Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2016, 09:47   #10591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvshaun View Post
So some interesting observation. The MID shows a fuel efficiency of 13.1 KMPL (my daily drive is dense traffic on ORR, Bangalore). This is when I got apprehensive of the Ecosport TDCI FE.

However, when I calculate on tankful to tankful method - the efficiency comes to 14.5 to 15 KMPL. Litres / MID Trip -
I too had a similar experience. The MID indicated 16.1 KMPL on a 450 KMs drive whereas the tankful to tankful filling corresponded to 19.2 KMPL.
Mine is a TDCI.

Last edited by rajeev k : 1st September 2016 at 09:49.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 10:10   #10592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Hm, that is weird. For the first few months, I was calculating mileage and comparing to MID, and found the difference was just 0.1 km/L. Since then, I've never manually calculated.

To rule out any other reasons for the variance you're seeing - a) are you using auto-cutoff when topping up? Also, are you topping up at the same fuel station each time? b) Are you resetting the MID each time you top up?

Btw, the comment of mine that you quoted was a discussion about the petrol automatic, not a diesel. Just thought you should know, in case you thought my comments were about the TDCi.
OT - You get 15 km/L on the Bangalore ORR! Man, I'm jealous
Sorry about getting the context incorrect. Thankfully, it was still about FE. LOL.

There are mixed views (mostly negative) on doing top ups. So I avoid any top ups and stop at auto cut off. Also, with a huge tank - there is no real need, unless one is going on a long highway drive. Off Topic: Are top ups actually bad?

Also, I get my fuel from Shell (always) and usually from a bunk that is close to home (graphite India).

Not resetting the MID at refueling will be criminal - if the point of discussion is FE. So, thats the first thing to do upon refueling.

The only hack that I use for beating ORR is leaving home before 8 AM and leaving office by 5.30 PM. It doesn't do much, still shaves off 25% of travel time than usual. I am sure that extra time in traffic will get the FE down. So that's a win-win. Faster Drive + Better FE
srvshaun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 10:35   #10593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are mixed views (mostly negative) on doing top ups. So I avoid any top ups and stop at auto cut off. Also, with a huge tank - there is no real need, unless one is going on a long highway drive. Off Topic: Are top ups actually bad?
My bad - when I said "topping up" I meant filling up, not the "top up" that the attendants ask.

From the perspective of measuring mileage, top ups are bad because they are inconsistent. Topping up is done by eye, so the quantity can vary. The other reason people avoid topping up is because it can splash out of the tank and look unsightly, or damage plastics.

Quote:
Also, I get my fuel from Shell (always) and usually from a bunk that is close to home (graphite India). Not resetting the MID at refueling will be criminal - if the point of discussion is FE. So, thats the first thing to do upon refueling.
OK, if you're filling from the same bunk (and Shell at that), it removes a lot of variables. And sorry, but I had to ask about resetting MID! Its like a TV user manual's troubleshooting section "Why is my TV not turning on?" "Check if it is plugged in" - duh.

I will compare my MID against a tank-to-tank calculation the next time I fill it up. I know there were other owners who've previously reported the MID was accurate, so we'll also wait to hear their views on your question, whether they've noticed any discrepancies over time.

Quote:
The only hack that I use for beating ORR is leaving home before 8 AM and leaving office by 5.30 PM. It doesn't do much, still shaves off 25% of travel time than usual.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 10:48   #10594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I too had a similar experience. The MID indicated 16.1 KMPL on a 450 KMs drive whereas the tankful to tankful filling corresponded to 19.2 KMPL.
Mine is a TDCI.
Wow. That's nearly 20% more than the MID average. I am wondering if Ford calibrated the onboard FE calculations on Indian driving cycles. Under reporting 15-20% of FE will give the brand a somewhat negative perception on FE - especially when competition fails to provide this data (most Hyundais) or shows inflated numbers.

An inflated MID FE by 10-15% of a competing product can make the end user feel that Fords are almost 30% less fuel efficient than a competing product.

This becomes even more important in the context of studies that suggest Indians are extremely critical of fuel efficiency.
srvshaun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 10:54   #10595
BHPian

I'm just curious. I had an i10 earlier and most likely upgrading to an Ecosport. I never checked mileage on my i10. When you say tankful-to-tankful method, how does that work? Do you actually have to wait till the tank empties and you carry extra fuel with you?
Old 1st September 2016, 11:44   #10596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
When you say tankful-to-tankful method, how does that work? Do you actually have to wait till the tank empties and you carry extra fuel with you?
Ha ha, no, its not like that, you don't have to empty your tank. Its probably better termed as a "tank full" to "tank full" - i.e. the measurements are taken using a full tank as a baseline.
  1. Fill up your tank until the automatic cutoff in the fuel dispenser cuts the flow.
  2. Zero the trip meter.
  3. Drive as long as you want - generally half tank or more.
  4. Fill up your tank until the automatic cutoff in the fuel dispenser cuts the flow, and note the liters filled in.
  5. Note the trip meter, and calculate mileage.
  6. Repeat.

The second time you fill your tank, you know exactly how much fuel was used by your running in step 3, since both the times you've filled up your tank to the same level (i.e. the level where the automatic cutoff is triggered).

Last edited by arunphilip : 1st September 2016 at 11:58.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 13:56   #10597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Mine is a TDCI.
Even i observered the same, MID shows at-least 2-3 kms lesser than tankful method.
Old 1st September 2016, 15:20   #10598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Even i observered the same, MID shows at-least 2-3 kms lesser than tankful method.
Same with me also. Tank full measurements end up marginally higher than the mid values. Whereas in other cars I've seen the other way around.
Old 1st September 2016, 17:42   #10599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post
I got the stuff from the US, so, the prices may not be good for comparison in the local market. If it is of any use, here is what i paid

SubWoofer – $ 70
Polk component speaker – $ 120
Rockford Fosgate speakers – $ 47
Rockford Fosgate Amp - $ 180

I have been using a set of Rockford Fosgate prime speakers and an Alpine amp for about 7 years and have changed on to two cars ....so, pretty reliable I would say. I have not done any dampening, ....have found Ecosport to be well insulated from external sounds.
I have finally upgraded some parts of my Eco's ICE. I have added the following stuff:
DLS RCS6.2 2 Way Components in front.
Digital Designs Amplifier (4 channel)
Focal Sub Woofer
Dampening on front doors

Pending Upgrades:
Rainbow Components in Rear
Mono Amp for Sub woofer
Dampening on all four doors, boot door and roof.

Last edited by BB311 : 1st September 2016 at 17:42. Reason: wrong spelling
BB311 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 22:18   #10600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I have finally upgraded some parts of my Eco's ICE. I have added the following stuff:
DLS RCS6.2 2 Way Components in front.
Digital Designs Amplifier (4 channel)
Focal Sub Woofer
Dampening on front doors

Pending Upgrades:
Rainbow Components in Rear
Mono Amp for Sub woofer
Dampening on all four doors, boot door and roof.
Oh! Thank god! I couldn't see Ecosport posts in the ICE section. The salesman and Ford was confused when I asked if I could keep the HU and change the speakers. I thought I'd be stuck with the default speakers.
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:27   #10601
BHPian

Quote:
So some interesting observation. The MID shows a fuel efficiency of 13.1 KMPL (my daily drive is dense traffic on ORR, Bangalore). This is when I got apprehensive of the Ecosport TDCI FE.

However, when I calculate on tankful to tankful method - the efficiency comes to 14.5 to 15 KMPL. Litres / MID Trip - I have checked the MID tripmeter for accuracy and the trip meter distance travelled calculations seem fine.
The opposite is true for my Ecoboost. The tank to tank calculations are about 1.5 Kms less than the MID readings.
Old 2nd September 2016, 14:42   #10602
Senior - BHPian

My ES TDCi has done 45k kms without any glitches except battery issues. Today while driving to work, the engine check light came on. There was nothing else possible to do except reach office so i continued driving for the remaining 20kms. I did not feel anything wrong with how the car and the electronics inside worked.

Has anyone had the engine check light come on? Any ideas about the most probable causes even when the car drives like before? I want to go to service center a little prepared to validate their diagnosis hence the question.

Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:57   #10603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
The opposite is true for my Ecoboost. The tank to tank calculations are about 1.5 Kms less than the MID readings.
So the Ecoboost MID is optimistic whereas TDCI diesel is the other way around.

Perhaps different algorithms make for this striking difference of almost 25% between the MID FE for different engine options of the same car.
Old 2nd September 2016, 19:29   #10604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
My ES TDCi has done 45k kms without any glitches except battery issues. Today while driving to work, the engine check light came on. Has anyone had the engine check light come on? Any ideas about the most probable causes even when the car drives like before?
Since yours is a Titanium, were there any messages shown on the Sync screen? When you left work, did the light come on again?

Common messages associated with the engine check light are listed below - these are what appear on the Sync screen. There are other warnings that can also appear, but they are associated with the ABS, airbags, power steering, etc., all of which have their own dedicated warning lights on the instrument console. If you want to refer to the list of messages, take a look at page 53 of the EcoSport owner's manual.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20160902-2.jpg
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20160902-3.jpg
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20160902-4.jpg

In any case, do take it to Ford's service center for them to scan for errors. If you've any doubts about what they find, share with us their findings to see if we can help. One important thing, though - if the service guys find an error, make a note of the error code and ask them to explain why it came, and what corrective action is required. Don't let them just clear the code and wash their hands off saying its sorted (there are some times this will work, but other times the error will only come back after some time).

If you've got an OBD scanner (or if you can borrow one), then you can connect it to check for error codes yourself before taking it to the service guys.

Last edited by arunphilip : 2nd September 2016 at 19:31. Reason: Resized image for watermark
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 15:30   #10605
BHPian

Is there absolutely no way (DIY?) we could get Sync 2 setup on our Ecosports? Newer cars in US even have Sync 3! :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks