Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2015, 19:22   #8686
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post

I just want to know whether the A pillar is really a deal breaker I have come to think of it as, or just an irritant in the early stages of ownership. Some say "you'll get used to it with time" , but I am at loss as to how a thick pillar can be less of an issue with the passing of time. If it isn't that, how do I prevent it from being detrimental to safety?

I hope it turns out to be a less worrisome problem than what I perceive, because I'd really love re think our decision. It's just that the Ecosport is so hard to resist!

Your help is truly appreciated.
While the A pillar blind spot is a bit of a bother, I don't think it is a deal breaker at all. My earlier cars (Honda Citys) also had the same issues. One gets used to it - at certain troublesome curves, a little bit of neck twisting helps.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 19:22   #8687
BHPian

Quote:

I just want to know whether the A pillar is really a deal breaker I have come to think of it as, or just an irritant in the early stages of ownership. Some say "you'll get used to it with time" , but I am at loss as to how a thick pillar can be less of an issue with the passing of time. If it isn't that, how do I prevent it from being detrimental to safety?
With passing time we learn to be extra careful of the thick A pillar and we get used to the carefulness.
But it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
sunilg33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 08:18   #8688
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone experiencing sort of jerking when pressing the accelerator pedal after slowing down in Diesel Ecosport?
This gets quite annoying at times. Dealer says that this is common and normal with all 1.5 TDCI Ecosports.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:14   #8689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Is anyone experiencing sort of jerking when pressing the accelerator pedal after slowing down in Diesel Ecosport?
This gets quite annoying at times. Dealer says that this is common and normal with all 1.5 TDCI Ecosports.
Yes this happens when the RPM falls below 1k and its common to all vehicles. Need to upshift before the RPM's fall to such low levels.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:22   #8690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Yes this happens when the RPM falls below 1k and its common to all vehicles. Need to upshift before the RPM's fall to such low levels.
But this happens above 1K RPM also.
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:59   #8691
BHPian

Hello,

I have recently purchased this car mount: http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Holder-...ie+one+touch+2

I am planning to install it, so need suggestions on where exactly to install it on the windscreen of my EcoSport. I don't want to install on the dash but only on the windscreen, but not sure about the exact position. Can you please suggest someone knowledgeable in any shop in Bangalore who can help me with the installation?

Also, was wondering if my phone is connected to Sync and I am using google maps, is there any setting by which the voice directions come can through the car speakers?

Lastly, I am looking to buy a trunk mat/carpet and looking for suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by pc1686 : 23rd March 2015 at 11:00.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:16   #8692
BHPian

For voice directions, first play some music, then pause it, try navigation, it will route the voice to cars speakers. Basically you gimmick the car that this voice is also music.
vu2pmc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:52   #8693
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I need some urgent help here.
The thick A pillars of the Ecosport have been a hot topic of discussion since the launch of the vehicle. I'm not sure if this issue has been blown out of proportion, but I have even read that the A pillar has the ability to block a motorbike from view! In heavy traffic in our city, this seems like an accident waiting to happen. Hence we considered that a deal breaker and put our purchase on hold.

I hope it turns out to be a less worrisome problem than what I perceive, because I'd really love re think our decision. It's just that the Ecosport is so hard to resist!

Your help is truly appreciated.
IMO it does create a problem, i myself have missed bikes completely on intersections. But thankfully no accidents till date ( touchwood). You have to develop a habit of watching over them on crossroads.
It ain't a big deal breaker that you reconsider the purchase of the vehicle for that.
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:37   #8694
BHPian

Quote:
All A Pillars do make a certain amount of blind spot. I have experienced much bigger blind spot than in Ecosport in a Santro. The big ORVM of Santro coupled with a rain guard literally makes a blind spot of dangerous proportions.
Ecosport is not at all dangerous in this aspect for sure.
Thanks. So, what's your way of adjusting to the problem? You seem experienced in blind spots, considering you first had a Santro and now the ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidenzo View Post
IMO it does create a problem, i myself have missed bikes completely on intersections. But thankfully no accidents till date ( touchwood). You have to develop a habit of watching over them on crossroads.
It ain't a big deal breaker that you reconsider the purchase of the vehicle for that.
That's what my dad worries about. Missing a bike at an intersection is scary. He feels having such a car is hazardous to both him and pedestrians. Still, we I'll try not to let it get into the way of our decision. Like you are saying, there is a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
While the A pillar blind spot is a bit of a bother, I don't think it is a deal breaker at all. My earlier cars (Honda Citys) also had the same issues. One gets used to it - at certain troublesome curves, a little bit of neck twisting helps.
Ah, neck twisting... My dad has a history of neck and back issues, so no neck twisting till a chiropractor moves into town

Last edited by Turbo_asd : 23rd March 2015 at 14:58.
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:48   #8695
BHPian

Quote:
That's what my dad worries about. Missing a bike at an intersection is scary. He feels having such a car is hazardous to both him and pedestrians.nstill, we I'll trry not to let it get into the way of our decision. Like you are saying, there is a solution.
Every car has that problem its just its a bit more in the Ecoport, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Old 23rd March 2015, 15:56   #8696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidenzo View Post
Every car has that problem its just its a bit more in the Ecoport, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Got that right. No deal breaker for me!
I'll see how bad the problem is on our next test drive.
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:28   #8697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Only happens when engine is cold. It jerks a lot and throttle input needs to be adjusted. Problem goes away after engine warms up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1686 View Post
Hello,

I have recently purchased this car mount: http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Holder-...ie+one+touch+2

Also, was wondering if my phone is connected to Sync and I am using google maps, is there any setting by which the voice directions come can through the car speakers?

Lastly, I am looking to buy a trunk mat/carpet and looking for suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
Best place to install car mount on windshield is to the left of the ORVM. Just next to dotted area. This keeps the phone under shade of the roof. Disadvantage is you need to reach out for the phone and the charging cable is hanging.

Trunk mat check the previous page for a link from amazon.in.

When using google maps, the voice directions will come through the speakers but you need to connect to the phone via Aux. You can't connect to another media source if you want to hear the directions.

Quote:
Thanks. So, what's your way of adjusting to the problem? You seem experienced in blind spots, considering you first had a Santro and now the ecosport.

That's what my dad worries about. Missing a bike at an intersection is scary. He feels having such a car is hazardous to both him and pedestrians. Still, we I'll try not to let it get into the way of our decision. Like you are saying, there is a solution.
Using the car for 1.5 years and yes the blind spot is big. You will get used to it to an extent but there will be few times where a 2 wheeler will pop out suddenly from the pillar. You need to anticipate by leaning towards the side when turning. No other choice. But for sure it's not a deal breaker. The deal breaker is more the stiff ride than the blind spot.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:12   #8698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Using the car for 1.5 years and yes the blind spot is big. You will get used to it to an extent but there will be few times where a 2 wheeler will pop out suddenly from the pillar. You need to anticipate by leaning towards the side when turning. No other choice. But for sure it's not a deal breaker. The deal breaker is more the stiff ride than the blind spot.
I agree totally . If the ride would have been better than i would have been one happy customer.
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:42   #8699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only happens when engine is cold. It jerks a lot and throttle input needs to be adjusted. Problem goes away after engine warms up.
I am experiencing this the other way round. The vehicle is fine and smooth when engine is cold and the problem crops up as the engine warms up. The worry is that it then never goes away.
Old 24th March 2015, 07:13   #8700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1686 View Post
Hello,
I am planning to install it, so need suggestions on where exactly to install it on the windscreen of my EcoSport.
Quote:
Best place to install car mount on windshield is to the left of the ORVM. Just next to dotted area. This keeps the phone under shade of the roof. Disadvantage is you need to reach out for the phone and the charging cable is hanging.
Spot on Vid. Just before the dotted line and not on it. To avoid the charging cable from hanging and creating a mess, get a longer cable or even get an extension cable like I did for my car DVR. You just run the wire through the roof lining, onto the A pillar, door beading, take it through the front of the passenger foot well, and bring it to the charging point. It's a complete DIY.

Here's a picture of my car dvr.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-dsc_0009.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks