Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2015, 08:30   #9496
BHPian

Re: Excruciatingly heavy clutch in ES Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
I have been struggling to decide between Aspire Petrol AT, Aspire Diesel MT and Ecosport Diesel MT. I know the choices are varied but I have my reasons. AT for comfort, diesel for torque and ES for the build quality.

Now to decide about ES, I booked an ES from Zoomcar for 4 hours. I got a fairly new car of age less than a year and odo at about 12,000 km. I drove around ES in mixed bumper-to-bumper and open road (like sea link) for 40 km. Right from the beginning, I felt that the clutch was very tight and within 5 minutes my toes and knee starting to hurt. Could someone give inputs on:

1. Is it a known fact that ES clutch is super tight (vs. other cars) and takes a toll on your left leg? My frame of comparison is my Maruti Dzire Diesel MT. Or could this be specific to the Zoomcar car?

2. In general, does clutch tightness depend on petrol or diesel? Or it has nothing to do with fuel.

3. Given that in my TD, I liked Aspire AT just for the ease of drive (and not FTD), would Ecosport AT be a disaster? (given that it is 250 kgs more than Aspire)

I really liked driving around in ES today. Its city drivability was superb and 2nd gear was all I used for most part. Also, as compared to Aspire, ES built felt to be much better and way more secure. Please suggest.
1. Yes, I too found the clutch to be a little on the heavier side, be it the diesel or the ecoboost.
2. Usually diesel cars have harder clutches. But the ecosport's both variants have hard clutches. Don't worry,its something you'll adapt to later on. I used to drive a City ivtec and its clutch was feather light!
3. Not really since you wouldn't be flooring inside the city. Refer to AT ownership reviews, I haven't driven an AT.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 09:32   #9497
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Sorry for the repetitive post but I just discovered an error in my post this morning. The two links of mine are the same one - here's the correction ie the second one.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3795260
Old 20th October 2015, 18:45   #9498
BHPian

The shock absorbers of the Ford Ecosport have always been very very painful in Bangalore where I stay. On of the main reasons for me to avoid the Ecosport has been that it does not handle bad roads the way for example a Duster does. Does anyone have any ideas if this aspect has been improved in the New Ecosport?
Old 20th October 2015, 19:06   #9499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Does anyone have any ideas if this aspect has been improved in the New Ecosport?
Nope, the suspension hasn't been tuned on this refresh. It's just the engine that packs more punch.
Old 20th October 2015, 22:08   #9500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
  • Engine guard - Last I checked, the engine guard wasn't an option for the AT. It only came factory fitted with the diesel, and was an accessory for the petrol MTs. I'm not sure if that has changed now, though. If available for the AT, then you can go for it. Although the 200 mm ground clearance should keep you safe from trouble, the added safety it offers is worth it.
  • Under-chassis anti-rust coating - Yes, you can go for this. I'd suggest you get this done at a 3M center itself, instead of the dealer. 3M would do a more thorough job, and will allow you to inspect their handiwork also.
  • Cavity protection - I checked on this when I got my EcoSport, but was told by 3M itself that its not required for Bangalore weather, it makes more sense in coastal areas. Moreover, the high GC of the EcoSport also makes it harder for water to enter areas that are protected by cavity protection (e.g. rocker panels).
  • Rear-view camera - If you park in predictable spots (apartment/office car parks), then the parking sensors would suffice, they're very accurate. I'd suggest you try the car for a week or two with the parking sensors, and then decide if you need this - you can always get it fitted at FASS.
The engine guard sold as accessory is made of ABS plastic while the one which comes with diesel is a hard cardboard type material mainly for sound dampening and maybe preventing light stone chip hits. The ABS plastic one won't be able to take big hits also. You can opt for aftermarket options like one Bhpian have done here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...d-india-6.html

I believe the aftermarket ABS guard can be fitted in all ecosport versions, its just that the diesel one comes with the soft padded one while other variants dont. Coming to the rear view camera, the default monochrome indicators does a pretty decent job, check if it works for you. You can spend the extra cash on something else instead of a duplicate feature.
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 22:47   #9501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Maybe one day I'll get a ride in an Ecosport: I'd like that! But until then, speaking generally...

A slightly higher-from-ground car can be easier to get in and out of.
Please PM me when you are next in BLR; would be happy to give you a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
let me answer your questions one by one

I have elderly parents and in-laws, all of them are 5-2 and thereabouts, with bad back, bad knee et al. They have not faced any problems in in getting in/out of the EcoSport. Granted the doors don't open as wide (or they are as large) as in the Ertiga, but the ride is much, much better. Its just a matter of getting used to. All other vehicles are either too low, or too high, or not AT .
Thanks, that helped to clarify. I think my parents will be okay and yeah the rear seat width should be fine. We do the same now in Swift, with two of the slimmer people in family sitting in the reat seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
The engine guard sold as accessory is made of ABS plastic while the one which comes with diesel is a hard cardboard type material mainly for sound dampening and maybe preventing light stone chip hits. The ABS plastic one won't be able to take big hits also. You can opt for aftermarket options like one Bhpian have done here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...d-india-6.html
Thanks arunphilip, ACM, civic-sense and SamfromIndia for your inputs on accessories. The dealer is offering me free accessories and so I can utilize that towards purchasing some of these. Will check the list of accessories available for AT once again and decide.

Last edited by akj123 : 20th October 2015 at 22:49. Reason: added
akj123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 01:20   #9502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
Please PM me when you are next in BLR; would be happy to give you a ride
Thank you It's unlikely that I'll be in your city. I guess I should put out the call to Chennai EcoSportsters

Not looking to go to dealers for test drives, because I'm not seriously in the market to buy. However, I've been following this thread from the start as the idea of an SUV does not appeal to me, but the idea of a beefed-up hatch does --- and I'm still lurking, even though most of the roads in my area have been repaired/relaid.
Old 21st October 2015, 06:48   #9503
Distinguished - BHPian

Pricelist of the facelifted EcoSport, from Metro Ford Bangalore.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-wp_20151020_21_40_10_pro.jpg

The SA I met there also mentioned that they are some pre-facelift EcoSports still in stock, so if you want to get a good deal, head over there and start haggling. For reference, here's the pricelist of the pre-facelift EcoSport, as of September, again from Metro Ford:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ford-india-2015-sep-ecosport-pricing-metro.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not looking to go to dealers for test drives, because I'm not seriously in the market to buy.
I've seen you lurking on this thread long enough that I think you need to scratch that itch Why don't you hire a Zoom Car for a day or two to experience it? For Rs. 500, you can use it for 4 hours.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:45   #9504
BHPian

Auto Headlamp and Wipers

How does the automatic headlight and wipers work? I understand that they would sense lack of light/ presence of water and activate those functions.

However, what happens to the stalks inside the cabin? Won't the headlight stalk be on OFF position when the auto headlight goes ON? How do you take control of them? Can you de-activate the auto functions of these two?
Old 21st October 2015, 11:28   #9505
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Headlamp and Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
How does the automatic headlight and wipers work? I understand that they would sense lack of light/ presence of water and activate those functions.

However, what happens to the stalks inside the cabin? Won't the headlight stalk be on OFF position when the auto headlight goes ON? How do you take control of them? Can you de-activate the auto functions of these two?
You need to move the headlight rotary knob and wiper stalk to a specific position to enable auto-headlamps and auto-wipers. See this post for more images, but here are the relevant extracts from the owner's manual:

Auto Wipers
Old 21st October 2015, 11:44   #9506

need advice on extended warantee

Hi Guys,
need some advice
my eco sport 1.5 TDIC M1 tit (0) bought on 12/12 2013 has just crossed, yes, 2K
it was bought from Metro Ford St marks Road Bangalore.
My question is they are after me to go in for the extended warrantee IS IT WORTH IT.
as i see the the workman ship at metro ford is shoddy to say the least
I guess all are wondering why its so low mileage ,simply because its one of may cars ,also i have been unwell for about 5 months and have been unable to drive.
i absolutly love the car and have pimped it out quite a bit and feel aweful i am not driving it. and envy all of you when i read your post each sunday
thanks and safe driving
zarryl Lobo
Old 21st October 2015, 12:35   #9507
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: need advice on extended warantee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarryl View Post
my eco sport 1.5 TDIC M1 tit (0) bought on 12/12 2013 has just crossed, yes, 2K
My question is they are after me to go in for the extended warrantee IS IT WORTH IT.
By default, they will have sold you the 3rd year extended warranty (EW) at the time of purchase, unless you explicitly fought for it to be removed. So, can you check if you paid for that and got your EW certificate? Even if you look at the price lists from any dealer (see the one a few posts earlier, above), you'll see the 3rd year EW listed there. So, are they asking you to buy the 3rd year EW, or are they selling the 4/5 year EW?

Bear in mind that the extended warranty does not cover wear and tear, it only extends the company warranty to cover design/manufacturing flaws. So the amount of distance your EcoSport has run till date should not influence your decision. Ford themselves state at http://www.india.ford.com/ford-servi...ended-warranty that:
Quote:
What is covered?
  • All Mechanical & Electrical Failures
  • Labour for the above repairs

What is not covered?
  • Periodic Maintenance Services
  • Wear and Tear Parts
  • Accident repairs, Tyres and Fuel

Benefits to customers
  • Protection from risk of manufacturing and material defects
  • One up front payment only, Inflation protection from rising costs of parts and labour
  • Warranty can be transferred when vehicle is sold, better resale value
  • Genuine Ford Parts and Service
  • No out of pocket expenses
  • Non-Stop Coverage
You can read TBHP's thread about extended warranty (ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?) to see various views people have about this.

In the end, purchasing extended warranty is a risk-management decision, similar to first party insurance: either you choose to pay a committed amount now, to avoid potential unwanted expenses due to manufacturing issues, or save that money and risk a higher out-of-pocket expense.

Last edited by arunphilip : 21st October 2015 at 12:37.
Old 22nd October 2015, 13:57   #9508
BHPian

this is the copy paste chat with ford executive on their web site
dr Ashish 1:48:49 PM
hi,want to know why ford does not give on its premium vehicle ford ecosport power folding mirrors,when all other models of ford priced below have it?
V 1:49:58 PM
I do understand Sir, Ford Ecosport comes only with Power adjustable ORVM
We will take this as an feedback and surely share this with our concerned department
dr Ashish 1:51:44 PM
this is the very option which is preventing me from getting your vehicle.please introduce it soon to make the Ecosport the complete vehicle.thanks
logging out
V 1:52:30 PM
Sure Sir, we will definitely share your feedback
Is there anything else I may help you with?
dr Ashish 1:53:05 PM
no thanks
V 1:53:26 PM
Thank you for visiting us. To speak to us again on Chat, you may visit us at www.india.ford.com, anytime between 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
Old 24th October 2015, 19:51   #9509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I avoid filling the washer fluid tank with normal tap water as it gradually blocks the spray nozzles due to the hardness and various other substances which collect at the tip of the nozzles. I learnt it the hard way when the borewell water completely blocked the nozzles of my previous car. I use drinking water (RO) for this purpose.

For the leakage, it seems the connector is dislocated or the tank is damaged. Get it addressed the service centre.
I forgot to update but I got this fixed, the pipes were cut. The SA filled tap water and said that it doesn't make any difference!
Old 25th October 2015, 08:45   #9510
BHPian

I recently had the 40K service done for my 1.5P MT ecosport. Upon my request, they updated the ECU firmware( I guess they would have done it anyway) to something called as PCM 4 version. After the upgrade, The car feels a little more torquey at lower speeds, downshifting has reduced and one feels more confident while overtaking. Did a 1000km trip during this long weekend and absolutely loved these changes. A welcome upgrade, must say!
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks