders when the prices are announced.

Ford should prevent these malpractices from Dealer end.

Well, while Ford seemed to have announced official booking on twitter(as mentioned by other fellow BHPians), I chatted with Ford rep on their website chat and here's the conv :-

Me : Hi,Wanted to know Ecosport bookings. Is it officially open?
Ford Rep : Booking dates will be announced closer to the launch. Meanwhile, you can sign up here on http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosp...ep-me-informed to help us keep you informed about the launch.
Me: but I heard that ford has announced on Twitter through their official handle that dealers are taking booking? Is it not true?
Ford Rep : Ford India has not opened bookings for the EcoSport yet

Me: also, are the colors etc information available?
Ford Rep : This information will be available after the official launch
Me: so when is the launch?
Ford Rep :: Unfortunately we currently do not have any information with regard to the launch of Ford Ecosport.

I'm also getting frustrated with damn launch. There's a limit to patience, even for the most ardent Ford fans. :-(

Couple of points that I noted yesterday. Something like long ownership report even though I'm not the owner. But since this vehicle was used extensively, it can be counted as one.

1) Two doors had a thud feel when shut (like VWs) but other two doors were very flimsy when shut. Door was light and the sound reminded me of an old m800. Feel wasnt good.
2) Audio quality was nothing as compared to the TBHP test report. Guess after extensive usage, the speakers didnt sound very promising. Low spec speaker kind of quality.
3) Cabin noise was evident even for Ecoboost engine. Lack of engine cover? I expected Honda like feel when inside.
4) Steering is very light. TBHP review was spot on! But joy to hold that wonderfully sculpted steering wheel.
5) Driver side ORVM glass tends to protrude out too much from the casing. Looks odd (forgot to take the snap)
6) High GC clearly visible. Inside feel is like any other hatch but when you get out you will get to feel the high GC. Huge plus.
7) Boot door feels solid. Opening is easy and it's built to last. Opens wide 90 deg.
8) Dash plastic quality is average especially the top section. Same for the head unit. The CD slot gap was irregular in this model. Lower spec model wont have CD player only Titanium models will have.
9) Instrument cluster too small IMO and the dash screen is too far away. Direct sunlight will be a problem. The dot matrix kind of display is a big let down.
10) AC is a big plus. Cooled the cabin pretty quickly.
11) Engine start/stop - Cool
12) Power window buttons - Good quality.
13) Soft Clutch
14) Storage space - Nothing great to talk about
15) Driver armrest - Small. Wish they could have included the ones seen mid range sedans which has got storage.
16) Boot space - Decent but the tray is flimsy. Wont hold heavy objects.

These are some of the points that I noticed for a vehicle that's been used for sometime now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3150285)
1) Two doors had a thud feel when shut (like VWs) but other two doors were very flimsy when shut. Door was light and the sound reminded me of an old m800. Feel wasnt good.

Is it both front doors which are heavy? Please do not tell me no!

Did not know you were playing around in ECO BOOST, else we would have called for a quick meet :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacs (Post 3150305)
Is it both front doors which are heavy? Please do not tell me no!

Did not know you were playing around in ECO BOOST, else we would have called for a quick meet :D

Driver door and rear right door sounded flimsy. Other two doors were solid. Heavy as in it was well built and felt solid like VW cars. It's actually good. The other doors sounded like m800 doors. Lack of quality kind of feel. Excessive use might have caused this since this car has clocked well over triple digit kms.
Everyone knew that I was going to check out the vehicle but didnt come since no TD vehicle was available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3150312)
Driver door and rear right door sounded flimsy. Other two doors were solid. Heavy as in it was well built and felt solid like VW cars. It's actually good. The other doors sounded like m800 doors. Lack of quality kind of feel. Excessive use might have caused this since this car has clocked well over triple digit kms.
Everyone knew that I was going to check out the vehicle but didnt come since no TD vehicle was available.

I didn't notice any such case while handling 2 Ecosports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykc78 (Post 3149673)
I got a call from Metro Ford bangalore yesterday saying that they are taking the bookings. We can book ecosport by paying 50K. They informed me that the launch is anticipated to be 17th June if not 20th June is 100% the launch date.

Will be going to Metro ford tomorrow to book the ecosport.

Had been to metro ford and booked echo boost titanium(O). The sales guy informed there are around 150 bookings and around 60 for diesel, 30 for ecoboost and 10-20 for the petrol. All are approximate he did not confirm on the records anything.
The booking amount is 50k and everything is ready to the launch between 17 to 20 June. TD vehicle would be available by last week of June. He also mentioned ford had informed that only 20 ecoboost vehicles in the first 3 months. Was pushing hard for the diesel variant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guite (Post 3150227)
On a different note, I am amazed that lots of people are booking just by seeing pictures and videos of the car. Must be just like online shopping, but in that case you at least know the price. Not for me: different stroke for different folks.

I went ahead and booked a Diesel Titanium, Diamond white variant. I am one of those who went to a mall when Ecosport was on display. I have seen an Ecosport in real, touched it and felt it. i spent considerable amount of time with the Ecosport in the mall. Only thing that I need to do now is a Test drive which I assume will be great. Even if it doesn't I will just cancel it. So this is not like online shopping atleast to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitinr30 (Post 3150267)
Well, while Ford seemed to have announced official booking on twitter(as mentioned by other fellow BHPians), I chatted with Ford rep on their website chat and here's the conv :-

The person i chatted with mentioned that it is official.

Attaching here is the list of accessories received from the dealer. He just received it in the morning and he had no clue what certain items were. The prices mentioned are Delhi MRP and he said Bangalore prices will be a bit more than what is mentioned.

Overall I found the prices on the higher side. 8K for the spare wheel cover. Safari owners, how much did the cover cost to you?

Sorry for the quality of the pic. I just had a copy of it and took a photo of the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3150285)

2) Audio quality was nothing as compared to the TBHP test report. Guess after extensive usage, the speakers didnt sound very promising. Low spec speaker kind of quality.

Were the windows in the doors rolled up all the way? If the window is a little down, it sounds really rattly. The same is seen in my Figo and Altis. The doors in the EcoSport are pretty heavy and felt well built.

Audio quality depends a lot on the settings. Initially we were disappointed by it but after we played around with the setting there was a sea of difference in the audio quality and thump.

I just noticed something in the Accessories list above. In the second picture, I see No. 6 'Protection Pack' which includes 'engine guard'. You also get it separately for 3k

So Ford is going to charge us around 10 lakhs for a car and then ask us to shell out an additional 12k if I feel that my car's engine and spare wheel requires protection. :Frustrati

And looking at that long list of optional equipment, I won't be surprised if my 'dream' EcoSport would tickle the Duster 110 RxL (o)'s OTR price-tag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 3150207)
The Wheel Cover though does not seem needed considering the really nice alloy on the spare wheel.

It'll look nice only if the tyre is new and polished. Once the spare is mounted back after it's done some kms and is dusty, it's not going to be a good sight. The cover will give it a nice clean look. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 3150478)
I just noticed something in the Accessories list above. In the second picture, I see No. 6 'Protection Pack' which includes 'engine guard'. You also get it separately for 3k

So Ford is going to charge us around 10 lakhs for a car and then ask us to shell out an additional 12k if I feel that my car's engine and spare wheel requires protection. :Frustrati

And looking at that long list of optional equipment, I won't be surprised if my 'dream' EcoSport would tickle the Duster 110 RxL (o)'s OTR price-tag.

You are true here, I booked the accessories along with my booking and the accessories topping to around 1 L (Reverse parking camera, Comfort pack, protection pack, bonnet protection, rear spoiler, and the list goes on). I am feeling that by having this much accessories as an option, the price of the car will be less. Plus customers are getting an advantage of Insurance and road tax to be paid less.