Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 19:06   #10531
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
I used to have the ABS plastic engine guard by Ford and it worked well. Suddenly yesterday while I was checking the underbody noticed the skid plate is no longer there. A entire engine guard has disappeared.

This reminds me that the guard was attached to the body with 4 nut bolts. Last couple of days I have been driving one a very bad patch and those nuts somehow either got loosened or broke.

The skid plate is very very essential for me, hence I need another one. But I am not going to buy the same material again. In Aliexpress found one aluminium skid plate, how do you think this will be -

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-...a-02cf0123d97f

Anyone here has any aftermarket engine guard ?
Hey, I was told by ford guys not to put a metal one, since it has been designed in such a way that during a crash the engine will dismantle itself and fall to the ground, and equipping the bottom with metal is not recommended and tested for that. I would suggest you ask the ford guys about your old engine guard as it costs ~8k and it cannot fall by itself just like that.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th August 2016 at 17:42. Reason: Restoring. Grammar.
Old 17th August 2016, 21:29   #10532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Hey, I was told by ford guys not to put a metal one, since it has been designed in such a way that during a crash the engine will dismantle itself and fall to the ground, and equipping the bottom with metal is not recommended and tested for that. I would suggest you ask the ford guys about your old engine guard as it costs ~8k and it cannot fall by itself just like that.
The engine guard we have made is made of aluminium and can take minor hits from stones. No engine guard can take a car crash and protect the engine. Can you then explain how sturdy metal engine guards from the company in other cars work during a crash?

Last edited by aah78 : 18th August 2016 at 17:42. Reason: Quoted post was edited.
Old 17th August 2016, 21:49   #10533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
The engine guard we have made is made of aluminium and can take minor hits from stones. No engine guard can take a car crash and protect the engine. Can you then explain how sturdy metal engine guards from the company in other cars work during a crash?
Actually when i booked my vehicle, i told them i would fit an after market engine guard below and the metro ford guys told me something like this, i am not sure if thats right, but i got ford authorized engine guard and ended up paying ~8k. You may need to check from their customer care if that theory is true or not. All the best.
Old 18th August 2016, 12:18   #10534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
I'm interested in fitting a similar one, but cannot find a metal guard anywhere in India. The ones on AliExpress work out to 12K+ with shipping, not sure how much excise duty will be levied.
Could you send me the design drawing of the aluminum guard that you fabricated; I could try getting a local workshop to fabricate one for me.
Thanks!
Old 18th August 2016, 13:15   #10535
BHPian

Quote:
Actually when i booked my vehicle, i told them i would fit an after market engine guard below and the metro ford guys told me something like this, i am not sure if thats right, but i got ford authorized engine guard and ended up paying ~8k. You may need to check from their customer care if that theory is true or not. All the best.
I service the vehicle regularly Metro ford and the Service Advisers feel it's better than the company provided one. Advantage with the metal one is after a hit it only deforms whereas the ABS plastic guard might crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post
I'm interested in fitting a similar one, but cannot find a metal guard anywhere in India. The ones on AliExpress work out to 12K+ with shipping, not sure how much excise duty will be levied.
Could you send me the design drawing of the aluminum guard that you fabricated; I could try getting a local workshop to fabricate one for me.
Thanks!
I am not sure about the fit of the Aliexpress one as the Ecosport in china is slightly bigger than the one here. I have put the details of the costs and dimensions in this post. PM me if you need more assistance
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3484931
sunilg33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 14:44   #10536
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford does adopt a design where in the engine drops to the ground in the event of a major accident and this is supposed to prevent the engine getting into the passenger compartment.

This is a reason to avoid putting a metal engine guard below the engine. Ford does have a PVC one as accessory and only that one must be used.

For protection from stones this is sufficient. It will not protect from damage due to hitting a major object from below but one does have higher ground clearance to start with compared to other vehicles.

Not all companies adopt this "engine dropping" technique towards crash protection so other companies may infact have a metal under body protection.

Each company many adopt a different method to arrive at good NCAP scores. EcoSport score is acceptable.

I believe even the Fiesta Classic (previous gen Fiesta) adopted a similar design. Customers would then say that they can see the bottom from the engine bay and there is no protection and this logic was presented to them.
ACM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 16:04   #10537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Ford does adopt a design where in the engine drops to the ground in the event of a major accident and this is supposed to prevent the engine getting into the passenger compartment.

This is a reason to avoid putting a metal engine guard below the engine. Ford does have a PVC one as accessory and only that one must be used.

For protection from stones this is sufficient. It will not protect from damage due to hitting a major object from below but one does have higher ground clearance to start with compared to other vehicles.
@ACM, Thanks for clarifying this, even i was told the same and thats the reason i avoided after market one. when doing under chassis protection from 3M i checked the quality of the engine guard put by ford and it did not look like any cheap plastic, it was thick with proper mountings and looked it could handle the stones very well.
Old 18th August 2016, 17:08   #10538
BHPian

Quote:
@ACM, Thanks for clarifying this, even i was told the same and thats the reason i avoided after market one. when doing under chassis protection from 3M i checked the quality of the engine guard put by ford and it did not look like any cheap plastic, it was thick with proper mountings and looked it could handle the stones very well.
The default engine guard isnt made of plastic, its some kind of hard paper board or similar. Please correct me if I am wrong. The one Fords sells as an accessory is made of ABS plastic.

The paper board one can stand against stone chips but not stones on high speed. It is very important that a car like EcoSport which is called Urban-Suv has a proper sump guard at least. I have also heard about the Engine design part, but then how would you save the sump from sudden craters ? The default engine cover isnt enough.
Old 18th August 2016, 17:56   #10539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
The default engine guard isnt made of plastic, its some kind of hard paper board or similar. Please correct me if I am wrong. The one Fords sells as an accessory is made of ABS plastic.
Yes you are right, the stock one comes with foam like material but not that strong, the one i am talking about is a additional accessory which costs approx 8k which is made of thick ABS plastic.

ford must have given along with the vehicle at least in top end model.
johnruben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 20:24   #10540
BHPian

Has anyone attempted to fit an oil catch can to the 1.5 tdci? How beneficial would it be for the engine, if it all? Here's a link for an oil catch can fitment for the 1.6 tdci : http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums...ocus-mk2-mk25/

Seems like an easy job.
An alternative idea is to (with the same purpose of not letting oil to be ingested by the air intake) block the breather on the intake side, and fit a "total loss" breather (on a long hose) that exhausts under the side of the car (so no burnt gasses/ oil droplets etc enter the engine air intake)
Any comments/suggestions from experts?
Old 19th August 2016, 10:25   #10541
Senior - BHPian

Got my 2nd year service done yesterday (at almost 19000 kms).
It cost me Rs.4173/-
Engine oil was changed as also air filter. Attaching a copy of the detailed bill.
I have two grumbles against Malayalam Ford - they again inflicted 2 small stains (oil methinks) on the front seat - last year it was the rear seat headrest. This despite my words of caution when I gave it for service.
Secondly, I had to fork out cash because their credit card machine was kaput. Come on Mal Ford! One machine for such a large service centre - and that not working?
Luckily I had cash with me else I would have to hoof it to the nearest ATM some distance away from the workshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-new-doc-35_1.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-new-doc-35_2.jpg  

wilful is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 12:17   #10542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
they again inflicted 2 small stains (oil methinks) on the front seat - last year it was the rear seat headrest. This despite my words of caution when I gave it for service.
Don't they put a plastic cover on the driver seat to prevent this?

I'm not sure when this soiling would have happened, but I assume it would have been during the washing and not servicing (no other reason for them to go near the rear seats). This is why I always ask them NOT to wash my car when it goes for servicing, but prefer getting it washed at my regular car wash. Not only does this avoid such hassles, but I find that they often have fewer wash bays compared to service bays, so performing a car wash inevitably adds an hour or more to the service time. Plus, the lesser others drive my vehicle, the better!

Quote:
Secondly, I had to fork out cash because their credit card machine was kaput.
I hope you filled out the feedback form only after this, and captured this in the feedback?

Also, yours is the AT - did they tell you what they did and why they did the following items, under warranty? Were there any complaints you reported?
  • Reprogram PCM/TCM and perform Clutch Adaptive Learn Procedure
  • Diagnose and replace Transmission Control Module
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-new-doc-35_2.jpg
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) is an important (and expensive - costs over 700 US dollars) component of your EcoSport's automatic transmission. Its often the source of problems with the gearbox too, and Ford have been generally good in replacing it free of charge when they find it has defects. I'm curious what has triggered such a replacement.

Last edited by arunphilip : 19th August 2016 at 12:31.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 13:40   #10543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Don't they put a plastic cover on the driver seat to prevent this?

I'm not sure when this soiling would have happened, but I assume it would have been during the washing and not servicing (no other reason for them to go near the rear seats). This is why I always ask them NOT to wash my car when it goes for servicing, but prefer getting it washed at my regular car wash. Not only does this avoid such hassles, but I find that they often have fewer wash bays compared to service bays, so performing a car wash inevitably adds an hour or more to the service time. Plus, the lesser others drive my vehicle, the better!

I hope you filled out the feedback form only after this, and captured this in the feedback?

Also, yours is the AT - did they tell you what they did and why they did the following items, under warranty? Were there any complaints you reported?
Attachment 1543655
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) is an important (and expensive - costs over 700 US dollars) component of your EcoSport's automatic transmission. Its often the source of problems with the gearbox too, and Ford have been generally good in replacing it free of charge when they find it has defects. I'm curious what has triggered such a replacement.
Thanks for all those points raised by you.
Yes - I guess they do put those plastic covers (at least I've seen them do it in Honda) - but here I had to leave the car and rush to office. Maybe this one slipped a bit?
I have raised both the issues - this one and the credit card fiasco, twice - in the feedback form at the service centre and the feedback call that I received today.
Actually - re the transmission module and PCM - I didn't not pay much attention (to be honest) - assumed it is to be done for the 20 K service. There used to be an occasional judder when quick shifts took place at slow speeds and sudden stop starts.
Now that you have pointed out the importance of this, I shall give them a call and find out. Thank you again! The funny thing is the service adviser Jinu said everything is fine and the report mentions green on all issues.
Old 19th August 2016, 16:11   #10544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Got my 2nd year service done yesterday (at almost 19000 kms).
Quote:
Attachment 1543655
Quote:
Actually - re the transmission module and PCM - I didn't not pay much attention (to be honest) - assumed it is to be done for the 20 K service. There used to be an occasional judder when quick shifts took place at slow speeds and sudden stop starts.
Another BHPian, Murugan, got his replaced under warranty at 26k kms.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4007133

This is a worrying trend; more so, how quietly it was done by Ford.

Please check with your SA why it was done, and why so casually.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 18:48   #10545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Another BHPian, Murugan, got his replaced under warranty at 26k kms.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4007133

This is a worrying trend; more so, how quietly it was done by Ford.

Please check with your SA why it was done, and why so casually.
I called the service adviser and put this question to him. He says nothing has been replaced. They've just done the software update. Just that it's been worded wrongly. I hope so.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks