Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 13:10   #8131
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Took my Ecosport AT (7200KM on Odo) for second service (12 Months/10000KM) yesterday at Wasan Ford Mumbai. Got the following done:

1. Service as per periodic plan of Ford
2. Air Filter Replacement (Even though it required cleaning only as per service schedule, I went for replacement given the polluted environment in which i drive)
3. Tyre rotation (5 tyres method)
4. Fixing of Tail Gate rattle

Here's the break-up of the total cost:

1. Wash Fluid: Rs 57.50
2. Engine Oil 10W 30GTX (4.1 Ltr @231.11/Ltr): Rs 947.55
3. Oil Filter: Rs 137.62
4. Gasket Drain Plug: Rs 63.05
5. Air Filter: Rs 614.36
Taxes @12.5% on above items: Rs 228
Total Cost: Rs 2048/- (With Air Filter replacement which was not mandatory)

Service wise, I will rate them 3/5, reasons being the following:

Positives:
1. No pushing for any value added services by the service adviser
2. Clean environment at reception area, customer lounge and shop floor.
3. Courteous staff

Negatives:
1. Even though i booked my service last week, there was no record. Infact, when i called them in the morning before starting from home, they couldn't locate my appointment and told me it's not possible to accommodate me. Couple of shouts and they asked me to come.
2. The service adviser was in a hurry to take my signatures on all the service papers without even letting me read what's on those.
3. The cleaning job was not good. Had to escalate couple of times to the supervisor. Still alloys were not cleaned properly. So was the case with bird droppings. Left me wondering whether the service engineers also had the same casual approach towards servicing under the hood parts.
4. The entire service process took 7 hours. Out of these, the car was left unattended for initial 3 hours.
5. Don't think routine checks as per Ford report card were performed 100%. I saw almost every service adviser ticking "OK" boxes on the report cards of vehicles under service even before the start of service.
6. No access to Shop Floor. I went there to explain tyre rotation to the service engineers, was politely asked by two service advisers to leave the place.

Didn't feel any major difference in the vehicle performance while driving back. May be it's too early.
TSIched'Out is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 19:29   #8132
BHPian

If somebody at Ford is listening, its been quite some time since the Ecosport has been launched. Now, there is something called the CSD or Canteen Stores Department. 99% of Defence Personnel purchase their cars through CSD which makes these vehicles cheaper than the market rates by around 50-70k depending upon the model.

Ford has quitely kept only the Fiesta Classic available in CSD and the new Fiesta or Ecosport are not available. I personally know at least 10 such people who have walked over to a different brand just because Ecosport in not available in CSD. I hope Ford top brass does something about this because in a already sinking market, they are missing out on customers from the defence fraternity.
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 20:00   #8133
BHPian

Friends I am planning to buy 1.5 petroleum tend variant. Is anybody aware of the current waiting period on this model of ecosport.
Old 10th October 2014, 18:45   #8134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Took my Ecosport AT (7200KM on Odo) for second service (12 Months/10000KM)

1. Wash Fluid: Rs 57.50
2. Engine Oil 10W 30GTX (4.1 Ltr @231.11/Ltr): Rs 947.55
3. Oil Filter: Rs 137.62
4. Gasket Drain Plug: Rs 63.05
5. Air Filter: Rs 614.36
Taxes @12.5% on above items: Rs 228
Its interesting to see how consumables cost differently between the 1.5P and 1.0P engines:
  • 5W-20 oil for the EcoBoost cost Rs. 1869, but the 10W-30 for the 1.5P cost about half that!
  • Oil filter for the EcoBoost cost Rs. 575, but only Rs. 138 for the 1.5P.
  • And I can feel smug that the EcoBoost comes with a gold-plated drain plug/gasket - how else does one explain a cost of Rs. 214 compared to just Rs. 63 for the 1.5P

For comparison, given below are the service charges for my EcoBoost (including 14.5% VAT):
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
  • Oil drain plug: Rs. 214.50
  • Oil filter: Rs. 575
  • Engine oil: 1,869.58 (for 4.1L of 5W-20 Castrol Magnatec)
  • Wash fluid pouch: Rs. 64
  • Rust spray: Rs. 104
  • Engine air filter: Rs. 683 (at my request)
  • Wheel nut: Rs. 213.24 (at my request)
Old 10th October 2014, 18:52   #8135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Its interesting to see how consumables cost differently between the 1.5P and 1.0P engines:
  • 5W-20 oil for the EcoBoost cost Rs. 1869, but the 10W-30 for the 1.5P cost about half that!
  • Oil filter for the EcoBoost cost Rs. 575, but only Rs. 138 for the 1.5P.
  • And I can feel smug that the EcoBoost comes with a gold-plated drain plug/gasket - how else does one explain a cost of Rs. 214 compared to just Rs. 63 for the 1.5P

For comparison, given below are the service charges for my EcoBoost (including 14.5% VAT):
Probably because the Ecoboost engine is imported, but then, that doesn't explain why the engine oil is expensive.

Is Castrol Magnatec semi-synthetic? Did you ask for that brand? They put some mineral oil in mine from a large drum that didn't even have a label on it.

Last edited by blacksport : 10th October 2014 at 18:54.
Old 12th October 2014, 12:51   #8136
BHPian

In Bangalore it is 2-3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
Friends I am planning to buy 1.5 petroleum tend variant. Is anybody aware of the current waiting period on this model of ecosport.
Old 15th October 2014, 00:08   #8137
BHPian

Today i had a 20km run with 5 moderately built adults on board, zero luggage, and AC in full blast since it was mid noon. My 1.5 AT was really struggling to pull. Even for normal acceleration, i had to floor the throttle, and let the gearbox drop a gear or two, RPMs constantly visiting the 4K-5K range.

My usual runs are with one or two people on board, so this was a new situation. I'd advise people looking to buy the AT to look elsewhere if their regular runs would include 5 people on board.
Old 15th October 2014, 01:09   #8138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Today i had a 20km run with 5 moderately built adults on board, zero luggage, and AC in full blast since it was mid noon. My 1.5 AT was really struggling to pull. Even for normal acceleration, i had to floor the throttle, and let the gearbox drop a gear or two, RPMs constantly visiting the 4K-5K range.
My Experience on the contrary was great in such conditions. I had done 1200Km run on my AT, just last month. Delhi-jodhpur-Delhi. Did each one run in 10hrs during day, with 4 moderately build adult and tons of baggage for 5 days of vacation. Weather back then was in low 40s and low 30s. AC was all throughout the journey.

My Ecosport AT, sailed pretty nicely without any need to prod for more power from throttle. Even overtaking and lane changing manouver were easy and without any scare.

Even just last weekend I was carrying tons of loads and 4 adults across the city and even in City it behaved smoothly.
Simply loving hassle free drive
Old 15th October 2014, 03:48   #8139
Distinguished - BHPian

Only monsters with huge engines take four or five times the load without showing any effect.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 08:27   #8140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneOp View Post

My Experience on the contrary was great in such conditions. I had done 1200Km run on my AT, just last month. Delhi-jodhpur-Delhi. Did each one run in 10hrs during day, with 4 moderately build adult and tons of baggage for 5 days of vacation. Weather back then was in low 40s and low 30s. AC was all throughout the journey.

My Ecosport AT, sailed pretty nicely without any need to prod for more power from throttle. Even overtaking and lane changing manouver were easy and without any scare.

Even just last weekend I was carrying tons of loads and 4 adults across the city and even in City it behaved smoothly.
Simply loving hassle free drive
The premise is different. In the highway you don't have to accelerate from low speeds frequently. In my case, there was moderate to heavy traffic, and whenever I had to accelerate up, from say 20kmph to 60kmph, the car was struggling.
Old 15th October 2014, 12:01   #8141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Is Castrol Magnatec semi-synthetic? Did you ask for that brand? They put some mineral oil in mine from a large drum that didn't even have a label on it.
Castrol Magnatec is fully synthetic, and meets Ford's specification for the EcoBoost engine. Quoting from their MSDS for the 5W-20 oil:

Quote:
Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 E is a fully synthetic lubricant suitable for use vehicles that require a 5W-20 lubricant that meets Ford WSS-M2C948-B specification including vehicles fitted with the Ford EcoBoost engine.
I was particular about checking for this, because I've read that Ford requires specific oil for the EcoBoost engine to best harness its low-friction nature. That would also explain why its synthetic right from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Took my Ecosport AT (7200KM on Odo) for second service (12 Months/10000KM)
Engine Oil 10W 30GTX (4.1 Ltr @231.11/Ltr): Rs 947.55
When looking at the UK owner manual for the EcoSport, I notice that Ford advises the same 5W-20 oil with the same specification for both the 1.0 EcoBoost and 1.5 TiVCT petrol engines.

EcoBoost engine:
Name:  EcoBoost Oil Spec.gif
Views: 8886
Size:  9.5 KB
1.5L Duratec TiVCT petrol engine:
Name:  15 TiVCT Oil Spec.gif
Views: 9064
Size:  10.1 KB
However they seem to have given you a different grade of oil (10W-30) during your servicing.

I don't have the Indian version of the EcoSport manual to hand, but could you please check the relevant pages to see what is the spec of engine oil for the 1.5 Duratec TiVCT engine that Ford recommends?
Old 15th October 2014, 16:15   #8142
BHPian

Hi , my ecosport is finally ready for delivery . The guys from the accessories dept spoke with me and are insistent on having the following installed

1) Rear tyre cover (12500/-)
2) Engine guard installed (8700/-)
3) Rear view camera (14000/-)
4) Teflon coating & Underbody coating (10500/-)

I am not too keen on 1,3,4 ...but 2) Engine guard ....does it make any difference ?
I have asked them just for scuff plates & a car cover.
Old 15th October 2014, 16:51   #8143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Hi , my ecosport is finally ready for delivery . The guys from the accessories dept spoke with me and are insistent on having the following installed

I am not too keen on 1,3,4 ...but 2) Engine guard ....does it make any difference ?
I have asked them just for scuff plates & a car cover.
1, 3 and 4 are just a rip off.
+1 to Engine guard only if it is a metal piece, else skip
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 17:41   #8144
BHPian

The engine guard is a reinforced fibre sheet. Do not know how effective it may be ? Another thing they are going on & on about is the seat covers, asking me to get the art leather seat covers they are selling for 8000/-. The original fabric seats look good as they are.....

Last edited by Endless.... : 15th October 2014 at 17:56.
Old 15th October 2014, 18:31   #8145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
The guys from the accessories dept spoke with me and are insistent on having the following installed

I am not too keen on 1,3,4 ...but 2) Engine guard ....does it make any difference?
Congratulations. Which variant are you getting? And which dealer?

You can push back on any such requests by saying - politely but firmly - that you'll escalate to Ford India if they put pressure on you.

1) The rear tyre cover is purely personal preference, from a cosmetic perspective. So that's your choice, and you have every right to refuse. Ford chose not to make the cover part of the factory package, so why should anyone else force this on you.

2) The engine guard is something you can add for a comfort factor. The accessory that you buy is made out of ABS plastic (not sure if the diesel comes with the same from the factory). In that sense, it will not mechanically protect you the same way as a metal shield. At the same time, it will work as a sacrificial guard, by ensuring that any energy is first dissipated by breaking the guard rather than directly attacking the sump.

I have fitted this for my EcoBoost variant. However, you should also bear in mind that given the increased ground clearance of the EcoSport in general, it is inherently better off from sump damage than a car like the Figo. Having said that, I would still install the engine guard as added insurance in any car that offers it.

3) Reverse cam - unless you regularly park in tricky spots, please try using the parking sensors that come from the factory and then decide whether you need the camera. I very rarely park in tricky spots, so am perfectly fine with the factory-fitted sensors + mirrors.

4) If you want to do the teflon coating/underbody protection, I'd suggest you get it done at 3M where you can see them doing the work, rather than the behind-the-scenes work done at the dealer. The quality of work and attention to detail is usually better at a good 3M center.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks