Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2016, 12:56   #10666
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I would be going back to the service centre for the same issue 4th time in less than 6000 kms - Check Engine light.
The suspension/components replacement seem fine given our road conditions, though I wonder if there was a reason they were changed at separate intervals? Also, I think you were among the first to fit a Rogers kit for your suspension. Do you think (or did Ford mention) if that had any role to play in your suspension needing replacement? I think you mentioned your dealer is Satyam Ford?

On the Check Engine Light issue - and the Ford dealer's inability to troubleshoot it - it is both annoying and disheartening. I remember you posting about this issue back in June, and to still see this issue dragging on is frustrating. And for crying out loud - yours is the 1.5 petrol - which is a straightforward NA engine with no turbo/direct-injection muddling things up.

Your thoughts on the O2 sensor seem reasonable, although 50k sound a little bit on the earlier side for it to be backing up. In any case, for purposes of elimination they could at least try it.

Does your Check Engine Light come on at times, or is it continuously on? Any pattern to it? Do you know the error codes that were logged (even if the CEL goes off later, it is recorded until explicitly cleared) or did Ford tell you that?

Last edited by Aditya : 20th September 2016 at 07:37. Reason: Use of acronym - CEL
Old 17th September 2016, 12:58   #10667
BHPian

Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
The suspension work for both front and rear together was about 25K. Which is reasonable but stuff like tie rods were not touched as they were found to be fine.

I have done my fair share of troubleshooting till the age of 40. Now I prefer it if the dealer studies and solves the issues.

What exactly went wrong with the suspension? What I got to know from service centres is its very rare that they got to work on ecosport suspension as they are quite good even on mileage exceeding 80k .

Is this anyway related to the tyre upgrade that you have carried out ?

@Arun - I also have the rogers suspension kit and I replaced the rear rubber mounts after 15k run on the same .

Last edited by ranjithrnair : 17th September 2016 at 13:03.
ranjithrnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 13:21   #10668
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
What exactly went wrong with the suspension? What I got to know from service centres is its very rare that they got to work on ecosport suspension as they are quite good even on mileage exceeding 80k .

Is this anyway related to the tyre upgrade that you have carried out ?

@Arun - I also have the rogers suspension kit and I replaced the rear rubber mounts after 15k run on the same .
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The suspension/components replacement seem fine given our road conditions, though I wonder if there was a reason they were changed at separate intervals? Also, I think you were among the first to fit a Rogers kit for your suspension. Do you think (or did Ford mention) if that had any role to play in your suspension needing replacement? I think you mentioned your dealer is Satyam Ford?

On the CEL issue - and the Ford dealer's inability to troubleshoot it - it is both annoying and disheartening. I remember you posting about this issue back in June, and to still see this issue dragging on is frustrating. And for crying out loud - yours is the 1.5 petrol - which is a straightforward NA engine with no turbo/direct-injection muddling things up.

Does your CEL come on at times, or is it continuously on? Any pattern to it? Do you know the error codes that were logged (even if the CEL goes off later, it is recorded until explicitly cleared) or did Ford tell you that?
Suspension: I drive hard. The EcoSport is a Pseudo SUV. I drive it like a proper SUV. The Thuds are lesser due to Rogers. Anyways I paid for suspension so Ford has nothing to compain about.

They told me suspension was fine. I insisted on getting the work done. On opening the parts they were found to be totally worn out as expected by me.

Nope tyre upgrade and rogers both soften the impact of rough roads so impact on suspension would be reduced rather than increased.

For CEL. Initally the mechanics are suspecting a Vacuum solinoid pipe that they found to be loose.

They just confirmed that to be the cause and will take for test drive after Lunch.

CEL is continuous and comes on about 1000- 1500 kms after they remove it. Yesterday was in Sport mode but in traffic when I got it.

Am still at the service centre lets see. They would now break for Lunch.

Last edited by ACM : 17th September 2016 at 13:31.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 15:42   #10669

Hi, I have recently purchased EcoSport titanium version. I am unable to connect to USB on the system. It was indexing for quite some time and then it failed to detect the USB. I have formatted my usb in FAT32 format and tried again. Still same issue.
Suggestions please
Old 18th September 2016, 17:52   #10670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suspension: I drive hard. The EcoSport is a Pseudo SUV. I drive it like a proper SUV. The Thuds are lesser due to Rogers. Anyways I paid for suspension so Ford has nothing to compain about.
This brings a question to my mind. While it's a Pseudo SUV, is it more robust that a normal sedan - able to take a higher level of abuse? I ask since you mention that you drive it like a proper SUV.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 18:46   #10671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.toshniwal View Post
Hi, I have recently purchased EcoSport titanium version. I am unable to connect to USB on the system. It was indexing for quite some time and then it failed to detect the USB. I have formatted my usb in FAT32 format and tried again. Still same issue.
Suggestions please
Once i tried using a 32GB pen drive loaded with songs and the navigation seemed to be sluggish. Works fine for lower capacity music. The pen drive needs to be formatted in FAT. NTFS is not supported. Ill recommend you format the drive again and load few songs just to check.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 18:50   #10672

It is a 8gb new brand drive. Tried with only couple of songs but still not working
Old 18th September 2016, 20:13   #10673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.toshniwal View Post
I am unable to connect to USB on the system. It was indexing for quite some time and then it failed to detect the USB. I have formatted my usb in FAT32 format and tried again. Still same issue.
Definitely strange. I've got about 55 GB of MP3s on a 64 GB USB drive and I'm able to use it just fine. Indexing took time (and I still get a verbal reminder that the index is full so voice commands for MP3s will not work), but no problems in actually playing the music.

You mentioned its a new drive - is it a reputed brand? Also, as Samfromindia pointed out, ensure its formatted in FAT32 and not NTFS. Are the songs nested quite deep in folders, or is it just within 1-2 levels of folder depth? Are there any other non-music files on it that might confuse Sync? Finally, are the songs actually in MP3 format, and not in some other format with just an extension of MP3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
While it's a Pseudo SUV, is it more robust that a normal sedan - able to take a higher level of abuse? I ask since you mention that you drive it like a proper SUV.
At the end of the day, its the Fiesta platform, right? Just jacked up in height. That makes it a car. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Ford actually uprated the suspension components to take even more of a beating than the Fiesta. Ford also market the EcoSport as an Urban SUV, so there's little incentive for them to toughen it for off-roading.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 20:53   #10674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford India have put up this video on YouTube to demonstrate the dual seals (beadings) present on the doors of the EcoSport.
How is the beading fixed on the doors - slid onto a metal groove or stuck on a flat surface. I want to know, to see if something similar can be done for the Aspire.
Old 18th September 2016, 21:03   #10675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

At the end of the day, its the Fiesta platform, right? Just jacked up in height. That makes it a car. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Ford actually uprated the suspension components to take even more of a beating than the Fiesta. Ford also market the EcoSport as an Urban SUV, so there's little incentive for them to toughen it for off-roading.
I read somewhere that Duster while being based on the same Dacia B0 platform as the Logan is a lot more robust in build q. I was thinking it's maybe the same, in the case of the Ecosport.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 11:25   #10676
BHPian

Hey guys! After I've finalized Ecosport as the car that suits my many requirements, I went ahead and booked the AT version because of my lower back and knee problems. I understand every car has its weakness and the ocassional flaw(s) but I'm worried after reading a few posts about problems with Ford's AT mechanisms. I just wanted to check with other long term AT owners on how they are faring with the AT mechanism, especially on the Ecosport. Is there a strong ray of hope for me or do I change the booking to manual?
Old 19th September 2016, 11:33   #10677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
I went ahead and booked the AT version. I'm worried after reading a few posts about problems with Ford's AT mechanisms. I just wanted to check with other long term AT owners on how they are faring with the AT mechanism, especially on the Ecosport.
Firstly, hooray on finally making up your mind and clearing out the confusion.

Congratulations on the EcoSport, particularly the AT. That one comes the most number of safety features of all EcoSports. For your 99% of city use, you'll find the AT a boon.

Make sure you get the maximum extended warranty for peace of mind. There is an extension of 3 years available for a total coverage of 5 years.

There are a reasonable number of AT EcoSport owners on the forum, and for the most part they seem fine. There have been a handful of TCM (transmission control module) firmware upgrades done as part of their services.

One very notable case of an AT failure is Murugan's case (see this thread), where his TCM was replaced under warranty.

FYI, I'd made a thread about Ford's automatic transmission, in case you're interested in the technical workings of it. The thread is available here.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 12:06   #10678
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I read somewhere that Duster while being based on the same Dacia B0 platform as the Logan is a lot more robust in build q. I was thinking it's maybe the same, in the case of the Ecosport.
Quote:
This brings a question to my mind. While it's a Pseudo SUV, is it more robust that a normal sedan - able to take a higher level of abuse? I ask since you mention that you drive it like a proper SUV.
Yes it is almost a proper SUV.

In fact for water wadding it is rated to perform better than a Safari, Scorpio, XUV or Duster

The two missing gaps are

1) AWD or 4x4
2) Suspension stiffness that transfers certain types road roughness to the lower back with a THUD. It for example cannot take a speed bump at speeds that say a Safari or Fortuner could. Or rather it would take it but scare and shake you up.

Last edited by ACM : 19th September 2016 at 12:08.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 13:53   #10679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is almost a proper SUV.

In fact for water wadding it is rated to perform better than a Safari, Scorpio, XUV or Duster

The two missing gaps are

1) AWD or 4x4
2) Suspension stiffness that transfers certain types road roughness to the lower back with a THUD. It for example cannot take a speed bump at speeds that say a Safari or Fortuner could. Or rather it would take it but scare and shake you up.
Thanks - that answers some questions.
The suspension is indeed very stiff. I really wonder why they couldn't have tweaked it to be more 'rideable'.
Old 19th September 2016, 14:06   #10680
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, hooray on finally making up your mind and clearing out the confusion.

Congratulations on the EcoSport, particularly the AT. That one comes the most number of safety features of all EcoSports. For your 99% of city use, you'll find the AT a boon.

Make sure you get the maximum extended warranty for peace of mind. There is an extension of 3 years available for a total coverage of 5 years.

There are a reasonable number of AT EcoSport owners on the forum, and for the most part they seem fine. There have been a handful of TCM (transmission control module) firmware upgrades done as part of their services.

One very notable case of an AT failure is Murugan's case (see this thread), where his TCM was replaced under warranty.

FYI, I'd made a thread about Ford's automatic transmission, in case you're interested in the technical workings of it. The thread is available here.
Thanks Arun for the positive words! That article was super helpful in understanding some of the concerns I heard from people who seemed like they weren't aware of how this mechanism works. There are still a few cases like the one you mentioned and a few others that scare me a little, that might force me to spend money on 3 years additional warranty where it might not have been necessary on a manual car. I now don't know if the additional initial cost of the AT + additional warranty is worth the as compared to the manual petrol.

Last edited by komalthecoolk : 19th September 2016 at 14:08. Reason: grammar
komalthecoolk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed