Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-609.html)

has anyone changed the interior bulbs to philips w5w type? white light ones. any tutorial would be helpful. I'm also planning to change the rear number plate bulbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoheb (Post 3761077)
has anyone changed the interior bulbs to philips w5w type? white light ones. any tutorial would be helpful. I'm also planning to change the rear number plate bulbs

Hi, you could find instructions to change bulbs in the owner's manual and yes I did change both cabin and license plate lamps

Hey guys.
While browsing through the net i came across a 1.5 Tdci engine being offered on the UK ford focus. On closer inspection of the engine i found it to be the same 1.5 being offered here in the ecosport, fiesta and soon to be launched figo Aspire. It has the same bore and stroke,same 8 valve SOHC specification, But with a power bump of 120ps(118hp) and 270Nm of torque!!:Cheering: There is also a 95ps version which is similar to what will be offered in the upcoming aspire so no doubt its the same engine that we have here in India.

I feel Ford should genuinely think about offering the 120ps version in the ecosport since the current state of tune is just adequate for relaxed driving. I'm sure the extra power and Torque would really enhance the driving experience and should negate some of its performance shortcomings due to its rather heavier kerb weight(1300kgs) and atleast give some competition to the more powerful engines on the slightly bigger duster/creta.And apparently ford will offer this engine in the Uk focus with a 6 speed DCT next year, so a great chance to take a slice of the ever growing fuel efficient automatic segment.

Here is the link to the engine specks:http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca..._tdci_120.html
Would like to know what you'll think, will ford offer this engine now or wake up once the competition forces the ecosport to the bottom of the ladder? Cause i know alot of people who would like an ecosport with a lively heart,to reinforce that image of an ''SUV'', else they will stick to a similarly priced hatch or sedan.

Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 (Post 3761727)
Hi, you could find instructions to change bulbs in the owner's manual and yes I did change both cabin and license plate lamps

Do you know how many total bulbs are needed? For the interior and at the back as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoheb (Post 3762120)
Do you know how many total bulbs are needed? For the interior and at the back as well?

3 in the front light (centre, left, right), 1 for the vanity mirror on left, 1 for the rear cabin lamp, 1 for the boot lamp and 2 for the license plates.

8 total + 2 for the parking lights in front.

You need total of 10 W5W bulbs. I remember the manual mentioned all the bulbs were W5W listed above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 (Post 3759910)
Technically No! this mod shouldn't impact warranty as all factory fitted electricals are intact ( no wire splicing or cutting); there is no change in wattage drawn from the battery/power supply. If however the manufacturer wants to prove it otherwise they very well can

Your question is absolutely valid! I did buy these projectors, bulbs, relays and an additional pair of headlamps from cheapest possible sources to perform this mod. Illumination is far better than halogens, cut off is sharper and beam switching is precise due to projectors

That's a wonderful change in looks as well as the the lighting!!
I am damn frustrated with the factory settings, especially during the monsoons.

I would be grateful if you can direct me to the source where I can get this modification done. One caveat though - I am not a DIY guy. So if there is someone reliable, I can get these mods done on my ride too.

Also, would greatly appreciate, if you can give a ballpark figure in terms of dent to the pocket!!

Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoheb (Post 3762120)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3762122)
8 total + 2 for the parking lights in front.

It's a function of the variant you own, for ambiente 6 would suffice, trend it should be 7(pls check manual) and titanium should be 10

Even though the base is common for all bulbs, except for parking lights you may want to consider bulbs with side illumination

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT (Post 3762478)
I would be grateful if you can direct me to the source where I can get this modification done. Also, would greatly appreciate, if you can give a ballpark figure in terms of dent to the pocket!!

Would recommend that you procure materials on your own and have them installed from a workshop. Sorry I do not have pointers however as this is a common upgrade, any 3rd party shop should be able to carry this out

since you already have the guide you know what to expect/benchmark them against

Dent on the pocket : anywhere between 8 to 30K depending on the quality and source of procurement. See below link to morimotos India fb page that should provide a sense of the upper end of price range (mine are mini d2s square).

https://www.facebook.com/morimotoind...862811377612:0

thanks Vid6639 & Rajiv0909 - Mine is the Titanium model -

ordered 10 Philips Blue Vision 4000k w5w bulbs
also ordered Hella Curvo wipers (which i feel every ecosport owner needs) the stock wipers are just crap. for the front lights, the Xtreme Vision 130+ is also ordered and a ton of car detailing stuff hahaha

Has anyone used the Hella Powerlight for their headlamps. I have been using Xtrem Vision 100% and it is still not helping. I am actively considering a replacement. As one of the Xtreme Vision had bought have fused and I am now running on one stock OSRAM and one Xtrem Vision. No big budgets for HIDs though !

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterjim13 (Post 3763486)
Has anyone used the Hella Powerlight for their headlamps. I have been using Xtrem Vision 100% and it is still not helping. I am actively considering a replacement. As one of the Xtreme Vision had bought have fused and I am now running on one stock OSRAM and one Xtrem Vision. No big budgets for HIDs though !

I installed Powerlight just a few days back. If compared to OEM, definitely better. Low beam is significantly better, but high beam shows only a marginal improvement, both in terms of brightness as well as throw. I am still struggling especially while driving in the rains . So I now switch on the fog lamps as well for better visibility. I am not sure if you will be able to perceive any significant difference if you change from Philips to Hella.

P.S: This is my first post on T-BHP clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterjim13 (Post 3763486)
Has anyone used the Hella Powerlight for their headlamps. I have been using Xtrem Vision 100% and it is still not helping. I am actively considering a replacement.

If you're not happy with the Philips ExtremeVision, then don't bother with Hella PowerLight or Osram Night Breaker; since they're all fundamentally the same.

As much as you might dislike the wiring changes, maybe its time to fit a relay, holders and 100W bulbs? Total cost will be around the cost of a pair of Night Breakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit.s (Post 3763588)
I installed Powerlight just a few days back. If compared to OEM, definitely better. Low beam is significantly better, but high beam shows only a marginal improvement, both in terms of brightness as well as throw. I am not sure if you will be able to perceive any significant difference if you change from Philips to Hella. P.S: This is my first post on T-BHP clap:

Thanks for your helpful first post, now you have your first thanks to match :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit.s (Post 3763588)
I installed Powerlight just a few days back. If compared to OEM, definitely better. Low beam is significantly better, but high beam shows only a marginal improvement, both in terms of brightness as well as throw. I am still struggling especially while driving in the rains . So I now switch on the fog lamps as well for better visibility. I am not sure if you will be able to perceive any significant difference if you change from Philips to Hella.

P.S: This is my first post on T-BHP clap:

Thanks Amit. Where did you buy the bulb from. I have just read about them on T-bhp and could not find them on a few stores here in Cochin. Neither could I gain any considerable info on the bulb as such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 3763650)
If you're not happy with the Philips ExtremeVision, then don't bother with Hella PowerLight or Osram Night Breaker; since they're all fundamentally the same.
As much as you might dislike the wiring changes, maybe its time to fit a relay, holders and 100W bulbs? Total cost will be around the cost of a pair of Night Breakers.

I have totally lost my hopes on alternate bulbs of same Wattage. You currently run on Xtreme Vision right.
Do you know anyone running with the 100W with a new wiring. ?
What could be the challenges running the 100 W on the current headlamp cluster. I have heard of heating issues. Could you please share some thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterjim13 (Post 3763709)
You currently run on Xtreme Vision right.
Do you know anyone running with the 100W with a new wiring. ?
What could be the challenges running the 100 W on the current headlamp cluster. I have heard of heating issues. Could you please share some thought.

I'm actually using Osram Nightbreaker Plus, but, yes, they're really the same.

One question regarding your problems - is the actual installation of the bulbs correct? I remember wilful had issues, which he then traced to the bulbs being installed the wrong way around.

EcoBeast uses 100W bulbs in his projector housing. See the below post:
Quote:

Originally Posted by EcoBeast (Post 3447064)
These are projectors with H7 bulbs. I have used 100 watt bulbs with a relay, to get good light output.

FWIW, I'm running 100W bulbs in my Getz for 2 years, and don't notice any problems at all in the reflector. However, this is very subjective and anecdotal, and depends on the shape and quality of the reflector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 3763777)
One question regarding your problems - is the actual installation of the bulbs correct? I remember wilful had issues, which he then traced to the bulbs being installed the wrong way around.

hmm. good thought. Let me get that checked too. I had issues with the alignment before. I shall get this checked.

Quote:

EcoBeast uses 100W bulbs in his projector housing. See the below post:

Thanks Arun I have Pm-ed Ecobeast.
Quote:

[/list][*]That means that electrically, a 100W load is acceptable. [*]The other issue is one of heating the holders - this is addressed by changing the OEM bulb holders to ceramic ones. [*]Finally, the heating caused by the bulb can cause the headlamp reflector to blacken over time, which will also affect light output/throw. This is something you'll have to risk.[/list]
FWIW, I'm running 100W bulbs in my Getz for 2 years, and don't notice any problems at all in the reflector. However, this is very subjective and anecdotal, and depends on the shape and quality of the reflector.

I have noted those, and shall consider these before jumping into a conclusion. Thanks Again

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterjim13 (Post 3763709)
Thanks Amit. Where did you buy the bulb from. I have just read about them on T-bhp and could not find them on a few stores here in Cochin. Neither could I gain any considerable info on the bulb as such.

Its available on ebay.in from a seller called Progressive Auto based at Delhi. Get the contact details from e-bay and call him up instead of ordering through e-bay. e-bay screwed up my delivery so this seller sent me another one through courier.