Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 15:26   #9256
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
I am seriously considering the Ecosport Diesel.

I did discuss the Ecosport face lift topic with the sales guys at Elite Ford , they promptly told me "2018 sir", major change is rear wheel will be on the underside instead of on the tailgate, did this check with Lathangi ford sales man also to whom i talked. promptly mentioned the same timeline. Now 2018 does seem a long way ahead - so i am guessing H2 2016 or Q1 2017 at the max.

I for one, cannot wait that long, i can wait till Nov/Dec this year - may be i will get some year end discounts ( but not too keen on that)
2018?? man they will have to throw in way more than what they have planned for the face lift then!! How reliable is this information from the salesmen?
I will go ahead and get myself a diesel too. The year end discounts seem not worth the wait if I have to go for the current version.

Have crossed off creta, s cross and possibly TUV300 already! All of a sudden ecosport has my love restored for it!
Old 19th August 2015, 16:13   #9257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Reading the reviews of the AT Aspire, could you summarise how the AT on the Ecosport performs? Is it as confused or better able to handle aggressive accelerator input?

Also the perennial question: what's the average like? (Kitna deti hai?)
I drive mostly in

1) city traffic during weekdays
2) a two lane crowded "highway" during weekends
3) occasionally on 4/6 lane highways.

Of these, the Ecosport manages to handle 1 and 3 with ease. In city traffic all you need is the D mode to putter around. The rpm stays in the 1000-2000rpm range occasionally up to 3000rpm - the whole range where there is no torque visible. But since it is city traffic and because you seldom go beyond 40-50kmph you never feel anything amiss.

3 was something I was worried about initially. But my first drive in the highway (TN roads) turned out to be a pleasant experience. That is because once you reach 80kmph it just cruises along in 6th gear with occasional visits to 5th. And when you really have to slow down, a kick down on the accelerator would take care of the rest. The gearbox gets confused sometimes - when I kick down, release and kick down again, but it is quite rare (once or twice a week) and too far in between to be troubling for me.

Where it really shows its ugly face is in item 2 above, where you have to slow down and then accelerate quite frequently. The moment you let go the accelerator, the box shifts to the highest gear possible. If you have to accelerate again you have to stomp on the accelerator and wait for the box to drop a gear or two. After some time it becomes tiring. Now, you have an option to use the S mode. While things improve in S mode, if you slow down in between, the box again ups the gear, again requiring you to kick down. Also when the box drops say two gears down (panic overtake etc), where the engine is at say 5000+rpm, there is little help from the engine except the groan.

In short, the engine and the gearbox doesn't seem to be in sync with each other. While the engine's best performance is between 3000-5000rpm, the box is reluctant to use it. It loves the 1000-3000rpm range. And it is difficult to get to the 3000-5000rpm range and then stay there.

Ford has, I guess, done this in the interest of economy, and I never have been dissatisfied with the FE it gives. With a mix of 1 and 2, I get about 11kmpl. Early morning drives in the same 2 lane highway (AC mostly off), I get about 15-17kmpl, which I think is phenomenal. All these numbers are with only me as the occupant. I have noticed that having more people and using AC drops the FE quite a bit.

Hope this is of help.
civic-sense is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 20:42   #9258
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, my Ecosport TDCI Titanium (O) just completed 2 years in my ownership, No complaints so far except a tinny rattle now and then around the instrument cluster and some engine roughness and unevenness on cold starts,. Been pretty happy with it all along.

Now in the last 2 weeks, I am getting a lot of new types of major rattles from all over the car, when going on rough roads. The left front door area is constantly producing multiple rattling sounds and the tailgate area is also making some big rattling sounds. The road to my office has been fairly rough for a few months now, and I have not treated the vehicle too gently, but still I do not expect so many rattles so soon in the life of the car. The service centre taped up some parts on the left side door, trying to dampen the sound a bit but it started rattling again in a few days as soon as I entered the rough section of the road.

Have any of you encountered a similar problem? If so please share your experiences. I am very disappointed now every time I get into my car. It is very quiet for the time it is running on smooth roads and the rattles start full fledged once I enter the rough road.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th August 2015 at 20:46.
Old 20th August 2015, 00:11   #9259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Yes, same for the Indian ecosport too.

Agree with the audio system.
I have installed the tweeters on my TDCI titanium optional variant and the audio is awesome (bass,treble and mid)
Haven't seen you here in ages. Waiting for you to update the Ecosport mega thread. Coming to the tweeters, i asked my SA if he can install the tweeters from AT variant to my Titanium diesel, he said its not possible, wont fit etc etc. I guess i have to take the aftermarket route.

Quote:
I for one, cannot wait that long, i can wait till Nov/Dec this year - may be i will get some year end discounts ( but not too keen on that)
More than change in sparewheel location which actually looks bad to most people here, the extra boost in diesel motor is something not to be missed. Aspire being a cheaper car is having more power than Ecosport, i don't think it will be long before Ford gives the same engine option to ES also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Now in the last 2 weeks, I am getting a lot of new types of major rattles from all over the car, when going on rough roads.
I was also not gentle with my car, and having slight rattles in passenger side A pillar region every now and then. Car is 15k/1yr. Service center manages to fix it but this seems to come back after few weeks of harsh driving.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 02:26   #9260
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...red-india.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Haven't seen you here in ages. Waiting for you to update on the ecosport mega thread. Coming to the tweeters, i asked my SA if he can install the tweeters from AT variant to my Titanium diesel, he said its not possible, wont fit etc etc. I guess i have to take the aftermarket.
Hello Samfromindia,
Thanks for the kind words, I am humbled.
Was a little busy for the past few months

Hertz tweeters is the perfect fit.
Will update the tweeter installation on my ownership thread(don't remember if I already did)

Last edited by ecosport rules : 20th August 2015 at 02:29.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 10:44   #9261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am seriously considering the Ecosport Diesel.

I did discuss the Ecosport face lift topic with the sales guys at Elite Ford , they promptly told me "2018 sir", major change is rear wheel will be on the underside instead of on the tailgate, did this check with Lathangi ford sales man also to whom i talked. promptly mentioned the same timeline. Now 2018 does seem a long way ahead - so i am guessing H2 2016 or Q1 2017 at the max.

Well there was post earlier in this thread which clearly said Ecosport will continue to have spare wheels as the customer demands one here. This was mentioned by Nigel Harris. 2018 is too late for a face lift and is ideal time for All new Ecosport.
Old 20th August 2015, 14:36   #9262
Distinguished - BHPian

Behind the EcoSport dashboard!

I've hard-wired a dashcam to my EcoSport (see thread). While doing that, I took a few photos of the area behind the dashboard on the passenger side, that might be of interest to owners.

Glovebox Assembly
  • Ford EcoSport : Official Review-glovebox-assembly.jpg
  • Ford EcoSport : Official Review-glovebox-assembly-clips.jpg
  • This is the portion that surrounds the actual glovebox.
  • The glovebox can be opened by levering in the stops in the top left and top right of the glovebox itself, using your fingers.
  • The hinges at the bottom of the glovebox can be pried and pushed out, to remove the glovebox.
  • Then, there are 4 screws that are pointed upwards (i.e. the screw heads face downwards) that hold this assembly in place.
  • Once you remove those 4 screws, you can gently pry this assembly away by popping the clips (see image above).
  • With the glovebox assembly removed, this is how it looks.
  • Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fusebox-access.jpg
  • The 3 items you can see are the fusebox (top left), HVAC blower (top right) and central locking assembly (white label in the center). The circular tube with a foam surround at the center of the image is the AC duct that cools the glovebox. Not seen here is the passenger front airbag unit. The loose wire hanging to the left is the dashcam hard-wire kit.

Central Locking Unit
  • Ford EcoSport : Official Review-central-locking-module.jpg
  • Part number AV1T-15K600-JH. Sits on the firewall beneath the dashboard on the passenger side.
  • Note that I have a Titanium (O) with keyless entry. The keyless entry module itself is below the driver’s seat, and is not pictured here.

HVAC Blower
  • Ford EcoSport : Official Review-hvac-blower.jpg
  • I tried to locate the AC air filter unit, but was not able to find it. I took this picture just for reference sake.

Passenger Airbag Module
  • Ford EcoSport : Official Review-passenger-airbag-module.jpg
  • Sits beneath the dashboard.
  • Airbag module code 90016.
  • Propellant used has the code BAM-PT1-1250.

Fuse Box
  • Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fusebox.jpg
  • Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fusebox-diagram.jpg
  • The fusebox, mounted on the firewall behind the dashboard on the passenger side.
    Unlike other cars (e.g. Hyundai Getz/i10) which provide fusebox access directly via a panel, accessing the EcoSport fusebox requires disassembly of the glovebox. This seems to be a trait of cars based on the Fiesta platform, based on my Internet research. You can see the neatly tied together wiring that forms part of the wiring harness.
  • The second diagram is the fusebox schematic, which is located on the back of the glovebox.
  • You can refer the owner’s manual for a description of the fuses. Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3699592
arunphilip is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 13:20   #9263
Senior - BHPian

A group of 3 women started on a K2K drive in an ecosport but the drive had to be abandoned due to problems with the vehicle and the service centres failing to rectify the problem. The problem remains unresolved and car is coming back in a truck now.

https://www.facebook.com/teambhp/pos...53480167824647

Last edited by sdp1975 : 21st August 2015 at 13:22.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 14:03   #9264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
A group of 3 women started on a K2K drive in an ecosport but the drive had to be abandoned due to problems with the vehicle and the service centres failing to rectify the problem. The problem remains unresolved and car is coming back in a truck now.

My God! This is a very sad commentary on the vehicle and Ford service. I hope Ford India take serious note of this and take necessary steps immediately (contacting the aggrieved customer and completely rectifying the issues).
This story does not inspire confidence in the company and product. They should remember the fate of other car makers whose service stink.
Old 21st August 2015, 14:39   #9265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

really sorry for the ladies, as their dream didn't fulfil. I suspect the adulterated fuel as the culprit. otherwise fine working car suddenly develops snag and refuse to start?? I have seen so many cars towed to workshop after starting problem, only to be diagnosed with adulterated fuel or sometime even water in the fuel, when whole fuel tank is opened later.

Last edited by Dr.Abhi : 21st August 2015 at 14:41.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 15:49   #9266
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford's EcoSport 2,00,000 Fest. Across all Ford dealerships.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-untitled.jpg

3-day festival from August 21st to 23rd, where customers stand to win additional, assured gifts (upto Rs. 5 crores) upon booking the EcoSport.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st August 2015 at 15:50.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 16:03   #9267
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Behind the EcoSport dashboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I've hard-wired a dashcam to my EcoSport. While doing that, I took a few photos of the area behind the dashboard on the passenger side, that might be of interest to owners.
That's excellent pictorial information, arunphilip!

Quote:
Unlike other cars (e.g. Hyundai Getz/i10) which provide fusebox access directly via a panel, accessing the EcoSport fusebox requires disassembly of the glovebox. This seems to be a trait of cars based on the Fiesta platform, based on my Internet research.
Could this be because of the platform's core LHD design (for continental Europe, Brazil etc.), with Ford not wanting to disturb the fuse-box location for RHD cars?

Is the OBD-II port located below the steering wheel on the driver's side?

Last edited by RSR : 21st August 2015 at 16:04.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 16:30   #9268
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Behind the EcoSport dashboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Could this be because of the platform's core LHD design (for continental Europe, Brazil etc.), with Ford not wanting to disturb the fuse-box location for RHD cars?
This makes a lot of sense and is probably the reason. The Fiesta we drive and love has LHD origins, which lingers on in varying degrees (I still remember the Ikon having the bonnet opener on the passenger side!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Is the OBD-II port located below the steering wheel on the driver's side?
OBD-II port is behind a panel by the driver's right knee. They're anyway bound by specification to keep the OBD-II port within 2 feet of the steering, so they will have moved it based on LHD/RHD configuration.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 17:31   #9269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
really sorry for the ladies, as their dream didn't fulfil. I suspect the adulterated fuel as the culprit. otherwise fine working car suddenly develops snag and refuse to start?? I have seen so many cars towed to workshop after starting problem, only to be diagnosed with adulterated fuel or sometime even water in the fuel, when whole fuel tank is opened later.
Ford service stations are expected to be able to diagnose the problem correctly at the very least.
Something like adulterated fuel should come to their mind easily no?
Old 21st August 2015, 22:56   #9270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
My God! This is a very sad commentary on the vehicle and Ford service. I hope Ford India take serious note of this and take necessary steps immediately (contacting the aggrieved customer and completely rectifying the issues).
This story does not inspire confidence in the company and product. They should remember the fate of other car makers whose service stink.
I agree with one of the comments on the facebook page. The service center technicians can best be relied upon for engine oil and gear oil changes, or at the max normal servicing. They are not trained adequately to handle the complex technology of today's cars. This was evident even when I was purchasing the car. It seemed I had more info about the car than the sales advisor. (Of course TBHP was my primary source of info. Infact I went on to suggest my advisor to go through the Ecosport forums on TBHP) . And this is true not only with Ford, but even with other manufacturers. I had a similar experience with Hyundai when their technicians were not able to identify a niggling issue with my Santro for more than two years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks