Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2015, 22:47   #9481
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
The interesting thing about "D" mode is that it seems car cannot roll back, so that should help in the inclines. Not sure though why the Hill-Assist option is then needed. The other thing I came to know is that at signals one can use the hand-brake on and don't need to press the brake.
One thing you should note is that when you are stopped for more than a few seconds, like in a signal, it is advisable to put the gear in 'N' rather than keeping it in 'D' and holding on the brake or handbrake. The reason being when in 'D' mode the clutch is allowed to slip and the vehicle tries to creep forward and if you counter that by holding the brake for longer duration, it is going to put a lot of strain on the transmission and clutch.
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 23:12   #9482
BHPian

Glad that I didn't wait for the update. Nothing special for the ecoboost especially when the auto headlights are useless. Good that they've changed the indicator stalk positions, very annoying thing it was especially if your other car has them on the right side. Those door levers have a finish similar to the Fiesta I think. No electric folding mirrors and the same stiff suspension is very annoying.
Old 18th October 2015, 23:13   #9483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Ingress may be a bit high for my parents, will need to check. Maybe carry along a small stool if they need it.
Maybe one day I'll get a ride in an Ecosport: I'd like that! But until then, speaking generally...

A slightly higher-from-ground car can be easier to get in and out of.

Whatever age one is, until we have got used to the hight, we do that slightly embarrassing semi-fall for the couple of inches where we expected the ground to be.

Apart from that, though, one does not have to pull oneself up when getting out of a higher vehicle. I am over sixty, sedentary and unfit, but apart from that there is nothing actually wrong with me, but I am finding it tougher, now, when parked next to a highish kerb, and a higher car would actually help with getting in and out.

Which, I suppose, is a good reason to go back to wanting an Ecosport
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 23:14   #9484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
for ingress get a side step attached.
Quote:
Thanks for the side-step tip will check on it - sort of recall reading somewhere that it is not possible to attach in top-end variant.
Side steps/running boards: You're right - since the AT and Titanium+ come with side & curtain airbags, fitting side steps is not recommended by Ford (see the warning in the manual, below). They tend to block/interfere with the functioning of the side/curtain airbag trigger sensors that are located beneath the rocker panels.
Name:  EcoSport Side Airbag.gif
Views: 7152
Size:  26.5 KB
Quote:
What of these accessories should I go for: (1) Engine Guard (2) Under Chassis - Anti-Rust coating (3) Cavity Protection. (4) Rear-View Camera.
  • Engine guard - Last I checked, the engine guard wasn't an option for the AT. It only came factory fitted with the diesel, and was an accessory for the petrol MTs. I'm not sure if that has changed now, though. If available for the AT, then you can go for it. Although the 200 mm ground clearance should keep you safe from trouble, the added safety it offers is worth it.
  • Under-chassis anti-rust coating - Yes, you can go for this. I'd suggest you get this done at a 3M center itself, instead of the dealer. 3M would do a more thorough job, and will allow you to inspect their handiwork also.
  • Cavity protection - I checked on this when I got my EcoSport, but was told by 3M itself that its not required for Bangalore weather, it makes more sense in coastal areas. Moreover, the high GC of the EcoSport also makes it harder for water to enter areas that are protected by cavity protection (e.g. rocker panels).
  • Rear-view camera - If you park in predictable spots (apartment/office car parks), then the parking sensors would suffice, they're very accurate. I'd suggest you try the car for a week or two with the parking sensors, and then decide if you need this - you can always get it fitted at FASS.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 23:18   #9485
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the side-step tip will check on it - sort of recall reading somewhere that it is not possible to attach in top-end variant.

I too wanted to get a side step for my Ecosport because of an elderly person in my family who has a knee problem. But dropped the idea because if you will notice, the side step is installed just a few inches below the door sill. You will be able to reduce just a couple of inches off the height and that's hardly worth buying the side step for. Infact it was my sales advisor who brought this to my notice. So I decided to get a adequately sized stool rather than the side step.
amit.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 10:23   #9486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I had stopped by Metro Ford (Bangalore) earlier today to check out the new Figo. To kill some time, I took a scout around the EcoSport to see what was new/different, in relation to the previous EcoSport. Here's my observations and comparative pictures.

Note: All 2013 EcoSport pictures from page 1 of this official review thread. All 2015 EcoSport pictures shot by me.
Did you get a chance to see or understand what has boosted the power to 100PS? Is there a mechanical change or is it just tuning?
Old 19th October 2015, 11:00   #9487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Did you get a chance to see or understand what has boosted the power to 100PS? Is there a mechanical change or is it just tuning?
I didn't get to see or verify this myself.

However, someone on the Aspire thread had mentioned that on a plant visit, he had seen a listing of the parts that were changed in the 100ps version of the engine (compared to the earlier 90ps) - and they were all turbocharger-related components. While it is still an FGT, it has released more drivable and usable power.

I'm sure that there's been a corresponding tuning of the ECU, but I presume that would be to supplement the mechanical changes; and not a stand-alone state of tune that we can apply onto the older TDCi.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 11:21   #9488
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

My main concerns:
1. Ingress may be a bit high for my parents, will need to check. Maybe carry along a small stool if they need it.
2. Since the rear seats are folding there is no permanent metal structure there to prevent luggage from spilling into the rear seats (in case of a rear hit). I believe this is one of the safety features in a Linea.
3. Rear seat width is a bit less (we looked at Vento too), specially since one I have been peeking into this thread from time to time, and am now considering purchasing the Ecosport 1.5L AT due to it's build quality, safety features etc. It seems to have pretty much everything we need (90% city, 10% highway). The only feature missing is auto-folding mirrors.

One qs I have is, having driven only manuals all my life - how easy or difficult is it to switch to AT.

let me answer your questions one by one

I have elderly parents and in-laws, all of them are 5-2 and thereabouts, with bad back, bad knee et al. They have not faced any problems in in getting in/out of the EcoSport. Granted the doors don't open as wide (or they are as large) as in the Ertiga, but the ride is much, much better. Its just a matter of getting used to. All other vehicles are either too low, or too high, or not AT .

The rear seat is good for two. However, my parents are slender framed, and have had no trouble sharing the rear seat with my son in forward-facing car seat , three abreast. So its not as bad as its made out to be. But if you have heavy-framed occupants, its strictly two, and IMO other than the Verito, you will really struggle to seat 3 abreast comfortably in the rear seat of most vehicles in this class (Innova et al is in a different class altogether). If 3 occupants in comfort is what you need, you may need to cross over to that category.

We have effortlessly transitioned to an AT after 15 years/ few lakh Kms of manual transmissions. Now we wonder how we managed without it. In fact, the Ertiga ZDI now lies neglected in the garage, we prefer an Uber to lugging that manual through traffic. So no worries, getting used to the "good things of life" is very easy. Reverting back to "feature poverty", well that's another thing altogether.
Contrapunto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 12:58   #9489
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The interesting thing about "D" mode is that it seems car cannot roll back, so that should help in the inclines. Not sure though why the Hill-Assist option is then needed. The other thing I came to know is that at signals one can use the hand-brake on and don't need to press the brake.

More qs: We are closing to booking the AT. What of these accessories should I go for: (1) Engine Guard (2) Under Chassis - Anti-Rust coating (3) Cavity Protection. (4) Rear-View Camera.
Get the Engine Guard, the Rear View Camera & Underbody coating. (Under body coating get it done by 3M later outside.). I got all 3 of these, skipped a separate cavity protection.

Side Step should not be attached to Variants with 6 Airbags like the AT as this may result in the airbags not functioning correctly.

In D mode if one adjusts the Accelerator or if the slope is small the car will not slide back BUT your AT gearbox will get DAMAGED in the long run. It should NOT be done this way.

On a slope. Pull the had brakes and keep car in N and keep the leg pressed on the brakes, when you wish to move forward, Put the Drive selector in D, Release the Hand Brake and then release the Leg brakes - you then have 3 seconds to press accelerator and move forward as the Hill Hold will prevent the vehicle from sliding back for 3 seconds. 3 seconds are very sufficient on any slope. to move the right leg from the Brake to the Accelerator and modulate it correctly.

Welcome to the AT world.

Expect FE of 9.5-10 in the long run.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 13:05   #9490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post

We have effortlessly transitioned to an AT after 15 years/ few lakh Kms of manual transmissions. Now we wonder how we managed without it. In fact, the Ertiga ZDI now lies neglected in the garage, we prefer an Uber to lugging that manual through traffic. So no worries, getting used to the "good things of life" is very easy. Reverting back to "feature poverty", well that's another thing altogether.
I agree. Once an automatic, always an automatic. After getting used to ATs, it is extremely difficult to go back to MTs. May be a petrol MT once in a while but a diesel MT with its hard clutch would "kill" you. I switched to ATs in 2011 and there is absolutely no looking back. As soon as a new car is launched the first thing I look for is if it has an AT box. If not, then I don't give that car a second look, no matter how good it is. Once in a while when I need to drive my F-in-L's Alto MT, I cringe at the thought of having to change gears. Call me lazy or spoilt or whatever.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 14:05   #9491
BHPian

Are there any reviews on the EcoSport AT ?
My wife is looking at switching from her old Santro manual (crossed 1.2L km) to an AT, the EcoSport looked like a good replacement.
Old 19th October 2015, 18:14   #9492
BANNED

Guys need a help on my ecosport TCDi 2014. Its has done 14K kms but since 10K I've been experiencing a slight clutch slip or judder when I run in bumper to bumper traffic for long. It is absolutely smooth in normal traffic.

I've showed it to Ford ASS but they've just bled the clutch and said it looks fine. Its actually very difficult to replicate as it only comes in prolonged bumper to bumper runs.

Anyone else faced such an issue ? The clutch also becomes heavier in traffic is this normal ?

My car will complete an year in dec so wanted to get this checked before that.

Thanks
AKhilesh

Last edited by akhilesh : 19th October 2015 at 18:16. Reason: misspelled
Old 19th October 2015, 20:45   #9493
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, yes we tried it out a test drive today and got the hang of it in a couple of minutes. My wife also told me the trick of keeping left leg grounded; that helped. There was an involuntary urge to use it but managed not to mess up atleast in the test drive

More qs: We are closing to booking the AT. What of these accessories should I go for: (1) Engine Guard (2) Under Chassis - Anti-Rust coating (3) Cavity Protection. (4) Rear-View Camera.
There would always be an urge to splurge on insignificant accessories when you are buying a new car. When you compare the cost with the price of the car itself, you will feel that it is an insignificant amount of money. Actually, if you think about it at leisure you would understand that you could put that money to better use. Truth is, Ford has given with the car, whatever is needed in the car. I suggest you wait till the new-car-excitement has past before you decide on spending any more money.

ps: Thumb rule - don't spend money when you feel happy.
civic-sense is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 22:30   #9494
BHPian

Excruciatingly heavy clutch in ES Diesel

I have been struggling to decide between Aspire Petrol AT, Aspire Diesel MT and Ecosport Diesel MT. I know the choices are varied but I have my reasons. AT for comfort, diesel for torque and ES for the build quality.

Now to decide about ES, I booked an ES from Zoomcar for 4 hours. I got a fairly new car of age less than a year and odo at about 12,000 km. I drove around ES in mixed bumper-to-bumper and open road (like sea link) for 40 km. Right from the beginning, I felt that the clutch was very tight and within 5 minutes my toes and knee starting to hurt. Could someone give inputs on:

1. Is it a known fact that ES clutch is super tight (vs. other cars) and takes a toll on your left leg? My frame of comparison is my Maruti Dzire Diesel MT. Or could this be specific to the Zoomcar car?

2. In general, does clutch tightness depend on petrol or diesel? Or it has nothing to do with fuel.

3. Given that in my TD, I liked Aspire AT just for the ease of drive (and not FTD), would Ecosport AT be a disaster? (given that it is 250 kgs more than Aspire)

I really liked driving around in ES today. Its city drivability was superb and 2nd gear was all I used for most part. Also, as compared to Aspire, ES built felt to be much better and way more secure. Please suggest.
Old 20th October 2015, 06:18   #9495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Are there any reviews on the EcoSport AT ?
My wife is looking at switching from her old Santro manual (crossed 1.2L km) to an AT, the EcoSport looked like a good replacement.
There are two reviews that I've come across which helped me make up my mind.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rs-review.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html

Plus I'm putting a couple of page links with my experience which I hope will be of help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-549.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-549.html
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed