Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2016, 06:59   #9841
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Friends, anyone aware of excessive oil consumption issue with the diesel ecosport at least for the initial batches ? I saw an ecosport of an office friend with its half engine opened up at the service center couple of days ago. The mechanic working on it said it was consuming excess oil and warranty has-been claimed with Ford to replace some parts of the engine. I did not have a chance to check this with its owner. May be I will check with him when I see him at the office next week. In the billing section too met an unhappy customer whose ecosport had the same issue. He was arguing with the service guy to reduce the non warranty items in the bill. Upon enquiry with the service folks, came to know that they had some 8 similar cases reported after they started operations in the last six months.
hardoop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 13:07   #9842
Senior - BHPian

How I wish there were 3rd row seats in the Ecosport, where my seven year old daughter and her friend could fit in comfortably for short family trips, as shown in trial seating pics in my Mars Red Ecosport:

Front facing option:

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20160313_165744.jpg

Side facing option:

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20160313_165834.jpg

I know there are safety issues involved, but seeing so many mini seven seaters mushrooming of late, I guess Ford could sell more Ecosports to the Indian families by offering removable 3rd row seats, and boost its sagging sales !
mooza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 13:17   #9843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
How I wish there were 3rd row seats in the Ecosport, where my seven year old daughter and her friend could fit in comfortably for short family trips, as shown in trial seating pics in my Mars Red Ecosport:

I know there are safety issues involved, but seeing so many mini seven seaters mushrooming of late, I guess Ford could sell more Ecosports to the Indian families by offering removable 3rd row seats, and boost its sagging sales !
You nailed it on the safety issues. But my view is that the boot space is too less, even for kids to be seated comfortably. Too small and claustrophobic. No point trying to ape competitors and offering something which might be used by a very negligible % of people and that too on one of those rare days.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 13:37   #9844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Too small and claustrophobic. No point trying to ape competitors and offering something which might be used by a very negligible % of people and that too on one of those rare days.

Well, my kid felt comfortable there. And it's not about aping the competition, just offering some more value in the product for four adults and three kids to travel in comfort within the city, in style, on weekends
Old 25th March 2016, 13:49   #9845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, my kid felt comfortable there. And it's not about aping the competition, just offering some more value in the product for four adults and three kids to travel in comfort within the city, in style, on weekends
For 4-5k, you can make the seats for yourself. Custom design, comfortable & Removable/foldable.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 15:18   #9846
BHPian

Quote:

Front facing option:

Attachment 1490277

Side facing option:

Attachment 1490278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
You nailed it on the safety issues. But my view is that the boot space is too less, even for kids to be seated comfortably. Too small and claustrophobic. No point trying to ape competitors and offering something which might be used by a very negligible % of people and that too on one of those rare days.

Cheers,
Raj
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
For 4-5k, you can make the seats for yourself. Custom design, comfortable & Removable/fold-able.
Guys,
I recently drove with completely tumbled up second row seats in my Eco-sport and spreading a plastic mat with a mattress over it. The set up was almost like a little queen bed(At least 70% of it) for my 2 year old Son and Wife to sleep comfortably for almost 3 hrs.
But once they woke up, it was hard for them to hold and sit.
Son was frequently falling down even for the slights brake when ever standing. Basically, they were not able find any convenient point to hold.

So, immediately converted back to normal mode.

It's definitely risky to have kids even in the boot area as they will be thrown away pretty frequently in all the directions and are pone to injuries from all sides.

Hence would not suggest this unless you have a proper Seat with seat belts.

Drive Safe!

Regards,
Maverick79
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 15:41   #9847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Within the city, in style.. and I small nudge on the back will be sufficient for severe injuries. I am happy that Ford is not trying the 7-seater stunt with the Ecosport.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 16:53   #9848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Guys,
I recently drove with completely tumbled up second row seats in my Eco-sport and spreading a plastic mat with a mattress over it. The set up was almost like a little queen bed(At least 70% of it) for my 2 year old Son and Wife to sleep comfortably for almost 3 hrs.
Whilst it brings back happy memories of a in-car-camping weekend away with a girlfriend in UK, it is no way to travel. Very dangerous.

I've had difficulties persuading passengers that, no, they cannot fully recline the front seat and sleep during a journey. Not unless, in the case of an accident, they would like several inches taken off their legs and spine. Humans are not designed to be telescopic!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 19:30   #9849
Senior - BHPian

Hello folks!

50000 km update is up on my ownership report.

Interestingly the cost per kilometre is approx INR 5.66 which in my view is reasonable (arrived by dividing total expences till date by number of kilometres.)

Please correct me if I missed out on any possible expence.
Appreciate inputs of your cost of ownership too

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3939390

Last edited by ecosport rules : 25th March 2016 at 19:33.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 21:14   #9850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
Friends, anyone aware of excessive oil consumption issue with the diesel ecosport at least for the initial batches. Upon enquiry with the service folks, came to know that they had some 8 similar cases reported after they started operations in the last six months.
Hardoop

I have heard of around 7 such cases, all in coastal Andhra Pradesh.(30k to 50k kms)(Ford has replaced half block for all these vehicles free of cost)

One particular case I witnessed was at Vizag where the Ecosport's engine oil chamber was empty on inspection.

Spoke to one of the officials from Ford during the Endaevour launch,he also admitted the same and said investigation is on.

He pointed out a peculiar association of this engine problem with all cars being from the sea coast

Last edited by ecosport rules : 25th March 2016 at 21:16.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 21:44   #9851
BHPian

@ecosport_rules

Thanks for confirming. Wondering why this has not been reported earlier in tbhp if this issue has impacted considerable number of ecosports. Or did I fail to search the forums thoroughly ?
Old 25th March 2016, 21:50   #9852
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, anyone aware of excessive oil consumption issue with the diesel ecosport at least for the initial batches ? I saw an ecosport of an office friend with its half engine opened up at the service center couple of days ago. The mechanic working on it said it was consuming excess oil and warranty has-been claimed with Ford to replace some parts of the engine. I did not have a chance to check this with its owner. May be I will check with him when I see him at the office next week. In the billing section too met an unhappy customer whose ecosport had the same issue. He was arguing with the service guy to reduce the non warranty items in the bill. Upon enquiry with the service folks, came to know that they had some 8 similar cases reported after they started operations in the last six months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hardoop

I have heard of around 7 such cases, all in coastal Andhra Pradesh.(30k to 50k kms)(Ford has replaced half block for all these vehicles free of cost)

One particular case I witnessed was at Vizag where the Ecosport's engine oil chamber was empty on inspection.

Spoke to one of the officials from Ford during the Endaevour launch,he also admitted the same and said investigation is on.

He pointed out a peculiar association of this engine problem with all cars being from the sea coast
My Ecosport TDCi is at the service center for the last 3 weeks due to this very same problem of excessive engine oil consumption(Done 39000kms.Problem started after service at 30000kms)Yet to get list of engine parts that need to be replaced, but things i heard are piston, engine block etc. Was informed some batch of the ecosport have this problem with poor quality engine components. Ford has approved warranty replacement and now awaiting shipment of engine parts from factory.So might need to wait another 2 weeks to get the car back. Wonder if the new engine will be as good as the factory fitment. Fingers crossed.
raj84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 22:28   #9853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitheeshsreeram View Post
No , there is no such indicator. I suggest you give the car for service at the earliest otherwise it can have an effect on warranty
Service due indicator comes on approximately every 10000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Got my SYNC updated in the last service.
One thing I have observed is that the new SYNC on the new Ecosport models display the track details when played via Bluetooth whereas the old ones show "Playing music via Bluetooth"
Thanks for the information .
Can you please elaborate the procedure to update the sync?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not really! Check this post by member Arun Philip; differences between the old and new are neatly explained.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3828000
Vb-san
They have indeed reversed the indicator stalks

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj84 View Post
My Ecosport TDCi is at the service center for the last 3 weeks due to this very same problem of excessive engine oil consumption.Done 39000kms. Wonder if the new engine will be as good as the factory fitment. Fingers crossed.
Let's hope you have a brand new engine at 39000kms
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 00:21   #9854
BHPian

Quote:
@ecosport_rules

Thanks for confirming. Wondering why this has not been reported earlier in tbhp if this issue has impacted considerable number of ecosports. Or did I fail to search the forums thoroughly ?
I am aware of at least one such issue which was reported on the Ecosport forum of TAI. The engine was replaced under warranty in that case.
amit.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 01:28   #9855
Senior - BHPian

Had gone to ford to show my Aspire where I got the following information:

Ecosport parts cost have been significantly reduced. Eg. The rear windshield that was costing around 7k is now sold for about 3k. Apparently this is true across all parts. Looks like Ford is finally getting it's act together.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed