Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 12:52   #7996
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
So if one decides to go for just the bulbs and not HIDs, is it better to go for a projector setup or just stick to the reflectors?
I would say normal bulbs for reflectors and HID's for projectors. This is just my personal opinion from what I have experienced from using different combinations.
Old 8th September 2014, 13:14   #7997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I would say normal bulbs for reflectors and HID's for projectors. This is just my personal opinion from what I have experienced from using different combinations.
I think projector arrangement has more to do with giving a focused light output that falls in the area of the road that it is designed to throw light and hence you get your area of interest getting illuminated better and other areas not so. This also helps in avoiding glare to the vehicles coming in the opposite direction.

There is website that throws more light on this topic. You may also refer to Wikipedia.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/hea...ned-1262237738
Old 8th September 2014, 13:29   #7998
Distinguished - BHPian

A small update: Felt covering in the wheel arch

Many owners might have noticed that there's a felt cloth covering in each wheel arch. Here's what happens in the long run. This felt cloth tends to soak up water and becomes heavy to the point where the clips wont be able to support the weight. In my cousins ride, it gave way and he found it resting on the tyre (good thing he didnt drive the car as it may end up coming off and getting stuck in the wheel causing further damage). To repair this, it's around 1k+ for a single wheel arch. Luckily it was covered under warranty and he only had to pay for the clips. After this incident, I checked my car and it seems the felt covering is a bit loose. Think I will have to fix this during my next service. So look out for this guys!
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 14:27   #7999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
A small update: Felt covering in the wheel arch Many owners might have noticed that there's a felt cloth covering in each wheel arch. Here's what happens in the long run. This felt cloth tends to soak up water and becomes heavy to the point where the clips wont be able to support the weight. In my cousins ride, it gave way and he found it resting on the tyre (good thing he didnt drive the car as it may end up coming off and getting stuck in the wheel causing further damage). To repair this, it's around 1k+ for a single wheel arch. Luckily it was covered under warranty and he only had to pay for the clips. After this incident, I checked my car and it seems the felt covering is a bit loose. Think I will have to fix this during my next service. So look out for this guys!
It's the same with my car as well, for some reason after first service the rear left side became so loose that a portion of it scrape the tyre causing it to further loose it's stiffness . Believe that there should have been more clips to hold to prevent this from happening.

1k is to replace the whole felt with new one or to repair the old one ?
Old 8th September 2014, 14:35   #8000
BHPian

Quote:
A small update: Felt covering in the wheel arch

Many owners might have noticed that there's a felt cloth covering in each wheel arch. Here's what happens in the long run. This felt cloth tends to soak up water and becomes heavy to the point where the clips wont be able to support the weight. In my cousins ride, it gave way and he found it resting on the tyre (good thing he didnt drive the car as it may end up coming off and getting stuck in the wheel causing further damage). To repair this, it's around 1k+ for a single wheel arch. Luckily it was covered under warranty and he only had to pay for the clips. After this incident, I checked my car and it seems the felt covering is a bit loose. Think I will have to fix this during my next service. So look out for this guys!
Happened with mine too
Had taken it to the service centre.They told that they have put it across Ford and we might get a solution soon.The newer Ecosports have a slightly different material(less water absorbing and so stays more stiff).So this is going to be a problem for the early Ecosports and will be more problematic in places like Kerala with incessant rains.
What the they did for me was to put an extra screw with washer to hold the thing in place

Wish they replace it with something proper
jojoinassi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 14:43   #8001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Felt covering in the wheel arch
I checked my car and it seems the felt covering is a bit loose.
Great - now I feel like running down to my car in the office basement just to check this

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
What the they did for me was to put an extra screw with washer to hold the thing in place
And what is the screw affixed to? The metal of the wheel well? If yes, did they take any precaution to protect the metal from rusting at the hole?
Old 8th September 2014, 14:47   #8002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Great - now I feel like running down to my car in the office basement just to check this

And what is the screw affixed to? The metal of the wheel well? If yes, did they take any precaution to protect the metal from rusting at the hole?
I had asked them specifically about the same. They told it won't be a problem.
Keeping my fingers crossed
jojoinassi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 14:50   #8003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
1k is to replace the whole felt with new one or to repair the old one ?
1k to replace it with a new felt and clips for one wheel arch. This is noticeable for the rear wheel arch as the area is more.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 17:19   #8004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Airbag compatible seat covers are available from a lot of car makers. One can be cynical about whether they are tested properly, but then, you can be cynical about almost anything, including the airbags themselves.

This seat covers they are selling looks like a genuine accessory, and has a part no. I called the dealer and checked. After trying to sell me third party covers, when I insisted that he look in the inventory for the particular part no, they confirmed that it exists, at 7100 per set plus 800 for fitting. Am going to check it out, and buy only if the airbag compatible tag is present on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It would take expert design and proper testing, and the testing alone would waste quite a few expensive airbags*. Call my cynical, but it doesn't seem very likely to me.

*And maybe a vehicle or three!

~
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
I don't think they would be from Ford, would be a ford dealer sourced option. I bet ford too wouldn't advise any kind of seat covers. Coming to the second point of whether they are tested, I'd seriously doubt that....

Check out the following URL, with the difficulty in sueing someone if something goes wrong, I doubt our seat cover makers would be too concerned about ensuring their seat covers won't adversely affect the airbag operation.

http://www.deploysafe.com.au/About_U...at_Covers.aspx
I have to agree with blacksport here. I mean testing even front airbags will cost them Airbags and cars. So adding a seat cover to test the side airbag and the seat cover compatibility will not hurt them more.

Also curious - if the front passenger airbags are strong enough to deploy though the dashboard made of plastic, why wouldn't the side airbag tear through a seat cover which has been provided by the company?
bharathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 19:40   #8005
Senior - BHPian

Finally got my Mars Red Ecosport Trend Petrol 1.5 MT, after 3 months of waiting.

It's been worth the wait, love most things about the car:

Attachment 1284753
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20140907_174337121.jpg  

mooza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 21:22   #8006
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post

... ... ...

Also curious - if the front passenger airbags are strong enough to deploy though the dashboard made of plastic, why wouldn't the side airbag tear through a seat cover which has been provided by the company?
No, they don't, and if they did you would have shards of plastic in your face. The dashboard is designed to open up under the force of the airbag. To be honest, I have always wondered where that panel goes, but I'm pretty sure it is designed to fall away. In our faces would defeat the object of the airbag.
Old 8th September 2014, 22:07   #8007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Finally got my Mars Red Ecosport Trend Petrol 1.5 MT, after 3 months of waiting.
Congratulations on your car. That colour is like a chameleon... in this picture there's no hint of the orange, instead it appears like a mature red
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 13:59   #8008
BHPian

Completed the 30k Service at 28k and the Bill was 6564. Service was done at Metro ford hesarghatta branch.
Repairs carried out: Engine oil replacement, fuel filter replacement, Wheel alignment, balancing and tyre rotation.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_20140909_134707103.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_20140909_134830897.jpg  

sunilg33 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 15:32   #8009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Completed the 30k Service at 28k and the Bill was 6564. Service was done at Metro ford hesarghatta branch.
Repairs carried out: Engine oil replacement, fuel filter replacement, Wheel alignment, balancing and tyre rotation.
A small query
In my 30K service,Rs 3397 was charged under the heading, "filter assy fuel".Any difference between just oil filter and this?
Because the cost difference is significant
Old 9th September 2014, 15:38   #8010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
A small query
In my 30K service,Rs 3397 was charged under the heading, "filter assy fuel".Any difference between just oil filter and this?
Because the cost difference is significant
For you, the entire filter assembly(including water in fuel sensor) was changed; and for sunilg33, only the element inside filter assembly was changed.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed