Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2016, 17:58   #9901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Perfect,very reasonable.
Make sure you get a 4200 K HID'S bulbs, I am saying this because aftermarket guys usually recommend 6000K which are useless.

Did you get to check the Range Roverish model too?
Yeah - this chap also recommended the 4200 K.
Now I'll have to mull over this and decide.
He only has this one model for Ecosport.
Many thanks for your inputs.

Last edited by wilful : 4th April 2016 at 17:59.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 19:13   #9902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
My tdci had a minor transmission oil leak. They dissembled and reassembled the entire transmission assembly to put a new sealant. All under warranty.
Hi sunilg33, I've got oil seepage issue at the same spot in the photo posted by srinath34. Was your issue similar to the picture posted? As in, was it faint amount of fluid seeping out through the joint or was it leakage of oil where you can see drips of the fluid on the floor? I've given to the service center twice to stop the seepage and both the times they just retorqued the bolts. And after a week the fluid gets formed over the same spot but no spills or drops whatsoever. I'm again giving it to them tomorrow for the same issue and I'm kind of scared if they tell me that the transmission assembly has to be repaired/replaced since the car has run only 3500kms! Was there any trace of oil after your repair? I check after 4-5 days once the bolts are torqued and I can always find little trace of oil on my fingers when I touch!
satz581993Mille is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 21:24   #9903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
Hi sunilg33, I've got oil seepage issue at the same spot in the photo posted by srinath34. Was your issue similar to the picture posted? As in, was it faint amount of fluid seeping out through the joint or was it leakage of oil where you can see drips of the fluid on the floor? I've given to the service center twice to stop the seepage and both the times they just retorqued the bolts. And after a week the fluid gets formed over the same spot but no spills or drops whatsoever. I'm again giving it to them tomorrow for the same issue and I'm kind of scared if they tell me that the transmission assembly has to be repaired/replaced since the car has run only 3500kms! Was there any trace of oil after your repair? I check after 4-5 days once the bolts are torqued and I can always find little trace of oil on my fingers when I touch!
No there were no droplets of oil coming out, there was dust collected near the sealant which could be only because of oil leak. Tightening the bolts will not help if it's a repeated issue. The workshop might be avoiding reassembling of transmission because it's quite a time consuming work. It happened at 40k
It's run16k after that issue and nothing has come up in the last couple of servicing. I asked them to particularly check it.

The workshop then had told that my vehicle was the first to have this problem. If there are more instances of this problem then there could be some issue with the transmission assembly.
sunilg33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 23:11   #9904
BHPian

Hey guys.
I have been a silent observer of this thread as well as the Honda City thread.
Last I posted here for Ecosport Ecoboost vs Honda City i-Vtec.
But times have changed and so have the prices of both the cars. The City has gone up by almost 50k and the Ecosport diesel has been slashed down by almost a Lakh. :O thanks to the arrival of Brezza.
Now, I know it doesn't make much sense comparing a diesel car to a petrol one, but we are just concerned with the price tag and not the fuel type. If we go for the diesel one, we'll have a more guilt free travel since the fuel expenses will be low. If we go for the petrol one, yes I'll be more rev happy but it'll also burn a hole in our pocket.
Now we like to keep our cars for 6-7 years. So the long term reliability, durability and resale value is a concern. And I think both the cars do pretty well in that department, but the Ecosport has a major benefit in terms of durability given the superb built quality compared to the infamous ultra light City.
I know the City is the best when it comes to space, visibility, roominess but the Ford ain't that bad, provided one ignored the thick A-pillar and the small rear windows.
I have a few questions for you guys, I'll be glad if you help me out here.
1) What sought of FE should I expect from both the cars in normal city condition? No bumper to bumper.
90% city 10% highway.
2) The Ford needs only 1 service per year whereas the Honda demands 2.
How much money should I expect to spend an year on both the cars?
3) Is the Ecosport uncomfortable with 5 people? Does it feel claustrophobic?
4) Which one has a better ride quality and is more stable at triple digit speeds?
5) Which of the following cars will yield a better resale value after 5 years?
6) When can I expect a new generation Ecosport? And if it is 2017, will it make sense to buy the current version in 2016?
7) I know about the i-Vtecs being very reliable, what about the TDCi motor?
8) Does the clutch of the Ecosport feel heavy after sometime? Also how is the gearshift quality? When I test drove it, it was very rubbery.
9) Is the rear seat reclinable only on the petrol version of the Ecosport?

The sales of ANHC has been very consistent and above 5-6k per month. The Fords' sales has been declining over the period of time. This is something that I fear, if Ford will discontinue it after a while or not!
I would love all of yours inputs especially from those who have driven both the cars.
And I am not comparing the i-Dtec because it's way too pricey.

Thanks in advance.
iss1307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 00:56   #9905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Yeah - this chap also recommended the 4200 K.
Now I'll have to mull over this and decide.
He only has this one model for Ecosport.
Many thanks for your inputs.
Go for it, you will love the upgrade.
Glad that you will be getting the 4000 K

Please keep us posted with your decision and experience thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Hey guys.
If we go for the diesel one, we'll have a more guilt free travel since the fuel expenses will be low. If we go for the petrol one, yes I'll be more rev happy but it'll also burn a hole in our pocket.
A)You and your pocket will be happier driving the diesel ecosport than a petrol Honda.
The torque is simply addictive.

Now we like to keep our cars for 6-7 years. So the long term reliability, durability and resale value is a concern. And I think both the cars do pretty well in that department,
A) True.

but the Ecosport has a major benefit in terms of durability given the superb built quality compared to the infamous ultra light City.-
A)true that.The Ecosport is much more confidence inspiring. No comparison there.

I know the City is the best when it comes to space, visibility, roominess but the Ford ain't that bad, provided one ignored the thick A-pillar and the small rear windows.
A)True

I have a few questions for you guys, I'll be glad if you help me out here.
1) What sought of FE should I expect from both the cars in normal city condition? No bumper to bumper.
90% city 10% highway.
A)My Honda City gives me 10 kmpl in city.
Ecosport around 13 kmpl.

2) The Ford needs only 1 service per year whereas the Honda demands 2.
How much money should I expect to spend an year on both the cars?
A)Ecosport is cheaper than city for sure
My ownership report on Ecosport has all the expenses till date(page 28)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...red-india.html

3) Is the Ecosport uncomfortable with 5 people? Does it feel claustrophobic?
A)Always seated only 4 people so cannot answer this.May be others can pitch in.

4) Which one has a better ride quality and is more stable at triple digit speeds?
A)Ecosport has better ride and feels more planted.

5) Which of the following cars will yield a better resale value after 5 years?
A)No idea but, I think Honda will win here

6) When can I expect a new generation Ecosport? And if it is 2017, will it make sense to buy the current version in 2016?
2017 would make more sense but that's a personal choice.

7) I know about the i-Vtecs being very reliable, what about the TDCi motor?
Ford uses this TDCI engine in Ecosport, Fiesta, Figo and Aspire, so that answers your question about discontinuing the engine.
I know of some Ecosport's done over 170000 km with only periodic maintenance and still going good.So it is so far so good. We are yet to see how it behaves post 200000 kms and yes as you rightly said Honda is already proven several times for reliability

8) Does the clutch of the Ecosport feel heavy after sometime? Also how is the gearshift quality? When I test drove it, it was very rubbery.
Clutch feel of the Ecosport is definitely heavier than the Honda petrol but much lighter compared to diesel standards

9) Is the rear seat reclinable only on the petrol version of the Ecosport?
Rear seat is reclinable in all titanium and above models

The sales of ANHC has been very consistent and above 5-6k per month. The Fords' sales has been declining over the period of time.
No idea about sales figure.
But It is a fact that Honda sells more than Ford.

This is something that I fear, if Ford will discontinue it after a while or not!
Answered above

I would love all of yours inputs especially from those who have driven both the cars.
A)I own both the cars.
I can understand your confusion.
I drive both the Ecosport(TDCI) and the Honda city(iVTEC)

Ecosport is substantially more solid than the tinny light City.
Solidity and build quality is evident all over.
I have answered your queries in the order asked .

Hope it helps!
Keep us posted with your decision.
Happy motoring

Last edited by ecosport rules : 5th April 2016 at 01:18.
ecosport rules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 01:13   #9906
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2016 at 09:36.
iss1307 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th April 2016, 01:20   #9907
Senior - BHPian

@ iss1307

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-india-28.html

Link to the 28th page regarding maintenance for 50000kms

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2016 at 09:36. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 5th April 2016, 11:33   #9908
Senior - BHPian

Happened to be at Maruti showroom and checked out the Vitara Brezza.
They had Blue/white combination ZDi+ for display.
Vitara vs Ecosport my opinion:

1. Brezza is wider as per spec sheet and is clearly evident when seen in person.
2. The Ecosport is more taller and higher bonnet makes it look more butcher.
3. The rear bench in Vitara Brezza is about 8 inches wider than Ecosport. But the problem is extra 8 inches is not completely usable. The door pads intrude.
4. The boot is wider however is smaller than Ecosport. Taller suitcases/baggages would be better off in Ecosport.
5. There is no comparison when it comes to solidity. Ecosport is miles ahead.
6. Interiors felt outright cheap in Vitara, clearly a segment lower to Ecosport. Infact the Ciaz interiors felt much better. The door pads flexed just like my Kwid.
7. The front seats of Ecosport felt much better. Gives you a big car feel. The seat fabric is better in Brezza, but the Ecosport Titanium+ gets leather.
8. No leather wraps in steering wheel as well in Vitara. The Silver inserts looks cheap. The faux skid plates appeared to be made of bucket plastic grade.
9. The dashboard design in Vitara looks old unlike the futuristic dash of Ecosport. The top glove box, did not open properly after pressing the button.
10. Coming to feature set, Vitara gets Cruise Control, Projectors, Touch screen media. Ecosport gets 6 Airbags, Leather seats. I would pick the latter anyday.

Conclusion:

The Vitara felt outright cheaper. While Vitara has some additional features, loses out some important ones in comparison. The Design(which is my personal opinion) is nothing outstanding considering it is coming after 3 years of Ecosport. The Dual colour tone is the only one which makes head turn, else would pass on as a regular Maruti.

And coming to dealer, I was there as a friend of mine was taking delivery of Ciaz and man Maruti is ages behind. the delivery was delayed by 8 hours, some of the accessories were missing and they handed over biscuits(instead of chocolates). The delivery process of my Kwid was much better.

To conclude if you don't have a Ford dealer in your town , not willing to travel 50-100Km for service and need that wider rear bench go for Vitara. In every other department Ecosport trumps Vitara hands down, despite being 3 years old. If I was in a market now for a sub 4 meter SUV, would have still bought Ecosport.
PrideRed is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 13:15   #9909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If I was in a market now for a sub 4 meter SUV, would have still bought Ecosport.
My thoughts exactly. The interiors felt 'cheap' for an 8L plus car. Even the Baleno gets better plastics.

Worse, the LDi/VDi variants don't get ABS & co-driver airbag - they're optional for an extra 15K. I don't understand the rationale behind not having these safety features compulsorily included in an 8L plus car that can easily do upwards of 120. Like the extra 15K would matter to buyers who are ready to shell out 8L plus.
hemant.kamat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 16:22   #9910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To conclude if you don't have a Ford dealer in your town , not willing to travel 50-100Km for service and need that wider rear bench go for Vitara. In every other department Ecosport trumps Vitara hands down, despite being 3 years old. If I was in a market now for a sub 4 meter SUV, would have still bought Ecosport.
PrideRed
That was a very detailed comparison.
Why dont you a start a separate thread on the same.
I am sure it will benefit many on and off the forum.

To add to your observations
1)Ecosport doesn't vibrate much at start and stop of the engine, where as I was surprised to feel the shudder in the Brezza
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 16:50   #9911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PrideRed
That was a very detailed comparison.
Why dont you a start a separate thread on the same.
I am sure it will benefit many on and off the forum.

To add to your observations
1)Ecosport doesn't vibrate much at start and stop of the engine, where as I was surprised to feel the shudder in the Brezza
Well a thread can be started but I am pretty sure, It would end up as a bashing thread. Coming to comparison, I am not saying Brezza is bad, but majority just don't consider the competition even if they are substantially better product. What baffles me is even reputed magazines like Autocar fall under this majority category.
For Example as per Autocar, Ecosport handles and rides better, engine has better drivability, looks futuristic, better interior quality, offers better safety. Just because Brezza is a Maruti and has slightly wider rear bench as a overall package Brezza seems better .
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 19:17   #9912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well a thread can be started but I am pretty sure, It would end up as a bashing thread. Coming to comparison, I am not saying Brezza is bad, but majority just don't consider the competition even if they are substantially better product. What baffles me is even reputed magazines like Autocar fall under this majority category.
For Example as per Autocar, Ecosport handles and rides better, engine has better drivability, looks futuristic, better interior quality, offers better safety. Just because Brezza is a Maruti and has slightly wider rear bench as a overall package Brezza seems better.

I've seen the autocar review.It was hilarious.
He said Ecosport scored better in all departments independently but final choice was Brezza

Nevertheless I think you should start the thread, it will atleast benefit people (both on and off the forum)who are willing to genuinely compare the competition.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 5th April 2016 at 19:19.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 19:38   #9913
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations

Very interesting decision, buying a 3 year old Ecosport instead of the all new Brezza.
Comparitively,,6 airbags is the only additional feature extra in the Ecosport.

Curious to know what tipped the scale towards the blue oval ?
Sorry for the late reply had a hectic schedule in college. Initially my dad considered buying the trend+ variant in late february and then came the Brezza prices and to our surprise Ford which constantly increased the ecosport prices ever since its launch suddenly announced a massive price cut and my dad looked no further immediately booked the titanium. This price cut makes Ecosport as one of the most VFM and a well built car below 10lakhs currently available in India. Further my grand father has a swift vdi, and brezza sharing many parts with the swift, it doesn't feel special and that too tilted our decision towards the blue oval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Congratulations. I respect the choice. Better driving pleasure, better all-round quality and safety levels. So what if the brezza is new, huh? I personally too think the Blue Oval is miles ahead as a better automobile. No skimping on important stuff here.
It may be a Compact SUV with 200mm Ground clearance but the Ford DNA is still evident in this. Nothing can match a Ford in driving pleasure. I experienced it in Ikon and now I am experiencing it in Ecosport.
hareesh3395 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 19:38   #9914
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Hey guys.
I have been a silent observer of this thread as well as the Honda City thread.
Last I posted here for Ecosport Ecoboost vs Honda City i-Vtec.
But times have changed and so have the prices of both the cars. The City has gone up by almost 50k and the Ecosport diesel has been slashed down by almost a Lakh. :O thanks to the arrival of Brezza.
Quote:
I can understand your confusion.
I drive both the Ecosport(TDCI) and the Honda city(iVTEC)

Ecosport is substantially more solid than the tinny light City.
Solidity and build quality is evident all over.
I have answered your queries in the order asked .

Hope it helps!
Keep us posted with your decision.
Happy motoring
Exactly my situation. After lot of search i realize there are very few options when it comes to proper compact SUV. Creta is overpriced and i didn't like the driving dynamics that much having driven Ford Fiesta for the last 7 years.

S-cross drives very well, but vehicle just does not look like it is 15lacs material (1.6L Alpha).

Narrowed down the EcoSport Diesel and City Petrol. iDTEC is out as it sounds and vibrates like a truck engine.

Now since you own both, my question to you is:

1. Ride quality of EcoSport in city driving and the ride quality of Honda City on highways.

2. I find suspension to be too firm and throwing people around on bad roads. May be i feel this way since i am used to driving sedans. What is you experience on this aspect?

3. I am also bit concerned about the blind spots in EcoSport not just the A-pillar, but the sides as well; if you have to take a U-turn you will have to be careful about the median position, and any objects lying on the road. May be i will get used to it as i start driving, but your feedback is welcome.

@PrideRed: I felt the same way about Brezza when i test drove it. Its not worth what it is priced for. Very cheap interiors, noisy engine & poor sound insulation, below average suspension to name a few..

Last edited by oss : 5th April 2016 at 19:41.
oss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 20:05   #9915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareesh3395 View Post
This price cut makes Ecosport as one of the most VFM and a well built car below 10lakhs currently available in India. Further my grand father has a swift vdi, and brezza sharing many parts with the swift, it doesn't feel special and that too tilted our decision towards the blue oval.
It may be a Compact SUV with 200mm Ground clearance but the Ford DNA is still evident in this. Nothing can match a Ford in driving pleasure. I experienced it in Ikon and now I am experiencing it in Ecosport.
Congratulations once again.
Fords are driver centric cars for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Exactly my situation. After lot of search i realize there are very few options when it comes to proper compact SUV.

S-cross drives very well, but vehicle just does not look like it is 15lacs material (1.6L Alpha).
A)True that but 1.6 L is gem of an engine.

Narrowed down the EcoSport Diesel and City Petrol. iDTEC is out as it sounds and vibrates like a truck engine.
A) Felt the same about iDTEC in Honda city but changed my mind once I drove the new jazz iDtec

1. Ride quality of EcoSport in city driving and the ride quality of Honda City on highways.
A) I like the Ecosport both in city and highway.
The Honda city is quite bouncy like the verna, don'tfeel planted.

2. I find suspension to be too firm and throwing people around on bad roads. May be i feel this way since i am used to driving sedans. What is you experience on this aspect?
A) Suspension is firm to maximize handling and minimize body roll but it has downsides , I agree.
I still like the Ecosport better

3. I am also bit concerned about the blind spots in EcoSport not just the A-pillar, but the sides as well; if you have to take a U-turn you will have to be careful about the median position, and any objects lying on the road. May be i will get used to it as i start driving, but your feedback is welcome.
A)Yes, initially I felt it too but thanks to my Civic's deep dashboard, I got used to it pretty soon.
Also if you sit further back with quite a bit of recline like me ,the thick A pillar poses a problem.
I am saying this because my wife sits a little forward and doesn’t complain at all.
Answered all you quaries below the question itself.
Hope it helped.
Let me know if you need anything else.

One more thing you have to note is that the Honda city somehow has more snob value than the Ecosport.
Infact people who don't have knowledge about cars think city is a better car and is also 3 to 4 lakhs more expensive than the Ecosport

Last edited by ecosport rules : 5th April 2016 at 20:10.

Most Viewed